Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

P-6E Curtis hawk (build thread)

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

P-6E Curtis hawk (build thread)

Old 12-23-2005, 09:43 AM
sseward
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: P-6E Curtis hawk (build thread)

Great! That's what I was hoping. I have an extra RAM glow driver I'm going to mount as well and I had figured on putting that pretty far forward. Since I'm hoping everything I need for mine will be here next week. I ordered tha APC 3-blade props and they should be here as well as the radio flight pack gear.

Steve
Old 12-23-2005, 06:38 PM
SunShyne
My Feedback: (68)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok guys, I think I will go with Futaba 3010's on this one all the way around. Got my YS already and now need to order servos next week

matt
Old 12-23-2005, 07:09 PM
Capt G
My Feedback: (8)

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Diablo - what sort of muffler are you going to use on your YS?
Old 12-23-2005, 07:17 PM
sseward

Matt,
I'm using 3010's for everything except throttle. I had a few 3004's lying around so I didn't see the need to buy a new 3010. When you get the YS mounted make sure to post a picture!

Steve
Old 12-23-2005, 09:09 PM
aircowboy
My Feedback: (10)

Here is a picture of my Saito 125 install. Sorry for the bad picture. I will post better ones later. My control surfaces are also removeable for future repairs. I simply intalled pinned hinges, but removed the pins and replaced them with a single piece of .047 rod with a screww securing it at one end. To remove the control surface, I simply remove the screw and slide the rod out. The piece of black rubber tubing sticking out the side of the cowl is my high end needle adjustment. I will post more pictures soon.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki19400.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	374831   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf99898.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	374832  
Old 12-24-2005, 10:38 AM
speedpro 1

aircowboy how did your balance come out with lite weight 125
Old 12-24-2005, 03:11 PM
SunShyne

ORIGINAL: Capt G

Diablo - what sort of muffler are you going to use on your YS?
I am still contemplating what to do with that. Maybe a 90 degree elbow from Perf Spec? I dont know how much that muffler will stick ou the bottom but its better than hanging out the side, would you agree?

I am new to running flex pipe and headers and such so I would like to hear/see suggestions for a header/flex pipe combo that might work. I guess the point of this excersize is to hide the muffler as best we can as not to distracr from its beautiful lines

Steve I will take pics for sure and share once I get servos sorted out. How are things over at PWRC? I am at the Farm Club for the time being.

matt

Old 12-24-2005, 04:54 PM
GaGeeBees
My Feedback: (23)

First flight today - no better way to spend Christmas Eve! Mine is powered by an OS 120 III, pumped and swinging a 14 x 7 three blade prop. All Hitec radio gear. I always like to do a couple of high speed taxis before takeoff on first flight and tried to do that with this one too but the tail jumped up right away and it broke ground at 1/4 throttle! This thing is a total creampuff. Flies straight and true and does whatever you ask it. Loops are as large as you want them, rolls are smooth and axial, inverted flight takes just a touch of down. The ailerons handle the plane with authority and rudder coupling was not necessary. Landing is a non-event. Just keep the power on until you reach the runway, chop the throttle and let it float in. The airplane will slow to an absolute crawl and still fly. This is one big, beautiful bird and it flies even better than it looks.

Name:	Nl29311.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	375133   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hd94681.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	375134  
Old 12-24-2005, 04:57 PM
GaGeeBees

Couple more pix

Name:	Zw69722.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	375135   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu64026.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	375136  
Old 12-24-2005, 07:00 PM
SunShyne

Nice pix GeeBees. I am now wondering if a 3 blade prop might be in the future for my YS 120

hmm...

matt
Old 12-24-2005, 07:09 PM
sseward

GaGeeBee....Thanks for the flight report! After Weeks of walking by that big wrapped box, I get to open mine tomorrow morning! Who says Christmas is just for kids?

Got my RCV Thursday, and today my servos and radio gear came from Tower! All I need now is that custom KELEO exhaust! With the RCV I figure I can use the stock muffler until Kelvin gets the custom system done.

Maybe I should go to bed now so the morning gets here sooner!

Steve
Old 12-24-2005, 07:24 PM
ramcfarland
My Feedback: (44)

Indeed a fine bipe you have there I'm enthused to say the least !!! I was sold on my FIRST ARF the P.W. Extra quality,build over all handling and now Great Planes has the one of a kind P-6E,thats way cool AND if it that handles as you described your's using the O.S. 120W/pump powering your model of the good looking Curtis Hawk-->Like wow......."I'LL take one .....woops no money......to be continued[sm=lol.gif]
Old 12-24-2005, 08:17 PM
Capt G
My Feedback: (8)

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Excellant - any flight pics? Just got my wings joined. Any tips for later construction steps?
Old 12-24-2005, 08:43 PM
MANFRED
My Feedback: (27)

Started mine, will be using a YS-110, should power her just fine. Will wait for one of Kelvin's EX systems fro that cool look and sound. Perfect pilot 1/5th pilot on order. Precise kit, everything goes together well so far.
Old 12-25-2005, 11:52 AM
sseward

Ok Guys, after weeks of looking at that big, wrapped box, I opened it this morning! It looks really good, but I did discover some minor shipping damage. Despite their efforts, the tail post is shipped inside the cowl, bubble wrapped, but their must have been enough of a jolt to give the cowl a good whack, the the paint on the cowl just above the prop shaft opening cracked. No damage to the fiberglass inside, just seem to have done a little cracking on the paint. I believe the number "40" decal will cover it and the paint is not flaking off, at least not yet. What to you think...fix it, or see if GP will replace it? I've attached a pic, which by the way was very tough to get because the shiney paint is tough to take without a glare!

I'm going back and forth because I don't want to wait any longer and I think I could fix this.

Steve

Name:	Fc90303.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	35.4 KB
ID:	375440   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ro41726.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	35.4 KB
ID:	375441  
Old 12-25-2005, 12:49 PM
chasrb

Go ahead and fix it Steve, you could turn it into some weathering effect
Old 12-25-2005, 01:16 PM
GaGeeBees

I'd fix it if it were mine, particularly after waiting so long to get started. I'd also email the photos to Great Planes and see if they'll send you a new cowl. I had a similar situation with my Pacific Aeromodels Gee Bee Y and they sent a brand new cowl out based on a telephone conversation alone. Didn't ask me to return the damaged cowl or anything. Excellent service. My dealings with Great Planes have all been exceedingly positive as well.
Old 12-25-2005, 01:34 PM
sseward

Thanks for the input. I did a pretty thourough examination and it's right were the decal goes and the paint seems to still be attached. I'm gonna call GP and see what they say. I have time before I get to the cowl anyway.

Steve
Old 12-25-2005, 02:53 PM
dannafinance
My Feedback: (32)

Anyone have a 91 4 stroke on one of these. Just curious...I have one I am not using and would like to have one of these planes, but do not want to buy a new engine.
Old 12-25-2005, 03:05 PM
sseward

It would be curious to see how it would do with a .91. One other observation. I was just looking at the cowling and one reason I went RCV was to minimize cutting to the cowl because all the 4-strokes I've seen have been mounted inverted with the valve cover hanging out the bottom. It occured to me that you could mount the engine upright if Keleo makes the header to fit it that way. The crank is low centered and it looks like the engine would fit better this way. Without a custom exhaust though you'd need to cut a hole for the muffler in a really bad spot. If you used one of the OS inside cowl headers and a flex pipe you could possibly route the exhauset down and around cause there's a lot of room inside this thing.

I have both an OS120 w/pump and the RCV, so I may play around with it and see what I can come up with.

Steve
Old 12-25-2005, 03:41 PM
splais
My Feedback: (25)

Steve, there is another proble with that upright mounting. I also looked at it, but could find no way to get adequate cooling, especially with our weather here.

The other Steve
Old 12-25-2005, 06:15 PM
sseward

I'm going to open up the air intake in the top of the cowl, even though it's not that big it will help. I've been working on the wings today, but I still can't believe how well built this thing is. I took a good hard look at how the firewall is built and I've never seen another plane with the firewall integrated into the frame the way this one is.

I'm still a bit concerned about cooling anyway, especially with the RCV. I'll have to wait until I get the cowling situation decided before I tackle this anyway.

Now....back to the workshop!

Steve #2
Old 12-25-2005, 06:47 PM
GaGeeBees

Based on how mine flew, I'd say a .91 four stroke would fly it very well. My 1.20 will fly it easily at far less than half throttle. The only down side that I see to using a .91 is that you'll have to add more ballast to the nose to get it to balance.
Old 12-25-2005, 09:15 PM
chasrb

So Steve can you fly it under the south wires and come out with both wings?

..still working on the Stearman....
Old 12-25-2005, 09:15 PM
sseward

Ok, all you RCV guys out there. Did you use the RCV backplate? Looks like to use it you have to cut some of the ply behind the firewall to work it in since it's one piece. Should'nt be a big deal. With some careful measuring it looks like a standoff of 1-1/8" to 1-1/4" will have to me made, and this presents another issue. The set in blind nuts in the RCV back plate are a metric thread, and given the firewall is 10mm thick and I'm using a big standoff, I'll need some longer bolts. I don't know that I've ever seen metrics that long. Might be off to Home Depot! If not, Plan B is to knock out the press in blind nuts and see if I can find some that are #8-32.

Anyway....Wings are joined! I still think this one is much better built than other ARFs I've assembled in the past.

Steve

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.