Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
 GROUP BUILD - Top Flite Giant Scale F4U Corsair >

GROUP BUILD - Top Flite Giant Scale F4U Corsair

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

GROUP BUILD - Top Flite Giant Scale F4U Corsair

Old 03-22-2011, 06:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: GROUP BUILD - Top Flite Giant Scale F4U Corsair

Might as well stick em together with some tape and see how they might work.

Corsair Brotherhood # 69
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk26525.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	1582804  
Old 03-22-2011, 06:58 PM
My Feedback: (3)

Looking Good Buckmeister. Keep it up.
Old 03-22-2011, 06:59 PM

I will go back and do some lightening holes in the elevators. This already feels heavy!!!

Started the rudder.

Corsair Brotherhood #69

Name:	Vt57144.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	1582807   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cy77381.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	1582808  
Old 03-22-2011, 07:12 PM
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Buckmeister

Welcome to the thread, and looks like you have a good plan. from the pic's nice work I will offer one comment from experance 1 oz, of wieght saved in the tail is 6 oz less wieght needed in the nose.
Also check post #1 of the thread for the endax might be a lot of help to you.

Cheers Bob T
Corsait Brotherhood #5

PS Think lite with thei build
Old 03-22-2011, 07:18 PM

Now that I put it on line, I'll be even more motivated. I know if I just do something every day (5 out of 7 ain't bad), it will eventually fly.
I've saved for 18 months, and purchased almost everything needed to complete it, except the engine and paint. I may way-over power with a DA 85 but use a good looking 3-BLADE PROP. (Money, Money, Money, that's all I want!). May have to use a G-62 already in my posession and two blade it[]
It is currently going to be an "Arrow Tail". I changed my mind three times in the last 6-months, so ....we will see. If too many (B)ARFS come out with something similar, I may have to look for something less traditional.

Corsair Brotherhood #69
ONLY MONEY, TIME, AND SKILL IS STOPPING ME.
Old 03-22-2011, 07:50 PM

Hello Bob T.

I appreciate the reminder about tail weight in this plane and the index.
I've been to those pages a few months back and will certainly get back real soon.
I remember some pics with lightening holes that I will use for reference. Gonna read the rest a lot closer for additional ideas.
My grandaughter said to me: "put the stuff they put in baloons in the air tank to make it lighter". At six yrs old she already has the makings of a builder!
(She remembers the "aluminum Bottle" from when it got delivered two months ago. Or is that a women thing that they are born with to recognize whenever a man gets something fun, they catalog it and never let him forget that they know what you bought?

Any additional comments are greatly appreciated and always welcome.

Corsair Brotherhood # 69
All I need is money, time, and skill.
Old 03-23-2011, 05:11 AM

Buck

At least she comes in to your shop If she is old enough use some scrap and help her make a clider, she might like it, on the outher hand my G/dauther just sticks her head in the door and tells me it smells and need to be cleaned[&o] cant help the smells with all of the stuff i use but CLEAN if I put every thing away I could not do a thing

Cheers Bob t

Old 03-23-2011, 09:14 AM

QUOTE: My grandaughter said to me: "put the stuff they put in baloons in the air tank to make it lighter". At six yrs old she already has the makings of a builder.

Actually she is a Genius. It would infact work.</p>
Old 03-23-2011, 03:26 PM

Starting to look like a real airplane, Buck.  Keep up the good work.<div>
</div><div>Maybe get some finer sandpaper so you don't over do it.  At least you weren't using the DA. ;-)</div>
Old 03-23-2011, 05:50 PM

Buckmeister,

Your looking good keep up the good work

George
Corsair Brotherhood #1
Old 03-24-2011, 09:50 AM

Hey Gadget
Doug wouldn't let me at the DA or any other power or sharp tools LOL.
I finally recovered from the weekend flying at Cape Coral. All day: beautiful, sunny, and windy right down the runway.
Followed up with a non-stop 1/2 hour foamy gagle Then the night flying began.
We maidened Ricky D's (R.I.P.) last build (80 inch cadet Senior) with those cheap battery pack, left over Christmas LED Lights on it.
The lights worked great for a "Basher night flyer" and cost was only a few bucks.
We could hear him laughing all the way from the "Here-after". He would be proud of us!
Followed by enormous quantities of adult beverage left me spent.
Past three days were 12-hour work days. I'll be gluing and sanding the Corsair again this evening.
Old 03-24-2011, 06:08 PM
My Feedback: (12)

can someone please post info where to get ordnance, missiles etc fot the corsair......thanx
Old 03-24-2011, 06:55 PM

ORIGINAL: jetsflying

can someone please post info where to get ordnance, missiles etc fot the corsair......thanx

You can get bombs and some tanks from here http://www.ziroliplans.com/ziroliplans/welcome.html .the tanks are not what you usaly see on corsairs there like the ones on P51s and 47s

Contact noray1 for info on buying 1/6 scale corsair tanks post 55 there are pics of them on a corsair in post 63 http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_86...htm#8935955ost
Old 03-26-2011, 06:55 AM

CORSAIR BROTHERHOOD (UPDATED 2/10/2011)
NAME SCREEN NAME NUMBER ASSIGNED
George Ctflyboy 1
Devens 2
Gibbs Ncis 3
David Tomcat 4
Bob RT 5
Winston Cimara 6
Charlie Foxfoto 7
Cliff Cliff 600 8
Tim TIM (Deceased) 9 (RETIRED NUMBER)
Dave D Bronk 10
Scott Scotty C 11
Mike Wulf 190 12
B Bowen 13
R Schaffer 14
M Callahan 15
Randy Bossman 16
Quinn Corsairkidd 17
Scott Sbleile 18
Ron Flytoolow 19
Phil Fili 20
R Monty 1 21
Mike Corsairbrotherhood 22
(NUMBERS 23 & 24) not used
Kelly Thunderbolt 25
Sam DaddySam 26
(Numbers 27 thru 34) not used
Mike Picard 1 35
Howie Texasskydiver 36
Leonard 555 41
Nick Frisconick 44
Nick M3guy100 48
Scott Fly 2xs 49
Gary M Gary M 50
Don Airboss45 51
George GTC 52
Radek Radek M 53
Jim JazzRC 54
Jack JSCogin 55
Robert Acerc 56
Nchrome 57
Henry FTMustang65 58
Duane Aceisback 59
Bob nauticom 60
mrrandyman 61
Tracey Pilox 62
Waltbird 63
Joe Thunderthud 1 64
John Budmo 65
Booker-RCU 66
Craig Crumpler 67
Buckmeister 69

Old 03-27-2011, 09:16 PM
My Feedback: (1)

I have a question about power system for the Corsair. I had issues in the past where I kept "Cooking" the flap servos even though they had no binding or problems I could find. I was using a 5-cell NiCd pack. The plane flew fine with the 5-cell pack, but I lost the flaps. Anyway, I replaced the 5-cell pack with a 4-cell NiCd pack and no longer had overheating issues with the servos. When I flew the Corsair using the 4 Cell pack, I was really fighting it and ended up putting it down in a bean field. I still believe that the problem was due to wind as a really strong popcorn storm moved in just after I landed it. I never lost control of it, but it just did not fly like it did on it's first flight. I have the Corsair ready to fly again, and I thinking of trying a higher voltage battery pack (Duralite, A123, etc.) along with either a 5.6 or 6 volt regulator.

I am looking for advice on 4-cell vs. 5-cell or other pack. I am a little scared to take the bird up since I totaled one due to engine failure after takeoff and the last minor crash, don't want to tear this one up anymore. I was lucky last time.

Thanks!
Duane
Old 03-28-2011, 03:53 AM

Duane

I had the same issue way back burned up moters 2 hi $$ Futaba mg/bb servos. for me I ended up using a JR match box with the up end point a red hair just befor full up in the wing and the down set so that they were the same at 40 deg's have had no more problems this will be third season with no issues. I am using 5 cell nimh 2700 mh packs.

So I would check your end points in the up position, you should not hear the servo talking, the outher thing put a loaded amp meter between the Rx and the flaps to see what they are drawing and apply some hand pressure to see how much the load changes

Hope this helps and maybe some of the outher guys will chime in hear with better help and suggestions.

Cheers Bob T
Old 03-28-2011, 05:03 PM

can someone give me some info...... i am trying to get dry transfers and masks from promark and they need some detailed documentation. if someone knows or has any pics they post it would be greatly appreciated.

Name:	Db83865.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	34.5 KB
ID:	1585513  
Old 03-28-2011, 06:02 PM

Jetsflying

What campaign does the picture you posted represent? what year was this Corsair flying?

George
CORSAIR Brotherhood # 1
Old 03-30-2011, 05:37 AM

Is it possible that it is a fictional scheme?

D
Old 03-30-2011, 06:33 AM

i don't think so....i think is a marines trainer scheme.(its on the cover of FLY RC magazine september 2009) jason shulman score second place in PRO-AM PRO
Old 03-30-2011, 07:39 AM
My Feedback: (60)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

There is a very detailed walkaround pictorial of a restored Corsair in this color scheme at this link: http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.co...ir/walk136.htm

VMFT-20 was a Marine training squadron and the paint job on the Corsair is authentic. The same scheme can also be found on F7F Tigercats as well.
Old 03-30-2011, 01:04 PM

thank you very much...........chad
Old 04-01-2011, 04:13 PM

Hello everyone,<div>
</div><div>I have bought a GS TF Corsair a few months ago and i have learned of this site from one of your members. I have started reading the site and I am now on page 47. I see that many people are using a G62 engine and i am learning very much from all of you and thank you. But i do have one question for you now, that I have not found the answer for yet. In the manuel it says that at least 10 standard size servos are required, okay, i understand that. Then it says that they need to be "High Torque Servos".  But no where have I found what inch/ounces are required for the servos. Can some one tell me what the 7 "high torque servos", the inch/ounces, should be for those?</div><div>
</div><div>I will now go back to reading and learning from all of you. I am sure that i will have some more question in time, I am trying to make a list of all of the parts that I need and want and to plan ahead, this way I can buy them when I am at Joe Nall, next month.</div><div>
</div><div>Thank you for all of your help in advance,</div><div>
</div>
Old 04-01-2011, 06:23 PM
My Feedback: (20)

there is an ad running on rcu for 244 oz servos. i am not advertising for this guy but you may  want to check them out. moderately priced and really look like they are well made. i got several for my corsair and am going to use them in other builds as well. if you cant find the ad email me and i will give you his email. craig #67
Old 04-01-2011, 06:34 PM
My Feedback: (8)

ORIGINAL: JRM23

Hello everyone,<div>
</div><div>I have bought a GS TF Corsair a few months ago and i have learned of this site from one of your members. I have started reading the site and I am now on page 47. I see that many people are using a G62 engine and i am learning very much from all of you and thank you. But i do have one question for you now, that I have not found the answer for yet. In the manuel it says that at least 10 standard size servos are required, okay, i understand that. Then it says that they need to be ''High Torque Servos''. But no where have I found what inch/ounces are required for the servos. Can some one tell me what the 7 ''high torque servos'', the inch/ounces, should be for those?</div><div>
</div><div>I will now go back to reading and learning from all of you. I am sure that i will have some more question in time, I am trying to make a list of all of the parts that I need and want and to plan ahead, this way I can buy them when I am at Joe Nall, next month.</div><div>
</div><div>Thank you for all of your help in advance,</div><div>
</div>

I believe high torque is any servo above 45 oz. But I like to start around 80 oz just to be safe. Metal gear is perferred.
However, I run DS 821s on my Mustang and Corsair. The one in the mustang are 4 years old. I get alot of grief from other modelers, because they are not metal gear. With good machanical advantage on the linkages, I have never had a problem with the DS821. I have replaced the clevises and several control arms due to many flights on the mustang, but the gears are still tight.
Remember this plane was design when thre was no metal gear servos and a 70 oz servo was a monster servo.

Kelly

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.