Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

AZM 1/5 Dr.1 arf

Old 06-24-2004, 01:23 PM
daw
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AZM 1/5 Dr.1 arf

I've ordered this plane and am looking for information and advise from people who own or have flown one. The information supplied uses an OS.52 4-stroke spinning (turning) a 18-8 prop. I tried this combo on a LT25 and it flies it well, just slow. (had to hand launch it) I'm looking for any build tips and weight or CG concerns. Should the gear be cheated forward to help with the nose overs? Does it tend to be nose or tail heavy? Any throw concerns on the control surfaces? I fly off a grass field.
Old 06-24-2004, 09:55 PM
Lucky Dog
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: AZM 1/5 Dr.1 arf

Daw,
Don't mess with the gear. You must become one with the Tripe Yes, they do have that tendancy, but so did the real thing, and it rarely hurts anything, even the prop (probably not so with the real thing). I did (as we discussed) fly mine with a Saito 56 and a 12x6. I'm anxious to see how big a prop I can get away with on the Saito, but I've heard that they are not as succesfully over-proped as the OS 4 Strokes are. Once you get the hang of it, it's not that bad. The Tripe landings on Realflight are more accurate than take-offs btw. Just carry a little power all the way down.

I will (as promised) get some pics to you of the firewall mod I intend to do so a standard mount can be used.

Hope there are more out there with these beasts, I'm interested in seeing what experiences other folks are having with them.

Here's a couple pics of mine. You can see in the second one the error I made in shaping the covering tight around the cheek fairings. Mine came with it partially down that way, and (had I studied my documentation more closely), could have probably pulled it away, but I ironed it down. It not as obviouis in these, but there is athe same problem along the top deck.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw67386.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	115.0 KB
ID:	147072   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av68125.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	105.7 KB
ID:	147073  
Old 06-24-2004, 10:00 PM
Lucky Dog

Daw,
Here's a pic I dug up that I took after dinging it trying to take-off too soon. Low altitude torgue rolls are not good. Damage could have been a lot worse though. This is where the cabane fixes to the top wing. It was easy enough to repair, but it didn't take me long to bust one loose again. But you're not supposed to beat them up like I did either. This is not a good begining warbird I've found out.

Name:	Db84327.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	147074  
Old 06-26-2004, 06:59 PM
Lucky Dog

Dave,
Here's a pic of behing the firewall on mine.

The box was originally built just to enclose the back of the engine. I'm planning on glueing another piece of 3/8 lite ply to it. If I can then figure out a way to secure it to the sides of the fuse (as you can see, the way the interior of the fuse is designed, there's not much surface to glue traingle stock too like you normally would), then it should be easy enough to bolt a mount to it.

At least, that's the plan.

I see you're in Indiana. There's (what should be) a pretty good size WW1 fly-in schedule for Sept. 25th by the Hamiliton Co. club,
and our clubs warbird fly-in (all types) is coming up July 24th. Have a look at the [link=http://www.bealmear.com/dawn_patrol/2004_events.htm]RC Dawn Patrol, 2004 Events [/link] for more info.

Name:	Us53714.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	217.1 KB
ID:	147665