Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

TF GS P47 Build - yeah another bloody one!!

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

TF GS P47 Build - yeah another bloody one!!

Old 06-18-2005, 03:46 AM
Peter_OZ
Banned
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: TF GS P47 Build - yeah another bloody one!!

Latest progress:

RHS wing

Finished modifying the retract mounts so I can actually get them back out now!

Added about 1 degree more of down angle on the mounts.

sanded all ribs even
Airlines run

Servo leads run, these will be terminated with connectors and joined as Y later on.

Wheel wells fitted out with walls, will glass the bottom & walls of the wells in next day or so. then I will sand the walls down to the same level the sheeting will be. Once that is done and the glassing is completed in the wells I will add some plastic L strut upside down to run lengthwise as per full size.
Then a coat of Zinc chromate before sheeting is done.

a few pics included
cheers
Peter
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo40964.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	286541   Click image for larger version

Name:	Aw70237.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	286542   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz78106.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	286543   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ok29123.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	286544   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd90947.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	286545   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa86832.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	286546  
Old 06-18-2005, 10:33 PM
Peter_OZ
Banned

ok have now started on the other wing half.

It will be done same way as the first half but should be quicker now that I figured out how to do the mods and have completed them on the first half.

I will also be adding wingtip nav light using high intensity LEDS so shave to run wiring for those.

I'll also be fitting wing pylons that will have bomb drop mechanisim in them, not sure yet how to do it but will figure something out.

I also want to fit the landing light. I will be using 35mm dichoric downlight reflector and lens fitted with a 4.8V halogen torch globe. The reflector unit will be hinged and driven by a small servo that is slaved to the flaps so that when I deploy flaps the landing lights extends down and switches on.

will post piccies as I progress.

no flying this Sunday as it is bloody raining [:@]

cheers
Peter
Old 06-18-2005, 11:22 PM
timothy thompson

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

pete I put all the scale goodies on mine and four years later (this month) wing spar craked in a loop. I landed the plane and as soon as i did pieces flew off the wing and fuse.no damage to retracts, engine or gear. I am using carbon rod to reinforce the new wing it wont fall apart now. I am monokoting but putting all the panel lines on an hatches. fIRST PLANE WEIGHTED 30 LBS 8 OVER DESIGN LIMIT!! be careful of extra weight it will land like a rock too heavy then this becomes a chore not a fun hobby.
Old 06-19-2005, 07:39 PM
Peter_OZ
Banned

as a guess I would say you did not reduce power on the down leg of the loop?

All that is needed is a 1/2 wide strip of carbon fibre tape epoxied to the bottom of the spar from just inboard of the tip to same spot on opposite tip.

Mine will be around design weight or slightly higher but not enough to worry about and I will be putting on all the scale touches. This plane flies and lands beautifully even at 30 lbs, maybe you need to look at your techniques and building skills
Old 06-19-2005, 08:30 PM
dwr

Sorry about that blame thing Peter. I figured it wouldn't hurt since your a good distance away. It's just that my local buddies are tied of getting the evil eye. I read in an earlier message that the stock bubble canopy is too small. The one in my kit measured 14.5 inches, a bit short. Do you know if the GP razorback canopy is near scale? I was thinking about going with the razorback configuration. DWR.
Old 06-19-2005, 10:05 PM
Peter_OZ
Banned

blame? [:-]

everyone keeps saying it is too small but I had my 3 views blown up to exact kit size and measured the 3 views against the canopy. It is correct size, only think maybe not quite right is that the canopy has a slightly more "bubble" shape on the top then the kit one.

I can live with that

the scale works out at 1:5.8

cheers
Peter

Name:	Ig12308.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	287202  
Old 06-19-2005, 10:24 PM
timothy thompson

absolutly reduced power. It flew for four years! constantly. at 22 lbs it will fly better. this was my first glass job and i didnt thin epoxy i will do the very colorful tarheel hal scheme its scale and add all panel lines and riviets. she did fly great but the spar gave way so its time for carbon fiber. I had the rotating landing light slaved to flaps cool! I don t know if im repeating that this time
Old 06-20-2005, 03:41 PM
ramcfarland
My Feedback: (44)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Heck Peter!

Your retract installation,in particular the well wells are well.better than mine,which are more or less the kits version with the whole bloody gear ahead of their main spar as shown on the Top Flite plan-geezzz--[:@][8D]

Name:	Ay75099.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	36.5 KB
ID:	287462  
Old 06-20-2005, 06:35 PM
Peter_OZ
Banned

"this was my first glass job and i didnt thin epoxy..."

ka-ching there lays the problem. What weight cloth did you use? When I'm doing glass work I use 3/4 oz and a aviation grade of araldite 3:1 epoxy. I then thin the epoxy wih metholated spirts till it is the consitency of water. For the 1st coat of epoxy all I try and do is fill the weave. I do not want a skating rink effect 1st coat. Once this has cured I take to it wil 80 grit W&D to kock it back then go through successive grades, 180, 240, 600. I do not go back so far as to hit the weave - I am only taking off excess epoxy.

2nd coat again will any weave gaps and creates more of a skating rink effect. Again once cured I take to it with 80, 180, 240 and 600 grit W&D till all the excess epoxy is removed. This leaves a glass smooth surface that is exceptionally light yet very strong.

Monocoat may be light but it adds no strength and in a few flights it will look tatty and will be fraying at the edges.

good luck with it. I'll stick to glass and paint any day

cheers
PEter
Old 06-20-2005, 06:49 PM
Peter_OZ
Banned

hey Richard,
mate that looks gorgeous - any prettier I'd want to bonk it hehehehe

Where did you get the static prop from? What about those pylons, did you make those or buy em?

Test flown yet?

Yeah I'm quite happy with the retract mods so far, I'd like more of a down angle on the mounts so that the wheel will lay flat in the wells but don't think I can get any more without creating other problems. We will see. I may refine that a bit more later once the other half of the wing is built.

I have nearly finished the 2nd half to the point where I can start modifying for subspars and the wheel well.

Mate the kit version of the retracts sux big time. I actually made a complaint to TF about this fact and with other models they build. My arguement was that if they want to go into ARFs for the big stuff then they can cut corners on scale details with those but they need to refine their kit range to make them more scale, expecially things like retract locations.

BTW I got my 82" P51 certified for flight and me with it last Friday. Mate that thing flies like it is on rails, smooth as and the landings are a dream, I probably did one of the best landings I have even done with it. Just skimmed it about 1" over the grass in ground effects till it just greased in. I'm still buzzing from it!!

I fly it at under 1/2 power, full speed is really too quick. It is has a ST 2500 in it which is not overpowered, it is just a very slick bird. I really do notice now how much sky these big birds needs since coming off the little stuff. At least I can see them more easily.

cheers
Peter

Name:	Db86213.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	287534  
Old 06-20-2005, 07:05 PM
ramcfarland

Thanks Pete,
This is my 1/7 version been flown several seasons now.It has the kit included pylons a glass cowl and a Top Flite static prop a hamilton but close enough to the 'scale'Curtis proreller.

Richard[8D]
Old 06-20-2005, 08:10 PM
Peter_OZ
Banned

ahhhh it looks bigger then that

I know that Aerotech models do a whole range of bits that will fit the GS TF P47. I'm in the process of ordering pylons, bombs anda Ham Std flying spinner. Might get a static prop later on.

Have you flown your GS yet?

cheers
Peter
Old 06-21-2005, 10:22 AM
ramcfarland

No but its nearing completion.

Name:	Lj22327.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	141.9 KB
ID:	287798   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pg61759.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	147.7 KB
ID:	287799  
Old 06-21-2005, 01:13 PM
timothy thompson

ya pete i know now. p-40 is much lighter! I have enough carbon fiber that wing wont fold. iF i put all lines on and hatches I will clear coat. gas will give no oil and it will last. I have a p-47 1:7 scale monokoted looks nice. I will have weights soon! thanks for bein g nice i appreciate it. All you ned to do is use enough to attach cloth I added two coats. HEAvy bird!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-21-2005, 06:36 PM
timothy thompson

fuselage with radio servos tank and engine 13 pounds. No cowl prop or prop hub yet

wing 5 lbs so far retracts installed one side sheeted. I have six pounds to play with and i dont think the cockpit and five servos will weigh that much. Flew my 1:7 TODAY ITS 7 YEARS OLD i HAVE NO IDEA HOW MANY FLIGHTS BUT IT LANDS NICE. i may put the rotating landing light on if the weights stay good. That glass job was piggish heavy!! PLane flew but i flew a friends that was glassed and weighed 24 # what a difference! agile and light on the controls not sluggish. so if I vcan come in at design weight and straighten that left panel we will be ok!

Tim
Old 06-21-2005, 07:36 PM
Peter_OZ
Banned

those little P40s can be pigs, I'll build a big one next year, 94" glass fuz, foam core wings AUW is about 24lbs on those and put a G62 in the nose and they really perform well!

should not be that heavy

i have a 90" spitfire, it is 22lbs, all built up with glass covering and paint

my P51 is 82" glass fuz, built up and glassed wings - 20 lbs

learn glassing technique, it is not hard and you will get light strong planes

cheers
Peter
Old 06-21-2005, 07:49 PM
Peter_OZ
Banned

Richard,
mate that really does look nice, a real credit to your skills and patience!!

Mine is going to be a camo version so no need of flight metal though 1st top coat will be alum colour then camo over it, that way it is easy to simulatate weathering and scratches etc showing

the Al um in ee yum === >> AL ooom unnnn ummmm. Did I translate aussie to US correct? hehehehe bit like is it a router or a rooter! Poms call em rooters.

Have now got the other wing panel completed to the point where I can start adding in the subspars prior to sheeting the top surface. Only took a couple of evenings work to get all that done. Now for the fun stuff.

Once all the mods are in I will play with the retract mount angles some more to see if I can get an extra degre or two of down on the mounts.

Once that is done it is time to make up all 3 of the dihedral brace inserts, sand test fit those then join the wing.

Next is 1/2" carbon fibre tape epoxied to the bottom surfact of the spars extending from outboard 6" of where the subspars end towards the wingtip. This will be 1 piece tape and will be on fore and aft subspars plsu the centre section of the main spar only from start of wheel well to same on other wing.

I'll post some pics once I get up to that stage as it is something different.

What servos are you using on yours?

I have a variety of JR digitals, DS8301s and DS8231 I think they are for elevators, maybe use DS811s for ailerons, Hitec HS-645 9kg torque for flaps, HS925 7kg torque for rudder and standard for aux functions. Got a stack of JR DS537 and Futaba 8301 digitals that I sell but wont use those on this big bird, they are only sport servos.

cheers
Peter
Old 06-21-2005, 09:25 PM
timothy thompson

i used a mini mag bulb and reflector and a ram system. i will install using a mini servo

Old 06-24-2005, 02:35 AM
Peter_OZ
Banned

what type of globe are they? Halogen?

yeah a little hitec like a hs-80 would be good, they are super light and not bad torque too
Old 06-24-2005, 08:45 AM
timothy thompson

yeah cheap and very bright! mini servo a must. dumb to put a standard size when not needed. The only problem is the ram light works off the rx batt so if its on only with full flap i wont drain pack. I thought about slaving to gear but then the light will stay on a lot longer
Old 06-24-2005, 04:28 PM
Peter_OZ
Banned

rx batt? not this black duck, I'll use a seperate pack, using rx battery is asking for trouble

cheers
Peter
Old 06-24-2005, 05:01 PM
timothy thompson

show me how?? the ram is designed to work off the rx pack. how could i use a second smaller amp batt??
Old 06-25-2005, 06:56 AM
Peter_OZ
Banned

the capacity of the pack is not the issue. You simply need to have seperate packs for RX and the light.
In fact you should have 2 packs on your RX for safety anyway.

Just use a seperate switch harness with a seperate battery pack for the Maglight - you can always use the signal wire from the rx to drive whatever is switching the light but have the power coming from the 2nd pack. If your not electrically minded it may be a bit hard to grasp verbally. You need to have someone show you, it really is easy to do though.

cheers
Peter
Old 06-27-2005, 06:13 PM
dwr

Peter that is a great looking 'stang. Looks like the Cripes a' Mighty. There is a full size version of that just up the road near Lakeland at the Fantasy of Flight museum. Well I couldn't stand it anymore so I put my Polikarpov project on the shelf and started on the P-47. Decided on the razorback. I know you guys are way ahead of me but I thought I would add a pic anyway just for grins. I built the tail feathers and holy balsa dust Batman! there was a lot of shaping, plaining, sanding to do. Good thing I kind of like to do that stuff.

Name:	Lj23178.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	290875  
Old 06-27-2005, 07:47 PM
Peter_OZ
Banned

dwr

that is a very nice ov10 bronco there, few of us here are thinking about building a few for fun.

yes the P51 is "cripes a mighty 3rd" scheme. ST2500 in the nose, 20 lbs weight and flies beautifully, real delight and lands like magic.

hey those little polikarpov and a challenge to get off, saw one last year and man was it a handful, nice once up though.

Are you going to do standard retract location or scale? If you go with the scale then look at different retracts, prob sierras. wish I had now.

cheers
PEter

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.