Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

KMP Hurricane in detail

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

KMP Hurricane in detail

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 07:28 PM
Supernaut

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: KMP Hurricane in detail

Alan, maybe you'd be the right person to ask regarding one of my original questions. Early on in this thread I noticed that some of the guys in the UK are flying the older model with the RCV91CD. With this in mind, do you think the RCV130CD would be enough to fly the 82" version?
Old 09-28-2009, 03:45 AM
kinverflyer

The RCV 130 will fly the 82" Hurricane but it depends on how you want it to fly. Mine powered by a Saito FG36 is excellent and needed no nose weight to balance, with the 130CD you will need to add nose weight.
Old 09-28-2009, 04:49 AM
nicov1978

Hi,

I agree with Kinverflyer, I think the 130 is likely to be a little unsufficient. Sure it will fly but with no excess power... Even if it is not a plane for acrobatics, and that too much power will make the flight unrealistics, too little power will be annoying as well and can be dangerous...
I'm always surprised how much power you need to do a simple looping!!

So it is important to find 'le juste milieu' (the right midpoint, don't know how to translate in english...) in power, but for me the 130 will be under the midpoint...

Cheers,

Nicolas
Old 11-05-2009, 10:32 PM
radpilot
My Feedback: (5)

Hey good news i maidens my hurri this week end. 3 years in the making original KMP 71 in wing have a magnimum 120 fs and she is heavy 24 lbs she rotated in about 75 feet trimed rather easly flew for 10- 14 minn once i lost my gitters i droped flaps >>>> ooops to much down mixing of the elevators . climed back up pulled the flaps . couple more slow passes landed .. little fast for my liking but she flies like my favorite EZ p51 .. gona try again with less mix on the elevator/flap.
gona by another from KMP as soon as they get the new line out
Cheers. Will post a video next
Old 11-06-2009, 03:25 AM
kinverflyer

How come 24lb, the 71" usually tops out at 14lb?
Old 11-06-2009, 10:13 AM
radpilot

Gona check my scale, I am having a hard time beliving also. used a digital bath scale, regardless she flies nice holds a predictable desent with a click of power. relived as all heck... was very nervious, my last maiden on a arf didnt go so well
Old 11-06-2009, 10:56 AM
CAPT John
My Feedback: (15)

ORIGINAL: radpilot
ooops to much down mixing of the elevators .

On my Hurricane, I needed up elevator mixing with flaps, vice the usual down elevator. I think if you scan the posts on this thread at least one other person posted the same. IIt might be a good idea to zero the flap - elevator mix for your next flight to determine what your plane requires.
Old 11-06-2009, 11:11 AM
G-BBYB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well done on the maiden, the Hurricane is such a nice flyer. My Hurribus didn't need any flap mix when set to either 45 or 90 degrees. What angle of flap have you got? You might want to double check the C of G?

Cheers
Danny

Old 11-06-2009, 11:31 AM
radpilot

yea I agree I am going to zero out the elev/flap mix try it again .. i checked my CG so many times I lost count , set a little forward 100mm i like to start forward and work back from there .30 deg on the flap , yet to see how that works on final though
Old 11-06-2009, 05:31 PM
paladin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have 60 degrees of flap. i use no E mixing, never use E mixing. reduce T to half, let speed drop, deploy flaps. the plan should require just as much E as if it were kleen at half T. if it noses up keep adding Flap till the E pull is where you want it.

Carry enough T right to the runway! fly a trafic pattern with the flap T setting you like, if it can fly a traffic pattern its a good T setting.

I do a reverse chandelle to the runway level the wings carry T to as loww as i dare then hold it level for a wheel landing. the hurri bleeds speed very fast you can cary T really low.

Joe
Old 11-06-2009, 05:45 PM
ticketec
My Feedback: (2)

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah on my mate's 82" version, we also used no E to flp mixing either.

Just make sure you have bleed off some speed before deployment. We did use servo slow so that they don't "pop" out all of a sudden which can also cause pitch changes.

Thanks

dave
Old 11-07-2009, 12:23 AM
paladin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Dave, excellent point!

i put my flaps to the left side lever and deploy slowly just to keep the stress down. most flaps will stall the servo if deployed to fast, i'm sure i gave the servo stress analysis for this plane earlier in the thread.

Joe
Old 01-10-2010, 08:26 AM
crackajack

Well, finally I flew the bird.
Took her to the club. Started the YS 120 AC and man did she pull!! Less than half throttle and up she went. A little down trim and the Hurri took off into the sunset.
Very nice to fly. Th YS is an Awesome engine. So much power. I attempted 3 landings to get her down. No flaps at this stage but I'll need them for sure. There was no head wind so it was a handfull to slow down.

Love it but the retracts a SH%#. Sierras for this baby.

CJ
Old 01-10-2010, 09:13 AM
G-BBYB

Hi CJ well done
My Hurricane with production retracts have collapsed every landing except once. They lock every time during testing, but in use the port one never seems to lock down.....Just about worn the threads in the grubscrews out dismantling and re-assembling them trying to cure them.

Lovely model otherwise

Cheers
Danny
Old 01-10-2010, 09:39 AM
CAPT John

Does anyone know of a source for replacement canopies for this model? On our side of the pond, KMP tried but could not get any canopies from the factory.
Thanks for any leads.
John
Old 01-20-2010, 04:43 PM
NoFlaps
My Feedback: (131)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How similar is the size or retracts on the 82" to and of the genV YT/ESM/KMP retracts? Wheel dia, strut length, strut dia?
They look the same.
Old 01-20-2010, 04:50 PM
alanc

ORIGINAL: Old Navy Flyer

Does anyone know of a source for replacement canopies for this model? On our side of the pond, KMP tried but could not get any canopies from the factory.
Thanks for any leads.
John

Which version? if its the original, there are NO parts available, for some-person at the factory threw out EVERY mold, not our doing, and we where very peeved, if its the new bigger version, then either TBM, or VQ warbirds will carry stock

you could try contacting Steve, at Bobs Hobbies, orlando, he may just have one, best get a cowl as well, if he has anyyou never know!!!
Old 01-20-2010, 05:57 PM
CAPT John

ORIGINAL: alanc

ORIGINAL: Old Navy Flyer

Thanks for any leads.
John

Which version? if its the original, there are NO parts available, for some-person at the factory threw out EVERY mold, not our doing, and we where very peeved, if its the new bigger version, then either TBM, or VQ warbirds will carry stock

you could try contacting Steve, at Bobs Hobbies, orlando, he may just have one, best get a cowl as well, if he has anyyou never know!!!
It's the original version. I'll try contacting Bob's Hobbies. Good idea about getting a cowl as well...I'm sure I'll need it eventually.
Thanks for the help!
John
Old 01-20-2010, 06:19 PM
alanc

i would not hold your breath, but there will be one somewhere, Tell Steve i say hello, another option might be the Brian Taylor canopy, for the 70"version, whether this fits, i dont know, but it is the same size(ish) these are availble from Traplet publications, the cowl WONT fit, Bob Holman, over your side, carried these parts before Traplet moved inmight be worth a try??
Old 01-22-2010, 02:16 AM
crackajack

ORIGINAL: alanc

i would not hold your breath, but there will be one somewhere, Tell Steve i say hello, another option might be the Brian Taylor canopy, for the 70''version, whether this fits, i dont know, but it is the same size(ish) these are availble from Traplet publications, the cowl WONT fit, Bob Holman, over your side, carried these parts before Traplet moved inmight be worth a try??

Hi there,
If anyone has an original, uncut cowl, I can make a mould. I have made several moulds for cowls in the past. Check out my thread in RC Groups on the H9 Spit. I redesigned the cowl and made a mould for it. This is kind of my job in the car industry. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...=991142&page=5
So if anyone has one I can use for the master, I'll be happy to make one, and you can have a spare for free for the use of the cowl!!

Just a suggestion

CJ
Old 01-22-2010, 11:18 AM
MerlinFan
My Feedback: (27)

I have 2 of these ARFs 72" I'm thinking about selling one. Price would be $350 plus shipping. Might put it up on RCU in a couple of weeks.
Old 01-22-2010, 05:38 PM
radpilot

Merlin Fan please let me know when you are ready to part with The Hurricane. I am verry intrested. Thanks
Old 01-24-2010, 02:16 PM
MerlinFan
My Feedback: (27)

PM sent.
Old 06-18-2010, 04:59 PM
darjen38

Well I have just got my one finished today, its only taken me two years to finish but due to Bereavement it all went to pot.

Any way just waiting for a decent day to maiden her...

Old 06-18-2010, 05:19 PM
G-BBYB

Looks fantastic Darjen, well done.

All the best with the maiden, let us know how you get on.

Cheers
Danny

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.