Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

P-6E Curtis hawk (build thread)

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

P-6E Curtis hawk (build thread)

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2005, 09:32 AM
SunShyne
My Feedback: (68)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: P-6E Curtis hawk (build thread)

I just bought a Hawk! After reading many posts here I am not sure if I have an engine that will be suitable. I have a YS 120 laying around that might work for this job.

I plan on Futaba 3010's all the way around. If weight becomes an issue ill get a LARGE rx battery and slap it on the nose like Dick did

Cant wait for it to arrive!

matt
Old 12-09-2005, 09:49 AM
sseward
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Now you guys are killing me! Just got back from a trip and my P-6e, the one I've had ordered since October, is sitting there still in the cardboard shipping box, and my wife says I can't have it until Christmas! I'm living vicariously through this thread!

I'm still torn between the RCV and the OS120FS. I have the OS, although it's on my GeeBee. I'm throwing my money down to the Keleo exhaust today, and since Kelvin's starting out with the RCV and I've always wanted to try it, I may go that route. I'm also using Futaba 3010's all around, and I plan on using a RAM on board glow. With the RCV's extra weight and the fact it has to me mounted out more it will be interesting to see how this effects the CG.

Keep up the posts guys I'll have some catching up to do!

Steve
Old 12-09-2005, 04:10 PM
splais
My Feedback: (25)

Well I just found the first really cheesy thing on the hawk. Guess it was to much to hope for the perfect ARF. It's that piece of plastic you have to cut out that goes around the base of the vertical stabilizer. Aside from the fact that just cutting it out was a complete pain. It fits terribly, looks like a cheap add-on and I haven't even tried to glue it on yet. After looking at it all, prospective-wize, I have started to make a balsa replacement per someone in a thread above.

I do have to say that this is the only thing I have found I didn't like, or didn't think looked good.

I hadn't stated before, but Great Planes design of the gear covers and wheel pants is absolutely ingenious. I rarely use wheelpants on any of my planes because they are such a pain. But these are the best thing I've ever seen in this area.

My engine odessy continues as I work through assembly.
Old 12-09-2005, 10:33 PM
splais

Not really hurrying on my hawk. But I do have a question for those done. In the manual it says to line up the interior cabanes with the hardward rails before drilling the holes. For the life of me I can't figure out just how I am suppose to know if they are lined up. My interior cabanes don't fit all that flat to the fuselage on one side. I sure don't want to drill a bunch of holes and then find out they are in the wrong place.

Couple of other questions. anybody know what the red arrow stickers are for on the cabane legs.

The instructions talk about installing the cockpit coaming. But the only thing in the kit was a piece of thick rubber hose that I don't think will even fit.

Old 12-10-2005, 12:56 AM
IronicRcAv8r
My Feedback: (21)

If you look inside the fuse on either side of the fuel tank you can see the hardwood they are refering to. The red arrows are supposed to point forward -- the Super Stearman had the same stickers. The black tube is supposed to be cut into section to fit the front lip of the cockpit -- the instructions say the tube was already split, but I had to slit mine down the center and then cut into sections that fit.
Old 12-10-2005, 09:13 AM
rowdyI

To locate the holes for the cabanes before you drill them stick straight pins where the wood blocks should be. This will help you locate then. The pt-17 instructions reccommended this. Worked well for me.

Sorry, IRONICRCAV8R Meant to respond to splais
Old 12-10-2005, 10:17 AM
splais

I got to recheck my cabanes, may have them on backwards because my arrows are pointing backwards[]. %&$%%*[>:] this really is a beautiful plane.

My engine seardch continues. I have been reading and hearing so much bad stuff about the couple of small gassers I was considering I can't separate fact from fictions. No matter how hard I try I keep having to come back to glow, yuck [:'(]
Old 12-10-2005, 02:41 PM
splais

Ironic,

Nope sorry either my stickers are wrong or you are mistaken. The manual says the short arm should go forward. The arrow stickers are on the long arm and there is no way to get the short arm forward and have those arrows point forward.

Thanks for the "pin" tip. worked great.
Old 12-10-2005, 02:43 PM
optech
My Feedback: (9)

Do you even still have any glow fuel???

Mike
Old 12-10-2005, 04:59 PM
IronicRcAv8r

Whoops I just went back and checked -- mine also point to the rear -- didn't pay too much attention to the arrows -- just went by the book and put the short leg forward. I just checked my super stearman and they do point forward -- go figure.
Old 12-10-2005, 07:45 PM
splais

Thats OK, I got the wings all mounted now and all I have to do is figure out what engine I want to use.

Has anyone put an inverted engine in this bird with a pitts muffler? I'm now doing measurments that indicate that oil cooler extension on the cowl may interfere with a pitts muffler.
Old 12-10-2005, 09:21 PM
sseward

Splais,
That's exactly what I was wondering (inverted Pitts). I've been going back and forth between the RCV 120 and an inverted OS 120 with Pitts. I have an OS, though it's on my GeeBee, and Once I get my hands on mine (It's wrapped and I won't see it till Christmas) I'm going to trial fit the OS and see what it looks like. I was going to by the slimline inverted FS muffler, but like you I was wondering how it would fit. It also looks like a hole has to be cut to clear the valve cover on the OS 120. Right now I'm leaning towards the RCV.

Steve
Old 12-10-2005, 09:38 PM
splais

I want to put smoke on mine. It's the prime reason I bout it. so I got to have that pitts. I looked at the RCV; but I refuse to have another engine that takes special fuel (10%) I don't use in anything else. Besides, I'm not even sure if you can put a pitts on the RCV.

The Hawk really is a beautiful plane; but that scale offset crank location does raise issues. For my use I would probably have been better off with the Super Stearman, but thats water under the bridge now. Since I already have a pitts smoke muffler for the MVVS I'm probably going to try it and just hack away what I have to hack away. You'll never see the cutouts airborne anyway.
Old 12-10-2005, 10:17 PM
sseward

If they hadn't come out with the P-6e I was gonna buy the GP Super Stearman and put the Slimline Pitts smoke muffler on it.

The P-6e is my favorite aircraft, so when they announced this thing I was all over it. I want to try and keep the lines as intact as possible, so I'll probably still aim to get the Stearman eventually. To many nice planes to choose from!
Old 12-11-2005, 11:24 PM
RC Flying Head

Just picked up my P-6E & Saito 180 from Danielle's Hobby. She's a beaut! Going with a Solo 3-Blade adjustable pitch prop on it. Anyone mounted a 180 yet. Pictures would be appreciated of a Saito 120 -180 mounted up.

Also, thinking about the Keleo Scale exhaust. Anyone have experience with keleo multi-exit exhaust on 4 stroke glow engines (Like the P-51 or P-40).

Just wonder about having enough back pressure. I guess it would be cool to have the scale exhaust built up with only limited numbers of tubes emitting exhaust.
Any thoughts on the above?
Thanks.....
Dudley
Old 12-12-2005, 01:08 AM
optech
My Feedback: (9)

On a fourstroke, you do not want any back pressure.

Mike
Old 12-12-2005, 06:12 PM
prophead

Hey guys, I can do the smoke you all are wanting and I can do a pitts style exhaust for the RCV engine. I got my P-6E and I must say it is one of the better looking arf's that I have seen.
I'm keeping an eye on you guys, grin.

Kelvin
Old 12-12-2005, 06:24 PM
IronicRcAv8r

Kelvin -- stop watching the forum and get that exhaust done --- LOL

I have about 1 and a half hours run time on the RCV and getting ready to mount it back to the plane and hope for good weather a few ebows and extensions and I think I can get the factory muffler out the back of the cowl without cutting anything-- Now all I need is the scale exhaust

Keep us updated on the progress !!!
Old 12-13-2005, 01:02 AM
MANFRED
My Feedback: (27)

I'll take one too.
Old 12-13-2005, 01:58 AM
sseward

Ironic....how's it balance with the RCV on front? I'm really leaning heavily towards the RCV, but It will be after Christmas before I decide.
Old 12-13-2005, 10:29 AM
splais

If you have finished your Hawk, what did it end up weighing? thanks.

Mt decision, for good or bad, is made and the Roto25 is ordered. Some time after Christmas I'll have some mounting pics. The smoke system is also going in. Smoke tank going in below (above, when upright) the servo tray. smoke pump and battery going above the fuel tank in front of the smoke tank.

My Hawk is done except waiting for engine. The only thing I changed was the tailwheel (Central Hobbies), swapped out recommended 1/2" center cabane screws for 3/4", and used titanium Pro-links on the ailerons.

I'm not to keen on plastic parts you have to cut out. But the Hawk comes out looking pretty good from anythin over 5' away. I did end up using the supplied tail faring and turtledeck hump. the exhausts come out pretty nice also. I glued all the plastic parts on with RC56 canopy glue. Works really well and dries clear so you don't see any screwups from too much glue. There are a lot of nice things about this ARF and the parts kit supplied by GP is well above the quality supplied by most companies. I didn't think I was going to like that carry handle they designed in, but it works really well and is nice for working on the plane. Just turn it over and set it down.
Old 12-13-2005, 02:59 PM
SunShyne
My Feedback: (68)

Kelvin any chance of getting your custom exhaust for my YS 120?

matt
Old 12-13-2005, 03:38 PM
Spad_man
My Feedback: (8)

Ironic,

How is your RCV SP 1.20 run, I will bet it's a smoother after 1 gallon of fuel. Mine is all broke in and is turning a 16.5X12 3 blade propeller at 5400 RPM. These are so cool.

Good luck with P-6E.
Old 12-13-2005, 05:47 PM
IronicRcAv8r

Mine balances with no added nose weight now after moving the throttle servo to the engine box, I am using a 4 cell sub C NiMH pack above the fuel tank all the way against the firewall, along with another sub C for my remote glow attached to the rx pack. I am not sure of the AUW, but will weigh it with a fellow flyers scale when I get it to the field.

The RCV runs better everytime I run it. I still have not attached it back to the airframe yet -- still running it on the bench. I am still using the 20 X 12, but will switch to 3 blade after installing on plane. I hope that weather cooperates this weekend -- if so I will have some flight pics and video.
Old 12-14-2005, 11:53 AM
prophead

Hey Diablokid, I can do the YS 120 no problemo. Hey Spad Man who makes the three bladed prop you are using? I want one. Boy it looks like Im going to busy with these exhaust systems, who woulda thought.

Kelvin

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.