Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Massive Theft

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2020, 08:01 PM
kram
My Feedback: (7)

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Massive Theft

My Omaha RC friend Lynn had his (and 20 other) storage units broken into last week, ra some pieces of his museum-like collection of warbirds thrown in a truck and hauled away.

the big items:

1/4- scale A-26, 180” WS?

1/8-scale B-17 originated with Paul Gubrich, founding member RCU

ROBART P-38 with D-85’s

1/5-scale pristine Stuka

the list is long and heart-breaking. I could get details wrong because I wasn’t exactly familiar with the planes. To make things worse, the thieves obviously knew nothing about what they were doing and so very few if any of the planes were taken with enough fuse and wing parts to actually make them usable. I’m afraid they just got thrown in the dumpster when they got to the marshaling yard. Please pursue aggressively and report to us if you see any fragments or somebody tried to sell something.

I have pictures but too big to upload
The following users liked this post:
tailskid (01-16-2021)
Old 12-24-2020, 06:18 AM
nswords

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What a shame. I hope they are caught.
Old 12-26-2020, 08:02 AM
wulf190
My Feedback: (19)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh man, the sickness I feel right now. Lynn's collection of museum quality planes is incredible. I was involved with building a bunch of them and know them intimately, so keep an eye out on the markets..like ebay for the fenced goods to show up. They are all very unique planes so trying to move them without someone knowing is going to be VERY difficult. Hard to believe the thieves could even have the ability to haul them out..thats a huge undertaking and would involve more than one person and a good deal of time that a camera should have picked up I would think. Thanks for putting the word out Mark
Old 12-26-2020, 08:14 AM
kram

Thanks for the sympathy. Any tips would be appreciated.

Storage yard had no cameras.

from looks of the debris, they had no clue what they were taking or leaving, just throwing it on a truck

your 38, for example: took the center section, left the wings

purely by luck, we moved the Dave Platt 219 out to my place right before Covid hit. I’m working hard to make that flyable

Mark
Old 12-26-2020, 08:51 AM
wulf190
My Feedback: (19)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Brutal. Glad you got the 219 out at least. Hoping the 109, 190 and the Storch and others might have evaded capture
Old 12-28-2020, 06:16 AM
Ram-bro
My Feedback: (101)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

that is a rough one. I know Lynn and his collection....nice stuff. If any of it ends up out here.....You should post this on FB
Old 01-11-2021, 08:12 AM
kram

Ram-bro:

nothing has been found yet. I’m afraid they’re in a landfill by now, but best outcome would be if thieves don’t know how tight and suspicious the Warbird community is and try to sell them for spring

i told Lynn I would put it on FB, but now I don’t exactly know how to do that. I have an account, but fewer than 100 RC friends, and I would like a broader regional (if not national) platform.

any ideas?
Old 01-12-2021, 04:30 PM
u2fast
My Feedback: (37)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

i can post it on fb for you. i am loaded w friends across the country. just need pics and info t help
Old 01-12-2021, 06:07 PM
kram

Thanks, U2!

I'll take you up on that
Old 01-12-2021, 07:19 PM
Chris Nicastro
My Feedback: (3)

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by kram
Ram-bro:

nothing has been found yet. I’m afraid they’re in a landfill by now, but best outcome would be if thieves don’t know how tight and suspicious the Warbird community is and try to sell them for spring

i told Lynn I would put it on FB, but now I don’t exactly know how to do that. I have an account, but fewer than 100 RC friends, and I would like a broader regional (if not national) platform.

any ideas?
Use FB for sure but post the photos on here and in the Sale section as a Wanted Ad. This is already a big RC community online plus add FB as a multiplier you should get great national and international coverage.

Good luck and I hope you get your stuff back soon!
Old 01-18-2021, 07:20 PM
langerl
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for all the sympathy guys. The Police think the meth heads that hit the place took whatever wasn't welded or glued down from twenty OTHER storage bays as well as my models. Along with other fungible stuff in the other storage bays (like air tools, power tools, compressors, etc.) in my case, they probably don't even know or care what they were taking. Just pretty airplanes. With the number of broken wheel well doors, pitot tubes and spare pieces LEFT BEHIND in the shed it probably meant they just dragged all the models out of the place as fast as they could and dumped them in a waiting van, a REALLY BIG van, without caring about damage.
Such is life in our country nowadays.
Please pass the word when you can about these stolen models and if you see or hear of anything regarding them, call me at 402 731-8396 or email me at [email protected]
Thanks and Regards,
Lynn
Old 10-03-2021, 06:47 PM
Ram-bro
My Feedback: (101)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Updates

Any news or recovery on any of the planes and or gear?
Old 10-04-2021, 09:25 AM
langerl
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Massive Theft status.

Nope. Not a sign of any of the models on any website classified that I've been monitoring; RCU, RCSB, Flying Giants, RC Groups, Ebay. Not a word from anyone in the hobby, nor the police or the 'detective' assigned to the case. How about you? Seen or heard anything?