Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Top Flight Corsair Help please

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Top Flight Corsair Help please

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2005, 01:14 PM
uf-engineer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Top Flight Corsair Help please

I'm just about finished with my corsair. I started in August of 1998. It's been an on-and-off again project. Anyway, I'm concerned about the finished weight of the aircraft. It’s the 60 size top flite corsair with retracts and flaps. I haven’t weighted the aircraft yet but I think it is going to be on the heavy side.

What is the acceptable weight range for this aircraft? The manual says 7-9.5 lbs. I think I may be around the 10 lbs. mark. I haven’t weighed the aircraft yet so I don’t know for sure.

What bad tendencies does this aircraft have with heavier weights? How effective are the flaps? Is there anything else I should be aware of??

Thanks for all your help
MC
Old 02-07-2005, 02:33 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts
Default RE: Top Flight Corsair Help please

Mine was close to 11 with a fabric finish, flaps, retracts, cockpit kit and paint. Flew just fine, just keep some power up on landing. Where in Jax do you fly?
Old 02-07-2005, 03:38 PM
uf-engineer

I mainly fly at the north side landfill or old landfill. It was horrible when it was still active. It’s over the Dames Point Bridge. I’ve also flown out by the JAX airport but haven’t been out there in years.

What engine where you using?
Old 02-07-2005, 07:56 PM
Doug D.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well MC my Corsair came in at just under 10 lbs and flies well. I powered mine with a MVVS .77. Great power!
Depending on how much deflection you are comfortable with the flaps are very effective.
Old 02-07-2005, 07:56 PM
daw
My Feedback: (6)

My Tf Corsair weighs in at 10 lbs 5 oz flies great on a OS 91 4-stroke. You'll love the plane. Fly it scale and remember it's a warbird not your sig.
Old 02-08-2005, 08:49 AM
CorsairJock
My Feedback: (90)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The weight of these (Top Flite Corsairs) varies widely, depending on how they are built. I have seen 12 lb ones fly well using Saito 1.20. At the other end of the spectrum, I keep mine under 9 lbs (with retracts and flaps) and use Saito .72 for power.

Naturally, lighter is better, especially on the landing gear, but the heavier ones do fly well when given enough power. I think "7 1/2 lbs" is pretty much unrealistic, unless the builder takes drastic measures to lighten it. 8 1/2 lbs is not all that un-common for a MonoKoted/ retracts and flaps equipped version. It's the 'glassed and painted ones that usually end up in the 11 lb + range, and they fly well nontheless.

Don't 'horse' it into the air; let it gather speed and 'fly' into the air. And leave lots or room for turns: these warbirds don't turn as sharp as sport planes do (due to heavier wing loading).

The flaps are great for 'spot' landings: they allow for a steeper yet controllable descent which allows you to land where you want to, rather than 'floating' down the runway.
Old 02-08-2005, 09:55 AM
BarracudaHockey

Super Tiger 90

The robo struts helped too. I fly out by the airport at Lannie Rd and there's a grass field out in Green Cove when I just want to go out for a hour or so. I've only been out to the dump once. People seemed nice enough but it's a little far for me to drive.
Old 02-09-2005, 10:11 PM
uf-engineer

Thanks
Old 02-10-2005, 11:38 AM
BarracudaHockey

No problem let us know how you make out with it.

Rappy pilot too eh? Right on.