Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Corsair buffs and historic hunters........

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Corsair buffs and historic hunters........

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2005, 09:37 AM
D Bronk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Corsair buffs and historic hunters........

MARINES DREAM BuNO02576 of VMF-222 @ TOROKINA( bougainville DECEMBER 1943 flown by MAJOR GORDON ....COMMANDER of "FLYING DUECES" operating over RABAUL at that time ADDED;MARINEs DREAM last landing.. added more D.B.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec89093.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	318778   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk31601.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	146.0 KB
ID:	318779   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh15214.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	318780   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay75928.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	318781   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xt59811.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	28.4 KB
ID:	318782  
Old 09-02-2005, 10:27 AM
D Bronk

F4U-1 fought in GUADALACANAL JULY 17 1943 Lt. GARRISON died flying his corsair "white"# 20

Added this:: note on the top view. Only one side seems to have art on the cowl..this needs to be investigated further

Name:	Pn36671.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	318788   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je98492.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	318789   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tz66811.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	318790  
Old 09-02-2005, 12:18 PM
dionysusbacchus
My Feedback: (25)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice work! Funny how far back the insignia is on those older Corsairs, looks funny.

Corsairjock, you printing the decals? I'm going to work with those pictures and clean them up a bit.

Dion
Old 09-02-2005, 01:45 PM
CorsairJock
My Feedback: (90)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes, I will be printing them but not soon. Still flying season here, wait until November.
I have seen several different color plates of Marine's Dream, and notice they are not all alike. One of them even has undergarments red (instead of more widely accepted white), but there are variations of national markings (one has wing underside emblem without bars) and application of 2 tone color scheme as well (some have underside of outer wings in same shade at top (blue gray), others have same shade as bottom (light gray)).

Name:	Mj24652.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	33.0 KB
ID:	318835   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av67437.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	318836   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn35917.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	24.1 KB
ID:	318837  
Old 09-02-2005, 02:37 PM
D Bronk

ORIGINAL: CorsairJock

Yes, I will be printing them but not soon. Still flying season here, wait until November.
I have seen several different color plates of Marine's Dream, and notice they are not all alike. One of them even has undergarments red (instead of more widely accepted white), but there are variations of national markings (one has wing underside emblem without bars) and application of 2 tone color scheme as well (some have underside of outer wings in same shade at top (blue gray), others have same shade as bottom (light gray)).
YOU KNOW THESE planes were up dated in the field as authorized by defence department the red around the insignia for one.AND possibley a touch up on the nose art at the same time.I`m not sure but maybe the ground crew thought she needed to change her underware--when they painted the outline on the insignia..I think a lot of these differences could be correct , It`s depending on the date of the picture taken(updates) I`ve seen photos of the same plane, taken at different times,.... 1 of the pics had 2 diamond tread tires ,the other 1(same plane) had 1 rib tread, and 1 diamond tread.I think best bet is to get the photo of the era your depicting ,and go that route(it`s your proof).I seen Dion offered to clean up the image too .HE`s welcome to do it I would just like him to put a copy in here as well, for anyone to use ..I`ll do the same .I`ll continue to work on this topic, but I`ll mix up the eras a bit to keep things intresting for every one..on the U-1 topic I`ve got some other art and photos that you may prefer even more.I myself prefer to be as different from the next guy, and be accurate too.Before I go further, I want to repair the images above the MARINES DREAM because I ,got, .NEW ,,,TECHNOLOGY , to PLAY with.. I`m sure every one can see the difference..EVERYBODY keep an EYE open and I`ll be adding here, as I have time..I`ve spread myself out a bit much..I need to install my retracts to show a fellow how I`m doing it so he can copy what I`ve done ,or improve on it(another thread, I`ve got going). It`s just that I`m going to start from scratch right from making the strut cover, so I can post pics. Again for whoever, wants to use ,or improve on my idea(more than 1 way to skin a cat)..If any one wants to share art that they have e mail me and we can do a good clean up and put it here too... nice to have these sort of things in 1 place .I`ve got countless hours searching all over for this stuff(eats up alot of time)...DAVE B.
Old 09-02-2005, 03:10 PM
D Bronk

HERE is a preview of upcoming stuff, for the future .These are not quite ready for use, but gives an idea To TAZ which file???

Name:	Fd90739.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	318843   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hd94942.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	318844   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pu52044.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	318845  
Old 09-02-2005, 04:00 PM
dionysusbacchus

I have not seen an RC Corsair with the proper birdcage canopy and the nose art of Marines Dream, that could change though! I have never seen a picture of the full scale wartime Marines Dream, there must be one?!

Nice art you got there, now we need to see what plane it was on!

Thanks for the info!

Dion

Old 09-02-2005, 05:12 PM
CorsairJock

ORIGINAL: dionysusbacchus

I have never seen a picture of the full scale wartime Marines Dream, there must be one?!

Nice art you got there, now we need to see what plane it was on!

Thanks for the info!

Dion

I have a few, but they are all B&W, and difficult to determine details.
"Corsair Aces pf World War 2" has one after it nosed over on landing. page 52.
Old 09-02-2005, 06:56 PM
D Bronk

Color shots in WWII is real rare,I`ll look around and see what I`ve got( M..dream) ..I want to put a pic with each description as the art gets put in here,,nothing going to happen to quick in here for awhile,,just when ever I`ve got a chance .THERE HAS to be a good pic some where ..
Old 09-02-2005, 08:30 PM
dionysusbacchus

Dave, that'll be great. Thanks for posting that picture of Marines Dream. That looks like more than a nose over, looks like the end of that plane! I think the colors you posted next to it are the most accurate, the only problem is that Marines Dream looks like it had the light paint on the fin and rudder. You can see the side color change in the picture under the fuel tank tape, it matches the color drawing you have perfectly. So in one of CorsairJocks pictures it has the tail color right, but for the most part they don't look as accurate.

Dion

Name:	Xv64144.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	142.2 KB
ID:	318952  
Old 09-02-2005, 08:45 PM
CorsairJock

My scanner doesn't work otherwise I would post another 3 view (actually 4 view) of Marines Dream. This one is in a very old Squadron/ Signal "Fighting Colors F4U-CORSAIR in Color", #6503. On page 9, it shows Marine's Dream with light gray fin and rudder, white undergarments, and all light gray underside. ALL national emblems have white bar but no blue surrounding the bar. Blue/ gray upper color is lighter, appears to be more correct than the other 3 view I posted.
Old 09-02-2005, 09:47 PM
D Bronk

If you guy`s have better , .or ,you get your scanner going C.J., I`ll post the "best" of the best, because,"better" is better.( we can change it).. THERE HAS TO be MORE ,how many PHOTOGRAPHERS would take only 1 picture at a landing like that.I know I wouldn`t be able to take only 1 ..I wouldn`t be able to resist the urge to take any less than 4..BUT it`s possible film may have been hard to come by,unless you were taking pics with a GUN CAMERA . I really don`t know DAVE B.
Old 09-03-2005, 09:41 PM
D Bronk

THIS is a F4U-1A, BuNo49850 of VMF-217 "C" squadron,operating off GUAM ,AUGUST 1944 ;

nose art,,,script "BAYOU BABY,,,and #850 in yellow paint.

nose art is circle, with breaks in the line ,to depict a gun sight ..Character in the center of circle is Warner BROS. character WILEY CAYOTE,. The colored cartoon is sitting on a bomb (TNT written on it) in the corner of a boxing ring,ammunition belt over shoulder,pilot helmet and goggles on head,,,, also wearing boxing gloves..

BAYOU BABY is written, just forward of cockpit.

White painted: tail cone; top,tip of verticle stabilizer; and prop hub.

TRI-color paint job rest of plane

Character on cowl shows no detail, just a few broken lines to show general out-line of hands ,feet, neck,and, ears.

I don`t know WHY the character was not colored in on the plane;;SHOT down before artist finished maybe???If someone knows please say the reason here

If you have a pic. of this plane. pm. me please D.B.

Name:	Mk27485.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	30.4 KB
ID:	319400   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf13807.jpg
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	319401   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bg94034.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	17.7 KB
ID:	319402  
Old 09-03-2005, 10:34 PM
D Bronk

quote:

ORIGINAL: D Bronk

HI BOB and WHOEVER else,I actually have way more on you request for "nose art" than I had remembered.At the moment I`m kind of tunnel visioned for the F4U-5 I`m looking for .My Pics are not that great but I`ll give the best description I can as to the art ,pilt ,BuNo`s,squads other markings,etc.etc. .This should help a person decide if the art is something they would like to investigate and use.,I`ll be glad to help however I can.Please just ask..........DAVE

This one is Lt. J.J O`Connel on USS Kwajalein aircraft carrier, cirrca 1943....His signature is below the sliding canopy below that plane is marked 042,all in white. It has a White; prop hub,tail cone and the very top,tip of the verticle stabilizer.

The art is in line with the STARS and BARS, 042 and directly below the dash board....It`s laid up on a circle,with the circle being broken in 4 places, to give the impression of gun sight and cross hair....It has the white circle placed on top of a black backgrond . In flesh color is an ANGEL, with white wings, and white halo,,,,she has swept back flaming RED hair....,There is no facial features on her. On the bottom half of the circle is in print "HELLS ANGELS"..... the squad is VMF-321...

Makes me wonder if the this group are the founders of the well known motorcycle " Social Club". MAYBE some one knows makes me wonder. (there is a connection)

If I find better pics I will add them too.FEEL free to do so as well!!!........D.B.

Name:	Ay74034.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	319430   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lq37303.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	2.6 KB
ID:	319432   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vp39258.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	15.0 KB
ID:	319433  
Attached Images  
Old 09-03-2005, 10:40 PM
D Bronk

The BIRD I`m huntin....only WINGED this one.. ANYBODY Else enjoying this topic ,or am I just practicing computer skills??

Name:	Ge96506.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	319437  
Old 09-03-2005, 10:50 PM
dionysusbacchus

Keep it goin! Love this stuff, what a thread! Love the F4U-1A, BuNo49850, the yellow adds a little color and with the art it's great.

The BIRD I`m huntin....only WINGED this one.. ANYBODY Else enjoying this topic ,or am I just practicing computer skills??
Old 09-03-2005, 11:02 PM
D Bronk

YES DION .I like that one too! I just would like to know how come it was never colored like this

Name:	Vs55735.jpg
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	319445  
Old 09-03-2005, 11:38 PM
D Bronk

.. The extended canopy was built,,not to sure on that prop though.If you have photos, or info, on these planes...please, p.m me thanks DAVE B....

Name:	Wu60855.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	25.8 KB
ID:	319460   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt63191.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	19.5 KB
ID:	319461  
Old 09-04-2005, 07:18 AM
D Bronk

F4U-1A BuNo50007...VMF-115,,,"JOE`S jokers..

Checker board on leading edge of cowl 4 squares deep; Top,tip of vertical,plus tail-cone to bottom of rudder 6 squares deep also on a bit of the horizontal stabilizer tip all in black and white.SOME of my literature claims that the checker pattern is actually, DARK BLUE and white. Can someone verify this??? I` ve got conflicting literature[:@]

Prop hub painted white, with a black, continuous stripe in a SCREW type pattern.

Nose art;on a black disc shaped back ground....Green hand with RED thumb nail,;It`s holding 5 white playing cards ,they are "fanned" out with black letters on them.Letters show front to back;;K,D,W,K and front card facing viewer, an ACE of SPADES..Fingers ,palm,and thumb show black lines for detail,,,,,,, to the TOP left of the cards in white paint, the letters are ;VMF......on wrist is a red band dropping outside of disc......Behind red Wrist is a white ribbon with a V cut in both ends of it ,giving 2 tips per end....the ribbons width is Half on, and half, hanging over the edge of the black disc .

THE fuse had white sealing tape forward of the Wind screen but did not travellas far forward as some of the CORSAIRS did.

The plane is painted in TRI color fashion

If anyone has an idea of ,what the letters for the playing cards stand for; please P.M. me thanks ...

I`m finding a lot of this art,is like music ;It takes a while to grow on you, and then you end up, just LOVING IT!!! like this one with the checkers all over...D.B.

JAMES BONDs PLANE????

Name:	Db84842.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	34.5 KB
ID:	319517   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb90099.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	319518   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ej14077.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	31.5 KB
ID:	319519  
Old 09-04-2005, 07:52 AM
D Bronk

Nice work! Funny how far back the insignia is on those older Corsairs, looks funny.

Corsairjock, you printing the decals? I'm going to work with those pictures and clean them up a bit.

Dion
Dion is refering to the EAGLE..DION THE artist wanted the wings to flap,,,when the cowl flaps opened and closed...LOL
Old 09-04-2005, 08:00 AM
rt3232
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dave this is great stuff I just wish I was a little more ready for it, as you know I am still building my birding, but at this point its a toss up between these last two..

keep it comming

Bob T

P, S, see you in the corsair thread
Old 09-04-2005, 08:30 AM
CorsairJock

.. ANYBODY Else enjoying this topic ,or am I just practicing computer skills??
By all means, PLEASE Continue! If my computer skills were better, I would probably contribute more.
I am downloading many of your color plates, adding them to my Corsair 'library'. I really like that 007 one also.
As for Hell's Angels social club: I did hear somewhere that some of it's founders were former WW II fighter pilots. The name goes back to the AVG group in China, and possibly farther back than that. Thus, some P-40s had the same or simular emblem. There were 3 'groups' in China, Hell's Angels was one of the 3.

I will add this contribution: it was used on my 1st Top Flite Corsair, a U.S.S. Bunker Hill (CV-20) based F4U-1D (see my Gallery).

NOTE: the drawing shows a -1A canopy, which is incorrect. The drawings also lack the rocket launching pylons (4 rockets per wing), which was standard on -1Ds. There is a good B&W picture of this particular aircraft in many books, taken in Feb, 1945.

Name:	Vt56094.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	111.8 KB
ID:	319531  
Old 09-04-2005, 11:30 AM
D Bronk

Glad you like those BOB.Don`t settle on anything just Yet,, there`s more..comming,in the next week or two..this stuff takes a lot of time..

CJ.Thanks for contributng.NOW if I can get every one to contribute Awe some photos,or anything I don`t have.WE will end up with a real good library of Paint schemes here..You`ll be happy to Know ,I`m working on the "DREAM GIRL",,YOU`re gonna Like HER,dude..YOU just might need a "jock" when you see her.I don`t know , might not give her up,,THE Hel_ with the MARINES,I`m gonna MARRY her!!!! No in a couple days, I`ll have her ready for YA.. ,got to get her dressed again ,first.....HAHAHAHA

THE H, ANGELS military guy`s did start up the ones(club) we all know of,..BUT THE 1`st H.A`s.were a bomber group..FROM WHAT I understand. AND THE TITLE did get used by various flight groups,as others were dis-banded,and new one started(re-cycled)..I`ve got the founders name somewhere..Don`t want to make it to easy for the guy who`s trying to document, got to make `em work a little..DAVE
Old 09-05-2005, 07:02 AM
dionysusbacchus

Good stuff as usual! Now I have some questions! #1 On the drop tanks, in particular the 178gal centerline tank, was it drop-able? It looks like it was attached with a pin in front just as the bomb rack was. #2 Where was the seem for this tank? Some show it running vertical (like my picture below) and others show it running horizontal, was there 2 tanks that were made? I want to make this tank, but I want to do it right! If anyone knows anything please respond, thanks in advance for the reply.

Dion

Name:	Ec89226.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	15.9 KB
ID:	319914  
Old 09-05-2005, 08:12 AM
D Bronk

Good stuff as usual! Now I have some questions! #1 On the drop tanks, in particular the 178gal centerline tank, was it drop-able? It looks like it was attached with a pin in front just as the bomb rack was. #2 Where was the seem for this tank? Some show it running vertical (like my picture below) and others show it running horizontal, was there 2 tanks that were made? I want to make this tank, but I want to do it right! If anyone knows anything please respond, thanks in advance for the reply.

Dion

Yes DION THERE was a COUPLE of styles depending on the era of the plane.I beleive all were dropable. I`ll get you perticulars, some time through the day...Since I know you want to make my canopy for meLOL .I`ll get you the best of the best drawings.FOR all the tanks, and drop mechanisms,Would you LIKE to have the VARIOUS bombs..?I think I have rockets too. that might be in my other computer ,you know the story on that though..I`ll see what I got for good pics too,Gonna probably be after supper though..If you tell me which verion I quess it`s for the U-1 I`ll get something together to get you started..

F4U-5 drawings and pics of canopy+ wind screen..F4U-&,and Au-1 are Identicle. This would open up lots more options for a person(me)...D.B. (Missing a couple. I`ll edit them in after)

Name:	Ki19226.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	7.7 KB
ID:	319926   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez82151.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	14.3 KB
ID:	319927   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qw56606.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	26.4 KB
ID:	319928   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zs51862.jpg
Size:	26.1 KB
ID:	319929  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.