Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Need some help with old Royal Bearcat kit

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Need some help with old Royal Bearcat kit

Old 07-19-2004, 10:43 PM
wja

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some help with old Royal Bearcat kit

I finally decided to finish my old Royal Bearcat kit that’s been sitting on the backburner for ages. I plan on using a set of old Rom-Air retracts in this kit, which come with 3/16-inch wire struts. I would like to dress up the wire struts with appropriate Robart strut covers but I’m not sure which strut covers would be best suited for this Bearcat kit? Likewise, since I couldn’t find any information in regards to tires used on the Bearcat I was wondering whether someone could tell me which size tires (main and tail wheel) would be most appropriate for this kit (Scale being: 1:6.85)? Additionally, I was contemplating powering this kit with a 4-cycle twin so that I could route the exhaust out of the scale exhaust locations and I’m curious as to which twin engine, if any, would fit without having to rip apart the cowl?
As always, all help will be greatly appreciated.
Waldemar
Old 07-20-2004, 09:46 AM
saramos

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Need some help with old Royal Bearcat kit

For the engine, one possibility is the RCV 120SP. The design will fit fully inside the cowl, and this engine would allow you to turn a 16 inch four blade prop.

Scott
Old 07-20-2004, 10:38 AM
wja

Thanks Scott,
I went back and did some more research and it looks like number of other people have previously recommended this engine for this kit, so I will definitely look into it especially since it appears that it would be more cost effective compared to a twin of similar power output.
In a related question, I’m considering getting a replacement Precision Fiberglass cowl for this kit and I was wondering whether anyone could comment on the quality and accuracy of their cowl? Also, since I don’t have much reference material on the Bearcat, I was wondering if someone could recommend a good reference book. I tried getting the Squadron Bearcat in Action book but it looks like currently it’s out of stock everywhere.
Thanks
Old 07-20-2004, 12:03 PM
Richard L.
My Feedback: (24)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Scale main wheel size is around 3 1/2" in diameter and scale tailwheel size is around 1 1/4" in diameter. I would too go with the RCV 120-SP. As for reference books, you might want to check out the major online auction site because I've gotten several good books on Bearcat from there.
Old 07-20-2004, 10:09 PM
saramos

I can't comment on the fiberglass cowl, or the reference material. The Bearcat is not a plane I've studies much. I do have a photo or two of one that was at my local airport. I'll dig them up and post them.
Most of the Royal kits of radial type aircraft came with spun aluminum cowls. Did the Bearcat? I have (still in box) the Corsair and the Zero. They both have aluminum cowls.

I got one of the RCV 90SP engines for a TopFlight Spit that I am building. I did the break in on a test stand. It takes a long time to
break these engines in. They require between 1 and 2 gallons of fuel to break in, and they are very fuel efficient. Be prepared to draw attention with the engine. Every time I took the engine down to the field to break in, it would draw people over. One day, I had a crowd of about 15 people around the engine while running it.

Are you going to do a build thread when you start your kit? If so, I look forward to following your adventure!

Scott
Old 07-20-2004, 10:38 PM
wja

I bought this kit half-finished ages ago and unfortunately the guy I bought it from butchered the aluminum cowl to make room for some oversized engine that he was planning on using. Given that I am going to use this kit as practice for some new techniques that I want incorporate on my next few projects, more specifically Taylor and Platt Spitfires and Holman FW190, I probably won’t start a “build thread” specific to this kit, although I might post some pictures here as I progress.
By the way Scott, did you buy your RCV engine directly from rcvengines or did you find a local distributor that sells these engines at better prices?
Waldemar
Old 07-20-2004, 11:00 PM
hattend
My Feedback: (20)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On my Bearcat, I glassed the wood/metal cowl and painted it. Came out very nice. Just in case I somehow damage that cowl I bought the glass cowl from Fiberglass Specialties (#RL-5) and it matches up very close to the fuselage. It's good enough to use with maybe just a little shaping on the bottom to fit perfect and the glass work is excellent.

I have an ST .90 and Century Jet Retracts on mine. It's monokoted with matching paint on the cowl. It is modeled after Howard Pardue's Reno Racer. I haven't flown it yet as I got busy with lots of other projects and left it still needing some graphics and attaching the canopy.

Don
Old 07-21-2004, 01:23 AM
saramos

Waldemar,

I purchased my RCV from the RCV website. Their online sales actually passes the sale on to a hobby shop in the US that has the engine in stock. Mine came from Marks Hobby House and arrived in about 3 days. I paid full price, but didn't mind. Gettiing it sooner was more important to me.

Scott