Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

WW I Fabric Covering Help needed

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

WW I Fabric Covering Help needed

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2003, 02:07 PM
pipescs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WW I Fabric Covering Help needed

I am looking for help on how to simulate the seam and lasing in the fabric down the side of a Sopwith Camel fuselage. I am planning on using Super Coverite.
Old 10-14-2003, 02:28 PM
sail-arc22

Default RE: WW I Fabric Covering Help needed

I'm finishing up a 1/4 scale Tiger Moth covered in Stits silk etc.... to simulate the seam and lasing in the fabric I used a "T" pin dipped in white Elmer's glue and dabbed it every 1/4 " . Once this was dry i brushed on some poly brush over the dry glue and added the 1/4 inch pinked tape. When this dries and is painted it replicates the stitching pretty darn good!

Hope this helps

Steve
Old 10-14-2003, 02:33 PM
BobH
My Feedback: (2)

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

pipescs, I have seen the stitching simulated by taking thread and weaving it through nails properly spaced and then doped. When the dope has dried the Thread has the zig zag effect you are looking for. This is then glued to the sides in the proper location.. Thats one way.. the other way is to buy the eyelets from Mick Reeves and put them in the fabric where they are supposed to be and lace the two pieces of fabric together like the full scale. You can put the holes in the fabric for the eyelets using a small tip in a soldering iron. The tip will burn the proper size hole through the material. Once the holes are there you can insert the eyelets and peen them from the rear to keep them in place. Hope this helps.. BobH.
Old 10-14-2003, 02:38 PM
pipescs

Try this again

This might work. Trouble is The lacing is not covered up
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh17075.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	67683  
Old 10-14-2003, 03:59 PM
2 Piece-RCA

pipescs, you didn't state what type of paint you'll be using, not that it really matters. I am not throughly familiar with the Camel, and I have to ask/ verify that the small !QUOT!black!QUOT! vertical lines are stitches or are they !QUOT!slits!QUOT! in the fabric? The reason I ask is, if they are stitches they should be the same as the surrounding color because they would have stitched it up before painting it.
Anyway, I'll assume that they are stitches and this is how I would simulate this seam.
Get some very large diameter thread or small chording (you'll have to determine what size looks right). Cut two pieces of thread/ chording to length desired. Lay both threads side by side on a pieces of wax paper and glue them together. Then glue this to the covered fuselage side. Carefully build up the outside edges of the thread with what ever type of primer that will work with the paint your using. Once you get the outside edges filled to your liking paint the fuse- markings and all. Now go to a farm supply store and get some syringes and very small needles- say 22 to 24 gage. Get some black water based paint and some RC 56 glue. Mix up a little paint and glue together and put it the syringe and carefully lay down the small black lines.
Hope this helps.
2 Piece