Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Hanger 9 corsair, JUNK .

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Hanger 9 corsair, JUNK .

Old 12-18-2004, 12:15 PM
carstoreguy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hanger 9 corsair, JUNK .

I set up a hanger 9 corsair with a saito 100 this week , what a great looking airplane! I read about the fire wall issues so I put epoxy on the rear of the firewall all the way around the fuse prior to building it. All went well on the first two flights so after trimming it out and checking everything I decided to take her for a final hop. The saito was running awesome so i taxied her on to the runway and lined her up for takeoff, no wind here today so it's perfect for a relaxing scale "flyby"! Off she goes! She breaks ground and gaining altitude, CRACK!! oh no what was that? OH ***** ! The fire wall busted off and she dives into the runway like she was shot down by a Zero! [:'(]
retracts = bent
wing=junk
saito 100 bk= full of dirt[&o]
hanger 9 Corsair = junk
If your thinking of building this plane make sure you add 5 or 6 pounds of fiberglass, epoxy,
screws,plywood,solder,liquid steel,toothpicks,bondo,nails,lock nuts,and a 2 x 4 (no knots)

The plane is a heap! The posts on rcu are right! I was wrong for building it without listening to the warnings.

What should I do about myH9 Mustang? That firewall is still intact and she has 4 flights on it!
[:@]
Old 12-18-2004, 01:23 PM
Richard L.
My Feedback: (24)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: Hanger 9 corsair, JUNK .

Did you add glass cloth to secure the firewall to the fuse or just plain epoxy?
Old 12-18-2004, 01:53 PM
JAkridge

Another un-satestfied ARF customer.. H-9 or not...... You have to do some upgrade work, a little light glass cloth would have done the trick.
And you would be loveing that Hanger 9 plane.....

Sorry for the loss.
Old 12-18-2004, 04:25 PM
LDM
My Feedback: (15)

Sorry for your loss, the last thing you need to hear on an ARF is what to do now , but most of us who were fortunite to glass the fuse inside have injoyed this plane . I cut small dowles , glued to firewall back to second bulk head then fiberglassed the entire area .
I still realize the H9 should have or shoud be addressing these issues , we as consumers trust that a ARF is safe and this issue is certainly not safe . I just visited a hobby shop in Lancaster where the H9 Cors was under contruction , the engine bulkhead was all "holed Up 'because the did not read the post on 1/4 over and down worse yet I told them to reinforce the bulkhead but I started to sound like a know it all and they were tuning me out .
Old 12-18-2004, 07:12 PM
Cubano8

As I posted in the past, and I'll say it again. That JUNK , GARBAGE Hangar 9 Corsair is a major SAFETY HAZARD.

carstoreguy,

Please post a review on the rcuniverse review page. Hopefully someone looking into this CRAP H9 product will think likewise.

I felt the same way you did when my wing folded on me.

I'm never going to buy a H9 product, and everyone I meet, I tell them my story, and I have turned a lot of people away from buying this plane, that could end up hurting someone.
Old 12-18-2004, 07:43 PM
Richard L.

The sad thing is that H9 won't do a single thing about the firewall problem as long as money keeps rolling in. It will take someone getting killed before they start to open their eyes.
Old 12-18-2004, 10:23 PM
LDM

There is another option that none of us has discussed , the CONSUMER SAFETY BOARD , I think you start with your complaint , it takes about three weeks before they get back to becuase as you can imigine they are swamped . However they will respond . I suggest you document your facts , referance this site as back up and the variuos post , leave out the emotions and anger and most importantly let H9 know what your doing . Trust me I am in the food industry and my company makes kids novelity candy , we test every possible aspect for safety and one slip and the item is pulled . THis plane if not modified will hurt a person !!!! that is a major slip , funny thing is that our modifactions that make it safe would actually hurt us in court . It would be ruled that we altered the product after market regardless of our findings , so make your statement but watch out how much you tell them about reinforceing the firewall,
just state the facts , events as they occured and resulting damage .
Old 12-19-2004, 02:28 AM
DiscoWings
My Feedback: (76)

lets sue them[>:]
Old 12-19-2004, 07:18 AM
LDM

Funny but that was not my intentions . I am simply statening that as a consumer you can report this product just like any other item sold and have it reviewed . If it poses a public safety and as stated in this forum seem to be the case then the CSC will look into it . However just like any othe govermnet intervention its a long drawn out process . Considering all of the over the counter products from appliances to OTCs there is a long line of safty issues .However as a modeler you have a choice you can live with you failed model that could have cause you and others harm or alert H9 of your intentions and CSC.

I received the kit last xmas , let it sit in the box for while for other projects . Then I read this post "warning dangers with H9 corsair " . I emialed H9 and told them about the problem , they clamed that it was a fluke and did not have recurring problems . My hobby shop told me there was a "First Release " corsiar and they must have been talking about that one . The firts release Corsair used two servos for the retracts and most of them went to hobby shop or H9 Distributors so I dont believe that story for a miniute . Like I siad before I was lucky to read the post . Look at Fly RC this month and there review of the H9 Corsair , what a joke , I guess the old saying " I read PLayboy for the articles " can now be used with all airplane mags in reverse " I read RC mags for the Pictures " !!!!!!!!!
Old 12-19-2004, 08:11 AM
jaka

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi!
Just a curious question ...how large engines is the Corsair made for??
Regards!
Jan K
Sweden
Old 12-19-2004, 09:30 AM
aghost
My Feedback: (13)

The H-9 manual list engine sizes .91 - 1.0 four stroke and .60 - .75 two stroke.
Old 12-19-2004, 11:16 AM
DiscoWings
My Feedback: (76)

can anyone post intructions on how to re-enforce the firewall e.t.c.? I'm not sure how to do it and I just got this plane[]
Old 12-19-2004, 11:37 AM
crownvic

In most states there is such a thing called implied warranty or when you buy something it is to work as the manufacture says it will.If it failed because of workmanship or materials H9 should replace it if not there is always small claims court

MERRY CHRISTMAS

Lonnie
Old 12-19-2004, 12:03 PM
wildnloose

C'mon fellas, its a cheap arf mass produced in China with hot melt glue. The reason we buy them is either we do not have the time or we are too lazy to build a kit (I am in that second part).

I'm hard on planes, I believe in pushing those sticks in the corners as hard and often as I can, but I think a little common sense goes a long way here. I'm no expert at this hobby, but I listen to the more experienced fellas at my club and go over every plane I purchase with a fine-tooth comb, then I ask them to do the same (a second pair of eyes always find things I miss). I do fine inadequacies in every one of them (some were built by supposedly very good kit builders, they just took some shortcuts that I did not like) and I change them to my liking.

I do believe in building planes to fly, not crash (which means light), but most arfs do not posess an adequate support structure for that lightness, thus we modify them.

Just my 2 bits...
Old 12-19-2004, 01:49 PM
RBgunner
My Feedback: (8)

Ok, I am going to put my dollar in this ring. It sounds to me like quite a few people have had the same or similar problems with this plane. ARF stands for Almost Ready to Fly, so if you build the plane by following the supplied directions and do not overpower the plane or make a mistake in putting the remaining portions of it together, then it should be safe and fly well without any further modifications. If the plane needs extra support in areas to make it stay together then H9 should at least state in the instructions book that these strengthening steps need to be taken. The idea that we are all supposed to go over our ARFs and find a problem, that if not corrected, would cause the plane to break apart is not right. Some areas of an ARF cannot be seen to be inspected and if you can see them and identify a problem it may be impossible to correct the problem because access is restricted or not possible. The idea that an ARF must be disassembled to make it strong enough to be safe to fly is rediculous. That is why it is an ARF. The portions of the plane assembled by the manufacture should be strong enough to do their job. It is the responsibility of the purchaser to make sure the parts of the plane he or she assembles are put together correctly and in a strong manner. Just my opinion.
Old 12-19-2004, 02:06 PM
wildnloose

No argument from me. I agree with you....but...

Also, like I stated.....you are commenting on how it should be, not reality. Personally I would never trust a hot-glued firewall, be it arf, arc or kit...period...

Let me ask another question....if you buy a plane from a person who built it (they tell you its flyable); you fly it and it falls apart....do you go after the previous owner??? or do you accept full responsibility??? I mean, where do you draw the line??? It happened to me, I bought a built kit from a club member and the firewall came off during flight. I assumed this guy knew what he was doing....look where it got me...
Old 12-19-2004, 02:16 PM
Richard L.

ORIGINAL: wildnloose

apparently you did not read the warranty information. The minute you put the plane together you accept responsibility, not hangar 9.
The firewall is assembled at the factory and not by the end user. The end user does not do final assembly to the firewall or use material to assemble the firewall. Therefore, if the firewall fails with the recommended engine, then Hangar 9 accepts full responsibility.
Old 12-19-2004, 03:41 PM
RBgunner
My Feedback: (8)

RichardL. That is my point. If you cannot trust the parts of an ARF assembled by the factory and you have to check and possibly rebuild a bunch of the ARF to make it safe then there is a problem. I make modifications to a lot of ARFs but they generally are not critacal things that right out of the box could cause catastrofic failure and possible serious injury. Thus, I am not talking about cosmetic things-flimsy firewalls are not acceptable. H9 has to be responsible for the parts of an ARF they assemble and H9 should step up and redesign the ARF or put out directions to reinforce the area properly. If enough people have had this problem with this particular ARF and it has caused them damage (physical or otherwise) and H9 has not done anything to rectify the problem, then the affected community could pose a class action lawsuit.
Old 12-19-2004, 04:15 PM
wildnloose

Old 12-19-2004, 04:34 PM
Richard L.

When you buy a real car or truck, do you reinforce the firewall? If the firewall fails under normal usage, then the factory assumes full responsibility. Nuff said.
Old 12-19-2004, 04:42 PM
wildnloose

Ok, everyone seems to be missing the point I'm trying to make. I'm glad you are able to get a new plane if your firewall breaks loose.

I only buy arfs, and I reinforce All of the firewalls. I don't trust any firewall that is hot glued

If you trust them, then fine, if your engine comes off and injures me then I will know who to sue, you and the manufacturer.

BTW-Richard, bad comparison, my cars don't require further assembly
Old 12-19-2004, 05:41 PM
LDM

I agree with Rich and RB , its one thing to make adjustmenst to an ARF but not ones that prevent a catostropic event , that is just unacceptable .

We all buy products everyday , if they create safety hazards as introduced -you can get they are pulled off the market and the manufacture is left paying the return , damage and replacemnet cost . I dont want to bore you but I can list 100dres . I see them in my referance sheets when reviewing food safety issues .
1)Jell yoyos
2)small e-pad for weight loss
3)efedera
Old 12-19-2004, 06:01 PM
Richard L.

My point is that if the firewall breaks due to assembly or defective parts used by the manufacturer, then the manufacturer assumes full responsibility. No buts, no exceptions. No wonder why H9 has not taken any steps to address the firewall issue because they assumed the end user will reinforce the firewall and because of all the posts backing up H9 above.
Old 12-19-2004, 07:07 PM
rrudytoo
My Feedback: (27)

wildnloose,

From p.5 in the manual(under Warranty Information) In that Horizon Hobby has no control over the final assembly or material used for the final assembly, no liability shall be assumed nor accepted for any damage of the final user-assembled product. By the act of using the product, the user accepts all resulting liability. If the buyer is not prepared to accept the liability associated with the use of this product, the buyer is advised to return this kit immediately in new adn unused condition to the place of purchase Kinda makes it hard to sue????
Bud, any lawyer worth his salt could defeat this statement with ease. These comments are put in to scare off those who may question but not challenge the offending company. Should someone, God forbid, get injured or killed due to a firewall separation Hangar 9 will suffer the consequences if a legal complaint is raised.

If you are correct in assuming that "final assembly" implies work performed at the factory then they further endanger their position by stating that they have no control over a product they sell. That screams irresponsibility, does it not? For a company to continue to offer a product that has a reputation of dangerous destructive tendencies is unbelievable in this time of heightened product liability litigation. But I question the term "final assembly".

I have to believe that final assembly refers, not to the construction of the plane at the factory, but to the assembly of the factory parts by the kit purchaser. No kit manufacturer can observe or verify a builder's work and could, therefore, not be held accountable for errors made in that phase of construction. That, in my mind, is what Hangar 9 termed "final assembly".

To me, the answer is simply not to purchase a Hangar 9 Corsair and to alert others who may be considering the purchase of one or may have already purchased one to the potential danger associated with this plane. In our society, money talks and word of mouth is very powerful indeed.

Al
Old 12-19-2004, 07:50 PM
wildnloose

I guess no one is accountable for their planes these days...I guess if you fly into someone you can blame it on H9 or any other manufacturer....say its a defect...

But, I will digress...Y'all win...interesting thread....good reading...glad to see all the differing opinions....well let me rephrase that...my opinion was the only different one

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.