Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

TopRC giant P-47 Thunderbolt ARF

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

TopRC giant P-47 Thunderbolt ARF

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2022, 12:29 PM
Colt4570

Received 49 Likes on 33 Posts

Thanks Brad!
The following users liked this post:
jgibbons (03-09-2024)
Old 05-18-2022, 08:35 AM
Colt4570

Finished up the horizontal stabs and the elevators.

Can anyone share photos of their tailwheel door opening and closing setup? Kind of stuck on this one, thanks.

4-40 t-nut in horizontal tube

got away with 1" arms

keeping things in place
JRSmith (05-18-2022)
Old 05-18-2022, 08:46 AM
Colt4570

For those that haven't played with the tailwheel assembly at all, I noticed the spring motion was very stiff and clunky.

I descrambled the spring portion and found a sharp burred edge on the bottom of the cylinder that goes into the shock. I removed that burr and put some grease on the cylinder, which improved the movement quite a bit.

The following 2 users liked this post by Colt4570:
cluzeauu (03-23-2023), JRSmith (05-18-2022)
Old 05-18-2022, 05:42 PM
JRSmith
My Feedback: (47)

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Mine arrived today and upon initial inspection, it looks very nice. They do pack them well and I have not seen any damage yet, still a couple parts to open up. But the main parts all look good. The landing gear was shipped in a separate shipping box, which was good. I will get a closer look once I start diving into the assembly.

Couple of item to quickly check off the list first are:
  • I would like to make the cockpit removable for easier access to the rear half of the fuselage. Feels like a couple areas that could use some type of re-enforcement and they only way I can see to access is to have the cockpit removable.
  • Designing a stand to hold the fuselage in place on the work table.
After looking at the cowl and mounting, I am thinking about designing a cowling frame, similar to the full size, and have the ability to remove the side cowling panels and place the flight batteries in the cowling. I would like to use as little dead weight as possible and if I can figure out a way to mount the four 6S batteries in the cowl, I would believe that would help with CG and extra un-needed weight. Just a thought, might not be worth the effort, but I tend to do a lot things that are not worth the effort, only interesting to me! Getting ;lots of ideas already after initially going through the model.

I have all the parts here to start working and the Neu-Motor 8025-150kV should work out great.

Anyways, I figured I would post some picture if interested. I am not sure if you guys want me to clog up this thread, so please let me know if you would like me to take my assembly into another forum or thread. No offense taken if you guys want me to pound sand and move on. I learned my lesson with the 3D part! Thanks and take care.

Initial unboxing of ARF

Fuselage left side, paint work is very good.

Fuselage front right angled, love the shape of the P-47!

Neu Motors 8025-150kV with DA 100 prop adapter

Very tempting to design a full cowl frame and have opening panels for battery access.

Takes up the entire work table , may have to reorganize the area to get more space.

The following 2 users liked this post by JRSmith:
Colt4570 (05-18-2022), maddog-RCU (05-19-2022)
Old 05-18-2022, 07:46 PM
Colt4570

Not a huge fan of baby blue, but I really like the overall scheme on that one.

I enjoy seeing what other people are doing with theirs. Giving each other ideas is how we come up with the best results on our builds.
Old 05-19-2022, 05:10 AM
JRSmith

Originally Posted by Colt4570
Not a huge fan of baby blue, but I really like the overall scheme on that one.

I enjoy seeing what other people are doing with theirs. Giving each other ideas is how we come up with the best results on our builds.
The baby blue is definitely light blue, but with a little bit if detailing and dirt washes down the road, is should tone it down.
Old 05-19-2022, 05:18 AM
maddog-RCU
My Feedback: (23)

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Welcome JRSmith; keep posting your build; I think yours is the first for an electric build here.
Yes the fuselage does take up a lot of space; I found a nice holder from RCplanestands for working on my P-47.
If you want to invest some dollars they also have a table top version.
I have been chasing gremlins with mine now for weeks and NOW had to order a replacement jack screw for the tailwheel; one day it was working fine the next it wouldn't run but for a second in either direction.
Here is a picture of mine in it's work cradle.

Old 05-19-2022, 05:58 AM
JRSmith

Originally Posted by maddog-RCU
Welcome JRSmith; keep posting your build; I think yours is the first for an electric build here.
Yes the fuselage does take up a lot of space; I found a nice holder from RCplanestands for working on my P-47.
If you want to invest some dollars they also have a table top version.
I have been chasing gremlins with mine now for weeks and NOW had to order a replacement jack screw for the tailwheel; one day it was working fine the next it wouldn't run but for a second in either direction.
Here is a picture of mine in it's work cradle.
Thanks, I don't believe I am the first electric build. Bradley has already begun his electric build using the Esprit 120. Going to be a nice setup.

I like the RCplanestands and may invest in one, they seem to be very nice and much more robust then the aluminum stand I have. Although, for the table top stand I will be making my own cradle to hold it and will also serve as a transport stand. Just have to get time in CAD.

Yours looks very nice. BTW, did you receive the part I sent you? Thanks.
bradley (05-20-2022)
Old 05-19-2022, 12:14 PM
Colt4570

Mike,

Did you ever figure out the interference issue when activating the gear?

Darrin
Old 05-20-2022, 05:11 AM
maddog-RCU

JR; yes I did get the part; I shot you an e-mail thanking you; now I just need to install it.
Darrin; My interference issue was solved once I went to all digital servos for the flying surfaces; it seems the analog servos with the long servo wire runs couldn't handle it.
Still waiting on the replacement jack screw I ordered on Wednesday the 18th; I was told it was in stock and they were going to ship that day or the next at the latest.

Old 05-20-2022, 05:40 AM
JRSmith

JR; yes I did get the part; I shot you an e-mail thanking you; now I just need to install it.
Darrin; My interference issue was solved once I went to all digital servos for the flying surfaces; it seems the analog servos with the long servo wire runs couldn't handle it.
Still waiting on the replacement jack screw I ordered on Wednesday the 18th; I was told it was in stock and they were going to ship that day or the next at the latest.
Glad it arrived, I hope you can find some use for it, I will have to check in my spam or junk folders, never received an email. But that happens from time to time. Take care.
Old 05-20-2022, 07:39 AM
Colt4570

Good deal, glad you figured it out. Hope you get that screw soon, so we can see that good looking bird in the air!.
Old 05-20-2022, 03:22 PM
maddog-RCU

Screw is on its way.
Once I get everything back together and re-installed, I will snap a picture for you to show you how I did the doors on mine.
Old 05-20-2022, 07:21 PM
Colt4570

Sounds good Mike, thanks.
Old 05-22-2022, 12:52 PM
Colt4570

Reinforced some glue joints and added a 1/4" spacer to the top of the tailwheel mount to get some extra clearance of the gear doors.

Factory

Added Hysol and spacer

Old 05-23-2022, 07:54 AM
maddog-RCU

Colt; you will need to redrill the holes in the former also now that you added that spacer on the bottom.
I avoided this by re doing the doors on mine so they would open up wider so not to drag on the grass.
I pulled the doors off and sanded down the edge of the door so it could open up wider.
Old 05-23-2022, 01:36 PM
yeahbaby
My Feedback: (21)

Received 58 Likes on 47 Posts

Is anyone using the Bench top version of the RC plane stands? Curious if the midsize 8.5 with 46” long rails would be a good height for the bench.

any help would be great.
Old 05-23-2022, 10:52 PM
Colt4570

Colt; you will need to redrill the holes in the former also now that you added that spacer on the bottom.
I avoided this by re doing the doors on mine so they would open up wider so not to drag on the grass.
I pulled the doors off and sanded down the edge of the door so it could open up wider.
Yup, already re-drilled all the mounting holes. I had to sand the outside edges of the doors just to get them to open straight down, lol. I was afraid of having too much gap on the doors if I made them open much further. How did the gap end up on the outside edge of your doors? Thanks Mike.

Now just trying to get all the servo leads and pull pull wires ready to go just so I don't have to take the tailwheel out too many times. The screws are a pain in the *** to install with the gear in place!

Darrin
Old 05-24-2022, 05:27 AM
maddog-RCU

LOL;
Darrin I have been down that road 3 times now; and starting today with the replacement of the jack screw for the tailwheel will be number 4.
The toughest part is keeping the servo leads from being entangled with the pull pull cables for the rudder and tail wheel.
Old 05-24-2022, 09:09 AM
PaulD
My Feedback: (39)

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Colt4570
Finished up the horizontal stabs and the elevators.

Can anyone share photos of their tailwheel door opening and closing setup? Kind of stuck on this one, thanks.

After reading some posts on a FB group I discovered the stock tailwheel mounting location is too high up in the fuse and with the compression of the

4-40 t-nut in horizontal tube

got away with 1" arms

keeping things in place
strut the doors can hit the ground and break. I remounted mine 3/8” ish lower and then used ball links with short linkages to the doors from the gear arms. It’s a ***** to get the links to move the correct amounts and have the doors close AND not hit the tailwheel while closing. If I were to do it again I’d use servos. (I did run a servo wire to the back) if I can find my pictures I’ll post them….
Old 05-24-2022, 09:10 AM
PaulD
My Feedback: (39)

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

yep, same for mine

PaulD
Old 05-24-2022, 12:13 PM
maddog-RCU

Well guys it sure seems I got the lemon when it comes to this P-47.
When my plane arrived, the canopy was all smashed to heck because the landing gear was just tossed into the box; it wasn't even in its own box at all.
So, during the transport it broke the canopy glass which Gator RC did replace for me; but now I have a tail gear with a jack screw that will not work; I called and told them I needed a replacement they checked, and they had one; GREAT I think.
Well it shows up and it is for something else all together; I thought maybe I could swap out the internals but the one they sent is to big to fit into the casing needed for the P-47.
So now I sit here with no retractable tailwheel.
The attached pictures show the unit I got shipped to me as a replacement (copper colored one) and the P-47 unit (silver colored one)
This is my first big warbird that has electric retracts and I can tell you it is leaving a very sour taste in my mouth.
Thanks for letting me vent.

Old 05-25-2022, 05:44 AM
marksp
My Feedback: (9)

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

That sucks...and quite frankly a bit surprising to hear that the kits are still being shipped in that manner after the feedback from earlier shipments. The manufacturer does a great job of packaging the airframe, but the box gets opened after arriving in the U.S. and poorly secured retracts and retract controller get tossed in. In my case, the gear was not secured at all!
Old 05-25-2022, 05:56 AM
JRSmith

Originally Posted by marksp
That sucks...and quite frankly a bit surprising to hear that the kits are still being shipped in that manner after the feedback from earlier shipments. The manufacturer does a great job of packaging the airframe, but the box gets opened after arriving in the U.S. and poorly secured retracts and retract controller get tossed in. In my case, the gear was not secured at all!
I recently received my P-47 ARF and Gator RC is now shipping the landing gear in a separate shipment, they are no longer in the box with the airplane.
Old 05-25-2022, 05:59 AM
marksp
My Feedback: (9)

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

brilliant!
Rick227 (04-15-2024)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.