Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Realistic Expectations to build a big P47...

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Realistic Expectations to build a big P47...

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2005, 11:55 AM
CraigM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Realistic Expectations to build a big P47...

Pickupsticks,

You mentioned that the Meister Jug is not quite as scale as the smaller ones. In what way is it out of scale and, in your opinion, would it take a lot of bashing to bring in more into scale?

Thanks,

Craig
Old 01-18-2005, 12:13 PM
Katchmarek
My Feedback: (29)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Craig, Well the outline is pretty darn good on the Meister Jug...the thing that turns some folks off is that it has a flat bottom airfoil...but that is also what makes it fly so darn good too! Also, due to the flat bottom wing, you are pretty much limited to the CJM retracts, and they aren't all that scale either. However, unless you're a P-47 expert, seeing a well built and finished model on the ground you would never know though as it presents itself very, very well. And also what I was also alluding to was the fact that it has no details such as panel lines molded in as in a Yellow glass kit. What ever detail you choose to do, is what it will have. I prefer it that way though, I've never really seen a glass fuse model with details built in that I really like anyway, with the exception of maybe FiberClassics...maybe?
Rob
Old 01-18-2005, 12:34 PM
branded
My Feedback: (9)

Branded, For the most part I agree completely. But it never took me all that long to build a TF kit...maybe it's just me I haven't built a TF in about 10 years, and I don't miss them either...just my preference, I like bigger airplanes...Meister, PCM, Nosen...etc.

Pickup.... Maybe I'm doing something wrong but I can't seem to get through a T/F kit that fast. Too many parts, too much sheeting, and just plain too much assembly.....

Perhaps I've just grown too familiar with glass and foam that its become second nature to me. I fly through wing and stab construction and only slow up on fuse construction. It just seems to me that I spend much less time on a Ziroli than I ever did on any kit from T/F.

JMO
Old 01-18-2005, 12:48 PM
Katchmarek

Branded, Well, to be honest...I don't always follow the instructions included Also, I've built a bunch of them way back when and I guess I just developed a knack. Now if you really want to talk about too many parts and labor intensive...how about Pica and Royal kits!!! Now for me, I don't do all that many glass and foam kit's...I prefer the old fashioned way...wood and more wood. But there are times when I do make exceptions, and my lack of familiarity does cause delays at times. I guess it all just boils down to what you're used to.
Rob
Old 01-18-2005, 01:31 PM
CraigM

Thanks, Rob.

Craig
Old 01-18-2005, 03:01 PM
MarkShapiro
My Feedback: (52)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am trying to make a decision right now on either the Meister or the Ziroli. In my mind, both have pros and a few cons. Frankly, the only con I can think of in the Ziroli is that it is not as large as the Meister. The only con for the Meister are the limited retract choice of CJ and, I thought, no glass fuselage availability. Bomberboy, please tell me where I can get a glass fuse for the Meister and that could esily tip the balance. Thanks.
Old 01-18-2005, 05:15 PM
TrueScale
My Feedback: (47)

Mark, sent you a pm
Old 01-18-2005, 06:50 PM
zipnz1
My Feedback: (2)

just thought i would throw my support in for the meister p-47. this model attracts attention everywhere because of it's large size. the fuse on this thing is huge at just short of 8' long so this has to be taken in consideration as far as transporting when looking into building this model.
i have to admit that this is one of the best warbirds i have flown and the landing is something of beauty.
here is a few pics of the meister p-47 that i built. it was built with the fiberglass fuse out of my own molds that i developed. i have developed the molds for the fuse, belly pan, gear doors and a glass canopy frame. glass parts help speed up the building but a lot of time is spent in detailing a warbird. the more time you put into the details the more imressive the model is.

mike

[img][/img]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	He96996.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	217157   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg16889.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	217158  
Old 01-18-2005, 06:52 PM
zipnz1

here is a couple more

[img][/img]

Name:	Ax73178.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	16.2 KB
ID:	217159   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je99023.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	217160  
Old 01-18-2005, 06:55 PM
TrueScale
My Feedback: (47)

Hi Mike,

Your the one I told Mark about. Didn't know if you wanted your info posted

Chuck
Old 01-18-2005, 06:56 PM
zipnz1

if you guys don't mind here is a couple more

[img][/img]

Name:	Fd91945.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	20.2 KB
ID:	217163   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx75331.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	16.0 KB
ID:	217164  
Old 01-18-2005, 07:01 PM
Katchmarek

Mike, Sweeeeet!!!
Rob
Old 01-18-2005, 08:04 PM
seanucd2000
My Feedback: (1)

Wow! I love that thing. I was just thinking of building a smaller one, but after imagining what it would be like to have one of those, I don't know if I can!

Can I ask what engine and servos you use in there? And, how many? Can I use one for each control surface, or do I need several?

Thanks!!!
Old 01-18-2005, 08:32 PM
Katchmarek

Sean, Just go for it man! You won't regret it. The Meister jug is sweet, and it's probably the easiest WWII bird there is to fly...quit torturing yourself and order the plans and a short kit...No Guts ~ No Glory!
Rob
Old 01-18-2005, 08:40 PM
p-47 razorback pilot
My Feedback: (5)

rob and mike are right, im building 2 of mikes meister p-47 razorbacks now, there huge... demand respect in the air, but not that hard to transport if you have access to a truck there awsome
Old 01-18-2005, 08:45 PM
seanucd2000

I do have a truck, but my field is only a mile away. I just set a plane in the back of the truck and cruise over there. I just bring the plane, radio, and fuel stuff. Oh, and a voltmeter too. If I break a prop, I just run back home. I don't even need to tie anything down in the back of the truck! It is great.

I can get the plans from Meister, but what about the short kit? Also, do I get those retracts from Meister as well, or is there another source? Is there any alternatives for engines I can select from as well? Lastly about servos: what do I need in there for those?

I would have to hang that beast from the top of the garage over my 67 mustang. Just hope it wouldn't fall down, as it would crush in the roof of the car!
Old 01-18-2005, 08:52 PM
CaptainHook
My Feedback: (80)

Mark,

Sierra most certainly makes a set of gear that will fit in the Meister Jug. You don't need those CJ's. It may require some small modifications, but well worth the effort. Talk to Darrell and see what he can do before you rule them out. Sean, that Jug in the earlier post is of a Yellow, with a G-45 for power. I sold it last spring. It just like all the Jugs flies very well. You guy's got me thinking of another Jug with all this talk, maybe it's time to get a hold of Dick and take that next step.
Old 01-18-2005, 09:09 PM
Katchmarek

Sean, I use HiTech servos
standard serrvos on the throttle and retracts
HS-625 MG's on the ailerons (at 6.0 Volt - 94.43 oz. in.)
HS805BB's on the flaps, elevator and rudder (at 6.0 Volt - 343 oz. in.)
Never had one fail yet and I've been using them for years.

If you're going the glass fuse route, whoever does the fuse should also provide at least a set of templates for the formers, then all you really need is the wood for the wing, and horizontal stabs and control surfaces. All the patterns will be on the plans. You can get a cockpit kit from Dick Bernier at Meister Scale, or I think Dynamic Balsa sells one too that will fit (way over priced in my opinion ).

As for the retracts, I know CJM has them, and if Carey says Sierra has them too, then he is probably correct. Engine, like I said earlier...I like the Quadra 75...but if you really want some power, a Brison 5.8 is a true beast! I had a 5.8 in one of my Nosen P-47's and that thing flew with authority...don't get me wrong, it wasn't a speed burner..but it would pull that 45 lb. airplane around just find and then some! Okay...the Q-75 will be fine...see what Carey and the others have to say.
Rob
Old 01-18-2005, 09:38 PM
CaptainHook
My Feedback: (80)

http://sierragiant.com/prod06.html They do have them in many sizes. As far as the Q-75, it should fly well, but if your looking for a rocket ship then look at the Q-100. What ever you choose for an engine, make sure it has some weight to it. Your going to need it for balancing.
Old 01-18-2005, 10:04 PM
Katchmarek

As for nose weight...I don't know about the glass fuse, but mine is built up and with a Quadra 75 up front I needed about 1 1/2 lbs. of nose weight in the engine box...that's not too awful bad.
Rob
Old 01-18-2005, 11:06 PM
zipnz1

sean, the p-47 in the pics is powered by a quadra 100 engine. i wanted the largest single cylinder engine i could find because i like the looks of a large diameter flying prop on a warbird. the engine flew the model with authority but was not over powered. a p-47 need all the useful weight you can get into the nose for balancing. it has a long tail movement and a short nose so you want to keep the tail as light as possible.
as far as the radio gear i also use hitec products. i used a seperate servo for each control surface. i like the new hitec digital servos so hs-5645mg would work well in the wing and i put 1/4 scale hs-705mg in the front of the fuse for the tail. one for the rudder and 2 for the elevator (one for each side).

i have made a few fuses for a people who have asked in the past, but like most of us i have a full time job to put food on the table that interferes with my hobby time so i don't advertise that i can make these parts. i am pretty busy with my own modeling projects. the fuse i make uses a material called aeromat which is a honeycomb type product. by using this product i don't use any formers except one to hold the gas tank floor for the tank.

mike

[img][/img]

Name:	Bz78329.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	21.6 KB
ID:	217318   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ea84149.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	32.8 KB
ID:	217319  
Old 01-19-2005, 08:01 PM
CGAV8R

You might take a look at the Jack Devine P-47. 80" wing span/G-62. A fairly quick build and comes out light for its size. www.rcscalebuilder.com

Name:	Zw69714.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	217680  
Old 01-19-2005, 10:33 PM
seanucd2000

The Meister beast is mighty tempting, and I ALMOST ordered the plans last night. The only thing holding me back is the 100"+ wingspan. I got used to the 92" size, but with a fuselage 8' long, I don't have a table big enough to build it on!

The Quadra series of engines is comparatively reasonable priced. Is there any way this plane would fly on a G62 like the big Ziroli? Or, not a chance?

Should I even be worrying about the size, I mean what is the difference between a 8 and 9 foot plane?!?
Old 01-19-2005, 11:16 PM
Katchmarek

Sean the difference in size is about 1 foot Dude, bigger is better, more impressive on the ground and in the air. Tell ya what, write all of the possible planes that you're considering on small peices of paper, fold each peice and put them in a can...close your eyes and pick one peice out of the can...that will be the airplane that you buy...youre just tormenting yourself here man. Just get the Meister and be done with it...you know if you get a smaller airplane that every time you go to the field, you're gonna wish you had gotten the Meister...it flies better...it's bigger...and go with the Quadra 100 M...and NO WHINNING about not liking magneto engines Seriously though, just about all Jugs fly good providing that they are built straight and not too heavy...you want an airplane that you can fly, not one that will fly you. You want the Meister!!! I'm giving up on you Sean...I've done my best to guide you in the right direction...obviously, you're one who refuses to learn from others ... stubborn, stubborn, stubborn ... what can I say
I don't want to hear you when you come home from the field crying because some kid said "Mommy...how come that man has such a little ... "
Rich men fly full scale ... but REAL MEN fly MEISTER SCALE !!!

Rob / Pickupsticks
Old 01-19-2005, 11:31 PM
seanucd2000

All right, I am ordering the plans then. Shall I get anything else with them? I have to finish a Goldberg Utimate, and my Lazy bee, then I will get started on this one. I expect to have it done by later this year. Shall I just wait to get the rest of the stuff (ie Cowl, Landing Gear, etc.) or is there something I should have as soon as I start building it? Such as a forest worth of balsa?

Thanks for all the help everyone.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.