Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

YS experts need help

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

YS experts need help

Old 03-05-2005, 10:55 AM
parkerspop
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default YS experts need help

I just got my first YS engine, a 120. I am installing it into a TF p47 1/7 scale. I have some questions that are perplexing me. First; according to the instructions when starting the engine I need to "remove tube B from the filter remove tube A from the check valve, then fill the tank. Pour several drops of fuel into the carburetor." This tells me that I may have a big problem starting the engine with the cowl on. Do I have any options?

Second: when hooking up the fuel lines I wanted to do three lines into my tank but the instructions are using only two With Ts off the lines for a filler line and a vent line. Does the vent line go to the muffler? Or does it just hang out the bottom? And the filler line, can I just bypass the T and run a third line into tank for fueling?

I am really lost on this one so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Old 03-05-2005, 11:09 AM
butlern
My Feedback: (15)

Default RE: YS experts need help

You should never have to remove any lines to start YS engines or fill the tank. There is no vent line to the muffler, YS engines have a pump that supplies pressure directly to the fuel tank.

You should post in the YS manufacterers discussion forum, and/or visit the YS performance website to learn how to properly plumb the engine and fuel tank. Be sure to also have a quality fuel tank like and MK or Tettra, as the YS engine generate a lot of pressure in the tank, and the stoppers provided with DuBro and Sullivan are often times inadequate (Leaks will develop and the engine will not run properly).

Post in the YS discussion forum here on RCUniverse and check out the YS website.

The YS 120 is a screamer and you will love the engine (once you come to understand how to tune and maintain it).

Good luck!

Old 03-05-2005, 11:12 AM
butlern
My Feedback: (15)

Here's the link to the YS discussion forum:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/YS_E...mid_197/tt.htm
Old 03-05-2005, 11:42 AM
Richard L.
My Feedback: (24)

Just use two lines and two T's. There is no need to disconnect any lines to fill the tank, and there is no need to put several drops of fuel into the carb.

Pay close attention when hooking up the lines. The engine will run like crap if the lines are hooked up the wrong way or if the check valve is in the wrong line/facing the wrong direction.

There is no pressure nipple on the muffler, so you couldn't attach a vent line to it if you wanted to. The fueling system is completely sealed to pressurize the tank. If a line is opened, then the tank can never be pressurized.
Old 03-05-2005, 12:43 PM
parkerspop

thanks for the help guys. I did post in the YS engine support area like you suggested and Dave Shadel helped out greatly. The pictures help out a lot Richard.
Old 03-05-2005, 12:47 PM
parkerspop

Richard,

After looking at your pictures I wanted to ask you if you have made any access holes to get to your needle valve. Or do you find that once set the YS doesn't need much, if any adjustments?
Old 03-05-2005, 12:50 PM
Richard L.

Once the low end on the YS is set, you should not need to touch it. Keep in mind that on the low end, lean = counter clockwise and rich = clockwise (air bleed). I do have an access hole for the high speed needle valve.
Old 03-05-2005, 02:06 PM
Shaun Evans

Hi,

You do have to undo lines to fill a YS tank. If the tank vent line stays attatched to the vent nipple, how will the air inside the tank purge while fueling?
Old 03-05-2005, 02:38 PM
parkerspop

Shaun

From what I have learned from this site when you fill the tank the vent line has T off it stopped by a fuel dot and when you fill up you just remove the dot. I hope I understand correctly
Old 03-05-2005, 07:26 PM
Richard L.

Yep, just remove both fuel dots (remove the one capping the pressure line first) before filling. Piece of cake.

Old 03-07-2005, 11:59 AM
docrob

ORIGINAL: Richard L.

Just use two lines and two T's. There is no need to disconnect any lines to fill the tank, and there is no need to put several drops of fuel into the carb.

Pay close attention when hooking up the lines. The engine will run like crap if the lines are hooked up the wrong way or if the check valve is in the wrong line/facing the wrong direction.

There is no pressure nipple on the muffler, so you couldn't attach a vent line to it if you wanted to. The fueling system is completely sealed to pressurize the tank. If a line is opened, then the tank can never be pressurized.
Dang, Richard, I can't understand how you keep your engines looking SOOO clean. You helped me tune my YS 63, remember? It's been running like a dream since then. Downside is the amount of residue it produces and I got tired of removing the cowl on my Decathlon every time to clean it up. Any ideas?
Old 03-07-2005, 12:01 PM
docrob

oops!!!! sorry about re-uploading the pictures folks!!!
Old 03-07-2005, 04:49 PM
steve51
My Feedback: (10)

I have a YS 120 in my TopFlite P-47. A PERFECT match for this airplane as far as power most of the time I fly it at 1/2 - 3/4 throttle and the engine is flawless, it is inverted and has no glow lighter and have never had a flameout or idle problem. I have a 16/6 prop on it and it is a great match. My starting procedure is as follows Fuel it, turn the prop 10 full turns to pressurize the tank, throttle to 1/4, hit it with the starter and it fires every time. Once the engine is warm it will start with 2 flips by hand.

You should have no problems with it and i did run a music wire extension throut the cowl for the needle valve so any fine tuning can be done.