Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Hangar 9 P-40 Warhawk

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Hangar 9 P-40 Warhawk

Old 03-20-2005, 01:48 PM
kmtranmd
My Feedback: (71)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hangar 9 P-40 Warhawk

Just got my P-40 in the mail. Finish is pretty good, no wrinkles. Plane was built very light, but probably because there's hardly enough glue in it. Hangar 9 still has not dealt with the use of undergluing in their ARFs. Firewall area needed quite a bit of epoxy since hot glue marks seemed inadequate. Elevator servo mount gave away with only slight pressure, so had to get hit with epoxy also. Now, I'm wondering how many other areas are underglued. I plan to hit CA's in all spots I can get access to. Will see how it holds up when I maiden in couple weeks. Will see how the rotating retracts hold up to landings.[:-]
Old 03-20-2005, 02:19 PM
topgun600
My Feedback: (41)

Default RE: Hangar 9 P-40 Warhawk

does the plane have split flaps or gear door for the strut cover and how are the decal sheet,what is it coverd in monokote,solartecks ???
Old 03-20-2005, 06:36 PM
LDM
My Feedback: (15)

From what I can see on the web , no split flaps , no gear undercarrage doors and no sclale counter-balances in the tail out line but what the hey its an ARF , for those featured you need to look at either a CMP plane or a more ex*****ve Yellow aircraft .

I holding onto my dollars until I see the CMP release of the P40
Old 03-20-2005, 09:37 PM
Cyclic Hardover
My Feedback: (3)

I took a look at my buddy's today. Thats one nice looking planes. "We" are installing a 24oz tank along with an inverted 90 FSRwhich he has a few of NIB!!!!!!!. Sorry but he is not parting with the others. I suggest beefing up the firewall as normal and removing the retracts and beef up the mounting rails and general area in their and it should be fine
Old 03-22-2005, 03:20 PM
kmtranmd

Stock tank is only 14oz so I widened the bulkhead a bit to take 20oz tank. I will have Saito 100 up front to pull this around. Waiting for new Futaba gear to arrive so will see how she balances. Plan to add epoxy to retract wells since it looks like only regular glue in there. Retracts are metal so it's a good start. Will see how they handle sport flyer landings from me. Stock hardware is junk as expected so will use 4-40 rods and ends all around. To answer Topgun, no split flaps. I can't tell what the covering is, not Solartex though. Will let you know about the decal sheet after I check it out. I'll let you know where I beef things up after I do some prelim balancing with all equipment on board. I don't want to get too carried away until I know where I can get away with extra weight here and there.
Old 03-23-2005, 08:06 PM
LDM

Does this plane exist ? if so can someone post pics for us poor depressed P40 lovers who have yet to see this kit live !!!! [&o]
Old 03-23-2005, 08:42 PM
timothy thompson
My Feedback: (1)

i just bought one they are real and look nice .not 100 scale elev. or gear but nice anyway build light so only need 5 channels no flaps required
Old 03-23-2005, 11:42 PM
nemesis4u
My Feedback: (77)

DONT FORGET TO GLUE AND REINFORCE THAT DARN FIREWALL AND TAIL GROUP>>>
Old 03-28-2005, 05:23 PM
MMcConville
My Feedback: (4)

The covering is Ultracote. BTW, there ios no hot glue used inm any Hangar 9 models. In response to another post, White (alphetic resin) glue is wta is used in some areas.
Old 03-28-2005, 09:55 PM
tigertooth
My Feedback: (1)

This past weekend I headed over to my friend's hobby shop to check out the P-40. I was very impressed the amount of quality with this ARF. The first thing you notice is what a great job they did covering the Warhawk. No, it is not scale colors but this is a stand off scale anyway. I couldn't find a wrinkle! The fiberglass cowling looks super with the decals (?) clear coated and painted. Unlike the older ARF's the colors do match! The turtle deck is foam as was the Kyosho P-40 which keeps the tail light. The wood in the fuse and retract area looked very clean. About the only thing they could have done better was add flaps. Has anyone flown one of these yet?
Old 03-29-2005, 03:30 AM
kmtranmd

I'm just about done with set up on my new H9 P40. Will try to take some decent pics and post them tomorrow. Waiting for the Oregon rain to stop so I can fly the bird. In fact, I'm waiting to maiden my Kangke F20 too. Forecast is not too good for another week. [:-]
Old 03-29-2005, 06:42 AM
Capt G
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is as far as I've got so far. Ys 91.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec89093.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	132.4 KB
ID:	251018  
Old 04-01-2005, 01:21 AM
kmtranmd

Attached are pics of my warhawk. Exposed nose to show my solution to adding 1.5 oz weight to nose to help get my lightweight Saito 100 to bring the nose down. Also had to put 1000mAh nicad under the tank. The nose area does not have any ply support so I decided to fiberglass all around. The cowl can cover the glass area nicely. Bird is now ready to fly at 8 lbs and 3 oz. Should fly like bat out of hell with this weight and Saito 100 swinging APC 14x8 prop.[:-]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig12087.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	252152   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql34264.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	252153   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jo30576.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	252154  
Old 04-01-2005, 08:57 AM
Don ky

great pics. i just finished mine and i'm aslo using the satio 100 my question is on your balance did you balance at 3" off the leading edge with the wheels retracted in? that is the way i done mine and it was more tail heavy than yours . thanks
Old 04-01-2005, 11:00 AM
seanychen

Hey Capt. G,

I am about ready to start mine. I plan to put a YS 110 in there, swinging the same prop Graupner 14x7 3-blade. I am picking up a Prospin 3.5" 3-blade alum. Spinner @ Toledo this weekend, and that thing is gonna be a slug. I have a few questions:

1) How does your plane balance w/ the YS 91? I wonder if my heavy spinner will make it too nose heavy. I am somewhat relieved to see that Saito 100 will require nose weight to balance. Sorry kmtranmd...

2) Have you ever run your YS 91 w/ the Graupner 14x7 3-blade prop? What RPM does it peak at? I am guessing the YS 110 will do 9500 rpm on this prop.

3) Does the stock muffler exit nicely out the bottom? I know the manifold angles backwards a little, but is the cowl bottom wide enough to prevent lateral protrusion of the stock muffler? Not sure if I have to shorten the manifold... Underhood pics would be nice.

Thanks.
Old 04-01-2005, 12:25 PM
fw190
My Feedback: (37)

I have a Hanger 9 60 P51 ARF and I see no signs of it getting unglued, wirewall is okay I use a .91 2 stroke and use the landing gears that came with it and have over 40 flights on it. Is this true of all Hanger 9 ARFs that they are not glued properly?
Old 04-01-2005, 01:51 PM
Bama
My Feedback: (18)

fw190,
You don't have anything to worry about. We have about 20 of the Hangar 9 warbirds flying at our field and nobody has had any failures of any kind. They are all built stock with no reinforcements. I have the P-40 waiting in line in my shop and it will be built stock just like all the others.

A lot of what you read here is people repeating what they have read here, or just jumping on the bandwagon with some of the more "popular" members, and have no actual experience with this happening. I have come to find that a lot of the information here is just plain false. There is a lot of great information and help here also. It's just like anything else, you have to decide who you are going to believe. And of course you should believe me, because my opinion is right.

This is not to say that failures haven't happened, but you read very few first hand accounts of this. I can only remember a few posts with pictures of damage. Even when there are failures, how do we know that they were assembled correctly?

One more note: Post count does not equal knowledge or experience. (I say that becuse mine is low, post count that is)

No offense is meant to anyone here, these are just my opinions.
Alan
Old 04-01-2005, 02:02 PM
kmtranmd

The P-40 is my first H9 ARF so I did the glass as insurance and needed to add some weight in the nose anyway. But H9 ARFs are famous for undergluing from what I read in RCU forums. So far, I find that Kangke and Sportsman Aviation ARFs are best built in terms of wood quality and glue joints. Regarding the P-40, I balanced the bird at 3" from leading edge with gear folded up per instructions. Hope the instructions are good. Will maiden when the Oregon rain can stop for a weekend. The stock mount allows you to slide the motor back and forth quite a distance for different engine applications. So, you may have to slide yours back more than instructions suggest. The P-40 cowl is pretty big, but not that wide. My Saito 100 muffler header sticks out of cowl about 1/2".[:-] My Saito muffler sticks out like ass, but it gives scale sound so I don't want to mess with it. Besides, this plane is sport scale, not look real scale anyway.
Old 04-01-2005, 05:09 PM
Capt G
My Feedback: (8)

Seanychen - sorry this isn't going to help much. I don't have the plane far enough along for any kind of balance check yet. I also have not used the 14x7 before but this engine has a lot of time with an APC 13.5x9 on a H-9 P-51 and it was very fast - so I don't think there will be a problem. I am using a "twister" muffler from Central Hobbies - I don't know if the stock one will fit. G.
Old 04-01-2005, 05:18 PM
LDM

That P40 looks really good , I have had hesitations based on the H9 ads on this plane but from that angle the plane looks really cool.
I think you probably can get the muffler inside the cowl with aftermarket "right " bend attachments to turn the muffler down and they possible run an extension (if there is room ) or simply exit the bottom. MAC makes those nifty turn attachmnets for a variety of engines
Old 04-01-2005, 08:07 PM
kmtranmd

In response to Bama, I can tell you my story regarding H9 ARFs. My flying buddy bought the Funtana 90 and saw the bird's wings folded up in half on maiden flight. He inspected the crashed bird and saw lack of reinforcement at the spar. This guy has 15 years kit building experience, better than me, so I think he knows what he's talking about when he said it was poorly glued together. He complained to H9 and got full credit. He then bought this P-40 and traded it to me for Sportsman Aviation Excelleron 90. I will let you know if this bird structure is sound or not. I did hit it heavily with CA glue throughout the fuselage so that should be ok. The wings are covered up so will be the only questionable part. Time will tell...[:-]
Old 04-01-2005, 09:42 PM
LDM

Km , I dont want to take sides , because we should help each other and not be so critical , but I agree with you based on my H9 corsiar . Light glue all over , firewall 100% needed reinforcement , so did wings under retracts .

I suggest (to all) that as opposed to taking a your right he is wrong attitude , consider this site as a " here is what I did and why ", it will open your eyes and minds to saving your plane .Lose the egos , gain the insight of others and you will be very happy in the end .
Old 04-01-2005, 11:57 PM
seanychen

Other than profiles and tri-gear models, out of like 15 ARF's I've built in the past 3 years, only the following don't have the landing gear rip apart:

Kyosho Flip
Dave Patrick Ultimate

I can say that these 2 are good design and enough glue is used. All the rest including Hangar 9, Great Planes, I know that I have to re-inforce the landing gear structure, but I am the type who lets a bad landing necessitate a repair.

I have ripped landing gear out of:
H9 Funtana 40
Kangke Cap 120
GP UCD3D 60
Creek Hobbies Staudacher 120
CMP Zero 120

While H9 will hold up to nice landing on paved runway, it's not exactly "trail rated".
Old 04-02-2005, 01:25 AM
optech
My Feedback: (9)

Wow.........[X(]! You must be hard on planes. I pounded the bejeezus out of my Creek Staudacher and the gear have held just fine. I was actually pleasantly surprised they've held so well.

Mike
Old 04-02-2005, 03:00 AM
smitty9969
My Feedback: (7)

In another responce to Bama,
Here's a first hand account of my H9 Corsair.. Coming out of a loop and wing folded at the bend. And yes, I had throttled back at the top. Now in defence of H9, I was using a Magnum 120 to pull it around so I can't totally blame them for the failure. But my suggestion, and again its only a suggestion, is better safe than sorry. The precautionary mods will not take that long to complete and you may never need them; but the question is, how will you feel if your plane was one of ones that did.....

Smitty

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.