Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Robinaire 60 Size Rotating Retracts

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Robinaire 60 Size Rotating Retracts

Old 09-17-2004, 08:55 PM
kram51
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Robinaire 60 Size Rotating Retracts

Actually Lee, we have a wing from a guy's Corsair in the shop in NY. I'll be back up there next week and can send it to you. He had put the Robarts in his plane so you can see how closely yours fit that foot print. Let me know if you'd like me to send it. Send me an email.

Mark
Old 09-20-2004, 10:57 AM
Robinaire
My Feedback: (23)

Hi Kevin; I replied to someones announcement of the Sierra gear, I think juvatwad, saying Darryl had "beat" me! But I think it went into the Sierra reply thd, which is also OK. But I wanted to get it in here! Darryl "beat" me? I have been at it less than 2 months. How long has he been at it? I am continueing my development. Has he published a price yet? I expect some numbers from the CNC shop today, so can take a shot at a price. Lee Robinson
Old 09-20-2004, 11:39 AM
kram51

Hi Lee-
I wouldn't worry about any comments like the "Darryl beat you" nonsense. Darryl has had over a year head start and it took 6 months to just get a glimpse of the prototype. His work is first class, as many will attest. His inability to communicate delays, or anything else for that matter, in a timely manner is quite another thing. I will stick with someone who is a bit more open about the whole process. With Darryl the one thing he was quite clear about was that our money was secondary to him so when larger orders worth more $$$$ came in, we took a back seat. I guess maybe the big ones have dried up if he's actually going to produce these things.

Mark
Old 09-20-2004, 12:45 PM
Griffin_NC

I don't think I would worry about comments about you being beat. There is plenty of room in the market place for well built products. People need to take into account your building out of your workshop too and not a full CNC machine shop full time.
Old 09-20-2004, 03:28 PM
juvatwad
My Feedback: (8)

Well since you mention me by name, you should take a second to think about context, as should the posters (kram and griffin) right after yours, Lee. I did say Darrel's gear looks as if they beat yours , but not with respect to time, but rather with respect to quality and appearance. I'll stand by that any day.
Old 09-20-2004, 04:46 PM
Maiden Voyage

I was just about to say (before reading Juvatwad's reply), that in all fairness you can't really compare the pictures of Darrel's gear and Lee's gear. Since the pictures of Darrel's gear is of an almost finished product and Lee's are of a prototype. As for which finished product I will buy, since they are both custom made I am sure they both will be of excellent quality, so my money goes to the man with INTEGRITY!!!

Anyone want to guess who that is?
Old 09-28-2004, 10:37 AM
Robinaire

Good Morning all; I think one answer I posted ended up in the other thread. So this should get to the right one!! We got home Sunday evening to find house & shop all here. I guess all the "weak sister" stuff got taken in Frances! More shrub damage, but all things considered, we made out far better than some of our neighbors. Finally got power back around 5 last night, and finally got a HOT bath!! Today we have been cleaning up and repairing shrubs & other plantings, and still waiting for the claims adjuster from Frances! Jeanne was a much stronger,storm, but moved through twice as fast, and got out of our hair quickly! About 10 hrs versus almost 24 for Frances. Later today, or probably tomorrow, I'll start unpacking shop stuff & get ready to start USEFUL work again! The last 6 months have been horrific for Kay & I, with multiple visits to hospital (fortunately non-life-threatening) car accident, machine tool problems, and two hurricanes! Saw the comment about Darrys unit; sounds good. I too use a modified cam system. Darryl did it right! Have never seen any of his stuff, but comments, in general, seem positive. Just his timing & updates seemed awful! I'll continue working on mine, and hopefully in a few weeks I can come up with a price. I notice that Robart sells theirs without "plumbing". I'll probably do the same, as many of you are just retrofitting the mechanics in planes with complete, usable plumbing. Any comments on your preferences? Does Darryl do this? My thanks to you all for your great patience and encouragement. I don'y have all the CNC goodies, and have to depend on outside sources for quantity stuff. (Anybody got a spare 1/4 mil they don't need???!!!) But I do the best I can, and have fun doing it! Sincerely; Lee Robinson
Old 10-04-2004, 07:11 PM
Robinaire

Hi Guys; I just posted 2 comments but in the Sierra post! Then I couldn't figure out if there was a way to copy them over here! Maybe you saw them there. One was about the gear lengths on the P-40 & Corsair. Someone said P-40 gear was longer than Corsair because gull-wing brought it lower! Totally fooled eyballs! Upper pivot to axle on P-40--37.75" (that's INCHES!) Corsair is 6' 3.5" Corsair is a much larger bird than the P-40! Also, someone commented on Darryls' new gear, and described the mechanism, not visible in pics, as a dead ringer for a larger version I did about 4 years ago! Somewhere I have dwgs and I think some pics! I really meant it in one post where I said that in using a cam, Darry had done it right! Two of us can't be wrong!! Right??? We are finally pretty well cleaned up, and have most of shrubs redone. Claims man finally showed up about 3:30 today!! Maybe we'll get our front porch and the front 1/3 of our carport back before the next millenium! I'm now getting back to speed in shop, and hope to be caught up on old backlog and ready to start on NEW backlog!! Sheesh!! Lee
Old 10-04-2004, 07:24 PM
Richard L.
My Feedback: (24)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm almost certain the gear for the Top Flite .60 size P-40 will need to be longer than the gear for the Top Flite .60 size Corsair. I tried the Hangar 9 Corsair gear in my smaller VQ P-40, and they turned out to be too short.
Old 10-04-2004, 08:40 PM
Richard L.

ORIGINAL: Robinaire

Someone said P-40 gear was longer than Corsair because gull-wing brought it lower! Totally fooled eyballs! Corsair is a much larger bird than the P-40!
Keep in mind the TF Corsair and TF P-40 are in different scale, with the Corsair being roughly 1/8th scale and the P-40 being around 1/7th scale. The struts might end up being the same length on both models.
Old 10-05-2004, 07:50 AM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lee,
How about making a strut pocket with about a 4-40 clamp screw for a 3/8" strut. Then the user could make the strut any length he wants.
Edwin
Old 10-05-2004, 08:41 AM
Robinaire

Good morning Richard & all; My reference was to the full scale planes. The scale of the models will definitely affect the strut lengths on the models. In addition, on the Corsair, the full scale gear compressed the oleo on retraction to shorten the leg length so the wheel would fit in front of the rear spar! The strut compressed 4". This is not allowed for in the models, and therefore the strut is shorter than it should be. I was referring to the appearance of photos of the planes, which definitely can fool the eye. Incidentally, the P-47 also used the strut compression, but pulled up a whopping 9"!! Lee Robinson
Old 10-05-2004, 08:50 AM
Robinaire

Hi Edwin; It would require a redesign on my system, as my strut and cam mechanism are an integral assembly. I personally do not like unreliable set screws, but the best way is with 2 screws, spaced about 1/4 to 3/8" apart and 90 deg. around the strut. I don't have the time right now to do another design, but I'll keep it in mind. I build my struts to suit the particular kit, with the length custom cut to your particular plan. Lee
Old 10-23-2004, 06:02 PM
Robinaire

Hello guys; Just a short update, and a pic of another project! A few days ago I spent about an hour with the cnc shop on the rotator and other parts, and I expect to hear something in about a week. There are still some changes and updates to design to do, but this should be close enough to give me an idea on cost. Now let's see if my ancient noggin can remember how to get this pic into my gallery!! Lee
Old 10-23-2004, 06:11 PM
voyager_663rd

At the bottom of the box where you add your message is a line:

CLICK HERE TO UPLOAD

Direct it to the location of your pic.
Old 10-23-2004, 06:33 PM
Harpoon

If I'm not mistaking a compressing Corsair retract has been made by Earl Aune

Cheers
Harpoon
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Da83225.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	185905  
Old 10-23-2004, 07:19 PM
dionysusbacchus
My Feedback: (25)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lee those gear look perfect, you can forget about the rest of these guys just don't forget to make me a set neighbor! I really need them for my F2G Corsair. I'm holding off on the building to see if the gear materialize. Remember, and I'm serious, if you don't make these a production item just make me a set. The Sierra gear have to much of a forward rake, the angle looks like a P-38 nose gear.

Thanks Lee

Harpoon, you are correct and Earl does not make those anymore... well he is making one more set for me that is! He said he had enough parts for one more set, just need to keep on him so he will finish them!

Dion
Old 10-24-2004, 11:44 AM
Robinaire

Thanks Voyager! I noted the comment about Earls' Corsair gear. I guess I'll have to dig out my old drawings and consider making the pull-up struts! Is there enough interest out there? Sounds like Earl didn't think so. Earl, if you read these threads, what do you think? And Dion, you are on the growing list. I'm going to have to find some way to accelerate things! (Anyone got a spare magic wand??) Good things take time, and I want it to be right, but not take a year! Lee Robinson
Old 10-24-2004, 11:18 PM
Richard L.

We need to get these gear done. Winter is approaching the North, and I would hate to try these gear out in a foot of snow.
Old 10-25-2004, 07:52 AM
Robinaire

Hi Richard; WHAAAT? No spirit of adventure???? Lee
Old 10-25-2004, 07:55 AM
Robinaire

Delete double send!!!
Old 10-26-2004, 01:13 PM
jthomson

Have to agree with Dion. The Sierra gear looks a bit funny at 110 degrees. I also tried setting the main wheels forward in a simulator Corsair and the landings got a bit ugly. It was hard to keep it from porpoising. It may save a few nose-overs but I don't think this is such a great idea. I've ordered a set of the Sierras anyway. Maybe they can be mounted at an but Lee, I definately also want to buy a more scale set so please don't quit. I too am holding off on a build to see what is going to happen with the gear.
Old 10-26-2004, 01:29 PM
Richard L.

Yep, 110° is too much. Even 100° is also a bit much. A good compromise would be 95°.
Old 10-26-2004, 01:49 PM
Robinaire

Thanks for the encouragement, Jon T. I'm working on refining a few things in the design while Jay is conjuring up some prices on the major parts. Some changes will be made, but this first shot should be close enough to ballpark it . Lee
Old 10-26-2004, 01:52 PM
Robinaire

Whoops! Forgot, Jon; mine are 95 deg. It may be visible in the gear pics. Lee

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.