Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Corsair buffs and historic hunters........

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Corsair buffs and historic hunters........

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2005, 09:16 PM
D Bronk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Corsair buffs and historic hunters........

I just put those cockpits up, so folks can use it however they, WANT to .It`s up to the builder ultimately..Personally I like to see a person give a little effort ,even if it`s not full blown, to scale,job.. It doesn`t take much to make an improvement, overwhat T.F.produces.Anything is better .Personaly for lights I like the LED stuff.Very low voltage use, withstands vibration and you can get up to,100,000 hrs, out of them ...Take a peak at my "FRANKENSTIEN" in "Corsair 1:8+1:5 If I only knew" thread..Not quite done with it,but for a dash...Well, I`ll just make a small video, and set it in there tommorrow..I`ll put some ideas and links in there for you too.It`s easier to show, than tell..I`ll P.m.you once I got it up.The thing with incandesent is that they are prone to blow (burn-out) with the vibration a model puts out..You can make something, much better than,what ram sells ,and for less $$$$ too.
Old 10-24-2005, 12:05 AM
wulf190
My Feedback: (19)

I looked over some LED's today in the hobby store and wondered what best to use as I wanted them to be bright enough to be noticed, but not so bright that it looks like daylight in there. Then I wasn't sure how much battery power I would need for it, so I thought I would save it until I asked here on the thread.

I would like to use a simple 4 cell AA battery holder hooked up to a switch mounted underneath a hatch where the fuel tank lid is located. But I'm not sure if this would give me enough voltage to power the LED's. What do you recommend here. Seems like a pretty simple setup. The train department has a ton of the different lights and resistors.

My Dynamic Balsa FW 190 cockpit puts this kit to shame. I'm finding a pretty good amount of extra to do on it, but I think I can get it respectable looking when it's done. It seems strange that the company would take the time to make a mold for the kit but wouldn't take the time to get it a little closer to being right, but I shouldn't complain as we know it's not going to make your plane a contest champion. I had no illusions about what it was, kind of welcomed the challenge to make it a nice part of the plane.
Old 10-24-2005, 05:24 AM
dragoonpvw
My Feedback: (7)

Hi Dave (Dbronk)
I have had my Byron corsair on hold for a little while so I have not been checking this thread for a while. I am moving on it again now, just about to do the panel lines and rivets etc. so thought I would see what was going on. I was a bit surprised in post 280 when you state that
SHEPPARD was the only FAA pilot to gain Ace status,,all his kills were done in CORSAIRS...
. There were many Fleet Air Arm aces with Stan Orr being the top. I am doing Ronnie Hays plane who was also an ace who flew corsairs, Shephard was the only one who got all his kills in a corsair though, that could be where the mix up was.

http://www.fleetairarmarchive.net/Ro...ces_index.html

Good Luck
Paul
Old 10-24-2005, 07:27 AM
D Bronk

Thanks for bringing that to my attention Paul..I made a wording error there .I think I made the post more understandable now..Maybe you would like to do a post, about Ronnie Hays
Old 10-24-2005, 02:49 PM
wulf190

Dave, thanks to you, here's my new cockpit lighting system. I played around with some different resistors and colors of LED's. I'm using 2AA batteries in the case with a micro toggle switch all from radio shack. I used some extra servo wire and have a bunch of stuff left over too. I think it was maybe fifteen bucks for all the stuff and I've got enough LED's for several more applications now. I burned out a few in the process, but once I got the resistor on the AA's things worked out well. I had to kind of play with different combos and strengths to get the right strength, and I liked the look of the yellow LED's better than the white ones in the dark, thought the spotlight effect was better.

I put the lenses in a little piece of 1/4" aluminum tubing and the effect is awesome. You're the best. Thanks for the layout!!

Mike
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay76031.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	343435  
Old 10-25-2005, 12:42 AM
D Bronk

..I`m sorry I didn`t get back in here, earlier today. I wanted to head you off ,on the trial. and error thing .I Blew leds like there was no tommorow.But I found a calculator , that will do all the math for you,and it figures out the resistors for you, and would of save a few of those diodes..But It`s kind of neat to see what those little guys can take before the fry..I`ve nearly got my whole plane lit up all the exterior at this point, except for, 2 formation lights under the wing.MY proto- type is running on 4 double As (AA) batteries,some of my bulbs are flashing, some stay light, full time..On the battery set-up, I`ve got now ,I checked to see how long they would keep working,on a set of new batteries..It took 4 days before they got dim..I`m going to use a 9 volt(common)transistor radio battery,to save weight, and size..I was going to make a short video, for you,last night but my batteries are dead ..Got new ones today so I`ll do it tonight,and I`ll show you "FRANKENSTIEN"...[>:]..

.I`m glad you got it figured out though.. Dave
Old 10-25-2005, 06:13 AM
Harpoon

In preparation for my flying Corsairs I have build a Guillows Corsair as a testbed for Corsair scale lighting. On this airplane I have used 3mm LEDs on the larger bird 5mm LEDs should do the job. A simple blinking LED kit is included in the layout to make functional ID lights.

It’s important to include resistors in the layout so you don’t blow the LEDs. It can be a little difficult to calculate precisely since the requirements on the blue and white ones differs a lot from ordinary red and greens. A little tweaking will be necessary to get the brightness you want.

The formula used is: Ohm = ((V – Vf) / mA) * 1000

Ohm = Required resistor size
V = Voltage supply
Vf = LED required voltage
mA = LED required ampere

Example: 5mm Blue LED 260 Ohm = ( ( 9 – 3,8 ) / 20 )* 1000

Cheers
Anders

PS The 9Volt battery does not supply enough juice to light all effects at the same time.

Name:	Da83343.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	343810   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av67890.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	343811   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ot48481.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	30.4 KB
ID:	343812   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bu58981.jpg
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	343813  
Old 10-25-2005, 07:58 AM
D Bronk

LED LIGHTS for an F4U-5. It`s still in the making ...BUT, gives the general idea....[8D]

http://media.putfile.com/FRANKENSTIEN62

If you Guys want to continue this topic.Lets continue in "Top Flight CORSAIR 1:5+1;8 scale ,if I only knew thread".It`s more of a take it, or leave it, ideas sharing,and improvement type,thread...for this kind of stuff .........DAVE B.
Old 10-25-2005, 08:45 AM
Mike Denest
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Let's see now........I have the Royal Corsair kit, that's half the battle. Now I have to add Dion's cockpit (got one of them too), tailwheel strut and retract ideas. Now I'll have to add lights. If someone comes up with a wing fold mechanism and remote canopy I'm dead [sm=bananahead.gif] [:@]. Oh yeah, I want to use electric power [sm=greedy.gif]. Please guys, don't get any ideas for a 1/8 scale USS Bunker Hill to fly your Corsair from!!![X(]
Old 10-25-2005, 09:29 AM
CorsairJock
My Feedback: (90)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: Mike Denest
............... Please guys, don't get any ideas for a 1/8 scale USS Bunker Hill to fly your Corsair from!!![X(]
That's an idea I've been toying around with for about 10 years now. I was thinking of converting a long (28ft) pontoon boat (party barge) into an aircraft carrier suitable for R/C planes. I went so far as to experiment by attempting to land my .28 powered profile Wildcat consistantly within a painted off area (grass runway) 12 ft wide by 40 ft long. It turned out to be much more difficult than I expected. While I could either land at the edge of the 'deck', OR land with a heading parallel to the deck, it was most difficult to accomplish both. In other words: when I touched down at the ideal spot, my heading was off and it would have veered off the 'deck'.

That was about 7 years ago. Things have changed now, and smaller electric powered planes most certainly make this dream a practical one one. As an example, I am able to consistantly land a brushless motor/ Li-Po battery powered GWS Steaman in a VERY small area, with correct heading . How small? How about 5 ft x 20 ft on land. Now imagine a pontoon boat with plywood landing deck, traveling about 5 mph, and the landings become shorter yet. And as for takeoff, this plane only needs about 5 ft of runway, then can transistion to vertical.

OK, so it won't be 1/8 scale, but I DO intend to someday buy a used pontoon boat (no longer needs to be a very long one), power it with a trolling motor, and be capable of having several 1/12 ~ 1/16 scale warbirds take off and land on it's deck. As I have a pond on my property in Kentucky which is big enough to handle this boat, I intend to name it after a city in Kentucky: I'll christen it "Little Lex".
Old 10-25-2005, 09:43 AM
D Bronk

ORIGINAL: Mike Denest

Let's see now........I have the Royal Corsair kit, that's half the battle. Now I have to add Dion's cockpit (got one of them too), tailwheel strut and retract ideas. Now I'll have to add lights. If someone comes up with a wing fold mechanism and remote canopy I'm dead [sm=bananahead.gif] [:@]. Oh yeah, I want to use electric power [sm=greedy.gif]. Please guys, don't get any ideas for a 1/8 scale USS Bunker Hill to fly your Corsair from!!![X(]

LOL How about an R/C car with REFRIDGERATOR BOX mounted on it.Get a buddy to drive it around as you try to land on itMOST wings will fold................On IMPACT
Old 10-25-2005, 09:44 AM
Mike Denest
My Feedback: (1)

Dave,
Doc Brooke did that back in the sixties on a similar converted vessel. It was covered in an issue of Model Airplane News. He successfully completed several flights with a Corsair on and off the flight deck while under way. I don't recall the details at the moment, I'll have to go to the dungeon and instruct Igor to pull the issue.
Old 10-25-2005, 09:53 AM
D Bronk

CJ you need a catch wire ,and Tail hook..Make the wire from a bungee cord, that way if you hook, but not quite right ,It`ll put you back in the air.You could very well be the first guy to prove that planes could have reverse...DO you guys` get the TV show RED GREEN comedy???His solution would be DUCT TAPEING 2 canoes together with some ply-wood taped to that LOL ...I f you miss the deck, the corsairs are supposed to plane on water pretty good too.Got to go to the Doc`s again wonbder what he`s going to tekll me this time
Old 10-25-2005, 10:00 AM
D Bronk

IGOR, bring me ,,,,,, FRANKENSTEIN!!!!! MUHAHAHAHAA..
Old 10-25-2005, 10:12 AM
wulf190

Dave, Really can't thank you for the idea enough here, with a great thread. Maybe I got a little lucky with the resistor choices. It was the first one I tried. It came with the LED's. I think I used 3 volt LED's with the 2 1.5 volt AA batteries on this one. I had such great success with it, that I'm going to do the full monty like you. I'll go with the 4 battery setup like you and do the same with the flashing beacons and stuff. Seems like the LED's are easy to get. It only took me about an hour to put the thing together. I'll have to come up with a nice way to get myself a switch and jack panel somewhere.
Old 10-25-2005, 10:51 PM
D Bronk

HI Wulf Thanks for the Thanks..I found the Train store a good source for some LEDs..I thing Dion mentioned he shops there sometimes too..THEY had a bag of resistors, and,a variety ,of colored LEDs ,and they were cheaper than the, RADIO shack stuff.All though there was a few colors, that I got from R/S, that were the best yet.Ive got some Led stuff that you might like seeing but lets take the topic here please.It` more suitable

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_31...e_1key_/tm.htm

Please take a peek here ,and I`ll be back in Rcu ,tomorrow.I need to get some facts out, for Dion.HE`s been patiently waiting

P.S, go with a 9 volt battery(recharge or toss type) .NOT,,,, 4xAAs=6 volt..
Old 10-30-2005, 08:01 PM
Rocketman612
My Feedback: (85)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Ok here's the update on Dion's Bomb test.

Bothe released well and had a nice dive going an easy 100 feet after release.

Here's the photo[X(]

Will post some of Dion's Royal Corsair. It's even nicer in person. Still can't believe how light the wing with retracts are compaired to my TF wing.

Oh and yes the RCV 90 problem is solved. BAF FUEL[:@] Used Cool Power 15% with excellent results.

Pete

Name:	Lj22709.jpg
Size:	13.6 KB
ID:	346228   Click image for larger version

Name:	Us54553.jpg
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	346229   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf12832.jpg
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	346230   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ye84514.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	346231   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ng10309.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	103.6 KB
ID:	346232   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oa32100.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	346233   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ev24487.jpg
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	346234   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tw41048.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	13.6 KB
ID:	346235  

Old 10-30-2005, 08:28 PM
D Bronk

RIGHT ON PETE!!! You can tell, that Dion ,sure has some LOVE`N, into that plane, REAL nice!!! Those bombs look good falling in a pair like that too...Haven`t been able to do much in here lately,maybe in a Couple days again...Hey!!! Where`s my video ????
Old 10-30-2005, 09:57 PM
Rocketman612

D Bronk,

Dion is going to post the video. The flight was great. Just another beautyful fall day in Alabama.

Pete
Old 10-30-2005, 10:37 PM
D Bronk

I`m GLAD, you got you`re engine smartened up PETE. I knew it had to be something stupidly simple..IT`s a great feeling, when everything comes together, and goes how it`s supposed too .Isn`t it
Old 11-01-2005, 09:01 PM
Rocketman612

Deleted. Not able to link the Corsair Video
Pete
Old 11-02-2005, 11:46 AM
wulf190

That's a beautiful Corsair [sm=thumbup.gif][sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 11-12-2005, 11:52 AM
CorsairJock
My Feedback: (90)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yesterday (11/11/2005) I picked up the December issue of Flight Journal. It must have been the picture of Marine's Dream (current flying FG-1D, NOT the original F4U-1) on the cover that caught my eye.

Anyway, this is a VERY enlightening issue, with info and pics of Charles Lindberg, and his experimnets with field modified F4U-1As. A total of 3 bomb racks were installed: centerline and 2 in the area that later versions would have the pylons factory mounted. The story goes on to give account of a combat mission in which Lindberg's Corsair carried (1) 2000 lb and (2) 1000 lb bombs. Mention was also made of 1,650 lb depth charges being carried on these field installed wing pylons.

The article also mentions the use of the front landing gear doors as speed brakes, and that they were designed to deploy at any speed.

If that ain't enough (and it sure SHOULD be), there are other Corsair and USN WW II carrier operations articles also.

I suggest that any and all true Corsair buffs locate and purchase a copy of this issue. The one I purchased was from my LHS.

I did Google search (for those of you that are Google challenged/ don't know how to search) and found this web-site:

http://www.flightjournal.com/

Now if I could just find a copy of December issue of Flying Models, which has 2005 Mid America Electric Fly-In coverage and a pic of my electric powered H-9 Corsair.
Old 11-12-2005, 02:51 PM
D Bronk

YES Ol` CHUCK was the Founder of the BOMB droping devices I`ve got some facts and figures that I`m trying to get straightened out for Dion..I just can`t cope, with it right now ..SORRY[]..MY susbscription should be in the mail soon(waiting).SORRY to everyone that I`ve not been working in here lately. I`m not feeling well ,and I can`t concentrate ,on the topics right now ..I,VE got an operation in the first week of DECEMBER, and IT`S got me a little down/ worried.So after that, I`m hoping to be able to be a little more useful around here again..WE`ll see DAVE B.
Old 11-12-2005, 02:59 PM
dionysusbacchus
My Feedback: (25)

[link=http://zollnermodels.com/Video/Pete%20Corsair%20Cut.wmv]CLICK HERE to see Pete and his TF Corsair![/link]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.