Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Corsair ride?

Old 09-04-2005, 06:13 PM
SVX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Corsair ride?

I just got back from an airshow (kinda) in which two P-40's were giving rides for $600. Also a Mustang for a $1000. The P-40 is even more beautiful in person I must say but I just couldn't justify the cost. Anyway, I would like to give my Dad a gift that he has dreampt of his whole life, the chance to ride in a Corsair. Are there any Corsair's that can take an additional person currently? and who would I contact to try and set a ride up? Thanks , Dust
Old 09-04-2005, 08:23 PM
Peter_OZ
Banned
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Corsair ride?

mate I'd be in that for sure! Now a Spit ride would be a dream.

i was at a mini airshow the other weekend and they had a T28 giving 20 min rides for $350 AUD, less the $300 USD. This indluded simulated low level napalm runs along some ridge lines and a low level beat up of the strip.

Sadly the wallet was kind of empty on the day [:@]

Caboolture airfield just up the road has a P51 and a 15 min ride is $650 or $1250 for 1/2 hour. one day maybe

Good luck finding a ride in an F4U.

cheers
Peter
Old 09-04-2005, 09:13 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

I don't know who to contact but I have seen a few Corsairs equipped to take a passenger. The only problem is they have to ride down in the fuse and look out of windows in the side. Unlike the Mustang conversions. I agree a full scale P-40 is a beutiful site.
Old 09-05-2005, 11:55 AM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

SVX, Planes of Fame in Chino, Ca offers warbird rides and they have a Corsair with a jump seat. I don't know if the Corsair is one of the birds they offer rides in but it's a place to start. Best of luck with it, Chad.

http://www.planesoffame.org/
Old 09-05-2005, 02:48 PM
daw
My Feedback: (6)

The Indiana Air Museum in Valparaiso, Indiana has a Corsair F4U-5N with a jump seat. They offer rides. They also have a P-51, AT-6, T34, T28, PT-17 and a L-2. They are located at the Porter County Airport near US 30 and State road 49, in northwest Indiana, about 45 miles from Chicago. http://www.in-am.org/
Old 09-08-2005, 12:06 PM
johnnylwhite
My Feedback: (17)

During WWII my father was stationed in the Marshall's as a crew cheif for a small group of Marine F4's. He always spoke of his ride with his pilot in a F4 on a patrol sweeping for Jap Infantry over-run on nearby islands....lol....he always snickered when he told this story....I never asked how he and the pilot did it but they somehow managed it! (Their nickname for my dad was "Swampy" as he was 5'-2" weighing in at 110 lbs....lol perhaps that is the ONLY reason he even fit in there!)
Old 09-09-2005, 01:24 AM
SVX

That's a neat story, thanks for posting. That's what I am kind of going for with my father cause I know every time he thought about it a smile would come to his face. Thanks for the info guys. The Planes of Fame in Chino would be easier to make happen for me however they do not list their Corsair as one available for rides. I might call them and beg to reconsider. If not then I am headed for Indiana. $1000 for a 30 minute ride and $1200 for airfare for two to get there.

Dust
Old 09-09-2005, 07:58 AM
johnnylwhite
My Feedback: (17)

Good luck Dust....I know what you are doing and it is a GOOD THING!
Right Before my father passed we drug him out to an air show a few miles away.....he really didnt want to go because of the heat and he was really struggling with his walking but he went and we were suprised to see a F4 fly in! We must have spent 2 hours walking around it...him showing me every hatch, every rivit!....I must say I never saw him so excited.....and when the F4 taxied by for its part of the show he stood up arched his back in strict MARINE attention and saluted it!....IT WAS WONDERFUL!!!!!

Johnny

Old 09-09-2005, 08:30 AM
Spad_man
My Feedback: (8)

SVX:

Did you take any pictures of the P-40 or others, if so could you share them?

Back in 1970 I rode in a P-51, in Moscow, ID. I can still feel it. Low passes over wheat fields and some rolls, and loops.

Good luck in finding your dad a ride.