Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

How to paint ABS Cowl?

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

How to paint ABS Cowl?

Old 12-17-2001, 05:38 AM
JohnMcGowan
My Feedback: (15)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How to paint ABS Cowl?

Hello Warbirders!!! I need to know the best way to paint an ABS cowl. I have the TopFlite Hollywood Zero that has the abs stuff and I dont own any spray equipement such as airgun or compressor.I will need to paint this with spraypaint out of a can so I need to know whats a good paint to use.I will be using
YS 20-20 fuel , so the paint needs to hold up under this much nitro. I need to paint this flat black color. Also do I need to primer this cowl before painting or can I just spray this cowl after I clean it good? Whats the best brand of paint you guys are using and any tips for me? Thanks for any help you can offer!!
John McGowan Birmingham, AL
Old 12-17-2001, 07:42 PM
TopShelf
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know a lot of people don't like it but I have had good luck with Lustrecoat. Tough to get a really good finish out of a can but since you're going flat black, should be less of an issue.

Kent
Old 12-17-2001, 11:04 PM
Paul Grubich
My Feedback: (1)

I had a problem with Lustercoat flat clear and 15% fuel. The raw (unburned) 15% ate through the clear coat to the finish but raw 10% did not.

Paul
Old 12-22-2001, 01:10 AM
scale buff
My Feedback: (24)

Default Paint ABS cowl

First, you must sand the ABS with 220 grit paper. Take all the shine off. Then, you might try good old Rustoleum. I've painted several models, the whole model, with it and it has held up beautifully. I must say that I have never used fuel higher than 10% nitro, so can't speak from experience as to how it will hold up with higher nitro, but with 10 %, it's great. Plus, the price is right. Some friends have also had good luck with Krylon. But, like everything else, try it on a scrap first.
Old 12-23-2001, 03:51 AM
JohnMcGowan
My Feedback: (15)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ABS COWL

ok....got it painted!!!!I primed it with rustoleum grey primer, let it cure for a couple of days, then sprayed it with Lustercoat gloss black. I will let that set for a few days then give it the flat clear coat that every warbird deserves. Thanks for everyones input and I hope that you all have a MERRY CHRISTMAS!! John
Old 12-23-2001, 10:04 PM
Fighterpilot
My Feedback: (2)

Default Painting abs cowl

Before you apply that flat clearcoat over the gloss black, be sure to scuff the gloss black so that the clearcoat has something to bite onto. If you don't do that, everytime you hit the cowl, the clearcoat will chip off. Just use a scuff pad which you can purchase at any automotive paint supply store. I scuff down my entire airplane before applying clearcoat. Be sure to remove all the dust and oils by wiping down with something like acrysol before applying your clearcoat.