Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Question about TF P-47 wing sheeting

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Question about TF P-47 wing sheeting

Old 05-16-2005, 03:42 PM
Connery

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about TF P-47 wing sheeting

OK, I have a question for those of you that have built the TF P-47, specifically the smaller one, but the giant scale is probably sheeted the same way. When I built the two wing halves, I made very sure that the angle of rib W1 was exact all along the entire length of the rib using the dihedral guide. When I joined the two halves, both W1 ribs contacted each other completely and lined up perfectly with the dihedral braces when they were installed. When I attached the wing tip jigs and leading and trailing edge jigs to sheet the upper surface, I ran into a problem. The trailing edge jig, and the leading edge jigs in the center of the wing were about 3/4" of an inch off the surface. I pushed the center of the wing down until it contacted the surface, but I don't know if that will put too much stress on the wing sheeting. Any thoughts? Anyone else run across this issue?
Old 05-16-2005, 10:19 PM
F4u5
My Feedback: (81)

Default RE: Question about TF P-47 wing sheeting

Not sure if this is the same issue, but Frank tiano had an article in RC Report last summer that the Top Flite Jug had a hump in the middle of the wing from root to tip. Is this what you have? I understand it is typical on the 1/5 scale, but does not present a problem. Not sure if the 60 size has the same thing, but this post may trigger some discussion from the article.
Old 05-22-2005, 11:50 AM
parkerspop
My Feedback: (1)

I had just the opposite problem when building my P47. The center jigs touched the surface but the wing tip jigs did not. So I seem to have a little too much dihedral and you have too little. I was told if it's not off a lot it shouldn't have very much effect on flight characteristics. I would assume yours will be a little more aggressive, while mine more like a trainer. I would think that I would rather go with the natural shape of the wing than to force it into position and hope the sheeting will hold it through what will hopefully be hundreds of manuevers.
Old 05-22-2005, 05:47 PM
Connery

Well, the wing jigs are supposed to align the wings to have the proper washout, so I clamped mine into position and sheeted it with all the jigs touching like it calls for. When I got both sides of the upper wing sheeted and removed the clamps, it barely moved so I was happy. Since the entire plane will be glassed, it should be plenty strong.