Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

GROUP BUILD - Top Flite Giant Scale F4U Corsair

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

GROUP BUILD - Top Flite Giant Scale F4U Corsair

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2006, 01:24 AM
SMUGator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: GROUP BUILD - Top Flite Giant Scale F4U Corsair

ORIGINAL: cimara

Oh smugator thats a nice looking Jug who designed the kit
It's the little TopFlite GS.
Old 11-03-2006, 01:29 AM
SMUGator

ORIGINAL: wulf190

And there you have it....I knew Gary would be the man for the little squares. Winston, you might try using 1/4" 3m plastic masking tape for crisp lines. It's REAL flexible and doesn't bleed...expensive and tough to find of course as well. Any good auto paint store will have it though. Get a bunch, you'll use it everywhere, especially on canopies and things that require compound curves. Good stuff.
If you don't find the 3M, Tamiya works pretty well also. We used it on the jug cowl with absolutely no problems.
Old 11-03-2006, 02:30 AM
bigplumbs
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You guys do amazing work. I am assamed to say that I only put together ARTF's and could never do the quality of work you guys do

Dennis

www.densplanes.co.uk
Old 11-03-2006, 05:07 AM
Peter_OZ
Banned
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dennis,
i think u owe your wife a shopping trip!
hehe
cheers
Old 11-03-2006, 09:50 AM
rt3232
My Feedback: (6)

Cimara
A tape that is readily available is called FineLine it is plastic and most body shops use it and most automotive paint supply stores sell it.. there two styles blue and peee green, I have used both but like the blue as it stretches nicely around radius's

Doolittleraider
You are right about the 4 oz but you add that to the 3 more you get when putting holes in the tail wheel box and it eliminates over a pond of dead weight out of the nose when you go to balance your bird, I am only saying this from experience.

Cheers Bob
Old 11-03-2006, 11:36 AM
Doolittleraider
My Feedback: (72)

Bob,

I would be curious to have someone weigh the box before and after as well. To be precise the guy on rcscale builder saved .67 ounces
which equates to 2.4 ounces up front even less than the 4 ounces I roughly estimated. So in order to save a pound up front you'd have to remove 3.7 ounces from the box. To save 1/2 pound up front 1.5 ounces. These calculations take into account the lightening holes in the tail surfaces. However, the tail wheel box is heavier would probably be more signigicant or worth doing. But it all adds up in the long run.

I only offer this as discussion. My disclaimers: I am a lazy builder, this is my first all woodkit warbird, and I do understand the fact that all the little weight adds up ("small creeks make big rivers").

Peter
Old 11-03-2006, 02:24 PM
rt3232

Doolittleraider
First I am also a newbe to scale so to speak, and my only motive in what I have posted is to try to keep others from making the same mistakes I have as these birds are not cheep by any std.
There are pic's back in this thread of what I did, I used a 3/4 hole saw and saved all of the centers weighed them on a postal scale, used a piece of wood with the same moments, as the fus and added weight to balance (#6 lead shot) all of the numbers are also back there to. When I built my first bird no mods just out of the box,I had to add just over 2lbs to get a good balance at the book C/G. On this new bird it balanced right on with no weight added , but I wanted the C/G to be 5/8 fwd and that required 12 oz in the fuse right behind the fire wall, and do to engine problems with the 62 the new bird is still a hanger queen, and yes it will increase the landing speed but should greatly decrease the snap when close to the ground and slow. After a few flights I may remove some of the nose weight. Now with my flying season over till next year (do to stiff hands in the cold), will have to wait to see how it will fly.[&o]

Hope this helps

Cheers Bob
Old 11-03-2006, 03:54 PM
Doolittleraider
My Feedback: (72)

Bob,

That sure helps and is good "food for thought". Wheres my dremel?.....................
Old 11-03-2006, 06:48 PM
Peter_OZ
Banned

Bob what kind of hole saw do you use for that? I should have done similar on my 47 to be honest and when I tackle the Corsair will most defintely be on a weight reduction excercise right accross the bird. the 47 is going to be tail heavy due to having to repair the stab and all the filler associated with that repair, still most will sand off but just have to live with it being a tad heavy.

Add to the fact with all my wing mods and I think this bird will come out close on 30lbs[:'(]

Mate of mine is building a big 130 odd inch DH Mosquito and has applied that to the tail feathers. He has cut out about 1/2 lb maybe more in weight from those areas alone.

cheers
Peter
Old 11-03-2006, 08:46 PM
cimara

Thanks I am glad I didnt toss that Eastwood catalog that came in the mail . They have the tape . My 62 arrived to day hard to believe you can get 5 hp out of such a small engine.
Old 11-03-2006, 08:57 PM
rt3232

Hi Pete

I used a milwackie (question the spelling) wirh a 1/4 pilot bit and 3./4OD but from my early days in the convairs low speed wind tunal the rule of thumb was 11/2 times the thickness from th edge of mtl to the hole and that is with a/c grade ply So with todays lite ply I have been using 2 to 21/2 times the thickness to edge of hole and and 11/2 thickness between holes, and anyn size drill or hole saw that fits, just remember to clean up the edges so there no burs or cracks and you should be good to go, allways CA the edges
Hope this makes sence as jus came back from outing with the wife great dinner and to meany libations

Cheers Bob

Old 11-03-2006, 11:33 PM
Peter_OZ
Banned

LOL Bob,
mate you were almost coherent!! Av a drink for me too!!

yup worked out most of it, especially CA on the edges of the hole.

cheers
me
Old 11-04-2006, 02:10 AM
SMUGator

ORIGINAL: rt3232
Cimara
A tape that is readily available is called FineLine it is plastic and most body shops use it and most automotive paint supply stores sell it.. there two styles blue and peee green, I have used both but like the blue as it stretches nicely around radius's

Yikes!!! When you peee green, who do you call first? Your wife, your doctor, your mistress or your priest?
Old 11-04-2006, 07:59 AM
rt3232

Hi Smugater

I don't tkink I am old enough to peee green yet but the tape works great..

Bob
Old 11-07-2006, 10:35 PM
rt3232

Hi guys been out of circulation for a few days, so what is happning??

Ctflyboy, mike, smugater any one have any new pic's

Cheers Bob
Old 11-07-2006, 11:00 PM
cimara

Well I got this far hopefully it keeps going this good this wing is a big pain but not as bad as I thought .Off day tomorrow time to break out the epoxy and finish it up
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx72194.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	556176   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy79283.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	556177  
Old 11-07-2006, 11:23 PM
SMUGator

Ctflyboy, mike, smugater any one have any new pic's

Cheers Bob
I'm just getting started on the 1/8. Talked to Kelvin at Keleo today though. He was starting work on my scale exhausts. Says they will ship on Tuesday.

Tom
Old 11-08-2006, 08:33 AM
rt3232

Hay Cimara

Looks like you are doing great, nice pic's, I don't remember if you are doing gear doors but if you are don't forget to add the extra ribs for the wheel wells.

Smugater

When you get that exhaust from Keleo please post pic's also what engine are you using?? and are you going to make three tube angle cut exit points.

Cheers Bob
Old 11-08-2006, 08:47 AM
DaddySam
My Feedback: (9)

Oh, so you're the one! Kelvin mentioned to me that he was working on a scale exhaust for a corsair. He's making me one for my G-62 powered TFGS Corsair. Please post pix when they arrive!
Sam
PS: Still repairing my Spit, then back into the Corsair!
Old 11-08-2006, 08:57 AM
rt3232

Dadysam

I am running a G-62 also so I would like to see pic' of your exhaust when it comes

Thanks Bob
Old 11-08-2006, 11:46 AM
timothy thompson

axi makes a outrunner for 750.00 that will fly this plane! expensive though. full scale engine and sound box sounds fun
Old 11-08-2006, 02:38 PM
SMUGator

Smugater

When you get that exhaust from Keleo please post pic's also what engine are you using?? and are you going to make three tube angle cut exit points.

Cheers Bob

It's going on an OS FS 120 and will have the three tube angled exits both starboard and port.
Old 11-08-2006, 03:15 PM
Tomcat_104
My Feedback: (42)

Hi Guys,

I built a 1/8th scale TF Corsair acouple of years ago and then had a stroke. I decided that the GS was easier to work on so I started one of those. My 1/8th, which is still in the garage has a Saito120 four stroke in it. Before I sell it I want to finish it and add a 90 degree elbow to it so that the exhaust can go somewhere else. Can anyone here recomend a source for this elbow? I know I have seen them. I also knew every nurse in both hospitals was madly in love with me. My wife says I'm sometimes wrong. I'm not real sure what she means by that but help me out if you can.

David[8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D]
Old 11-08-2006, 03:38 PM
rt3232

Smugater

Thats great are the exit point assy's going to be separate or attached to the manifold?? what I found with my custom muffler exhaust side exit is part of the muffler and the right side is separate and attached to the fire wall with large blue silicon tube connecting, and I think that is why right side is about 3 db quitter.

Dave

Try Tower hobbies or call 800-637-6050 and a vary nice lady will help you find what you need,

Cheers bob
Old 11-08-2006, 05:05 PM
SMUGator

Thats great are the exit point assy's going to be separate or attached to the manifold?? what I found with my custom muffler exhaust side exit is part of the muffler and the right side is separate and attached to the fire wall with large blue silicon tube connecting, and I think that is why right side is about 3 db quitter.
[/quote]

They will be detachable from from the manifold and will have flex tubing passing through the firewall. Each flex tube will attach to a smaller canister that mounts to a hardpoint behind the firewall. These canisters support the exhaust stack assembly that crosses over behind the firewall and exits on the opposite side from the inbound flex tube from the manifold. At least that's how Kelvin described his design. Apparently he's already built one for a H9 Corsair so if that pilot is hanging around maybe he can chime in. I should have pictures in a week or so.

Tom

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.