Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Brian Taylor Hellcat Build

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Brian Taylor Hellcat Build

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2021, 07:35 PM
SMUGator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brian Taylor Hellcat Build

Hi folks,

Re-introducing myself to the forum since I've been inactive for a decade or so while I've been busy restoring a 1939 boat and building a scale model of the same. But I'm getting the RC Warbird bug again. The handful of folks that remember me may recall that my passion is highly detailed scale building. Before I took time away from building warbirds, I gathered most of the bits necessary for a scale build of the Brian Taylor Hellcat. I was inspired by the hack of the CMP Hellcat that was pretty active at that time. So after digging through my attic and dusty parts bins, I find that I have the following components...

Fiberglass fuselage and Cowl that I purchased from Corsair Jock and a short kit laser cut by Bob Holman with the full plan set.

Closer look at the cowl and lip.

N.I.B OS FS 120 pumper

Sierra 100 deg retracts.

Cockpit Kit, drop tanks, gear doors, cowl and dummy radial from a small batch made by Luke Zollner. He's had a lot of aliases on here but I remember him as Dionysus Bacchus.

Dummy radial by TopFlite and a single cylinder kit from Williams Bros that I was considering using to create a mold and produce my own dummy.

Pilot from Vailly Aviation that I had finshed painting to split time in this bird and my 1/8 Corsair that is still in the attic in primer.

Pilot profile.

I'll be looking for advice in a few areas:
  • I'm a very confident stick builder, but this will be my first go with a fiberglass fuse, so will be looking for tips and tricks there.
  • I know that a lot has changed with technology in 10+ years, so hope to get back up to speed more quickly with some advice - particularly with regard to engines and electronics. I could be convinced to switch from glow to gas, but I don't think I want to go electric.
But my first question is if you were starting a scale build thread now, where would you go for this project? This site, the Brian Taylor forum on RC Scale Builder and RC Groups seem like the obvious choices, but there may be others. Where are the scale warbird guys mostly hanging out these days?

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Tom
Old 01-03-2021, 05:15 AM
CK1
My Feedback: (60)

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Tom , I think you will find that RCSB is the site for scale building of any kind . RCSB is a pay for play site but it is very much worth the 20.00 yearly donation to get the best advice from the top builders from all over the world . You will find them very welcoming and highly resourceful. Just my 2 cents worth.
Old 01-03-2021, 05:39 AM
R8893
My Feedback: (20)

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

RCSB +1
chuck
Old 01-03-2021, 06:32 AM
Tony Gag Jr.
My Feedback: (124)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

RCSB 100% the place to be for a scale build thread.
Old 01-03-2021, 10:36 AM
SMUGator

Thanks for the advice, guys. Look for progress in the Brian Taylor forum over there if you are interested in progress. Should have something up in the next day or so.

Tom
Old 01-04-2021, 06:01 PM
SMUGator

My build thread will be here if anyone is interested in following along.