Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Realistic Expectations to build a big P47...

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Realistic Expectations to build a big P47...

Old 01-20-2005, 12:44 AM
Katchmarek
My Feedback: (29)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Realistic Expectations to build a big P47...

Sean...If you're getting the glass fuse, you'll only need 1/2 of a forest of balsa If you do go the glass route, check with Mike as it looks like the cowl is there...so you'll probably only need the canopy. You can get the canopy from Meister, as well as the Quadra (if that's what engine you choose), also you should get your retracts as soon as you can. Also, again if you go glass, you will have to see who will sell you just a wing kit for the Meister Jug...I'm pretty sure that All American Kit Cutters and/or Precision Cut Kits will sell you the wing kit only. You can also check with Lazer Lizard on the wing. Again, as this is going to be your first big bird, you may not want to mess with any modifications such as those that may be required if you go with the Sierra Precision retracts...really the CJM stuff isn't as bad as many would have you believe...if they were that bad they wouldn't still be in business...plus the fact that they are several hundred $$ less than Sierra gear. Don't get me wrong, Sierra makes about the best gear in the business...just pricey...I only mention this because you said earlier that you would like to keep the cost down if possible.

Now, before you even start the thread (see I know the logical progression of these things ) I'll tell you what kind of pilot that you are going to buy! Pete's Pilot's from the UK are perfect for warbirds. NO they are'nt as ... how can I put this ... realistically detailed as an Aces of Iron, but they just look better in a WWII warbird for some reason. Trust me on this! Have I ever lied to you??? you can get them painted or unpainted...if you get unpainted, follow the painting guide on the Aces of Iron website! Man, some folks are probably going to hate me after this thread...but then, do I look like I care Aces of Iron are great pilots, but they don't have any full figure out yet, and in order to get a full figure pilot you have to graft their bust onto someone elses body...Hmmmm...that sounds a bit suspect don't it??? [8D] Okay, you can tell when I'm tired, I use too many of these darn smiley thingies.[X(]

Oh yeh...don't forget...go with the HiTech servos...save yourself enough money there to pay for 1/2 of the other stuff you'll need. I wouldn't recommend anything that I don't or haven't used my self. So with that being said....
G'night.
Old 01-20-2005, 07:50 AM
p-47 razorback pilot
My Feedback: (5)

dude, check with mike zipinz see if he will make you a fuse sometime i have 2 there great!!! all you have to build is the wing and tail sierra gear will not fit the meister wing due to it being a flat bottom, go with the large strut c-jets, long as you dont "bounce it in" there ok per ty brown, zipinz and rob MEISTER MEN ROCK" i 2nd that rob
Old 01-20-2005, 09:44 AM
zipnz1
My Feedback: (2)

Rich men fly full scale ... but REAL MEN fly MEISTER SCALE !!! - (very well said rob)
sean take robs advice, i agree with him 100%.
you can't go wrong with either a ziroli or meister jug, but in my experiences. when a meister jug runs down the runway it gets noticed and stands out - bigger is better.
while the meister jug is said to be able to fly with a g62 engine. in my eyes a quadra 100 and the meister jug is a match made in heaven.
sean if you do decide to do a meister and would like some glass parts just let me know. i dont mind doing a couple. i just dont want to lose too much of my precious building time doing fiberglass work.
because i like pics and have a lot, here is another one

mike

[img][/img]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Cz79806.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	17.4 KB
ID:	217980   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt63157.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	23.8 KB
ID:	217981  
Old 01-20-2005, 01:26 PM
Katchmarek

Sean, I agree with Mike about the engine choice...I have a Quadra 75 in my Jug, and in my previous one as well...I've had 2 Nosen P-47's one with a Quadra 75 and the other with the Brison 5.8. The Quadra 75 will fly them just fine, but a bit more umph woudn't hurt by any means, so I to would go with the Quadra 100 if I do another Jug. I just have so many 75's around the shop, I didn't want to have to buy a new engine for this last one. Also, I have heard from some folks that Mike's glass work is excellent, and it will save you some building time...ya still have to buy the plans though too!
Rob
Old 01-20-2005, 03:41 PM
MarkShapiro
My Feedback: (52)

Well Rob, you went ahead and did it! While you were trying to convince Sean to go with the Meister scale, you completely convinced me!! In fact, I have just left a PM for Mike to get with me on price, shipping, etc., in order to get my glass fuse from him. Now I'm pumped!!! Thanks. By the way Mike, your P-47's look fantastic. Can't wait to see the glass work up close. All the best. Mark.
Old 01-20-2005, 04:16 PM
seanucd2000
My Feedback: (1)

All right, the plans are on the way! Thanks for the offer on the glass fuse Mike. What would one of those run me? I am going to wait for the plans to come to see how much work will be involved in getting a fuse built. I am not in a particular hurry for completing it, but want a longer term project than I can build over time, but actually finish before I die. Hence, my reason for wanting to know some estimates of what is involved in building one of these beasts.

I am going to wait a while to purchase the engine and retracts. I just bought my first house, so lots (well, most) of my money has gone into that. The rest each month goes into my larger than average California mortgage!
Old 01-20-2005, 08:36 PM
zipnz1
My Feedback: (2)

sean, pm me and we can talk.

mike
Old 01-22-2005, 03:55 PM
seanucd2000

Well, it turns out my worries of a 200 foot runway were a little misjudged. I walked the runway this morning when I went flying, and it is 500 feet! Yipee!

Sure doesn't seem almost as long as 2 football fields, but it was 175 paces, and a club member confirmed it was 500 feet. No more complaints from me.

So, how much wood do I need to build one of these? For both the wing, stab, and fuse. Where does everyone usually get the wood also? I have seen an advertisement for Lone Star Balsa (or something like that). Would that be the best place, or is there somewhere better? I have always ordered my bits and pieces I need from Tower, but I imagine there would be a better solution.

If this bird weights 45 pounds, there has to be quite a bit of wood in there. I usually use CA and epoxy for all my kits. So it won't use 100 bucks worth of CA, would a good wood glue such as Titebond work well? I have heard it does, but just with slower results. Those polyurethane glues are fun, but I wouldn't use that for regular building. What does everyone else use for planes this size? Or, can I get CA is a gallon jug somewhere?

Thanks-
Sean
Old 01-22-2005, 05:19 PM
bosssman
My Feedback: (35)

ORIGINAL: seanucd2000

I would have to hang that beast from the top of the garage over my 67 mustang. Just hope it wouldn't fall down, as it would crush in the roof of the car!
when I read THAT, I nearly had heart failure!!! Do what I did - buld a two story barn out back, the bottom floor for the Mustang(s) and the top floor for your airplanes. Sure makes things a LOT easier!!!!

MY "OTHER" MUSTANG...

p.s. = I own 12 vintage Mustangs, thats the reason for the separate barn......[X(]

randy
Old 01-22-2005, 06:01 PM
Katchmarek

Sean & Mark, Way to go...you guys will not be disappointed with this airplane!
Sean, I use a combination of glues for my models. I use thin CA basically just for tacking purposes. Med. CA for most joining of ribs, formers, etc. Areas such as gear mounting plates motor boxes and the like I like to use a nice slow epoxy so that it has time to soak into the wood and gives a bond that I know that I can trust in those areas...I know most folks tell me that med. or thick CA is just as good, but maybe I'm just a bit old fashioned when it comes to some things...logical, probably not but hey, that's me. Titebond will work too, but I think it would slow down the build process quite a bit...and you'd better have a massive quantity of T pins handy!
As for balsa sources, well I usually use Lone Star Balsa, never had any problems with them so haven't really looked elsewhere. They're prices are good and their service is very good as well.
Rob / Pickupsticks
Old 01-22-2005, 06:56 PM
CaptainHook
My Feedback: (80)

Rob,

Don't forget to mention that Lonestar also has a great selection of different grades of wood too. They are my single source for all my wood. Sean, Meister lists the sizes and quantities of wood you will need to build the kit. They also tell you what sizes you will need for sheeting, ribs and bulkheads. It will take about 10 ounces of ca to build it. Lonestar can sell you that too. Glad to see you guy's took the plunge!
Old 01-22-2005, 07:11 PM
seanucd2000

10 ounces? Wow. That is like $30 worth. Oh well. I use about 3 to build an average 60 size kit. So, I guess 10 isn't so bad. That is good that the plans say what I need then. I was not looking forward to counting all of that.

Now, I don't think I need the super high grade light weight balsa. But, would it be a good idea to use a lighter weight in the tail section?

I am going to have so many questions building this thing. Hope you guys don't mind! I have to finish my goldberg ultimate bipe first, but will start wrenching on this one in probably a month or so. I can't wait!
Old 01-28-2005, 12:16 AM
seanucd2000

Well, the plans finally came in! And, plans they are! Wow, 6 huge sheets worth, plus some papers showing details photos of the real thing.

I am trying to find the best place to get started. I will order the wood fairly soon, and have decided for now to go with the wood fuse. Since some unexpected bills came in, I will cut out the parts myself. Granted it doesn't save much money, but since I am building this from plans in the first place, why not?!?

Would it be best to get a copy made, or perhaps trace the parts of the plans for all the cutout pieces? I would hate to cut up the original plans for this. I also plan to order extra wood, above and beyond what it states on the plans. I will just add it to my 'inventory' of balsa I am slowly building.

Any other advice on where to get started? I usually like building the stab and fins first, and it gets me warmed up and they are typically easier.

Thanks everyone!
Old 02-06-2005, 01:36 AM
Falcon XR

Mike,

Your glass fuse looks fantastic. Do you produce a bubble canopy version as well? Between Rob and yourself you make one hell of a good argument. Thanks Rob, now I can't stop that little voice in the back of my mind, you know the one!
Aarrggghhhh looks like it's time to build a bigger work bench........

Best regards

Falcon XR
Old 02-06-2005, 04:37 PM
seanucd2000

Falcon,

Are you starting one of these too? It would be nice to have someone to go though this with. It will take me a good amount of time to build it, but I am not in a hurry. I do want to make the razorback version though, as I just like that one better.

I am putting the linkages in a goldberg Ultimate Bipe now, and it will be flying within two weeks. After that, it is time to unroll those plans out and start ordering some wood. Lots of wood to be exact!
Old 10-23-2007, 05:06 AM
BoneDoc

So did you ever got it started? I'm so tempted to get one myself .
Old 10-23-2007, 12:08 PM
lovetoflyguy
My Feedback: (139)

Hey Sean,

PJ here with Meister Scale. Dino and I would love to help you out in any way possible. There is a link on RCU on my build thread that I did on the Meister P-47 that I built to compete in Top Gun. As far as previous discussions on the fact that the airframe is not really scale, Dino Sr. and Dino Jr. got a score of just under 95 static at Top Gun a few years back when Sr. was still with us. So.....doesn't seem too far off or at least in the eyes of Top Gun judges. Oh yeah, an Mr. Frank Tiano ordered one this past year.

We have a bunch of new products for this plane as well as a very nice, and light (unlike the heavier fuse mentioned two years ago by someone else). I flew the first prototype at Top Gun and it performs great with a Q100. I'll be happy to help you out an any way I can. We feel customer support is #1 and we'll be there for you if you need anything.

PJ
Old 10-23-2007, 08:56 PM
BoneDoc

Could you post a link to that build thread? Thanks!
Old 10-24-2007, 02:56 PM
MasterAlex

[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_5372214/mpage_1/key_/tm.htm]Meister P-47 to Top Gun or Bust[/link]
Old 10-24-2007, 09:02 PM
Rebel Flyer

Try this on for size...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw69213.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	789805   Click image for larger version

Name:	Of59785.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	91.3 KB
ID:	789806