Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

P-6E Curtis hawk (build thread)

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

P-6E Curtis hawk (build thread)

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2005, 12:04 PM
Spad_man
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: P-6E Curtis hawk (build thread)

There are 3 companys that I know of. I purchase mine from Desert Aircraft. It's a Bolly carbon fiber.

Bolly
Menz
Mejzlik

http://www.desertaircraft.com/index.php

Old 12-14-2005, 12:35 PM
mcarleno

One of these was at the field this morning. Wow did it look great! Had a G-26 (mostly in the cowl) and flew great on its maiden. For you'll getting ready to maiden, watch for nose over on takeoff. This bird's tail lifted up at about 5 Mph and she almost nosed over. Good pilot and the next takeoff was great!

You're going to have fun with this one.
Old 12-14-2005, 01:34 PM
prophead
My Feedback: (25)

Thanks Spad Man, Hey are you going to Puyallup this coming Febuary? I'll be there for what it's worth. Maybe see you there.

Kelvin
Old 12-14-2005, 01:36 PM
optech
My Feedback: (9)

Marc,

Thanks for the report. Any chance of getting some pics with that engine installed?

Thanks,
Mike
Old 12-14-2005, 02:55 PM
F4u5
My Feedback: (81)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just pciked mine up at the LHS. I think I am going to try and steel wool it and shoot a flat clear to reduce the shine, but overall, it does look to be a nice model. Going for a G23 install.
Old 12-14-2005, 03:38 PM
BradSD
My Feedback: (9)

Okay guys lets here a flight report, I have been lurking in this thread for weeks now.
Later,
Brad
Old 12-14-2005, 09:07 PM
Capt G

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Ok - I finally bit the bullet and ordered one. I have a new YS 1.20 in the box on the shelf for the last year. I guess a Graupner 15x10 3blade will look pretty good.
Old 12-16-2005, 08:16 PM
splais

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hasn't anyone FLOWN THE HAWK YET [>:] This thread is five pages long and no flight reports?[]

As I stagger along waiting for my engine to arrive here are a couple more pics of my setup. These are about my smoke setup. The Smoke Pump is in the nose above the fuel tank. That bottom tank is the smoke tank.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq47597.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	371186   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ol31543.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	371187  
Old 12-16-2005, 08:21 PM
SunShyne
My Feedback: (68)

thanks for the update splais. I am considering smoke as well but am not sure whats the best way to do it with a YS 120. They make a smoke muffler for the YS line?

matt
Old 12-16-2005, 08:27 PM
splais

matt,

A couple of companies make smoke mufflers for the YS engines. But you will nee to be careful. As big as the plane is there are few options for placing a smoke tank. What I did was the best(easiest) I could come up with. A YS engine weighs the same as an OS engine. Since this plane generally may require nose weight with a 1.20 glow engine it will be hard to get the tank weight on or forward of the CG. I think I will not have a problem because I'm putting a gas engine on her that weighs more. X That ex is for crossed fingers
Old 12-17-2005, 07:45 AM
Baroncowboy
My Feedback: (1)

Hello all,
Ive been carefully decideing what plane I wanted to buy the first of this year,and I have decided that this would be the one....
I have a few questions to ask though....
I want to maintain scale as much as possible,however Im famos for over powering my models with big ol' 4-strokes that can swing a large prop...So the question is,how bigga engine can I fit in er without cutting it all to hell?...By the way,it'll more than likely be a Saito GK,as I feel this would be the perfect compliment for the plane,since it sorta matches the color sceme anyhow...Maybe a 150,or is this a little overboard?...I would like to be able to swing the longest three blade possible so it gets the cowl clearance it should have...So another question is,whats the largest blade I can get onto a S125,or 150?...I figured Id shoot for a wide low pitch blade in hopes of getting the longest possible blades and a slower torque'yer pull like the 3-D guys shoot for...
I checked in on the SOLO variable pitch props,but I can't find where to price em,and what they'll fit,ect... I hope you guys get some pics of your hawks posted soon,I cant wait to see one with a three blade setup.... Thanks alot... Josh
Old 12-17-2005, 10:53 AM
splais

The distance from crankshaft to ground when the plane is level with wheels on the grouind is approximately 12" with the stock wheel size.

Look at mounting pics for the OS1.20 in the manual (on line). You will have to cut some out no matter what, but the 1.20-1.80 Saito pretty much take up the same space. the plane has a scale "below center" crank location that gives about 3.5-4" of in-cowl space for an engine mounted inverted.

Until I decided I was going gas no matter what; I was going to put a YS1.40 on her. The plane is well made and probably take any 4-stroke you want.
Old 12-17-2005, 12:01 PM
Baroncowboy

Well,with some carefull thinking I figured I'll go with the Saito 150GK, it should pull her around pretty good,prolly no power house,but who needs that anyways,when you fly scale planes scale?.... So if anyone knows anything about those SOLO props,Id love to hear from ya...
I dont know prices,or what they fit.... If anyone knows if they'll fit a Saito 150 pretty well,that would be really all I need to know... Hope to see more outa this forum post...Seems to be slower than I would have thought.... Adios, Josh
Old 12-18-2005, 03:12 AM
Baroncowboy

Alright fellas,
I bought the plane last night,with a saito 150GK... Now finnaly I can get some flying shots in to you,and give a basic report of how well she flys... Just gotta give me a few days to get her in the mail,and I'll have it ready by that evening,and in the air the next day... I took me about a day's worth of time till I had the Focker DR1 finished up right,so this one should actualy go together pretty quick I hope...

Oh and one more question.... I have never ran 3-blade props before,so I was wondering if someone could give a rough guide of how I choose the right size for my Saito 150... Does it still go by say expl...If the engine called for a 16x8 prop,then would the three blade it called for be still called a 16x8x3,or is there a reduction in size in compensation for the extra blade?...Hope you understand what Im tring to say,and more later.... Josh
Old 12-18-2005, 08:49 AM
sseward

Josh,
The Saito 150 should be more than enough. I was going OS 120FS or RCV, and now have commited to the RCV 120 SP to keep from hacking up the cowl.

Yesterday I ordered two APC 15.75x13 three blade props to go with the engine, and I'm going to my LHS to get the RCV this week. I'm not sure what kind of 3-blade to use with the Saito, but I'll be that Saito has recommendations. The RCV will turn a bigger diameter because it's geared 2:1. This will be my first Non-OS engine, but I've always wanted to try the RCV.

My plane is wrapped and standing in the corner so I'll be building after Christmas. I feel like I'm behind the curve here and it's driving me nuts!

Keleo is going to make a scale exhaust for this plane and he's going to do versions for RCV and others. I plan on getting one as soon as their done.

Steve
Old 12-18-2005, 09:05 AM
Capt G

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

The rule of thumb is- one inch smaller diameter with the same pitch for 3 blades.
Old 12-19-2005, 03:28 AM
Baroncowboy

Alright,thanks all... That should take care of the engine and the prop questions...
I just wish that I could find a prop size chart for my engine before it gets here.... I dont even know if Saito has a recomended 3-blade chart anyways,and unfortunatly www.saitoengines.com is just a directory to the distributor,"horizon hobby" for some reason and it only says my engine calls for a 16x8 to a 18x6 two blade prop....
I found on my old saito 82,that it needed the largest prop recomendation or one size larger to make full use of its torque on my GP Fokker DR1... Must be the sea level Im at or something....
I live right at 1,350' SL... Im not sure if thats what makes the difference here in the Shenandoah Valley on what not... So anyhow,I bought a Master Airscrew "Classic series" 18x6 to test the first flights with...Later on I plan to buy a SOLO 3 blade hub... I hope to get the black composite blades they just released... Should look awesome with some"Hamilton" stickers on the blades...
To top it all off,Im hopeing "keleocast" has that custom exhaust ready soon,cause if he makes one that'll fit a Saito 150,one of his pipes already has my name on it.... Now,only if Fema made an in-cowl starter to fit the Saito 150... Haha,getting a little carried away now,and a little nose heavy to!!!..I'll just be all smiles once this thing is in the air... Im just excited,as my wife is the one who bought me this plane and engine,so I actually have some extra dough to blow on accesorys for once... I guess I owe her some major browny points huh?!!! And amazingly she let me have it before Christmas so I could post on it in here!!!
Anyhow I plan on posting pics when I fly it,but Im concidering posting videos aswell,but havent ever done this... I understand how to get a video on the pc,but I dont know where to post it... Is there any free video links that any of you guys know about,that I can post em to? It would be awesome to be able to give you fellas a video post URL,and then it would eliminate the "how does it fly?" question in this post once and for all...
Maiden flights can be a little hair raising some times,and prolly worse under the video lens,but if it flys as beutifully and easy as my Fokker did,Im not fretting her much at all really... Great Planes undeniably has made some of the most fun and best flying planes Ive ever owned...
Their ARF's have come a long way,and seem to only be getting better...Hope they keep it up!

PS. Does this bird come with any guage stickers?...If it doesnt I plan to buy a sheet for the heck of it... I know it doesnt have a full cockpit,but it makes em look better never the less...
Old 12-19-2005, 04:59 AM
Countryboy

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can post your video here.

http://www.putfile.com/
Old 12-19-2005, 10:14 AM
Baroncowboy

What do you guys think about Perry Pumps??? I like the idea of being able to regulate my fuel better,seeing how its gonna be an inverted engine setup...
Im trying to decide which to buy though... Theres the "P-30 Regulating pump",and the 4-Stroke specific "P-20" that operates off of vibration... Sounds like a simple choice I thought....Wrong! Acording to some people,Im being told that they like their P-30 regulating pumps even on their 4 strokes,and then theres others saying that I should buy the P-20 as its intended for 4-strokes... What do you guys think? Which one do you think is better,and why???
Im confused to the point to where Im just gonna let it ride for a while till I can get enough reasons to go one way or the other... Josh

Name:	By76270.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	372650   Click image for larger version

Name:	To43686.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	372651  
Old 12-19-2005, 10:56 AM
ZZ

ORIGINAL: Baroncowboy

What do you guys think about Perry Pumps??? I like the idea of being able to regulate my fuel better,seeing how its gonna be an inverted engine setup...
Im trying to decide which to buy though... Theres the "P-30 Regulating pump",and the 4-Stroke specific "P-20" that operates off of vibration... Sounds like a simple choice I thought....Wrong! Acording to some people,Im being told that they like their P-30 regulating pumps even on their 4 strokes,and then theres others saying that I should buy the P-20 as its intended for 4-strokes... What do you guys think? Which one do you think is better,and why???
Im confused to the point to where Im just gonna let it ride for a while till I can get enough reasons to go one way or the other... Josh
I personally prefer the Iron Bay regulator over the Perry regulator's. Best on the market IMHO !

http://www.ironbaymodelcompany.com/W...or%20Main.html
Old 12-19-2005, 11:56 AM
Baroncowboy

That Iron Bay looks pretty neat...
What exactly is it doing different than the perrys, that makes it a better choice?? It looks lie its higher quality,but Im new to pumps all together so I cant make an opinion on it!
How do you mount this one?
Old 12-19-2005, 12:09 PM
carlbecker
My Feedback: (3)

I use the VP-20 shaker with my Saito 180. So far it works fine. I have read about using the VP-30 through the crankcase vent on four strokes. I will be using the VP-30 on my 2 stroke OS 160. The Cline system works great on 2 strokes. Had one on my Moki 1.8.

IMHO you should use the shaker on a four stroke. Better chance of success.

Carl
Old 12-19-2005, 10:28 PM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

Hey Steve,

Let me know when you get it assembled and plan to maiden it. I'll bring my video camera. I'm an amatuer, but I have a tripod.
Old 12-20-2005, 06:48 AM
Countryboy

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Perhaps you can make your decision on which pump to use from the info found in the below link.

http://saito-engines.info/body_pumps.html

A friend of mine has used the Iron Bay regulator with very good results....but that was however in a 2 stroke application. My own experience with the Saito 150's without the use of regulators/pumps has been very good. I have yet to have a deadstick or fuel draw problem, and transition through low, mid, and high ranges has been excellent. I have had the engines mounted both inverted & side mounted with the same results.

Attached is a pic of my friends scratch built 757-200 that the Iron Bay regulators are used in. They have worked very reliably every time.

Name:	Ec88072.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	210.4 KB
ID:	373140  
Old 12-20-2005, 08:44 AM
splais

P-51B, which "Steve" are you talking about? Me (splais)? If it's me, who are you[]

PS: I hope to get my engine in the next day or two and fly her over New Years weekend.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.