Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Ziroli or Yellow Aircraft P-47?

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Ziroli or Yellow Aircraft P-47?

Old 10-19-2003, 11:03 PM
wja

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ziroli or Yellow Aircraft P-47?

I’m planning one of my next projects and I think I would like to build a P-47. I have narrowed the choices to either the Ziroli 1/5th kit or the Yellow Aircraft 1/6th version. Having searched previous posts in regards to these kits, it appears that both kits seem to be pretty well received. As such I was wandering whether anyone could comment on scale accuracy of both kits and also comment on any plusses and minuses associated with each kit. Additionally, both kits can be purchased as total packages with retracts, cockpit kits, bombs and even engines, as is the case with the Ziroli Jug, and I’m wandering whether there are better alternatives for these kits in terms of retracts, and all other scale accessories. For instance, few posts suggested that the Aerotech cockpit accessories are more detailed than the ones from Yellow Aircraft, and also there were few posts suggesting that the retracts on the older Yellow Aircraft Jug were rather week. Anyway, any and all comments will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
Val
Old 10-20-2003, 08:24 AM
BobH
My Feedback: (2)

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Default RE: Ziroli or Yellow Aircraft P-47?

Val, I think its more a question of preference between these two kits rather than which one is better in terms of scale appearence. Both build into excellent planes. The Yellow is a little smaller and builds faster because its mostly fiberglass components. I have the Yellow Jug and updated gear with newer components. It's much stouter than the old gear. I used Dynamic Balsa interior but made my own dash from styrene. You could get an interior from Aerotech. The new canopies from Yellow are 2 piece; a clear canopy and a separate fiberglass frame. Buth planes will fly very well and will look as good as you want to make them. Here is a picture of my interior.. just to give you an idea of what you can do .. BobH.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Gd93820.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	68799   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni22666.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	68800   Click image for larger version

Name:	Di99921.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	68801  
Old 10-20-2003, 09:24 AM
wja

Thanks for that info Bob. If that cockpit is any indication of the way the rest of your Jug will look like, I think you’ll have a winner on you hands. Anyway, it definitely sounds like one can’t go wrong with either the Ziroli or Yellow Aircraft kits. Given that my first large scale warbird, which I’m currently building, is the 1/5th scale Holman FW190D, one of deciding factors will have to be whether I want to stay with the 1/5th scale theme or alternatively stay with an 80” wingspan size plane theme. I think the other factor might include my initial experience with foam wing construction that comes with the Holman 190D. Speaking of which, has anyone ever mated the DAVE Platt FW190 built-up wing with the Holman FW190D fuselage?
Old 10-20-2003, 02:38 PM
BobH

wja, thank you for the kind words. Hopefully I can get back on the Jug some time after the first of the year. I am currently working on my SE5a for Scale Masters next year.. once that's finished.. its back on the Jug..BobH.
Old 10-21-2003, 06:58 PM
FalconWings10
My Feedback: (4)

Bob, start a thread on your SE5a. I'd be VERY interested in hearing about it. Are you building from plans or kit"
Old 10-21-2003, 09:16 PM
BobH

Falcon wings, I am building from the out of production Duncan Hutson kit. I have the wings built and I am now beginning the fuse. Lots of 1/4 sq balsa and hard wood to cut! As you may know the fuse is a box with diagonal braces. The full scale is similar but it has wires to brace the wood structure as well as metal cleats. I shall post a few pics when I get a little more done on the fuse ok..A consideration from the start has been the color of PC10 paint. I have several "expert" sources and each one differes slightly lol! That's to be expected I think given the QC of the paint makers in the 1917's. The best one can do is to get his pick of the color from the "reliable" source signed off by a contest board member.. then you are good to go!.. BobH.
Old 10-21-2003, 10:33 PM
wja

Bob, I’ll second the request to see some pictures of your SE5a project. Also please document your progress on the Jug when you get to working on it again. I’ll probably be tackling a P-47 project in the near future so seeing your work will serve as great reference and inspiration.
Val