Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

TF GS P47 Build - yeah another bloody one!!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

TF GS P47 Build - yeah another bloody one!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2007, 09:36 PM
spitmad

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: TF GS P47 Build - yeah another bloody one!!

hey Brad

Yep of all the models I would not want to deck it would be the Byron P51.........I don't think I'd ever find another.........this has now jumped the que for refurb works...........a new paint job was on the cards but now a must....... probably in the Ferocious Frankie scheme
Old 04-26-2007, 02:07 AM
camdyson

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

O.K. Pete - 2 1/2 years and 100 pages later.........what are you building up there, the pyramids??!!!!! What? Did someone say something about Queenslanders and slow? Wasn't me![8D]

BTW, my club (Bairnsdale - Vic.) is holding a scale fly-in on Sunday 20th May if any of you Victorians want a nice day's flying - prizes, catering, trade stand,nice field yadda yadda yadda. Anyone wants an entry form pm me - it's just a fun fly, no documentation required.

Cheers all,

Cam
Old 04-26-2007, 04:15 AM
Peter_OZ
Banned
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Alan,
well we do'nt owe quite that much but had simialr thought end of last year and early this year when we were going to buy another place. to get what we wanted though we would have to spend over $600K so have decided to stay put 2 more years till child support finishes and we have extra $ to spend. More equity in this place too!

Bloody lucky with the 51. Check your battery packs and switches, sounds like low voltage under load. Your not using NiMh packs are you? If you toss em in the bin and get a 3600mAh Sub C NiCd pack for main and a 1100mAh AA NiCd pack for backup. Just put em on sepearate heavy duty switches

good luck!

cheers
Peter
Old 04-26-2007, 07:55 PM
spitmad

hey Pete

yep I was lucky with the 51.........The battery packs are 2 x 1800 mah Nicads on JR gold switches into a MPX 12 chan RX with dual batt inputs........I will double check the batteries but they were freshly charged ???.........I think I'll swap them out for fresh ones after the refurb...........also be installing separate servos for the ailerons in the wings.

I hope to get my garage finished this weekend so I can get back to building......I need to get that gasser installed in the TF jug and fly the damn thing before it is permenantly grounded by hanger rash !

BTW

As Cam has asked.......How is your Jug progressing ........I don't thing evolution itself has taken this long

Hey Cam

A flying buddy of mine has a stink boat at Paynesville........we might be up that weekend (we sail yachts and fly float planes off his boat)..........if so we'll call past your club for a fly.........it's only 10 mins up the road from the boat.

cheers

Alan
Old 04-27-2007, 12:39 AM
ticketec
My Feedback: (2)

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

[X(][X(] AHHH [X(][X(]

Not the BYRON!!!!

Good to here that she's not to damaged and you got her down in one piece. Did you damage any of the prop blades? I remember you trying to get a set of stiffer carbon blades for it some time ago, did you have a win?

You'll have to post some more pic's of her, but i'm scared i'll short out my keyboard because i'm drooling again!

Thanks
Old 04-27-2007, 02:35 AM
Peter_OZ
Banned

yeah well as for evolution all good things take time.

Too many things to do, too little time. Been doing a little on the cockpit so that is my next job to complete.
Old 04-27-2007, 09:19 AM
rt3232
My Feedback: (6)

Hi Pete

You did not get back on the info on the squrodern lite size, but from anorther sorce I got these Dim's but unable to confirm them, so do they sound about right 1.17 O.D. .65 I.D. for the bezel and lense to match, they seam a bit big but I have a 1" and a .5 punch, so will go with that if you think it is close enough. Will use .005 white styreen for the bezel and .003 colored for the lense as I am just doing a sim. Don't want to build a vac/form machine so will try to do a stretch for the wing tip lites,.
Seames like the little stuff takes forever, and I got a bit more done on the wing. mabe some pic's next week.

Catch you later

Bob T
Old 04-27-2007, 05:52 PM
Peter_OZ
Banned

oh bugger!

sorry Bob, been so swamped with work have not had time. Just took a pic showing what I did on the bottom of the P51 (82" Span) and from the blown up 3 views of the bottom of the P47 wing.

P51 lights are about 3/4"

But on the P47 they are 1 9/16th"

cheers
Peter

ORIGINAL: rt3232

Hi Pete

You did not get back on the info on the squrodern lite size, but from anorther sorce I got these Dim's but unable to confirm them, so do they sound about right 1.17 O.D. .65 I.D. for the bezel and lense to match, they seam a bit big but I have a 1" and a .5 punch, so will go with that if you think it is close enough. Will use .005 white styreen for the bezel and .003 colored for the lense as I am just doing a sim. Don't want to build a vac/form machine so will try to do a stretch for the wing tip lites,.
Seames like the little stuff takes forever, and I got a bit more done on the wing. mabe some pic's next week.

Catch you later

Bob T
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj22930.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	2.71 MB
ID:	673496  
Old 04-28-2007, 01:30 AM
Peter_OZ
Banned

a 100 bloody pages and still not done - BUGGER!

Thought I would add that before some smart arse got in and said it! [X(]

So did a little today on the Jug, trial fitted the instument panel and all good. Sprayed primer on all the cockpit parts which are just curing. Will then give them a coat of silver prior to do the colour coat.

Old 04-28-2007, 02:07 AM
ticketec
My Feedback: (2)

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

he, he ,he
Old 04-28-2007, 03:49 AM
Peter_OZ
Banned

ok now I have all the little black box, instument panel etc sprayed flat black.

Cockpit floor, sides, armour and the seat have been spreayd green zinc chromate

might be able to think about fitting some bits to the sides tomorrow.

Will then start to tackle the mounting and slides for the canopy including the ram to drive it.

Once that is done the cockpit can be fitted permanently and the cockpit sides extended up top where they are supposed to be.

Lots of fiddly jobs to do before I can hit the fuz with primer.
Old 04-29-2007, 03:29 AM
Peter_OZ
Banned

got lots done on the cockpit today, still plenty to do on it though. One pics shows some of the parts still to fit, flare pouch, flare gun fitting, radio channel selector box, throttle quadrant and throttle grip.

I find this sort of work very relaxing and rewarding too as it brings the model to life.

Once I am finished the cockpit I will do the air ram installation that drives the canopy. Cockpit can then be permantly fitted and then on the building up the cockpit sides, canopy rails and the canopy spreader bar etc.

Had a lucky one with my 1/4 scale Cub today, took off lovely, was flying around and noticed a black dot falling away, yes you guessed it a wheel had fallen off. Got the general direction of the fall but had to concentrate on flying so did not see exactly where it went.

Flew about for a few circuits then decided to come in to land so using my old parade ground voice yelled out to the other pilots " Cub downwind for landing with one wheel!"

Lined it up keeping the wing high on the side with the missing wheel and using rudder to line touched down nicely on one wheel, kept the axle off till it stalled then it just dropped in, tail went up and it just sat on it's nose. No damage and looked very nice.

so Off I go to bring it back and noticed this bloke walking towards the direction of where my wheel had gone.

Got the model back to the pits and saw him walking back with something in his hand. By the time I got to him I could see it was the missing wheel. How lucky! He had tracked exactly where it landed and went straight to it. Man I was most appreciative and flew another 4 lovely flights.

Name:	Rp42161.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	674421   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr55878.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	674422   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj21780.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	674423   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy77843.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	674424  
Old 04-29-2007, 05:25 AM
camdyson

Hi Alan,

Would love to cach up if you can drop by - be sure to introduce yourself if you do. There should be a few nice planes there, including a couple of you "city types" and Brian Green's Eindecker, as well as alot of locals. Don't suppose you can pack a plane? Either way, hope to catch up.

Cheers,

Cam

p.s. Nice to see some progress Pete!
ORIGINAL: spitmad

hey Pete

yep I was lucky with the 51.........The battery packs are 2 x 1800 mah Nicads on JR gold switches into a MPX 12 chan RX with dual batt inputs........I will double check the batteries but they were freshly charged ???.........I think I'll swap them out for fresh ones after the refurb...........also be installing separate servos for the ailerons in the wings.

I hope to get my garage finished this weekend so I can get back to building......I need to get that gasser installed in the TF jug and fly the damn thing before it is permenantly grounded by hanger rash !

BTW

As Cam has asked.......How is your Jug progressing ........I don't thing evolution itself has taken this long

Hey Cam

A flying buddy of mine has a stink boat at Paynesville........we might be up that weekend (we sail yachts and fly float planes off his boat)..........if so we'll call past your club for a fly.........it's only 10 mins up the road from the boat.

cheers

Alan
Old 04-29-2007, 06:11 AM
Brad330l

Peter,
cockpit looks real good and good recovery with the cub.
Keep on plug'n away.
And enjoy!!!
Now here is a cub in 'real trouble' anyone know about this???

Brad

Name:	Sp45172.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	20.8 KB
ID:	674478  
Old 04-29-2007, 06:52 AM
Peter_OZ
Banned

keep on keeping on mate. Love this stage of a build.

mmm the cub should be recoverable, it is fully controllable just on rudder and elevator.
Old 04-29-2007, 07:32 AM
US185Damiani

That's an Interstate cadet
and it is part of an airshow act,
He has a cable or something in the cockpit that lets the aileron fly off in flight kind of a flying farmer type thing.
Old 04-29-2007, 07:35 AM
Brad330l

Yep, this is a full size Cub at Reno air races and he 'drops' an aileron during a drunk stunt and continues to fly his routine.
Old 04-29-2007, 07:35 AM
Peter_OZ
Banned

CASA here would never permit that type of a stunt, guess the FAA is a lot less stringent
Old 04-29-2007, 02:25 PM
rt3232

Hi guys

Saw that cub at the Oshkosh air show a few years back and got to read the special bulitin it flys under it is vary impressive, special modified wing and all

Bob T
Old 04-29-2007, 04:44 PM
rt3232

Pete thanks for the info,as it confrims the size I will be using, and thats nice work on the cockpit.

Bob t
Old 04-29-2007, 07:00 PM
spitmad

ORIGINAL: ticketec

[X(][X(] AHHH [X(][X(]

Not the BYRON!!!!

Good to here that she's not to damaged and you got her down in one piece. Did you damage any of the prop blades? I remember you trying to get a set of stiffer carbon blades for it some time ago, did you have a win?

You'll have to post some more pic's of her, but i'm scared i'll short out my keyboard because i'm drooling again!

Thanks
Fortunately the Byron survived with only minor damage.........after the initial loss on control......followed by the freckle puckering......followed by regaining control but heading towards the "swamp of death"......followed by another loss of control trying to do a 180 back to the strip ........I regained control and got her straight and level and heading in the right direction so I throttle back and bellied her in at the end of the strip......just scraping over a fence with inches to spare.
Only damage was the belly scoop that cracked and got a little dinged and the fuse join seam cracking.........the blades and drive gear all survived Ok.........filled the c arby with dirt but no other major damage.It was one of those days where I spent an hour trying the get the engine running.......that should have been a sign to put it back in the trailer[>:].
I ordered the stiffer blades from Iron Bay some time ago along with a new canopy but have not seen them yet ........now it's in need of repair I'll chase them up and get it on the work bench ASAP........

This is the new paint scheme I have planned

cheers

Alan

I well

Name:	Qo40982.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	674900  
Old 04-29-2007, 09:57 PM
Brad330l

Oh spitmad, if you are going to repaint, please do an Aussie scheme,,,,,,, please.

Name:	Vt58512.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	33.0 KB
ID:	675041  
Old 04-30-2007, 04:29 AM
Peter_OZ
Banned

no worries Bob, glad to help out.
Old 04-30-2007, 04:55 PM
US185Damiani

Guys ITS NOT A CUB!!!!!!!

LOL It's an Interstate Cadet!!!!

Or a Porterfield PC65!

Old 04-30-2007, 06:40 PM
Brad330l

yep I see the difference now.
Brad

Name:	Ge94166.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	675489  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.