Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

P-6E Curtis hawk (build thread)

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

P-6E Curtis hawk (build thread)

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2020, 01:11 PM
nomorelogin

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is my maiden flight

The following users liked this post:
apereira (07-26-2023)
Old 11-13-2020, 01:22 PM
SunShyne
My Feedback: (68)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nomorelogin
Here is my maiden flight

https://youtu.be/DNGRA8-MbRc

Great flight! Really cool seeing it electric. Bravo
nomorelogin (11-13-2020)
Old 11-13-2020, 02:53 PM
bufordbob

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default First flight of P6E

Wow,tremendus flight,looks like you had complete control. She flies great doesnt she? One of the nicest scale planes I have ever experienced.I just completed a little refurbishing and a radio system change, was using JR 10X on old frequencies now using Spektrum on 2.4.
Once again congratulations I am sure you are in the clouds as I was.

Bufordbob
Bob
Old 11-14-2020, 05:30 AM
nomorelogin

Originally Posted by SunShyne
Great flight! Really cool seeing it electric. Bravo
Thanks! Honestly, there are more assembly/disassembly rather then real flight. Because I've forgot to hit record button on camera when was flying second battery pack
And yes, electric is simple as plug-n-fly (compared to glow )

Originally Posted by bufordbob
Wow,tremendus flight,looks like you had complete control. She flies great doesnt she? One of the nicest scale planes I have ever experienced.I just completed a little refurbishing and a radio system change, was using JR 10X on old frequencies now using Spektrum on 2.4.
Once again congratulations I am sure you are in the clouds as I was.
Bufordbob
Bob
Thanks again! Yep, this birdy is very easygoing. I can compare her with my two others - Thunderbolt P-47D an Cirrus SR22-T, she flies almost by herself.
I'm using Hitec Aurora 9 2.4 with all my models, but I think, Spectrum is just as good as Hitec.
So, have a fair winds! (or is this phrase useful for sailing not flying? )
Old 11-14-2020, 02:33 PM
bufordbob

nomorelogin
Very interested in your battery hatch on the bottom of the cowl,would it be possible to see some pictures with it off? Right now I have to take off the complete cowl in order to place the battery on the shelf that I built..
Once again Congratulations.
What will your next bird be ?
Old 11-15-2020, 01:14 AM
nomorelogin

bufordbob I have a USA Balsa Citabria Kit awaiting to be assembled. But don't know when it will happens
As for the hatch, here are some pictures from building process. I'm not a "truly scale modeler", so there is some mess in final result

Some markings for cutting

Some markings for cutting

Just printed battery support (PETG)

Installed battery support

Installed battery support

Cutted hatch

Hatch in place

Opened hatch

There are three neodymium magnets, glued to hatch

inner space

Battery in place
Old 12-03-2020, 01:28 PM
nomorelogin

Another video of this beautiful biplane:
Old 12-04-2020, 06:09 PM
bufordbob

Wonderful videos,of your P6E,I know how difficult it is to land on a narrow road,especially with a great plane like yours ,I found more videos of mine that i forgot about editing them and will post them on Youtube. Also have youtube videos of me flying my Stearman trainer,my Fokker DR-1 Triplane from WWI,and one of my Turbo Bushmaster flying on the beach. All only if you are interested. What city are you near ? I see it in the background when you are flying.
BTW your aileron roll is much better than mine,lol. I have a hard time coordinating the elevator at the right time.

One more thing the battery down low in your plane is quite innovative and clever.

Bob
Old 12-05-2020, 11:11 AM
nomorelogin

Bob, thanks for the kind words! I'm definitely interested in to watch your videos, so please share
This is Saint-Petersburg, Russia. The buildings under construction are from one of the northern districts, which spreading into the countryside. And the "spike" seen on some shots is the "Lahta Center", our newly built skyscraper (our moneybags showoff of their wealthiness).
And this "runway" is an out of usage short-cut road in the city limits. It is 10 minutes far from my home by car and is closed at both ends quite often. So it can be called as a perfect spot for flying, but the tough surroundings (bushes, trees, ditch/trenches on the sides) and usually a side-wind rather then straight wind make it a bit frustrating to take-off and to land each time
All my aerobatics is a newbie try I've also got the EPP biplane, less then a 1m wingspan, and I'm training with her quite often to be more confident in flying big models.
And about the battery you mean the beeping signal? This is a good feature of Hitec Aurora 9 transmitter/receiver system. You can plug a direct cable from battery into receiver (into the SPC connector) and then it pass the battery voltage value to the transmitter/controller where you can tune up a beeper voltage alarm level.
Old 12-05-2020, 06:48 PM
bufordbob

Default My P6E from several years ago flying in Buckeye,Arizona

In this video she still had the 80 size motor I think. hope this comes through.

let me know if you get this and can open it up to view it.

The "battery" I was talking about in the earlier post was the battery shelf you printed with your 3D printer. Very innovative.
nomorelogin (12-06-2020)
Old 12-06-2020, 07:26 AM
nomorelogin

Wow! What a beautiful site/place for making flights! Perfect runway! Exactly for such beautiful plane Thanks for sharing!
Take-off and landing were nice, and even the aeleron roll was made with some kind of dignity suitable for such big bird!

The battery shelf is a ode to my laziness, it's easier for me to make quick sketch/3d model and print, rather then to find suitable plywood, make a 2d drawing, saw it from plywood, glue it...
Old 12-06-2020, 09:08 AM
bufordbob

This video is taken from an on board camera,I live in the summers at the beach in North Carolina where this video was made this was the 3rd flight since the maiden flight.The plane is a model of a "Turbo Bush Master" it is large but extremely light 8 pounds and the wing span is 84# I liked it so much that I knew I couldnt go there this year so built another one to fly here in Arizona. Of course it is electric and powered by a 6s 4000mah lipo.The beach is a great place to fly except for the people who keep on driving on my runway.
Bob

nomorelogin (12-06-2020)
Old 12-10-2020, 09:25 PM
bufordbob

Default Fokker DR-1 Triplane

This was a plane I had scratch built in 1989 and flown for years witha gasoline Quadra 35cc engine in it. Around 2014 decided o electrify it with a Power 160 motor and 1 6S 4000mah lipo in it. Have now changed the propellor to a 24x8 Xoar gas prop. This movie was done when I first finished it and tried to make a video with friend taking outside video and an on board video camera,tried to make a story out of it. Not to good a job since the on board camera was not very good.So now this plane is still flying after 30 YEARS which makes it a VERY OLD RC plane.

Enjoy it if you can.
Bob
nomorelogin (12-11-2020)
Old 12-11-2020, 12:45 AM
nomorelogin

Wow! What a magnificent model! With a double historical meaning (Red Baron as a prototype, and r/c copy as a 30 years old flying thing!)
I think I should own one triplane in my "garage" (someday).
Bob, thanks for sharing such interesting video!
Old 08-03-2022, 02:56 PM
Flytoolow
My Feedback: (17)

Great thread! I just got done flipping through the 74 pages and am happy I did. I just picked up P6E nib for $200 and am trying to find a Keleo exhaust...I know a long shot for a thread that hasn't had any posts since 2020. I am thinking a Saito 150GK or a DLE20RA. Any feedback is appreciated!
bufordbob (08-04-2022)
Old 08-03-2022, 06:36 PM
sam@ata
My Feedback: (16)

Default Still flying on fourth owner

I came about mine as the fourth owner and have a blast with it. DLE 20RA doesnt make it a 3d plane but it flies very scale and i have had many comments on how sweet it looks flying. I dumped the stock wheels for 5" wheels that don't go flat. I'm still thinking up a better strut arrangement as over time, the 440 nutplates become worn and need replaced. Doing those in the wing are not an easy chore to get to as GP placed blocks of wood over them to prevent being unseated. If you want a great scale flying golden age plane, it won't disappoint.
bufordbob (08-04-2022)
Old 08-04-2022, 03:51 AM
bufordbob

Hi Sam,
Still flying my Hawk,have tried to get larger wheels on her due to the larger prop but cant find anyway to go up to 5" wheels. How were you able to squeeze them into the wheel pants? Or did you do some major alterations to them? Would love to see a picture of that detail.

Bufordbob
Old 08-13-2022, 06:56 AM
sam@ata

Sullivan large Skylite wheels with the aluminum hub. The pants had dremel work done to enlarge the opening. Other than that, nothing more to fit them was needed. I will say that the molded in attachment points of the strut n pants will fatigue guickly just by the way its made so I had to rebuild the lower postion on both. The plane handles much nicer on both grass and paved surface with the larger wheels.

Old 08-13-2022, 08:33 AM
bufordbob

Sam,

Thanks for the response when I get back in October will check them out,and get back to you.

Bob
Old 09-13-2022, 09:52 AM
bufordbob

Sam,
Just got the wheels in, they were B/O but found them on EBay . They seem to be VERY hard,hoping they dont bounce too much.I fly on a fabric covered(over dirt) field in Arizona. Will try them as soon as I get back.

Thanks Bob
Old 10-30-2022, 10:15 PM
bufordbob

Default Great Planes level datum line on fuselage ??

Can some one tell me where is the datum line is on the Great lanes P6E ? Need to find the horizontal level line. Putting 24" prop on electric setup.

Thanks in advance.

Bob

Last edited by bufordbob; 10-30-2022 at 10:18 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 10-31-2022, 07:19 PM
sam@ata

If you have an incidence meter, set the lower wing to zero and that will get you very close. Im using a DLE 20 with 17" prop and i bet 24" will be too big. Be careful as with the stock wheels, it will have a tendency to nose over and that 24" will become instantly smaller.
Old 10-31-2022, 08:31 PM
bufordbob

Unfortunately Dont have an incident meter to put on the lower wing.
I have put a 1" block under the aluminum LG and am in the process of fitting 5" Sullivan Lite Flite wheels on underneath the integral wheel pants.
Looking at the bottom fuse and the wing it looks like I can put a piece of wood to go across the lower wing cut out and place a level on it while mounting the plane with
"0" degrees incidence,and then see what the prop clearance will be.
Does this sound about right??
Have flown the plane many times using a much smaller electric motor and a 17" prop,powered by 2 5s 4000mah batteries, now mounted a Horizon Power 160 and will be using 1 6S 5000 mah battery. Consequently need a larger prop.
"Bufordbob"
Thanks for your responses.
Old 11-01-2022, 03:46 PM
sam@ata

Sounds good. Looking forward to your initial flight thoughts and flight time.
Old 11-26-2022, 09:44 PM
bufordbob

Default Electric P6E 24"prop

Raised the aluminum gear up 1" put in 5" wheels,now have 1 7/8" clearance between prop and ground using 24" prop trying to pit picture in here but having some trouble.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.