Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

The Typhoon and the Tempest - dual build

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

The Typhoon and the Tempest - dual build

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2022, 08:37 AM
Joe-RCBuilder

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Tempest

With the flaps working, I've built the other wing panel and joined the entire wing together.

Old 11-15-2022, 08:43 AM
Joe-RCBuilder

Default Tempest

Now working on the ailerons. Ian's design called for a hinge line near the top of the aileron and 1/2" back from its leading edge. With his brass tube and steel rod hinge, this worked great, was completely hidden. I'm keeping things simpler with Robart pin hinges. But, if I hinge at the locations he shows, there will be big slots in the top of the aileron at each pin hinge. So, I'm building more traditional ailerons that have a rounded face and hinge in the center.

Old 11-20-2022, 02:25 AM
Prekin
My Feedback: (19)

Received 78 Likes on 71 Posts

Nice projects! I like those British fighters! Will follow your thread.
Just only curious, if you took Brian Taylor Typhoon, why you would not choose also Tempest from BT?
Old 11-20-2022, 03:54 PM
Joe-RCBuilder

Originally Posted by Prekin
Nice projects! I like those British fighters! Will follow your thread.
Just only curious, if you took Brian Taylor Typhoon, why you would not choose also Tempest from BT?
Good question ... the idea started because I had an IB Tempest on the shelf, ready to start. We looked for something similar for my friend to build and the BT Typhoon looked like a great choice. I gave us two similar, but not identical, planes.
The following users liked this post:
apereira (11-21-2022)
Old 11-21-2022, 12:49 AM
Prekin
My Feedback: (19)

Received 78 Likes on 71 Posts

Thank you for answer!
I supposed you got both kits in one order.
Old 03-11-2023, 12:51 PM
Joe-RCBuilder

Default Tempest

It's been a while since I posted here ... our club has a winter building group who this year took on the Duelist. I joined in, but bashed it into a Pucara. Here's the finished plane, waiting for a maiden.

Old 03-11-2023, 12:53 PM
Joe-RCBuilder

Default Tempest

Back to the Tempest. The ailerons are complete and servos installed. I mounted the servo to the inside of the wing instead of to the bottom of the hatch. Thought it might be easier, but it was just as much work.

Old 04-29-2023, 06:49 AM
Joe-RCBuilder

Default Tempest

More progress on the wing. It's mostly complete now. Built out wheel wells and some bottom sheeting
Need to finish the bottom sheeting and add the wing tips.

Old 04-29-2023, 06:51 AM
Joe-RCBuilder

Default Tempest

Work on the fuse now under way.
Making the internal box structure.

Old 04-29-2023, 06:58 AM
Joe-RCBuilder

Default Tempest

Framing up the whole fuse. aligned to 2 box frames. Joined them with 1/4" sq. Then started adding the rounded formers.
You'll note that the firewall is set back from the front of the box frames as the NGH 38 is much larger than the intended engine. To this end, I have also made the firewall 3/8" thick (instead of the 1/4"). Also will add ply doublers to the sides and pin the firewall to the doublers.

Old 04-29-2023, 07:01 AM
Joe-RCBuilder

Default Tempest

Took a bit of a detour to assemble the cowl. This arrived as 2 halves of very heavy vacuum formed plastic. Like 1/8" thick. With all the curves to this cowl it took a lot of cutting and sanding to get the 2 parts to mate. Ultimately did and the whole seam is reinforced with fiberglass on the inside.

Old 04-29-2023, 07:07 AM
Joe-RCBuilder

Default Tempest

I'm just going to add that while the cowl looks good, I think the idea of making this out of vacuum formed plastic was a terrible idea. Couple of reasons:
- the 1/8" thick plastic is a LOT thicker than the original fiberglass one shown in the plans. This means I'll have to alter the fuse formers where they mate to the cowl to get a smooth transition. Was the primary reason I got the cowl together now.
- I don't think the plastic will take the abuse that fiberglass will. Also, when dealing with repairs, making a fiberglass to fiberglass patch will get a better result than a fiberglass to plastic patch.

Old 04-29-2023, 07:46 AM
R8893
My Feedback: (20)

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I have been able to improve the durability of plastic parts by lining the inside with fiberglass. I use PVC pipe cement to do this. Use the minimum amount of cement to avoid melting the plastic. Usually epoxy will not bond the fiberglass to the plastic.
Chuck