Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

TF GS P47 Build - yeah another bloody one!!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

TF GS P47 Build - yeah another bloody one!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 08:18 AM
Peter_OZ
Banned
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: TF GS P47 Build - yeah another bloody one!!

tea be buggered, it is to house the picnic set and monopoly games set whenthey get bored with shooting down mig-15s. The pilot of the scheme on mine actually did shoot down a mig-15 during the korean war.

Actually nothing wrong with a nice cup o' tea! Gotta have a ginger nut bikkie with it though

Some pics of the control setup so far.

Have to cut the 4-40 rod to length and solder the rod joiner to it. Was getting towards 11pm so a bt late to be cutting with the dremel [:-]

cheers
Peter
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj23685.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	896089   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn42069.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	896090   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sp45525.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	896091   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq51836.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	896092  
Old 03-06-2008, 09:09 AM
BOLTMAN

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Finally got the glass on my Jug wings today.

I had not stripped the film off ( remember this is a re-furb ) until the cloth arrived. I don't like leaving wings sitting around uncovered, that's when they will warp, especially with the humidity we have been having lately.

When I did strip the film there was a fair bit of work to be done to get the surface up to a standard that I was happy to glass over.

Also painted the bars of the "stars & bars" on the fuse. Only painting left on the fuse is the yellow tip on the fin & rudder. Need to re-hinge the rudder first to make sure the mask line lines up.

Tommorrow it will be sanding the wings and doing the second coat of finishing resin.

Cheers

Mick

PS. Peter, I did not realise the cloth you were supplying was 4 feet wide, the last lot I had was only 3 feet wide. Makes it even better value and I shouldn't run out any time soon!!!
Old 03-06-2008, 05:25 PM
Peter_OZ
Banned

Mick,
sanding is such great fun - NOT! I have been known to avoid doing anything at all toa model simply because it involved a lot of sanding. Look at how long it took me to do th fillet and canopy

Well I did wonder why you wanted soooo much cloth as I know how much 10m really is. Anyway at least you now have plenty left for further projects.

how are the full size sales going?

cheers
Peter
Old 03-06-2008, 07:58 PM
rt3232
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hear are the pic of the cockpit istalled

Pete do you know this pilot??

Also will PM you shortly

Bob T

Name:	Wu60187.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	896509   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy79897.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	896510  
Old 03-06-2008, 08:19 PM
BOLTMAN

Finished sanding the resin / cloth on the wings and got a second coat of resin on the bottom.

Just waiting for that to dry so I can do the top.

I just love sanding too[:@]. I wish I had my old man's patience for it. He could sit and sand for hours, but he was a panel beater from the old days when they actually repaired panels not just replaced them.

Re the cloth, it will get used eventually. Next on the bench is my Pica 1/5 scale Mustang. Then eventually I will do the Meister P-47, now that sucker will eat some cloth!!!!

Skylark sales are still not happening, but there are a few good prospects out there for me. Unfortunately with all this crap weather we have been having I have not been able to fly anywhere to show the aircraft to the people are interested. We also have Natfly coming up at Narromine over Easter. This is the biggest sales opportunity of the year, so hopefully we will see some action. Even though it is only a 5 hour flight I plan on leaving about 3 days early just to make sure the weather does not stop me from getting there. Should be a fun trip, I will be flying the Skylark and the wife will be flying our other aircraft, the Sportstar.

I would love to build a model of the Skylark one day, I reckon I have the ultimate resource for documentation and reference!!!! Only problem is that it's not a warbird!!!

Cheers

Mick
Old 03-06-2008, 09:48 PM
Peter_OZ
Banned

Bob,
he looks kind of familiar, think his brosther resides in oz!

cheers
Peter
Old 03-06-2008, 09:53 PM
Peter_OZ
Banned

Mick,
sometimes I can fiddle with things for hours then at other times I hav e no patience at all. Once I get into the sanding I can knock it over pretty fast, it is just the getting started bit that is hard - bit like getting out of bed on a monday morning [:'(]

Don't think any panel beaters these days would know how to do a proper repair, mind you the metal and guage used in panels now would not lend to be repaired. too light a flimsy.

Good luck with that trip and hope you get a few sales, you guys have a lot invesested in that enterprise. Hopefully the bolts side is keeping you going too.

mmm you could always paint it in camo but dont think the purists would let you fly at the warbirds meet!

I just picked up a barand new set of Pete Gow retracts to suit my Mustang, saved about $200. Will mainly use them as complete spare unit to simply screw in if I damage the units fitted. Could not pass up on the deal!!

cheers
Peter
Old 03-07-2008, 08:22 AM
rt3232

Yup he is the one you sent to Tom and he sent him along to me the only thing not to scale is his feet about 20% to big, but he could water shi real well on them.

Will hot stuff him in place and no open canopy so no one will see them any way

Off to work[>:]

bob
Old 03-07-2008, 08:24 AM
rt3232

PS it is -10 this mornimg shivers
Old 03-07-2008, 08:26 AM
Peter_OZ
Banned

enjoy work Bob, hope you have a better day then I did!

10F? eeeekkkk run away , run away!
Old 03-07-2008, 08:30 AM
Peter_OZ
Banned

spent all evening working away on the tail wheel steering. got the part made so I can use pull pull, have one cable installed and connected up, will do the other in the morning. Too tired to complete it tonight.

Won't be a lot of movement either way, maybe 25 degress each way, should be ok though.

Hopeing to get the throttle linkage all sorted tomorrow as well and may be able to get a start on the wing flap setup. Flaps will be a piece of piss! Inner gear doors are going to take a while to sort out, those linkages are a real pain the in the arse. [:@]

Anyway time for a tub and off to nigh nis
Old 03-07-2008, 10:59 AM
BOLTMAN

Got the second coat of finishing resin on the top of my wings this afternoon.

Also finished of my aerial mast.

Started to fit the new dummy radial.

Tonight I got onto sanding the wings, got the bottom done and splashed a quick coat of primer on them. They should not need much work to be ready for paint.

Tomorrow I will sand the top of the wings in between looking for a new rental house. ( Just sold our current house, need somewhere to live while we get the next house built. )

I don't understand why there are not many rentals out there with a workshop already set up to suit a mad aeromodeler[&:][&:][&:].

Cheers

Mick
Old 03-07-2008, 01:30 PM
dwr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bob, I installed tha cooling baffle and have the dummy radial to install. Then I started flying the Jug and got cranked up building a Ziroli B25 and have not yet installed the dummy engine in the Jug. I know, the scale police are going to get me!

Name:	Gd93747.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	897076  
Old 03-07-2008, 09:19 PM
rt3232

Dwr

Will you be doing a thread on your 25, or do you all ready have one I like to follow as I always seam to learn things.

Pete

That was a minus 10 below 0 and to day it got warm to 11 above, still hoping for next week

Bob
Old 03-08-2008, 12:54 AM
Peter_OZ
Banned

OMG! [X(]
Old 03-08-2008, 06:22 PM
Peter_OZ
Banned

started working on the throttle linkages last night, nearly had it sorted out then decided to try and take alitttle bend out of one of the bellcranks. Broken the bloody arm off - argghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh [:@][>:][] there were lots of choice words being yelled!!!!

Anyway the builder of this thing has weird way of doing it. The nyrod comes out the firewall towards the bottom, it goes into a 90 degree bellcrank and goes vertical to another bellcrank which then transfers it horizontaly to the carb throttle arm.

I'm thinking one bell crank mounted to the engine itself just behind the head can then take a nyrod exiting the firewall into a 90 degree bellcrank and then straight to the carb.

I need to have a better look at all of this. I hate the idea of making something too complex if there is a simple way of doing it. Especially as I broke a bellcrank and the fitting it mounted to is custom machined for it. Wonder if I could glue the arm back on and reinforce it? nahhh would not handle the vibration I'm thinking.
Old 03-08-2008, 09:29 PM
rt3232

Pete

Never worked on some one else's idea's and with out seeing the bird can't say much, But knowing a little about you, you best just start at the throtle servo and do your own thing then you will know it will work with out slop.

still cold hear, up to a hi of 16 deg's[&o] did manage to get the fire wall glassed and sides of cockpit installed, and with luck will get to the canopy frame tomarrow

Sent you a pm

Bob T
Old 03-09-2008, 04:44 AM
Peter_OZ
Banned

Well the idea is ok and I have been right over it now, used captive ball links right through and taken out 95% of the slop, it all works well so I am happy with it.

I can not imagine living somewhere so bloody cold. No wonder your arthritis gives you the poohs.

Not sure if you can get it over there but my Mum suffers from arthitis as well, really bad at times. She drinks olive leaf tea, it tastes terrible but is full of anti-oxidants and other natural stuff that works very well on, the bonus is that it boosts your imune system to help fight off colds etc.

Fuz is basically done now. Still have final throws to set up but that will be the last thing I tackle. Still waiting on battery packs to arrive. Installed the RX, it is sitting on a bed of foam. Started hooking up the wiring, again will complete that once I know what leads the wing needs. Fuel tubing you can see in the pic running from the RX carries the antenna wire so as to protect it. There is about 12" of wire along the belly.

I have the wing on the bench now, removed the teeny little dubro control horns and will be using heavy duty Robart 3/4" horns that have in built captive ball connector on them.

Been looking at the inner gear doors, would like to use the 2 x Robart 1 1/2 air cylinders I have but they are too long for a direct connection. The doors do have some bellcranks system already installed that I may be able to connect the air rams to by placing them horizontal. Will post a pic of that later.

And a pic of the P47, will do a bit on the other side later on.

Name:	Ec88162.jpg
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	898656   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up47011.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	898657   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mj24718.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	898658   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr54782.jpg
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	898659   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr49708.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	898660   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni23423.jpg
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	898661   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sp45172.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	898662   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx74295.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	898663  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Cz80087.jpg
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	898664   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez83804.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	898665  
Old 03-09-2008, 07:35 AM
Peter_OZ
Banned

did anybody happen to notice the 1/4" thick steel plate the donk mounts to on this thing? I only saw it myself last night when I removed the cowl, thisng must need some serious nose weight!
Old 03-09-2008, 08:16 AM
BOLTMAN

Well after a weekend where I did not get to spend anywhere near as much time on the Jug as I would have liked, The wings are now in primer.

I am about to head back out to the workshop to start putting the tape on for the panel lines.

I have to be done painting by Tuesday night as Wednesday I need to start packing up the shed to get ready for the move. Still don't have anywhere to move to, but hopefully that will be sorted out in the next couple of days. Have applied for a place nearby that actually has a 6m x 6m shed out the back, be nice to get that so I can set up the workshop again. Not going to be easy fitting all my stuff from the current 9 x 6 shed with a 2.4 x 4.8 mezanine floor into a 6 x 6, but heaps better than not having a workshop at all.

Cheers

Mick
Old 03-09-2008, 11:37 AM
rt3232

Pete

Looks like you are making headway vary nicely, and as for the steel plate I did notice and was going to ask about it, but it may be a good thing if it is soft mounted to the friewall, its mas may dampen out some vibration out of the airframe.

managed to get a bit more done on the 47, it been putty sand, putty sand you know the routine, hoping to get to the canopy frame next, and with luck it will then be warm enough to do some priming

Bob t
Old 03-09-2008, 11:51 AM
BOLTMAN

Got the line tape on for the panel lines and splashed some primer over it.

Tomorrow I will give that a bit of a sand and then start getting some paint on.

It has just started to rain here ( 2.50am[X(] ), hope that is gone by the time I am ready to paint!

Mick
Old 03-09-2008, 05:24 PM
rt3232

Hi all

Been trying to do some fiddly stuff, and I have got my self in a corner. so what is an easy way to do the seat belt and sholder harness for my pilot?? my cockpit kit came with black strap mtl and not a hint that I am not sure will look right.

Any suggestions will be a help

Bob t
Old 03-09-2008, 05:55 PM
Peter_OZ
Banned

Mick,
I can not even imagine trying to pack up my workshop, I have stuff from arsehole to breakfast!

6mx6m is pretty good. My area is 1/2 a double garage, but that 1/2 is only compact can length due to have a wall built in where the laundry is. I do use the other half with racks and some cubords plus have a small bench on castors. But as the car needs to be put to bed I can not take it over completely.

My dream is a high set 3 bay shed with another by on the side with just roof section for doing painting. One day . . .

Anyway best of luck getting a place. I suppose worse came to worse you could hire a storage shed to at least put it all into while your house is being built.

cheers
Peter
Old 03-09-2008, 06:01 PM
Peter_OZ
Banned

Bob,

the steel plate is soft mounted to the firewall and I think it will absorb the vibrations very nicely.

they chap I bought this bird off said it was 30lbs all up but I very much doubt that, I am thinking it is at least 35lbs.

Still it is a huge wing with lots of power in the G62 so should not be a problem.

Going to do a bit of wet sanding on the 47 tonight, just for the hell of it

Then will start planning out what I need to do on the SF wing.

Seatbelt. I got this light cooured stuff from a fabric shop then used a very fine marker pen to draw on the stitching. Back in my thread when I was doing the cockpit there are planty of pics of it and same deal in my old P51 thread.

I used clear bra strap buckles painted silver for the tightening points. Looks pretty good in fact.

That black strap that comes with the TF cockpit kit is best used as lining in the circular filing cabinet, aka the bin!

cheers
Peter

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.