Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Flew the P-47 Yesterday (Pictures Included)

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Flew the P-47 Yesterday (Pictures Included)

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2002, 02:44 PM
k_sonn
My Feedback: (32)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flew the P-47 Yesterday (Pictures Included)

The weather was good and the P-47 was begging to be test flown. This airplane is an awesome flier. The final wieght was 12 pounds. I had to add 1 1/2 pounds of nose wieght to arrive at the proper CG. It has an OS 120 pumper with a 15x8 graupner prop. I used a MACS flex pipe for exhuast and the sound was very realistic. The best part was the way it looked in the air. The Flite Metal covering has the most realistic look of any aluminum covering. It should because it is very thin aluminum. Everyone that saw it fly said it was the most realistic plane they had ever seen at the field. the first landing was performed without flaps and this plane is a floater. Had to go around and come in with a longer approach. I took a couple of pictures before takeoff and then my camera battery died so I do not have any in flight pictures. The weahter looks like it will be rainy for the next couple of days but as soon as it clears up, I will take some pictures and post them.
Old 05-02-2002, 02:50 PM
k_sonn

It seems my picture size is too large and the system will not let me upload them. This is wierd because they are the same size as they others in my gallery. I will resize them tonight when I get home from work and post them.
Old 05-02-2002, 04:58 PM
Rckfish
My Feedback: (5)

Kirk,
Congradulations on your successful flight. I'm anxious to get mine flying. How was the takeoff run and rotation speed?
Rckfish
Old 05-02-2002, 07:09 PM
k_sonn

Rckfish:

Thanks. For the first takeoff I did not use flaps. I slowly advanced the throttle and gave her a little rudder to keep her tracking straight. The tail came up in about 20 or so feet and I released the rudder and she kept on tracking straight. At about 3/4 she was ready to take to the sky. I gave her slight elevator and she started to gently climb out. Made a wide left climbing turn leveled her off and added to clicks of right trim. That was it, she flew like she was on rails. I used the recommend throws and used high rates on the elevator for take off. After she was trimmed I switched to low rates on the elevator, she is a little pitch sensitive on high rates. I used the following expo settings:
Elevator:
High rates: 35%
low Rates: 25%

Ailerons:
High Rates: 30%
Low Rates: 20%

I tried turns using the rudder and the nose will drop a little but if you use a little elevator and cross control with the ailerons it will perform a flat turn. with the retracts extended she tends to drop the nose a little in a turn but when they are retracted this did not occur. Landing was uneventful. She does tend to float a bit but I did bring her in a little fast (wasn't using flaps on first landing). I need to get a few more flights in before I feel comfortable enough to slow her down on landings. On the second flight some flaps were used on take off and landing. Used about 5 degrees of flaps on take off and about 15 degrees on landing. Next time I fly her I will use a bit more flaps on landing. I used a gentle descending approach, almost flat, and when she touched down she did have any tendency to bounce. I did not experience the typical war bird nose over. In fact, I think it would be hard to nose her over. I had a Kyosho corsair that loved to nose over on take off and landing. All in all, this is a great flying airplane and you should have know trouble with yours.

Here is a picture of her before takeoff.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	10009_4196.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	6895  
Old 05-02-2002, 07:10 PM
k_sonn

Here is another. Unfortnately these pictures do not show the detail and weathering.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	10010_4196.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	6896  
Old 05-02-2002, 08:30 PM
Rckfish

Kirk,
Thanks for the great, detailed report. Your Flitemetal finish is awesome. What retracts did you use? Mine are CJ.
Rockfish
Old 05-02-2002, 11:46 PM
k_sonn

Rcjfish:

I have CJ retracts also with robart accessories. I like the larger air tank and the adjustable air valve.
Old 05-03-2002, 10:59 AM
Rckfish

Kirk,
That is what I'm using CJ & Robart. I weighed in last nite at a hair under 10 lbs. without the battery, so I should come in at 10.
Rockfish
Old 05-03-2002, 12:21 PM
Rckfish

One other thing. I'm using the stock cowl mounted per the plans.
Did you have any engine cooling issues or make any modifications in this area?
Rckfish
Old 05-03-2002, 02:40 PM
k_sonn

Rckfish:

I am also using the stock cowl mounted as per the plans. I cut a 2 inch wide by 2 1/2 inch long hole in the bottom of the cowl to vent the heat. There is also the gap between the cowl and the fuse to help vent the heat. I used a MACS flex pipe in place of the OS muffler and ran it to let the exhaust escape out of this hole. I did not experience any overheating. Did you have to add any nose weight to cg yours? I had to add a 1 1/2 lbs. I took some shotgun shell reload bb's and mixed them with epoxy and applied this mixture to the lower fire wall between the engine mount box and the cowl mount lip. I have a friend who put the weight on his cowl and eventually the cowl started to crack. When do you think you will fly yours? Let me know how it turns out. If the weather permits, I will fly mine again on Sunday.

Talk to you later.
Old 05-03-2002, 02:45 PM
Rckfish

Kirk,
Im right on the cg and should not add much weight. Currently I have not cut any additional access in the cowl other than what the cowl/fuselage clearance is. I drilled two holes through the firewall and inserted 5/8" brass tubing that exits out the lower fuselage in the scale exhaust position. Through these I'm running my muffler exhaust(flexed like yours) and my crankcase vent in the other. It is very cool. I can not determine if I need to cut the bottom of the cowl or not. I prefer not to.

It looks like I test fly on Sunday weather permitting. I'll keep you posted.
Rckfish
Old 05-03-2002, 02:58 PM
k_sonn

Rckfish:

The general rule is that the cooling vent area should be twice the intake. The cowl opening should be baffled with an opening for the cylinder head. So, the exhaust vent should be twice the opening in the baffle for the cylinder head. At this time, I have not put a dummy engine on mine but I cut the opening as if I had. Plan to add one later. The best thing to do is test it. Circle around a couple of times and then land it and check to see if the engine seems too hot. I really hated to have to cut mine so I know how you feel.
Old 05-03-2002, 03:05 PM
Rckfish

Kirk,
I have the baffel & dummy cowl in, so I'll let you know how it goes.
rckfish
Old 05-03-2002, 07:48 PM
Tapio

The exhaust exits out the bottom centre of mine and the nice thing is no goop on the bottom of the fuse, even while running on the rich side. Going to try it again tonite if the wind drops below 15, stays lite till 8:45 up here.
Old 05-03-2002, 08:28 PM
Flying Scotsman

Default What a beauty!

That is one beautiful plane, k_sonn. I wish i had the skill, the space and the balls to even attempt to build one of these.

Steven
Old 05-05-2002, 01:57 AM
Rckfish

Default Ready to fly

Kirk,
My Jug is ready to go. Final weight, 10.25 lbs. and CG is on the money wtih no additional weight. That big battery upfront in the bottom of the fuse probably did it.

I'll let you know. Weather here in Little Rock tomarrow is supposed to be good. Winds light and variable.
Rckfish
Old 05-05-2002, 06:37 PM
Rckfish

Default 1st flight

Kirk,
I made the first flight today. Actually, I made 5. But as you know the first is the memorable one. I went out early today while there was still dew on the field.

Ground handling-great. Tracking on take off roll was good, very little rudder required. lift off good. Needed down trim and 2 clicks of right ailerion. All was well. When time to land came I could only get one gear to come down!

I circled around and cycled the gear a couple of times....no joy.
Well, a belly landing isnt what I would have chosen for the first flight but no choice. She lined up and I dropped the power and slowed the plane down. A few feet of the deck I cut the power and she slid along the wet grass for 30 feet and stopped in a deep grass berm. No damage and a friend caught it all on video.

The gear that wouldnt come down had a bushing that had slipped elongating the oleo strut. Fixed it and went again.
What a great plane.
Rckfish
Old 05-05-2002, 11:02 PM
tinman
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default WTG

wtg rc, what was the final weight for it? i'll bet ya had a ball. well i guess i am gonna have to take my 13 pounder up now......will do this week. wish us luck guys... -Tinman-
Old 05-06-2002, 02:19 PM
k_sonn

Rckfish:

That's great. That first flight is always scarey for me. Glad to hear everything went ok even if the gear did not fully coperate. I did not get to fly mine this weekend. The weather here in the Pacific Northwest wasn't very good. When it wasn't raining, the wind was blowing too hard for my liking. This is definiately one of the best flying airplanes I have ever owned. I have a Yellow Aircraft P-47 that I started on last night. I hope it flies as good. Any way, glad everything worked out ok for you and keep me informed on how things are going. Talk to you later.
Old 05-06-2002, 02:22 PM
k_sonn

Tinman:

Mine is 12 pounds and it flew like it was an 8 pounder. Yours should fly well at 13 pounds. Let us know how it goes and good luck. Talk to you later.
Old 05-06-2002, 03:23 PM
Rckfish

Kirk,
Let me know your thoughts on the Yellow p47. I want one but felt I'd better start with the TF.
Rckfish
Old 05-06-2002, 03:58 PM
k_sonn

Rckfish:

I had the same thoughts. I wanted to put the top flite one together and fly it around before attempting the yellow. I will be taking construction photos as I go along and will share those with you. Last night I took photos of the kit parts and filed the seam on the fuse. The kit looks pretty good. I will be putting a zenoah g62 in it along with spring air retracts. Talk to you later.
Old 05-06-2002, 05:50 PM
tinman

Default yellow p-47

hi k_sonn, i too am blding a yellow p-47. its about 70 percent done now. going to use a g62. pay attention with yur retract airlines as the instructions did not say where/when to run them in the wing. i sheeted the wheelwells b4 i realized i had no lines in and they would go straight thru the wheel well. . need less to say my wheelwells now have a perfect fillet in the corner. made out of airline . i also put a onboard starter system in. it is a very nice plane...jus takin my time on it now. -Tinman-
Old 05-07-2002, 06:38 PM
k_sonn

Tinman:
i too am blding a yellow p-47. its about 70 percent done now. going to use a g62. pay attention with yur retract airlines as the instructions did not say where/when to run them in the wing. i sheeted the wheelwells b4 i realized i had no lines in and they would go straight thru the wheel well
I looked at my wing last night and did not see any tunnels routed out for the servo leads. How did you run your leads?
Old 05-07-2002, 10:50 PM
tinman

Default leads

i had to use a long drill and extension and drill thru the foam. that was also not in instructions. thx for reminding me... . i put a tube in along with the retract hose line and sent wire thru that tube. they all pass thru the wheel well and i epxied them around the corner in bottom (top) of well to make them look like a fillet. turned out pretty good. -Tinman-

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.