Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

TF GS Corsair

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2005, 09:03 AM
JDHammer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TF GS Corsair

Hi guys,
The box just arrived on the big, brown airplane truck and I'm pretty excited about it. I've read the constr. manual and all pages of the threads by CorsairJock and Dion so I know there will be a lot of work to hit the scale level I am looking for. Just have three questions for now: 1. Where can I get a 3 view of an F4U1a for documentation purposes (ie, legal for contest)?. 2. Is there a way to quiet down a G62 engine so I can fly it at my club field (<95db)? And 3. The TF manal states that the gear doors mounted on the front of the main struts are not to be used in flight, for static display only. What is the reason for this caution?
Thanks in advance for the help, JD.
Old 06-24-2005, 11:27 AM
Thunderbolt47
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: TF GS Corsair

Hey JD, I too will be getting one soon. I have to finish my Mustang first. Try searching "Terry's Corsair" on the web. It is pretty good. I haven't read all the way though it yet. There are links to other pages there too.

As for the 3views My mustang kit had one in the back of the book. Are they not in the Corsair manual?

Be sure to post pics of your progress.

As for the gear covers, I don't see why you couldn't fly with them as long as they are securly attached. My friend had a Bud Nosen corsair with them and gear doors. No problems that I know of.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki19797.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	29.3 KB
ID:	289205   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg17600.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	14.7 KB
ID:	289206   Click image for larger version

Name:	Af88406.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	15.5 KB
ID:	289207   Click image for larger version

Name:	At54301.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	25.9 KB
ID:	289208  
Old 06-24-2005, 11:37 AM
voyager_663rd

They really help the (real) plane slow down for landing when extended. Obviously the same thing for your scale plane if they've put that warning in. On the other hand, I guess it's like the usual kind of warnings they stick on all items where there is the least amount possible danger (like "Don't stick your fingers in the prop when turning. Severe damage may result".

Or the method of fastening (per plans) might not be adequate for flying speeds.

Kinda difficult to even try them when flying cuz they can't be jettisoned if a problem develops [] .
Old 06-24-2005, 02:22 PM
Sledge-RCU

JD You any kin to me.....??
Tom Hammer, IMAA DD-8
Old 06-24-2005, 03:00 PM
gary9648

I flew with the front doors on, great air brakes! you should be able to find a muffler to work with the G-62, if not call Karl Reinbold of Bold mufflers. He will make you one to fit and be quite. The top flight GS corsair is a great flying bird.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl28551.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	289256  
Old 06-24-2005, 04:35 PM
D Bronk

JD HAMMER. HOW are YOU? ONE piece of advice for you.Get,SIGNAL/SQUADRON book D&S vol.55 part 1 XF4U through F2G,It deals only with those series of CORSAIRS`.The F4U-1A has its` own section in it!! There are color,and,b&w photos in it,showing GREAT detail shots of some of the smallest items on that plane,AND it includes a 5 view drawing on 3 pages@ 1:72 scale.THE pages are(80 pgs.)on high quality (thick),glossy paper.I have both part 1+2 books but can not post for you(my thread Corsair Buffs,and,Historians will tell you why)Get your mitts on part 1, it will be your best friend and will help you prevent re-dos` on the little details that mean so much(priceless).I think thats the direction that your headed for???If you can`t find one near you,I can set you up with a real good store out here,they sell books,(I know the owner)and are historians,that translate W.W.2.,original manuscripts,(mainly GERMAN officers)into English.THEYare a NO B-LL,S--T company and ship all over the world.I`m a stickler for detail and getting things right,first time too,so believe me YOU need,THAT, book.I paid under $30.00 CDN.so if you can find it localy I`m sure you`ll get it,at a little better price seeing how the U.S. dollar is worth a little more!!!!! FLY for NOW!!!! DAVE B. p.s.let me know if I can help.
Old 06-24-2005, 05:12 PM
wulf190
My Feedback: (19)

Gary, beautiful plane. I was going to do mine in this scheme and hope that you might help me with how you did your artwork. I was going to paint everything on but don't have any good clear images of the whole plane and the nose emblem. The Marines Dream website is a little shy on this. Any direction you can lead me would be great, or if you've got more images of your plane, please send them along and I'll use those as reference. Also, a heads up for all that Fiberglass Specialties now offers a cowl with the open cowl flaps for the plane though it isn't listed on the website yet. Just ordered one for mine this week.
Old 06-24-2005, 05:21 PM
ShaneUSMC

JD,
Try this website. It has variant drawings of most of the Vought aircraft.

http://www.vought.com/heritage/html/down.html
Old 06-24-2005, 07:08 PM
D Bronk

HEY SHANE how`s it goin thats a good site but I don`t know if those are really the type of drawings he`s after. Some are real good,but others are too cartoonish for my liking. Got to like that price though.To each, their own,right.I think he`s looking for "SHOW"quality,3 views,on the F4U-1A in perticular.I`m just wondering if anyone else stumbling on to this thread,owning THAT book could maybe drop their own opinion on the table.THAT way he dosn`t have to take advice from 1 stranger,he`ll be able to take advice from 2 or more strangers!!!.Regardless of where that book is purchased,I believe it`s a scale;CORSAIR builders,essential.First look,and a person will instantly,have,No doubts about it,really!! D.B.
Old 06-24-2005, 07:55 PM
bosssman
My Feedback: (35)

ORIGINAL: D Bronk

HEY SHANE how`s it goin thats a good site but I don`t know if those are really the type of drawings he`s after. Some are real good,but others are too cartoonish for my liking. Got to like that price though.To each, their own,right.I think he`s looking for "SHOW"quality,3 views,on the F4U-1A in perticular.I`m just wondering if anyone else stumbling on to this thread,owning THAT book could maybe drop their own opinion on the table.THAT way he dosn`t have to take advice from 1 stranger,he`ll be able to take advice from 2 or more strangers!!!.Regardless of where that book is purchased,I believe it`s a scale;CORSAIR builders,essential.First look,and a person will instantly,have,No doubts about it,really!! D.B.
wow,

I think those drawings are EXACTLY what the poster is looking for. There are VERY detailed drawings (to scale) that show intricate details of the assembly of the Corsair - I mean, after all, these are Vought official drawings, the people who built the Corsair "back in the day". I really appreciate Shane for posting that link as it is something that I was looking for. Since many of the drawings are on oversize paper, its a simple matter of downloading to a CD and taking the CD to a place like Kinkos to print out on oversize paper....

On another note, I also have received my GS Top Flite Corsair and have noticed several of us here at RCU have purchased this re-released kit - why not a group build thread? I am up for it as I certainly have some questions and it would be great to see what mods/changes to the kit builders are making to enhance the finished model. Any takers????

randy
Old 06-24-2005, 09:29 PM
mirwin

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Some "experts" say that the doors cause too much drag. If that's why they say that, then I say nonsense. I've flown my F4U with and without them, and I didn't notice any difference.

Mike
Old 06-24-2005, 10:04 PM
JDHammer

Thanks for all the quick information!

DBronk-A Marine friend of mine has loaned me a Squadron/Signal publication #29 from 1977 that appears to be very similar to the one you mention. It has a page-sized 3 view of a -1A but I wonder if that would be contest-legal? Hmm. Also have the Vought page saved now, thanks Shane.

As to the front gear doors, I'm guessing that Top Flite ran into problems during their initial test flights. Does anyone know if they have this same caution on the smaller-sized kit? Maybe this is what causes the characteristic tail wag mentioned in some Corsair posts.

Great idea on the build thread Bossman. I'm curious about these GS plans. Are they a direct enlargement of the 62" plane or has some structure been added?

On a personal note, you wouldn't believe how the arrival of this plane has had a domino affect on our house. Two days spent rearranging junk, going to Home Depot and constructing storage shelves and tables! Got to make room and start with a clean slate and for this reason my wife now loves the Corsair, thank goodness. JD.

Old 06-25-2005, 11:48 AM
DaddySam
My Feedback: (9)

I've had my Corsair for about three weeks, and have the gear too. In fact, I'm only waiting on the cowl and pilot and I should be able to get moving on it. G62 here too. I am looking into getting Kelvin at Keleo Creations to build an exhaust that will exit at the scale locations. Looking at the engine, cowl, and firewall, it may be possible to use a Bennett muffler routed to some scale looking exhaust outlets via the flexible metal tubing Bennett sells. Maybe go through a muffling chamber or something. I hope to incorporate some of the mods from "corsair jock"'s thread, as well as Chris Spangenberg (sp) High Flight article. I look forward to watching others do their builds. I may start one on RCSB, see if I have time.
Good luck to all..
Sam
Old 06-25-2005, 11:51 AM
DaddySam

Hi Gary
I hope the word "flew" in your post does not mean your corsair bit the big one. It was after seeing that pic of your plane that I decided to go with TF instead of Z! Any more tips you can give would be appreciated.
Sam
Old 06-25-2005, 05:02 PM
rt3232
My Feedback: (6)

Hi guys, I am new to RCU and this thread, would like to ask some questions, Frist I am just starting my secound t/f/g/s corsair,
frist one bit the dirt due ti engine failure, (no fuel) muffler melted hole in line. (bosssman) If you do a group build How do you stay in contact, (wulf) how or what is the part number for the cowl with flaps open.. I have some pic of My custom muffler with exhust exits about scale, I get 89 at 9 which meets our club rules both sides, I used 90% of the volum of the orig G62 muffler, when I get my new bird flying, we will use some plugs to quiet it down some more.. if any one is intersted let me know and I will try to post some pic..
Old 06-25-2005, 09:32 PM
DaddySam

rt3232
Please do post some pix of your muffler. I am still in the brainstorming stage with this so any ideas would be appreciated. Sorry to hear about your loss of the plane. It's amazing how the smallest detail can undo all our work!
Sam
Old 06-25-2005, 10:11 PM
D Bronk

JD, i`m back ,I tried to post to you twice last night but each response (lengthy) was lost before my eyes. SABATOGE ??? finally gave up @ 2:00 am so I`ll try again!! BOSSMANS got good idea about the build thread but you guys` ought to consider letting the 62" gold edition,be involved too since the giant and the baby are so simalar in build sequence just a matter of size difference,(scale up or down) from my understanding.Regardless a thread like that would be useful to a builder making the"baby" brother as well.I`LL try to give you a good understanding on a few things you were asking about.First,3 view drawings.I`ve spent an awfull --Manually Fix-- awfully awful aw full aw-full awfuller afoul full lawfully lot of time figureing this aspect of the hobby out.I have spoken in length,months ago, with a highly acclaimed judge,he is a historian too,in the U.S.A,by the way,and a really nice guy to talk to as well.Can put you in touch with him too,if you`d like. Okay drawings,and judging.I find the subject technical,and,dumb all at the same time.Those drawings are as important to the judge,as is the model you are making,and showing.The link that SHANE posted is great,and,valuable to the builder,but will not,by themselves,get you points with the judge!!I`ll probably do like BOSSMAN says`copy`them and bring`em along with my,view drawings.Don`t forget you are trying to"impress"him,and,I think it will show him that you are doing your homework,and have a genuine intrest in the aircraft that you are mimicking.Truly the homework can be a real struggle,and time consuming process,check my thread it`s kind of what I`m doing there(maybe a Quick link between here and there?the topics do relate in ways)I`M finding that doing a "famous"plane,ex."pappy" Boyington #s, 883, lulabelle 86, LT. Ken Walsh, CAPT. Bordelon,there is too many too mention,but the point is there is lot`s of documentation available on those subjects but I find them done to death ,myself, but easier to document.I just want to be different.Judges like to see documentation as well, by the way.Back on track here again.the scale size of your drawings does not matter. can be any scale size 1;42, 1;38,1:72,1:100,1:1(really large) dosn `t matter.just keep in mind, that when the judge(a good one) takes his scale rule and he most likely will to your"view"drawings they scale up to what is stated on the drawings. Meaning a good drawing will scale up to the 1:1(full size) measurments of the the plane you are making.Now for the real DUMB part,but pay close attenttion because your plane Will be checked for this too!!If the drawings you are using for "show time",not the top-flite building blue prints;are perfect in every way,except,I`ll use an example that effected me with my 1:8 scale kit.With the rudder .My problem was reversed though.Here`s the example:you are looking at the side view and notice that the rudders` shape is wrong, the draftsman was having a bad day,he goofed up and made the rudders top too flat and you know for a fact it should be more round at the top.You now have too goof up too by making the top of your rudder too flat as well,so as to match your "show"drawings.The judge will not"dock"points if your rudder has the flat spot,but will if the drawing shows the goof up, but its not on your plane.the judges KNOW the"good" and the"bad"of these kits and really know what to look for here is the advice I recieved "get your drawings BEFORE you start to build".You really need to have your drawings on hand,check them with your scale rule,check your builders blue print,and,look for faults between the two,think out a plan to correct them,incorporate your plan with your building manual(no redos this way).I hope that i`m not frightening anyone all that this envolves --Manually Fix-- involves evolves involver's involved involve univalves convolves involver enclaves envelopes evolved is some pre-build thought. Quite simple this way as opposed to the cost of money,and,extra time of remaking an entire part.Now back to that web site and judging topic .Maybe I`m looking at something wrong but I found a 3 view of a F4U-D in one place,and a poster of various sections,and different parts,and details about every CORSAIR built from the XF4U though to AU-1.That drawing was made after the F4U-7.I think this because,CAPT. GUY P. BORDELON ,got whatever plane the NAVY gave him The draftsmen did not draw up a special F4U-5N, CORSAIR just for him,specify the missions,and,the kill markings then send it out to him to achieve the goal.He made history!!!It was not specified for him to attain.A bit of nostalgia. BORDELONs `kills between June 29 and July17 1953 (5)of them at night ACE,by the time he was finished with his -5N he was a tripple threat ACE.the ONLY NAVY ace ,the only all by" propellor "ace of the entire KOREAN WAR conflict. he flew 35 missions with that plane before it was handed over to an Air Force pilot who totaled it in crash.I personally find that remarkable.See what I mean about "homework"?? Back to topic again,my thoughts are 3 view ,good,5 view,GREAT and only of an F4U-1A but thats really up to you.Hope I made sense on this for you ,I`m sure you`ll have some questions so bombs` awayyyyyyyyy .. Dave.B p.s. I`ll give you my findings on that retract door stuff this evening yet too

Old 06-25-2005, 10:16 PM
bosssman
My Feedback: (35)

rt3232 (and everyone interested in a group build)

the best way to stay in contact is through a dedicated thread devoted primarily to the buildup of the TF GS Corsair. I guess I'll go ahead and start it as I have been PM'd by a few already who are interested in the group build. Also, to stay in contact other than the group thread is by PM'ing (private messaging) someone that you may have a specific question about. As for myself, I have one computer that pretty much stays on 24/7 and I routinely check RCU throughout the day (I am retired Air Force and currently work out of my home as a medical transcriptionist). Feel free to PM me about anything and I will do my best to answer your question.....

at any rate, I'll go ahead and open the group build thread and I guess the first order of business would be a "roll call" to see how many are jumping into this. I know several of us are involved in other projects (aren't we always?) - myself, I am putting the finishing touches on my CMP Hellcat, but am chomping at the bit to do this Corsair. I have wanted one of these for many years and its finally been re-released and I have one. I'm not getting any younger, so on with the build....

randy
Old 06-25-2005, 11:35 PM
JDHammer

Thanks D Bronk. If I understand correctly our first step is to get a good 3 view. Then we construct to those dimensions however, this may or may not please the judge since he has his own idea of how the outline should look. Maybe my question should be then, where can I get a good judge's 3 view? lol.

RT3232-I am very interested in any pictures or details you might have on your G62 muffler system. 89db sounds great and would be well within our club rules. Also checking Bennett, Bold and Keleo. I have done business with Kelvin at Keleo and he is a miracle worker; made a muffler for me from email pictures!

Anyway, back on track... count me in for Bossman's group build. Maybe we could list the stage we're at what we want to accomplish.
My stage: Still in the box, researching and gathering components. Waiting on Engine, muffler, receiver, retracts, and cowl (Fibertech).
My goals: 1. Nice flying F4U1a 2. Learn about gas engines and how to make them quiet 3. Learn how to fiberglass a warbird. 4. Make it as scale looking as possible with local competition a possibility. 5. Above all, NO HANGAR QUEENS-the airplane has to pay its way!

**Update: Oops, just noticed Bossman has started a separate thread-See you all over there!**
Old 06-26-2005, 02:31 AM
D Bronk

J.D. here`s my personal findings and thoughts about those landing gear doors.My 1;8 kit came supplied with the parts to make fixed landing gear,and the manual stated the cover was simply to be screwed to the leg with plastic strap type clamps on either the fixed or retractable landing gear.I never intended on using the solid gear and had got the robart rotators,and their struts, picked up at the same time as the boxed kit.There is some build variation in manual but I perfer to go in sequence and get that job out of the way as opposed to bouncing around the book for jobs while waiting for parts to arrive,less likely to build yourself into a problem by forgetting or missing a step so I had everything on hand. Any ways I think the fixed gear is a pretty primative set up, but would make the plane roll, and, have non working (folding) strut covers(two clamps 4screws)/side ,good enough for that system (fixed gear)I quess the point is if it can fly it can fly with those covers and wheels hanging down on the 1:8 size,all the time,and the 1:1 size when ever it was landing and taking off, your plane (what`s the scale? anyway.)will do it too,no problem.I`m sure you`re not putting a "*****"engine in it,eh!!I`ll explain the problem with covers and retracts,(I had to figure this out on my own,I had no computer or internet till a couple of months ago.)like this.Sure would be fun to see all the light bulbs come on above every ones head. I`m going to use two examples here for fun factor.A Mustang has retracts that go into wing, left to right.CORSAIR same thing,but front to back.I know your thinking ,SO what!!Here`s the What... Mustang models you can just simply clamp the cover to the strut and presto your done. " CORSAIR", say I. "HUH? WHY not"say you???I say,"Hark,is that the soundth of yonder light switch, I heareth !!"We all say,together in unison,1,-2,-3."ROTATION" seriously you can,t just clamp strut cover to strut like my manual told me to do and the full size actually do, Well you could ,but your plane will end up looking pretty stupid with nice retracts in it that don`t put the wheel all the way up into the wing because your strut covers just became new rudders on the bottom of your wing and are preventing a full retract I`m sure you`re getting the drift of this by now.
The retracts that I am now aware of all rotate the strut with the axel from all the strut makers. The full scale aircraft had a non turning oleo strut that the door is mounted on.The wheel axle is turned by a pinion gear mounted on top of a 2 pc . sliding center shaft which connects to the axle so the tire will lay flat in the wing. I found a few other things out in regards to getting those covers on, that I wish ,I knew then

,what I know now type of thing. most dosn`t really improve the plane,just would have been easier in the building stage.I came up with a,simple,inexpensive($3.50),looks good, nearly scale way to have those covers on and be flyable too. I hate not seeing those covers on a plane."They are just too cool looking to not be there" say`s I. Any ways I` m sure TOP FLITE took a lot of FLAK and got a ton of phone calls when guy`s like me followed the recommended parts list,built to the manual,made their wheel houses, installed their retracts then smacked in to the builders block as to how the H-LL,is this supposed to work,am I reading this right???Better phone Top-FLITE cause i`m totally P,o`d now .I`m sure you get my drift.JD. They probably learned their lesson on the 1;8size and just say to velcro them on and take em off when you go to fly I imagine.I got to go to bed (bad headache) if you wan`t more on this let me know and I`ll shoot a few more of these missles over there.There is a couple other minor things to that cover buisness But you`ve got a whole wing to build before you need those covers setup.Hopefully by then I`ll have a digital camera that can do some of the talking talking for me I suck at typing.Hammer, I
need a sexytary to do my key boardingOPPS
another typing error and I`m just too tired to back and fix it.[:@] FLY for NOW!!! DAVE B.

Go back to the previous page.
Old 06-26-2005, 08:54 AM
rt3232

[8D]

Well I an back with some more questions, D Bronk please explain the cheap easy way to attach the strut door, and as for pic of my muffler, I now have them in a folder in my computer, but have not figured out how to post, but will try in the next few days. making balsa dust I under stand, but after building computers (the hardware) for 30 years I now have to learn how to use the d_@#$ thing, so bare with me..
what do you do about the cockpit floor if you are using a full body pilot ? when I make measurement it looks like it needs to be about 3/4 lower any comments? Also on my first one I followed the instructions and plans all most to the letter , on this new one I would like to cover the hinge lines, so it looks a little more like scale. any help with out going to fully in closed pivits ?

bob t

PS if any of you have the time to help me out with this pic posting please give me a PM a [email protected]
Old 06-26-2005, 10:39 AM
DaddySam

I'll be covering my hinge lines too. I plan on inlettting the balsa trailing edges enough to glue on a strip of 1/16 aircraft ply that will create a "socket" for the control surface to fit into. The control surface leading edges will be rounded with the hinges moved just enough forward to put the pivot pointl where it needs to be. There have been some articles (by Pat McCurry I think) in RC Report on how to do this. I'm going to try to conceal the control actuators, following Chris Spangenberg's ideas.
Sam
Old 06-26-2005, 11:25 AM
gary9648

No my Corsair is still flying. A friend has it now, but I may buy it back. Miss my Dream Girl. LOL
Gary
Old 06-26-2005, 12:31 PM
JDHammer

ORIGINAL: DaddySam
I'm going to try to conceal the control actuators, following Chris Spangenberg's ideas.
Sam
Yes, have just read Chris S's article about 10 times-great stuff. Daddy Sam: I'm still unclear how he attaches the ball link to the aluminum tube. Wouldn't it be simpler to attach the ball link to a 4-40 rod which slides inside a small dia. carbon fiber tube?
Old 06-26-2005, 07:59 PM
rt3232

For those intersted in the muffler I did post pic's on the thread group build. I no that they wont ansure all of the questions, but if you ask I'll try to give good ansures

Bob t

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.