Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

P-6E Curtis hawk (build thread)

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

P-6E Curtis hawk (build thread)

Old 02-06-2006, 07:40 PM
Bauer66

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: P-6E Curtis hawk (build thread)

I had trouble dryfitting the wings as well, On the lower wing i did some triming on the main and rear joiner. Top wing i noticed the wing would not lie flat. I repositioned the rear joiner and it settled right down. My wings assembled just fine with all struts fitting and alligning well. Bottom wing dihedral is critical make sure it rests on the Blocks as stated.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh14848.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	403317  
Old 02-06-2006, 07:50 PM
sseward
My Feedback: (1)

I followed the directions to a tee, which required me to sand the wing roots and work the joiner to achieve the desired 1/2" under the tips. The struts will fit, but the cabanes require a little tension to sit over top of the hardwood in the fuselage. My theory is that if you join the wing and use the increased dihedral, then the top wing will be a little higher making it a little easier to position the bottom of the cabanes on the hardwood. I say that now that mines built and there's no way to go back. I believe someone else here did this, but I'm not sure we ever heard how it worked out. I had mulled this over long and hard and ultimately decided to follow the instructions. Ultimately it works out ok, but we'll see if the tension on the struts is an issue!

Steve

ORIGINAL: mobyal

ORIGINAL: hookemut

ORIGINAL: Skinny Bob

I just started on my P-6E, had a little problem with both wings fitting at the root. Top wing was just a little off, the bottom wing was guite a bit off. Had to trim the top of the joiner 1/6" at ends from center to get the wing tips to lay down on the 1/2" blocks and get the proper dihedral. Anyone else run into this?. Bob
WRT the top wing, be sure that you try reversing the joiner top/bottom-there is a note in the manual to that effect.
WRT the bottom wing joiner-I did have the same problem and I also shaved the joiner ends. I think that getting the wing tips to the spacer blocks is really significant to later allowing the various struts to fit in.
From earlier posts, these problems seem common to this model.
I am just amazed in the degree of production planning that had to be done inorder that the many kits all go together really well. But boy, are there a lot of things to assemble-this kit is to me the ARF version of the TF Stinson (which I also built).
Jim

I've been following this forum, as I'm about to start assembly. Is the consensus here that the bottom wing joiner must be trimmed so that the wing tips rest on the 1/2" blocks when being joined in order for the struts to fit? I thought an earlier discussion on this topic reached the opposite conclusion -- build it as it's furnished, because if you trim to the 1/2" blocks the struts WON'T fit! Any comments on which is correct?
Thanks
Al Carr
Old 02-06-2006, 07:53 PM
sseward

Well, mine's all done! The on-board glow is installed, the Keleo exhaust mounted, so It's time to run in the RCV. I thougt I was going to do that yesterday and I found out my starter doesn't have enough "oomph" to turn over a cold, not-broke-in RCV 120-sp! So, when I return from my trip this week it's off to buy a hi-torque starter!

I promise...videos will be made of the RCV and the Keleo exhaust!

Steve
Old 02-06-2006, 08:02 PM
Bauer66

My Keleo Exhaust for the OS 120III pumped will be shipped out this week. Kelvin called me this morning and gave me the heads up. Cant wait to get it.

Semper Fi
Old 02-06-2006, 08:08 PM
CurtissHawkP6E

Wonder if the exhaust will change the sound?
Old 02-06-2006, 08:16 PM
Bauer66

Kelvin Indicated That he had some feedback regarding that, and that it made it sound like a multi cylinder. I Dunno, I figure if it does thats a Nice Bonus.

Semper Fi
Old 02-06-2006, 08:19 PM
Skinny Bob
My Feedback: (12)

Hey Guy's, thanks for your input. It realy helps. Skinny Bob
Old 02-06-2006, 09:21 PM
GaGeeBees
My Feedback: (23)

ORIGINAL: CurtissHawkP6E

Wonder if the exhaust will change the sound?
I have Kelvin's exhaust on my OS 1.20 III pumped. The sound definitely changes, and for the better. It does indeed sound like a multi-cylinder engine. Well worth doing.
Old 02-06-2006, 09:53 PM
MANFRED
My Feedback: (27)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kelvin did a custom fit for my YS-110. It looks awesome! Many piped wonder.
Old 02-06-2006, 10:21 PM
thevirginian

I tried to use the 1/2" blocks but they were too small. I would have needed at least 5/8" blocks for the dihydral that was built into the wingroots. I glued the winghalfs together as the were and, guess what, the struts fit absolutely perfectly in length and everything. You have some room to correct when it comes to fit the carbanes to the fuse and drill the four mounting holes. A little more dihydral does not hurt the airplans flying characteristics.
Old 02-06-2006, 10:28 PM
sseward

That's what I was guessing based on my wings. After adjusting to use the 1/2" blocks, I thought that if I'd just had glued them together than the cabanes would have been a lot easier to mount. I just don't want to tell anyone to not follow the instructions. Perhaps someone should ask GP to take a look at this. I know sometimes they put out change notices if they find errors, and this may be one!

Steve
ORIGINAL: thevirginian

I tried to use the 1/2" blocks but they were too small. I would have needed at least 5/8" blocks for the dihydral that was built into the wingroots. I glued the winghalfs together as the were and, guess what, the struts fit absolutely perfectly in length and everything. You have some room to correct when it comes to fit the carbanes to the fuse and drill the four mounting holes. A little more dihydral does not hurt the airplans flying characteristics.
Old 02-07-2006, 09:02 AM
GerKonig

I hope those using the scale Keolo exhaust let us know what happens with the disgusting slime of the exhaust. When the exhaust points down and away from the plane, it misses most of the plane. In the case of the short, high mounted, scale exhaust I wonder if all the oil of the exhaust will spray the fuse, wings, run down on the side of the cowling, etc...

Gerry

Old 02-07-2006, 10:59 AM
MANFRED
My Feedback: (27)

Just like a full scale you mean? They invented this new stuff that takes it off it's called windex.
Old 02-07-2006, 11:53 AM
GerKonig

Manfred, the mess 2 strokes and 4 strokes leave on our planes is not really scalelike:-) That's why many of us also use gas and electrics. When I run out of Windex I use a cleaner called 409 (not as chap as Widex) but it also cleans great. The question stands, maybe a Keolo scale exhaust user can shed some light on this.

Gerry
Old 02-07-2006, 01:50 PM
jiannliang
My Feedback: (17)

Had anyone try Saito 180 with slimline inverted pitts muffler with smoke? Will it fit totally under cowl or need a lot of trimming? I just ordered my P-6E and this is the engine combination I will use for my new bird.
Old 02-07-2006, 08:23 PM
GaGeeBees
My Feedback: (23)

ORIGINAL: MANFRED

Just like a full scale you mean? They invented this new stuff that takes it off it's called windex.
ROFL... I've heard of that stuff. What'll they think of next? Better living through the magic of chemistry I don't have any problem with the "disgusting slime". Comes right off.
Old 02-07-2006, 08:45 PM
GerKonig

OK, Manfred and GaGeBees both seem to have the scale exhaust. Keolo posted in this forum 2 different mufflers that would look good, one is the scale and the other is the pitts that would fit great also. I will be using a Saito 150, so I will have the choice of using either Keolo's exhausts. My question apparently will go unanswered, and believe me you, it is your right to answer or not a question in the forum. The question is not how to clean the oily residue, crappy slime (scale like for Manfred), or whatever you want to call it. My question obviously will go unanswered, thank you for your sneer, useless response gentleman.
Old 02-07-2006, 09:23 PM
mobyal

OK guys, thanks much for the info. Confirms earlier posts, I think. I think I'll just join the bottom wing halves as supplied in the kit and see what happens!
Al
Old 02-08-2006, 12:35 AM
sseward

Don't know that the Keleo exhaust you saw posted here will work for the Saito. Since the first example of the exhaust for the P-6e he built was for an RCV, he adapted the feed pipe for the RCV to a Pitts style just for that engine. I know Kelvin makes a Pitts style however, so you can do either and it should work fine. Since my RCV hasn't been run-in yet, I don't have an answer for the mess it may create. Once I have the engine mounted I will see what happens, but I'm anticipating some residue on the fuselage, but probably less than your average two stroke would make.

ORIGINAL: GerKonig

OK, Manfred and GaGeBees both seem to have the scale exhaust. Keolo posted in this forum 2 different mufflers that would look good, one is the scale and the other is the pitts that would fit great also. I will be using a Saito 150, so I will have the choice of using either Keolo's exhausts. My question apparently will go unanswered, and believe me you, it is your right to answer or not a question in the forum. The question is not how to clean the oily residue, crappy slime (scale like for Manfred), or whatever you want to call it. My question obviously will go unanswered, thank you for your sneer, useless response gentleman.
Old 02-08-2006, 01:04 AM
lownloud

would a G-38 work in this plane?

too much, too little? any ideas?

thanks, cool thread.
Old 02-08-2006, 07:32 AM
chaz1940

I'm using the RCV120-SP in my Hawk and would like to know has anyone built 1 1/4" stand offs for this engine and what was used to achieve this distance.
Old 02-08-2006, 08:05 AM
Blue Sky

Having read the whole of this thread yesterday I would recommend - with the greatest of respect - that you guys should do the same as there is a lot of useful info here. But to try and answer your Q's...

Lownloud:- I think you'll have to hack away a lot of cowl to fit a G38... it could possibly be too heavy and a little overpowered, but I think the overall size will be the main problem, especially if it has the flywheel/magneto electronics. The First Place FPE 1.3ci seems to be the biggest motor fitted so far and the G38 is much taller.

Chaz:- IIRC, one builder found some aluminium stand-offs from MacMaster-Carr... I think another guy used plywood to extend the firewall.
Old 02-08-2006, 12:07 PM
Blue Sky

Old 02-08-2006, 12:31 PM
laryboy
My Feedback: (2)

71 pounds of that price is the tax that your country puts on the import
Old 02-08-2006, 05:20 PM
Wile E
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: lownloud

would a G-38 work in this plane?

too much, too little? any ideas?

thanks, cool thread.
The weight of things (engine, ballast, ignition, exhaust, etc.) under the cowling of this aircraft should total around 40-42 ounces (O.S. 120 4-stroke plus 16 ounces of ballast). The FPE 1.3 and ROTO 25 both seem to meet this criteria. The G-38 is MUCH too much engine, even the G-26 weighs too much by a pound.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.