Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

The Typhoon and the Tempest - dual build

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

The Typhoon and the Tempest - dual build

Old 09-17-2022, 08:09 PM
Joe-RCBuilder

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default The Typhoon and the Tempest - dual build

Hey all. A friend of mine and I will be building a couple of British fighters together and thought we'd share the journey.
#1 plane: Hawker Typhoon 1b, Brian Taylor plans, Wingspan: 72.75″ / 1848 mm, planned engine YS-140
#2 plane: Hawker Tempest V, Ian Baily plans, Wingspan: 75.5"/1918mm, planned engine Saito 150

We've got basic kits to build from, you know cut parts and bits and bobs to make the rest of the plane

Typhoon 1b

Tempest V
Old 09-18-2022, 08:03 AM
Joe-RCBuilder

Default Tempest

Here's the parts set for the Tempest. The parts were cut by "American Kit Cutters", who have been out of business for some time. The plans are quite old, actual blue prints that are significantly degraded, but remain usable ... just barely.

Old 09-18-2022, 08:10 AM
Joe-RCBuilder

Default Tempest

After laying out all the parts, found that one of the ribs is cut short (2nd pic). This needs to be fixed before assembly. Bottom #4 is short 1/16". Top is fixed.

Old 09-18-2022, 08:12 AM
Joe-RCBuilder

Default Tempest

Assembly begins! H-stab and elevator coming together. Built in 2 clam shell halves ... what you see below is 1 half (top or bottom) of the symmetrical H-stab and elevator.

Old 09-18-2022, 08:14 AM
c550
My Feedback: (16)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Love the Tempest, I look forward to checking in on your progress.
Old 09-19-2022, 05:47 PM
jngoins

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Typhoon Build

The Typhoon Short Kit and Wood Pack was purchased from UK cutter Sarik Hobbies. All of the laser cut parts look very good except one over burned 1/4" former part that was recut. My only complaint is that the plans were folded rather than rolled. The shipping container could have easily accommodated rolled plans. The plans appear to be of good quality however, many areas could have been dimensioned better to help the builder. I will begin posting pictures soon.
Old 09-21-2022, 04:22 PM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

If you are interested in what can be achieved with the BT Typhoon then take a look at the link below. Possibly the best build of this airplane that I have ever come across with lots of good hints and tips. Good luck with your birds!

https://www.rcscalebuilder.com/forum...TID=12341&PN=1

Old 09-21-2022, 05:52 PM
Joe-RCBuilder

Originally Posted by Chad Veich View Post
If you are interested in what can be achieved with the BT Typhoon then take a look at the link below. Possibly the best build of this airplane that I have ever come across with lots of good hints and tips. Good luck with your birds!

https://www.rcscalebuilder.com/forum...TID=12341&PN=1

Wow, incredible finish. And the build thread itself ... better than a 1000 page instruction manual!!
Old 09-22-2022, 05:21 PM
Joe-RCBuilder

Default Tempest

Started work on the other side of the H-stab. Instead of building a 2nd half and gluing it together like a calm shell, I am building the 2nd half on top of the first.
Plans call to hollow out the stab tips to save weight. Decided to do this and measure it. Savings of 20g. The difference in moment arms is 5 to 1. So saved potentially having to add 100g to the nose.
Given I might increase the engine size on this plane, I will be beefing up a few places. In the H-stab I added carbon fiber to the top and bottom spar and added sheer webbing. This added 3g back in. Worthwhile investment.

can see hollowed out tip and 1 of the CF spars.

assembling 2nd half on first.

Upgraded spar in complete.

H-stab finished save the 1/16" sheeting.
Old 09-23-2022, 04:40 PM
jngoins

Thanks for the link. I will definitely study it carefully for tips. This is my first build from plans. This along with my fellow builder of the Tempest will be very helpful.
Old 09-24-2022, 07:35 PM
Joe-RCBuilder

Default Tempest

Picking up work on the elevator. First shot shows the insides. I will not be using the brass tube and piano wire hinge shown on the plan. Very scale looking, but Robart pin hinges will be easier. Also, I'll use 2 servos to drive the 2 elevators instead of making up a metal joiner. The control horn sitting on a ply plate. The hinges are shown in roughly the right position with hinge pivot point about 3/8" back from the LE.
Second photo shows the completed elevator, with the tip glued on as well as the sheeting. Note the oversized trim tab.

Old 09-24-2022, 07:39 PM
Joe-RCBuilder

Default Tempest

I do wish to thank the small businesses that cut parts for plans. It does save a ton time. But I DO wish they would have someone build the plane from their parts to correct the errors. There are always several. Most recent example are the tip blocks for the elevators. In the pict below the block on the left came with the kit. The grain here is going the wrong way. Once this part is cut down to size it will spit and snap into pieces along the grain. The one on the right is my recut part. Ah well.

Old 09-26-2022, 07:17 PM
Joe-RCBuilder

Default Tempest

After a TON of sanding ... I've got the H-stab and elevators completed. They are hinged and have an easy 3/4" travel up and down. They'll need final sanding and shaping before fiberglassing, but are done for now. Next will be the rudder, which should be quick. then on to the main event, the fuse.

Very rough cut to shape here, before sanding.

Completed and assembled.

Not bad :-)
Old 09-26-2022, 07:20 PM
jngoins

Default Typhoon

So my friend, you are blasting away. I made progress on my H Stab and hope to finish this week. So you are building the Fuse before the Wing. cusoon
Old 09-26-2022, 07:40 PM
Joe-RCBuilder

Originally Posted by jngoins View Post
So my friend, you are blasting away. I made progress on my H Stab and hope to finish this week. So you are building the Fuse before the Wing. cusoon
yea, was thinking of building the fuse first to get the H and V stabs mounted. But it's a tossup. If you want to build the wing first as you'll be in AZ, that's good with me too. CU.