Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Build thread: readying the Hanger 9 mustang 1/5th scale.

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Build thread: readying the Hanger 9 mustang 1/5th scale.

Old 12-31-2021, 01:43 PM
Txmustangflyer

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

90 mm bolt has now been converted to a stud..but not without blood loss..the bolt slipped in my grip and the diamond cutter bit me..the mustang has now drawn blood..its officially mine.

Grade 8 bolts are freaking hard. Lol. Can't trim the anti rotation pins until I have the spinner

Last edited by Txmustangflyer; 12-31-2021 at 03:10 PM.
Old 12-31-2021, 02:29 PM
karolh

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Txmustangflyer View Post
90 mm bolt has now been converted to a stud..but not without blood loss..the bolt slipped in my grip and the diamond cutter bit me..the mustang has now drawn blood..its officially mine.

Grade 8 bolts are freaking hard. Lol. Can't trim rhe anti rotation pins until I have the spinner
Sorry you had to spill some blood, but the RC Gods have to be appeased. That's one sweet looking prop and engine arrangement you have there. Your choice of colour gets my vote for your plane stand, and a happy New Year to you and yours when it comes.

Last edited by karolh; 12-31-2021 at 02:35 PM.
Old 12-31-2021, 03:09 PM
Txmustangflyer

Lol thanks..now if I could get my SR10 pro to register to my x20...
Old 12-31-2021, 04:59 PM
Txmustangflyer

Reciever now bound to the x20.

I was goofing up the binding process. Managed to muddle through it.
Old 01-03-2022, 03:09 PM
Txmustangflyer

It seems Tower's shipment of the P51 kits has been delayed, yet again. Looking at alternative avenues to get the airframe here.
Old 01-05-2022, 11:21 AM
Txmustangflyer

WOOHOO! Graves RC has 3 in stock (now two) Its on its way.
Old 01-05-2022, 01:59 PM
Txmustangflyer

Main gear wheels/tires direct from Robart
Old 01-05-2022, 03:56 PM
Txmustangflyer

Also ordered different standoffs. The ones I origionally sourced were made for m5 bolts, the zenoah needs m6 and not enough "meat" to drill them out.
McMaster-Carr gets mo money.
Old 01-05-2022, 04:34 PM
Txmustangflyer

Now that the airframe is on its way, the only thing to worry about is the exhaust and spinner..I've been holding off getting those ordered until I knew I had something to use them for.

I also find that, after 8 years away from the hobby, I am nervous but excited to get this underway, finally. I'm going to rely on you all to help me through any trouble spots as my skills at building are rustier than my flying skills. I looked. My esm P51 build was almost 11 years ago..a fifth of my life since I last built, and dialed in an ARF. This Mustang is a "builder's ARF" with problems to address right out of the box. Wing tubes probably won't fit right, covering issues, the flap servo horns have given problems, canopy fitment issues for some, the gear doors are finicky. As far as the thread, I'm going to try to detail as much as possible, each step for anyone who follows and builds this ARF later.

I also need to order some Klass Kote this week, for painting of the firewall, (its fuel proof) the insides of the gear doors, main gear bays. Ordering a zinc oxide color as I think that would be correct, also a good difference from the silver on the outside to be able to tell from the ground if things are as they should be. Also can be used for touch ups on the cockpit panels as needed. I need to check with Callie-Graphix and see how thats progressing. I gave her a livery she didn't have already done so she's creating a new file from scratch. It differs from the two included liveries in that the rudder is yellow, the only color change to the airframe that will be needed. It shouldn't be too hard. The rest is all Callie. Haven't gotten an update from her since before Christmas, so I'll check in with her at the end of the week. Holidays are hectic for everyone and I know she was swamped with orders. Its build season here in the US.

The spinner, I think my wife and I will be making a day trip to Deer Park Texas, home of Tru-Turn with an engine, prop, and two Akitas in tow to make sure its a dead on fit. I'll take the template I made as well. The thing I have to be sure of is the pitch can be adjusted throughout the full range of the Varioprop without having to renotch the spinner. Means the gap between the spinner and prop may be a bit wide at some points but its gotta be that way. Spinner back plate is 1/4 inch thick, according to Wendy there. I'll be able to trim down the anti rotation pins to suit.

Last edited by Txmustangflyer; 01-05-2022 at 05:22 PM.
Old 01-07-2022, 02:44 AM
Txmustangflyer

Ordered the Klass Kote, spoke with Jiri about a cockpit kit, sourced proper stand offs, bolts, nuts, Ordered a CF tube and ends to fab throttle and choke control levers. 3mm jet clevises for that.

Old 01-07-2022, 03:20 AM
Txmustangflyer

Fedex showing delivery of airframe possibly tomorrow. Scrambling to get home day after to go pick it up.

Last edited by Txmustangflyer; 01-07-2022 at 01:21 PM.
Old 01-07-2022, 11:00 AM
szandors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

These are pleasant excitements! We support you! Making your dreams come true is something worth living for!
The following users liked this post:
Txmustangflyer (01-07-2022)
Old 01-07-2022, 03:30 PM
Txmustangflyer

Thanks Alexander. I hope you get my other dream plane flying soon
Old 01-07-2022, 04:03 PM
Bill Rademacher
My Feedback: (77)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad to follow this build thread. I just finished my build, and I'm in to balancing it. I built it stock with a DLE 55. I'll be interested in how much nose weight you use, and how you mount it. Mine seems to need a lot so far, and I am not finished yet.

thanks

Bill
Old 01-07-2022, 04:27 PM
Bill Rademacher
My Feedback: (77)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On the topic of your balancer, it'll take two people whatever you decide, obviously. One way that I use: pickup a slab of pink foam at a big box store. Cut two matching rectangles maybe 3 feet by one foot/18 inches or so. All the measurements are flexible. On the top narrower edge of both slabs, glue a curved leading edge piece of balsa in the center for placing on the balance point. At the bottom, drill three holes for 1" or larger PVC pipes. Make these pipes several inches wider than the fuselage, or as wide as you want. The slabs of foam slide on the pipes to match the width of the fuselage (or any fuselage). You can use it to balance any plane, even planes with floats attached. And it's cheap. If it seems too weak for the weight, double the thickness.

Bill
Old 01-07-2022, 08:00 PM
Txmustangflyer

Originally Posted by Bill Rademacher View Post
Glad to follow this build thread. I just finished my build, and I'm in to balancing it. I built it stock with a DLE 55. I'll be interested in how much nose weight you use, and how you mount it. Mine seems to need a lot so far, and I am not finished yet.

thanks

Bill
Even with the engine 1 lb lighter than stock, its still heavier than your 55 cc. I'm hoping that it will balance without weight because of that. The varioprop is around a lb heavier than the 23x8 xoar scimitar I have for tuning. All in all, vs your engine and prop, probably almost 2 lbs heavier in the nose,

at this point, hoping to not have to add tail weight lol.
Old 01-07-2022, 08:14 PM
Txmustangflyer

So, as some of you know, I've been puzzled over how I was going to cg this "monster" of a plane. I've had a lot of goid suggestions, from home built stuff to commercially available kits for balancers.

Tonight, I made the final decision, and it boiled down to 2 things.
1. The future: with the wife wanting to fly rc, the future holds 3 more planes, minimum all different sizes.
2. Space: mainly storing whatever I used. After a good month of reading, videos, etc, checking out all the different methods, I had to go with what would simply stash in a drawer or a case.

I pulled the trigger on the Xicoy. I hated to do it as the xicoy was almost 400 bucks, but, in the end, it is an investment and it will make making minute adjustments much easier, no matter the plane.

Last edited by Txmustangflyer; 01-07-2022 at 10:39 PM.
Old 01-07-2022, 10:43 PM
Txmustangflyer

The other thing I'm looking at tonight is lighting, mainly the nav and position lights.
Probably goe with the kit from Iflytailies
Old 01-09-2022, 07:34 PM
Txmustangflyer

Getting really angry with Fedex, two, so-called, delivery attempts. No knock at door, no doir tag, no nothing. If they "fail" today they will return the mustang to Graves RC. Attempting to get them to keep it at the hub so I can go get it.

I freaking hate Fed Ex. They have become completely hopeless where I live. This will be the second "package" in as many months that I've had issues with. First was 600 bucks in ammo that nobody has been able to find anywhere since it shipped. Can't get it replaced, out of stock.
Now the mustang. The phrase going postal needs an update..I'm gonna go fedex on some nitwits.

Last edited by Txmustangflyer; 01-10-2022 at 12:27 AM.
Old 01-10-2022, 04:23 AM
karolh

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Txmustangflyer View Post
Getting really angry with Fedex, two, so-called, delivery attempts. No knock at door, no doir tag, no nothing. If they "fail" today they will return the mustang to Graves RC. Attempting to get them to keep it at the hub so I can go get it.

I freaking hate Fed Ex. They have become completely hopeless where I live. This will be the second "package" in as many months that I've had issues with. First was 600 bucks in ammo that nobody has been able to find anywhere since it shipped. Can't get it replaced, out of stock.
Now the mustang. The phrase going postal needs an update..I'm gonna go fedex on some nitwits.
Txmustangflyer I feel your pain. I had a similar situation as just before the holidays I purchased a little 3ch. electric heli as a present for my God daughter. The Fed Ex tracking showed it as delivered to someone at the front desk of my courier service, yet they had no record of ever receiving it. Amazon gave me a refund but that was little consolidation as the damage was done.
Old 01-10-2022, 04:39 PM
Txmustangflyer

It has begun. Rudder has already chameleoned to cub yellow.

Going to have to do a bit of sanding to the wing tube holes on center wing starboard side, tuebes won't go in. Same with wing that side..that will wait till next trip home and can get some supplies to do so. Was hoping to avoid that one...
another hitch..whoever built the left wing fished the servo lead pull line through the fiberglass for the wing tube and out the wing tube hole...thats going to be a fun fix..
Old 01-11-2022, 04:48 AM
Txmustangflyer

Working on getting wings to go on and off smooth

No misalignment issues, just extremely snug. Right wing tube wouldn't go into center wing at all. Outside hole through rib was smaller than the inside if the rib, also a raised "burr" in the opening on side closest to nose. Some quick filing woth a wood file smoothed that. Will need to sand right cener wing rib a bit. It folds right wing out 16th of an inch when wing is hard against center wing. I'll do some measuring first as it may be the sheeting on that side might be a 16th short. The cap is not huge. Wings align great. No issues there. They are just super tight to the point I worry about popping joints trying to get them seperated.
scoop is going to need a bit of sanding as well in the flange. The fit isn't the greatest.

Last edited by Txmustangflyer; 01-11-2022 at 04:55 AM.
Old 01-11-2022, 07:51 AM
Hot Rod Todd
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Nice to see a newer building thread on the H9 Mustang. I started on mine a couple months ago.
Some comments about what you're doing so far:
Your fuel tank seems a bit small for the G62. I like to have 8 min. flight time with some extra so I can fly at events. That's usually 24 oz. tank with a 60cc engine. I'm putting a DLE-65 on my Mustang, and I'll be using a 32 oz. tank. This P-51 is big enough that I believe I won't be happy flying around on lower throttle settings.
I commend your work to get a 4 blade prop on there. I would recommend you do the maiden with a two blade. I suspect you will have a big drop in performance with the 4 blade (even after the pitch is set right) when compared to the 22X10 that a G62 seems to work best with.
I'm stripping and glassing my P51. I also decided to make the wing a one piece. I didn't really like the fit of the wings, and didn't want to struggle with them every time I go to the field.
I went with a Dave Brown Spinner. The new place that took over production don't have any, but I found some at Meister Scale. The 5.5" Dave Brown spinner fits perfectly, and at $115 is quite a bit cheaper than a tru-turn.
Here's a photo showing my spinner fit.

So far I think I've worked past the issues I had with the kit. The wing fit wasn't great, but since I'm gluing it together I only needed it to slide in one time. The scoop fit was bad. It was off center so bad that I had to get another one from Tower. The new one was better, and with a bit of work I got it to match up nicely. I added some balsa to the fuse to get a better match.

I'll post some more photos and get the thread caught up on my progress.
Old 01-11-2022, 07:56 AM
Txmustangflyer

I have a 20 oz on the way. Rhought the same.
Old 01-11-2022, 08:44 AM
Hot Rod Todd
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I did a test fit on the DLE-65, and it seems like it will work fine. I didn't have the P-51 muffler, so I had to make a cutout for the Standard Pitts. I made some mods to maximize the air outlet to help the cooling. The flap on the back helps to pull the air out, and I modified the hatch to include a vent. Opened up a few more holes in the firewall to allow the vent to help with the cooling. I'm hoping it works out well. I hate having cooling issues since I usually fly in the heat of summer.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.