Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

P-6E Curtis hawk (build thread)

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

P-6E Curtis hawk (build thread)

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2007, 09:10 PM
Slviper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: P-6E Curtis hawk (build thread)

I fly the Hawk with a Saito 180 it is a great match and can not imagine needing more power it is boderline overkill but allows use of a more scale 3 blade. Sound great and stock exhaust exits the lower cowl leaving no messy clean up. Not as thirsty as my 220 either.
Steve
Old 12-30-2007, 10:04 AM
Heli-NuBee

Slviper, what three blade prop do you use on the Saito 180?

Thanks,

Heli-NuBee (Roger)
Old 12-30-2007, 10:52 AM
Slviper

MAS 15x7 3 breaking in
going to put on MAS 16x8 3
Old 12-30-2007, 11:46 AM
Heli-NuBee

Thanks Slviper, I'll give the Saito 180 some serious consideration. I am planning to run the MA 15x7 3-blade prop on my Zenoah 20ei engine installed in a Hanger 9 Corsair.

Thanks again for your input.

Heli-NuBee (Roger)
Old 01-01-2008, 12:00 PM
tyler2

I'm interested in this plane as a first gasser. Any thoughts on a G20ei would be most welcome.

Thank-you,

Dave
Old 01-01-2008, 10:53 PM
Heli-NuBee

Hello Slviper, you smooth talkin' devil. You talked me into it, I just ordered a Saito 180 to power my new Curtiss P-6E Hawk. I'm sure that I will be happy with it. Can you tell me how long I can expect to fly the 180 on a stock tank of fuel?

Thanks for your input.

Best wishes, Happy New Year and good safe flying.

Heli-NuBee (Roger)
Old 01-01-2008, 11:12 PM
Goldfinger41

From what research I have done the 20 will be a lil underpowered, It will probably fly it , with no wind.

You might be better with a 26.

I am still building mine and useing a Roto 25.

Good Luck
Old 01-01-2008, 11:43 PM
smudgeboss

Metaldriver, am I to understand from post 1131 on the RC Universe forum that you are flying your hawk with a Supertigre 90 2 cycle? I am interested. I got the plane for Christmas and have a new 90 waiting for a plane. If you find it to be a good match let me know. How about a flight report. No unlimited verticle is okay, but does it have enough oomph to save my pilot's skin in a tough spot?
Old 01-02-2008, 01:23 AM
MONO 90A

Wow. Now that's along build thread! I have a question for the hobbiests who have completed this plane. Can a 1.10 size 2-stroke mount well sideways.... I mean, will the cowl suffer from alot of "skin removal" and lose its scale look?

Please let me know.

Thanks,
JD
Old 01-02-2008, 09:11 AM
Slviper

The Saito is a great choice IMHO. Flights will be 12-14 Mins with mixed throttle settings, Hawk will cruise around scale at 3 - 4 clicks.
Bench tests say the 180 can use 16 oz in 8 minutes if you run wide open.
Enjoy!
Steve
Old 01-05-2008, 09:21 PM
Bob Paris
My Feedback: (13)

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Happy New years overyone... : )
I just received an e-mail from Tower, that my model is now inbound to me. I ordered the Keleo scale exhaust by e-mail today, and now want to order the Solo scale prop.

I'm not sure what size prop I will need. I believe the round tip blades will be the ones I want to order, but I'm not sure what size prop for the three blade hub to order. Should I order the 16" or 18" props for the Evo 26 ? This is my first gas engine, and I have no idea what three blade prop would be best for this engine/airframe combination.

Any help or advice would be most welcome. I'm considering the 16" rounded tip blades for the three blade hub and would like to know if this is the right compination to use.

Not so skinny Bob...
Soft landings always,
Bobby of Maui
Old 01-06-2008, 10:29 AM
Skinny Bob
My Feedback: (12)

Dave, I have a 25cc gasser in my P-6E and it flies her quite scale like.
Old 01-06-2008, 11:11 PM
Wile E
My Feedback: (2)

I run my Saito 1.80 with a 3 blade Master Airscrew 16 x 8. She weighs 22 lbs on floats and still flies quite nicely at half throttle. 10 minute flights with taxi out and back on the water are easily done with the stock tank.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz77826.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	844478   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa86055.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	844479  
Old 01-11-2008, 01:35 AM
kochj

ORIGINAL: Bob Paris

now want to order the Solo scale prop.

I'm not sure what size prop I will need. I believe the round tip blades will be the ones I want to order, but I'm not sure what size prop for the three blade hub to order. Should I order the 16" or 18" props for the Evo 26 ?

Any help or advice would be most welcome. I
Bobby of Maui

I think that any 26cc gasser and a 3-blade solo prop would not work out to having much for anything but flying in a strait line and a few turns now and then....
Splias has already tried that set up and he said that the 3-blade was too much for the 26cc gasser...... You would need a 40cc to give you the extra poop.... went
coupled to the 3-blade scale prop...... (scale prop from solo is much dif than the average joe airscrew dime a dozens) I would go with the 2-blade solo.... it will still look stuning!
the 3-blade solo prop is a real beut, I know...... but you would need more power to swing that 3-blade scale prop!
I picked up my ZDZ40F3A engine for that reason.... Light as a 26cc gasser with twice the displacement. But I think I will be going a dif direction....
Don't beleave me? The proof is in the puding !

Justin
Old 01-11-2008, 06:26 PM
Bob Paris

Hay kochj,
Thanks for the information. I must admit...and tell you that I mainly bought the scale Solo prop for show. It would be nice if it would fly with it...but it's ok if its just for show. The Solo Porp is a work of art. I planned on using what ever two bladed prop worked best for flying. This is such a big and beautiful biplane...I had to do it justice and have a near scale show propeller.

I did order six 16" blades, the three bladed hug, instilation kit and dome. It wasn't cheap...mailed to Hawaii, a bit more. I promise to post the pictures of the build. I also have a Keleo scale exaust w/smoke coming, for the Evo 26.

What wood size two bladed prop would you recomend for the Evo 26 ?

Soft Landings always,
Bobby of Maui
Old 01-14-2008, 12:49 AM
Bob Paris

Hay guys...
I just received my kit. I was very surprised to see that Tower shipped it next day air...to Hawaii, free. Being a club member just paid serious dividens to me. The kit is beautiful, and a near perfect covering job. The box is huge... : ) ... and the model made it to my home for $185.00 delivered. Now that was nice. I bought the Solo prop, scale exhaust and Evo 26. I considered the ZDZ 40...but I didn't want to over power the model that much. Maybe later...but not for now. This is an excellent...but long build thread with lots of good information.

I ordered 16x8, 16x10, 17x8 and 18x8 Master Airscrew Scimitar wood props for my Evo 26. I'm not sure which one will work best, so I'm going to try them all until I find the prop that pulls the best. These will be my fly props for the P-6E.

Does anyone know the prop shaft size of the Evo 26. I need to order a scale (if I can find one) hub for my flying props that will give the model a nice look while flying.

I'm thinking of pull/pull for rudder and elevator...what do you guys think of this...and if you think its a good idea...what size pull/pull wires to use ?

This is my first large gas airplane...so I can use all the good info you guys might have?

Soft landings always,
Bobby of Maui
Old 01-27-2008, 07:24 PM
Dmcm111

[8D]hello my name is mike, and I have a hawk too. Now I am interested in adding a smoke system to this baby and I could appreciate any how tos here via personal experiences. This goes for the product mfgr. as well. As I also intend on employing a saito 100 and a 14 x 8 prop. I am open to hearing any pros or cons reguarding the use of an onboard glow system, programable of coarse. Also I am hoping that I can use one of those 90 degree fittings to keep the exhaust muffler within the cowling and exit straight out the back, there is room. Again any input here will be appreciated ,and thank you.
Old 01-29-2008, 11:13 PM
kochj

Great to hear BP!....
I am sure that you will like the set up with the evo 26!...
I too love the Solo props! Real beuts....
I still do not know what I am going to do with a power placement.....
I want a 4-stroke twin but not sure that I want to spend 700+ $ for the saito 200ti.....
I considered getting a 160 twin magnum and mounting it Horrizontal, but I know that you get what you pay for and it will not compare to the "JEWLRY quality that a O.S Gemini 1.60 twin would have.... BUt if I where to go that way, I might as well get the 20TI as it will fit better in this application.....
Not sure, I have 2-new cowls for this plane....
I might pick up a BIG 3-blade sclae prop and give it a run with the ZDZ40 and see....
Otherwise, I will most likely go with the twin saito.....
I will be placing a 5-cyl radial Saito on a biplane somtime soon, so I really would perfire this plane to have a nice twin 4-banger in it as well..
Decisons Desicions.....
I will quit talking..... Sorry about the rattiling on and on about this......

By the way, Wile E,
I love the Picts of the Hawk on FLoats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-29-2008, 11:15 PM
kochj

Nice thing about having obn-board-glow is that you can run the plane with just Glow to the flight line!.....
Just as if you had a gasoline engine!!!
COns, you have to recharge that bat for the ignition!!!
Old 01-30-2008, 02:29 PM
tlroliff
My Feedback: (38)

There is a new product out called "SwitchGlow" that I am thinking of trying. It is an on-board glow system that does not require a seperate battery. It runs off your flight battery and you just need to size it accordingly. Sounds promising. Check it out at [link=http://www.switchglow.com]SwitchGlow[/link]
Old 02-06-2008, 01:12 AM
kochj

Thank you for the tip.....

The issue with that is price.......
It is bassically a switch for glow power.... Plus a few safe guards

I would think that you could do the same thing by running a y-harness to a switch, witch is activated by a mircoswitch, and then to a
Regulator, and then to the GLow plug?
Operhaps you would have to run the neg wire to it as well?

If the price were more affordable I would pick it up.....
35-40$ sounds more reasonable

Justin
Old 02-06-2008, 08:22 PM
manxtt
My Feedback: (2)

Ricomari
The word you need is subterrainiously
Old 02-06-2008, 09:17 PM
ricomari

Manxtt: Thanks, but we both got it wrong. The correct spelling is subterraneously per Webster's dictionary. Thanks for the lesson!
Old 02-06-2008, 10:57 PM
ANZAC

Hi Guys, I dont know if this thread is still going, it is so long! What I would like to know about this plane is this, does this hawk need differential on the ailerons, if so how much?Also does she need rudder mixed in with the ailerons on turns, if so how much for this? Regards Col
Old 02-07-2008, 03:46 PM
Bob Paris

Hi Guys,
I've decided a while ago to go with a second battery to power my glow driver on my models that have a glow driver installed. I am a little concerned that using the receiver battery for any other use then direct control of the aircraft is a risk. I ran a smoke pump of the receiceiver battery once...and when the pump locked up and stalled...I ended up losing a great model. I'm not sure it you would ever have this kind of issue with this glow driver, but I would want to make sure my Nicad or what ever power sourse I used to power my receiver and model electronics was at least double the power needed for all operations. The model is large enough to carry the added weight of a second battery with ease, and what I would use. Glow drivers can use up a lot of energy...
Soft Landings always,
Bobby of Maui

P.S. I'm stil waiting for my Solo Prop, and scale exhaust to arrive, to start this project.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.