Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Shortening Robart #653R

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Shortening Robart #653R

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2003, 10:54 AM
ZeppelinIII

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shortening Robart #653R

Working on an old Royal P-38 kit and want more scale looking gear, so picked up a Robart #653R (right offset) for the nose gear. Here's my problem. As per the instructions you have to leave 2 5/8" on the main shaft, although it looks to me like you can cut a little more off of it. My problem is that I need to cut it even further below that to work with my retracts. I've looked for alternative structs and haven't found anything that will work, so the only option I can come up with is to disassemble the whole thing, cut the oleo ram assembly down, cut the spring shorter, somehow remove the stop in the main shaft, and then add in a new stop after cutting off the main shaft.

Hopefully there are some better options that I'm just not aware of out there. Any and all help with this will be greatly appreciated

- Zep
Old 11-28-2003, 08:08 PM
av8r4aa
My Feedback: (82)

Default RE: Shortening Robart #653R

I think this might work.
looking down the strut you should see the "bottom" that is what holds the spring in place.
I feel that you can cut as much strut off as long as there is no inteference between the "swivel" and the "oleo" (strut)
I would reccomend to measure twice and cut once.
Greg
Old 11-29-2003, 11:16 AM
ZeppelinIII

Default RE: Shortening Robart #653R

Did some more thinking about it and I don't need to worry about getting a new stop in there because I can just use the fitting for attaching to the retract shaft as the new stop, so going forward with that, should work well I'm thinking (hoping)

- Zep