Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Which engine for TopFlite Corsair

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Which engine for TopFlite Corsair

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2005, 04:42 AM
chetong

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which engine for TopFlite Corsair

Hi,

I am buildind the corsair F4U from Top Flite (golden edition).
I would like to have the feedback from some of you about the engine to fit in. They recommend .90 - 1.20 range in 4 stroke and I am thinking to use the 0S91FS but it is may be a bit "short" for this type of plane.[&o][&o][&o]
In addition to that question, I would like to share experience about the retracts fitting. Instructions are not really clear and I do not understand how to fix my Robbart retracts.[:@][:@]
Many thanks in advance for your answers.
Christophe from Paris.
Old 01-14-2005, 02:58 PM
fredscz
My Feedback: (47)

Default RE: Which engine for TopFlite Corsair

I just sold one that I flew for two years. It was built with fixed gear and mono-coated. I flew it for a while with a Saito 100 and it was really fun. I then put an OS91FS [same bolt pattern but heavier] and flew it a while and there was a lot more difference than I expected. The plane always flew "light" but with the os it was more scale like and not as much fun. I have seen a lot of them fly with 120 four-strokes but they were really scaled out [heavy].
These are real popular planes so I expect you will get a lot of info and opinions.
Fred B
Old 01-14-2005, 03:53 PM
lukeshort

I fly mine with a Magnum 91fs and it flys very scale-like. It weighs 8
pounds 5 ounces. I think it probably could use a larger size engine to add a little better performance. In order to roll I have to use full power and do a shallow dive to get the necessary speed. It will do snap rolls, great inverted, immelmans and looks and flys great using the flaps when landing. I have Robart retracts and have experienced no problems with them except I had to fiddle quite a bit to get them installed. The engine is inverted and I had problems flooding because the tank is by enecessity mounted too high. I fixed this by installing a Cline fuel pressure system and can't wait for good weather so I can get it out again. Those low fly-bys are really pretty. If it's necessary to do all the tricks a pilot should get one of those 3-d planes.
Old 01-14-2005, 05:29 PM
voyager_663rd

will eventually use an rcv90sp.
Old 01-14-2005, 09:14 PM
daw
My Feedback: (6)

Mine flys great with OS91 turning a 15-6 prop @ 9000 RPM. most of the flight is at 3/4 throttle. You will enjoy this plane. It took 6 ounce of lead to balance and finished @ 10lbs with flaps, retracts and cockpit.
Old 01-14-2005, 10:23 PM
Richard L.
My Feedback: (24)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Being a YS guy, I would drop a YS 110FZ in it. Nothing can touch the power and sound of a YS in a warbird. Check it out:

* [link=http://www.whitetyphoon.com/rc/h9_corsair/movies/HighSpeedPass02.mpg]Corsair High Speed Pass #1[/link]
* [link=http://www.whitetyphoon.com/rc/h9_corsair/movies/HighSpeedPass03.mpg]Corsair High Speed Pass #2[/link]
Old 01-14-2005, 10:25 PM
docrob

I'm building a Marutaka (Royal) 1/8 Corsair which is going to be powered by a YS 110 turning a 13x8 three blade prop. I'm working with retracts as well, though I have a pair that came with the original Japanese kit and with no mention in the plans for fitting anything but a fixed landing gear, fitting these retracts is going to be an exercise in innovation and ingenuity. I'll share my experiences regarding those here. You can see my progress here:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_25...tm.htm#2538454
Old 01-15-2005, 07:02 PM
Doug D.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've built two of the TF Corsairs. Both with two strokes, flaps and Robart retracts. I lost the first one when it went into a plowed field due to engine failure.
The present one is flying very well with a MVVS .77, more than enough power. The robart retracts work, but my experience has been one of regular maintainace. Sometimes parts come loose even with loctite.
Old 01-15-2005, 09:22 PM
cknaack
My Feedback: (1)

I'll also vote for the YS. I mounted a 91AC on mine. It was a strong motor, and as Richard pointed out, they sound great!
Old 01-16-2005, 06:07 AM
DiscoWings
My Feedback: (76)

Super Tigre G-90 w/ 13x7 prop & bison pitts muffler is a good and affordable combination.

YOu can get one for 125 w/bission pitts muffler from TowerHobbies right now.

It will pull this plane nicely and have power to spare.