Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

P-6E Curtis hawk (build thread)

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

P-6E Curtis hawk (build thread)

Old 12-25-2005, 09:18 PM
sseward
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: P-6E Curtis hawk (build thread)

Chas....won't even attempt it! I may have to tag along as a guest at the Farm club to get this thing maidened! I'll be as twitchy as a bag of cats as it is, don't need the power line limbo to complicate things!

Steve
Old 12-25-2005, 09:25 PM
chasrb

Use the backplate Luke... Hey Steve I have a RCV 90 in a 60 sized P51 from Modeltech (it was and ARC from 1998) and the 90 fit in perfect. But in my opinon the backplate is a must. Also line the front side of the firewall with brass or alum. to advoide any wear. The backplate goes in behind the firewall.
Old 12-25-2005, 09:26 PM
chasrb

Come as my guest! Plenty o' room at the FARM
Old 12-25-2005, 09:29 PM
chasrb

I have the GP PT17 and it is as well put together as the P6E. I have a 120 Saito in it with a custom Bendee pipe I made. I really enjoy flying this plane.

Steve I practiced on the Tigermoth in G3 to get te feel for this type of airframe and it really helped.

You need the rudder. I linked 15% rudder to my Ail and it is very scale.
Old 12-25-2005, 09:44 PM
sseward

I still really want the Super Stearman, In fact, that would have been my christmas present if this hadn't come out.

I was actually wondering if you could use a thin layer of rubber of some other buffer to reduce vibration? In any event, I think I've work out how to mount the back plate.

I've been flying the Tiger moth and other bipes on the simulator as well. I actually considered buying the GP Tiger to train on but Hobby Hanger sold the one they had in stock. After looking at the P-6, It has big Flat bottom wings with a pretty deep cord so I imagine it's very stable. Looks like it will be good in the wing loading department as long as you keep it light.

I may take you up on the Farm offer too!

Steve
Old 12-25-2005, 10:07 PM
GaGeeBees
My Feedback: (23)

I've owned the GP Tiger Moth for a couple years and 100's of flights. It's an excellent flier and a real *****cat. The only thing I don't like about it is the landing gear is located too close to the CG and it wants to nose over in grass. The P-6E handles better on the ground and in the air. It lands at walking speed... literally. The maiden flight of mine was a piece of cake.
Old 12-26-2005, 04:23 AM
Baroncowboy

I should have a video on here possibly tommorow,weather permiting...
I have really no concerns or doubt about making the maiden since this is a "Great Planes"product...
I owned the GP Fokker DR1,and it was one of the best and most fun planes I have ever owned...
It quickly made the"Curse of the Tri-Plane"opinion people eat their words...
It was however just a hair squirly on take-offs & landings due to no tail wheel stearing,and stiff landing gear,but it was a real thing of beauty in flight... And suprisingly really easy to fly... I even let some of the local club newbys try it out once I put it in the air and they didnt have any problems...
(sseward) - About being nervous flying a biplane or having to train for double wings...
You dont need to... If you can fly a sport plane,then you can fly a bi-plane... There isnt many things that are different about bi-planes or even tri-planes for that matter vs. a mono...
The only noticeable things that I see is,they have a bit more drag than a mono,so you have to stay a little more "power on" during approachs,and the wind tends to float em around a little more,however its nothing unmanageable nor to worrie about...
IMO They are alot more fun to look at,especialy durring landings and low fly-bys!
I dont think Ive ever heard of anyone whos owned or flown a bi-plane that didnt like it to tell you the truth,unless they just couldnt fly a kite to begin with...
Anyhow,Im anxous to see what my bird is going to do with this 150 on front... I broke it in today and I have to say,with an 18x6 prop it really jerks this plane around when I goose it,so I predict half throttle flights...Anyone else have a Satio 150 on theres thats flown it?...
Old 12-26-2005, 07:06 AM
GaGeeBees

Baroncowboy is right on in his comments. I've got the Great Planes Fokker DR1 as well and it's one of the sweetest fliers made. Keeping a bit more power on at approach is definitely the key. The added drag is indeed a factor but the added lift from the extra wing(s) helps them fly really slow without stalling. I prefer to dial in a few clicks of down to give me a nice rate of descent with the stick at neutral and the throttle at about 1/4 or so and just let it come in for a wheel landing and rollout vs. trying to stick a three pointer. We don't get many windy days down here in Georgia but when we do I get out there with one of the bipes (or tripes). They're a blast to fly in a stiff breeze and with enough wind will fly backwards and land like a Harrier. Great fun. Definitely agree, if you have sport plane experience you're ready for this one. Now get out there and fly!
Old 12-26-2005, 07:16 AM
GaGeeBees

Baroncowboy - I've got the Saito 1.50 on a 100" Rearwin Speedster and it's a great running engine. It's going to be more than enough for your Hawk and, you're right, 1/2 throttle or less will fly it. I use an 18x6 prop on mine too and it lopes along at about 7,400 rpm or so. It's amazingly quiet for a big single and idle is reliable as can be. You ought to have almost unlimited vertical with that setup. I'm guessing you didn't need to add any ballast to get yours to balance with that big ol' Hemi hanging on the front. Looking forward to your flight report. I may try to sneak in a flight this afternoon myself.
Old 12-26-2005, 09:27 AM
aircowboy
My Feedback: (10)

Here are some more pics of my Hawk, nearly completed. Notice how I mounted my weightbox. By mounting on rails forward of the firewall, I was able to reduce the amount of weight required to balance my plane. All up weight is 12 1/2 pounds. 12 oz noseweight with a Saito 125. Also posted are pics of the removeable hinges.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk25748.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	375760   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu64173.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	375761  
Old 12-26-2005, 10:49 AM
sseward

Ok Fellas, I have a question about the bottom wing. The provide two 1/2" square sticks to use as spacers for the wing tips when you assemble the bottom wing. I dry fitted my wing together with the joiners in, the gap and aligment was perfect, but when I put it down on the board the space under each tip is more than 1/2" I took out the joiner and laid it down with the blocks under the tip and the gap is much wider. Looks to me like the joiner sets the right angle based on how well the root ribs line up, but it certainly sets more than the 1/2" dihedral at each tip. Anyone else run across this. Just want to make sure this doesn't cause problems with the struts later.

Steve
Old 12-26-2005, 11:00 AM
prophead
My Feedback: (25)

Well Ive been working hard on this exhaust and here are some pictures to show what Ive accomplished. Hope you guys are still interested because I have put a lot of time into this and would like to get something for all my effort. The RCV is a cool engine this is the first one Ive ever owned and and ever heard run. I like it. Anyway this is to stur up the juces.

Kelvin

Name:	Om34259.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	375791   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ys48823.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	375792  
Old 12-26-2005, 11:03 AM
GaGeeBees

The 1/2" blocks give the correct dihedral. You might want to carefully sand the roots of the wing halves to close the gap. However, the way the bottom wing is installed I believe it could be left two piece without any ill effects. It ain't goin' anywhere once it's all bolted in.
Old 12-26-2005, 11:06 AM
Capt G
My Feedback: (8)

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Will this fit a ys 1.20AC? How hard is it to get the cowl over it?
Old 12-26-2005, 11:07 AM
GaGeeBees

Nice looking exhaust, Kelvin! How much?? What is lead time for a set and what will it take to fit it to my inverted OS 1.20? I may have to have that and order a fresh cowl for mine Agree with you about the RCV engines. They're very cool. I've had a .60 for a couple of years and have lots and lots of flights on it. It's amazing to see a .60 four stroke swiinging a 14x10 prop.
Old 12-26-2005, 11:23 AM
chasrb

Really nice work Kevin! Can you post a video with the engine running thru the pipes? I'd be interesred in hearing how much different it sounds form the stock muffler.

The RCV has an intersting "whine" due to the 2:1 gear reduction in it. The more it runs the smoother it'll get. Mine will start on the first try every time (RCV90). I took s ball end hex key and a mounted it on an older torque starter and reversed the leads to start it. They suggest not to start these RCV Beehive engines at the prop.

Old 12-26-2005, 11:41 AM
sseward

Kelvin,
Just tell me when I can have one!

Steve
Old 12-26-2005, 11:44 AM
sseward

ORIGINAL: GaGeeBees

The 1/2" blocks give the correct dihedral. You might want to carefully sand the roots of the wing halves to close the gap. However, the way the bottom wing is installed I believe it could be left two piece without any ill effects. It ain't goin' anywhere once it's all bolted in.
It's more the joiner vs. the root ribs that sets the angle. Like I said, the whole thing looks to fit perfectly with the joiner in and the roots match up perfectly. I'll see if I can work it and get it to come out better.

Steve
Old 12-26-2005, 11:49 AM
prophead

Well getting the cowl on was an issue and there was only one thing to do, cut the exhaust slot all the way out the back. But I saved the cutout and expoxied it into place on the fuse. Out of this I have not only come up with a working exhaust for the P-6E but I have a new exhaust system for the RCV. Here are some pictures of the exhaus system under the cowl, still not finished but will be working on it today. The price will be $150, and I know a lot of you will think that is a lot but I can tell you it is a lot of work I should be asking for more. Maybe later. Grin. I should be able to adapt this exhaust to all the engines with little problems with the exception of the new 125, I dont have the exhasut nuts built for this engine yet.

Kelvin

Name:	Ig10954.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	375814   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oh13773.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	375815  
Old 12-26-2005, 11:58 AM
sseward

Kelvin,
Totally Cool! One thing to consider is that you could probably shorten the pipes just a smidge. This might allow the cowl to go over them. If you look at pictures of real P-6e's, the pipes barely clear the cowling. The plastic ones with the kit are just about right. Anyway, I'm getting these no matter....excellent Job!

Steve
Old 12-26-2005, 12:00 PM
prophead

Here is the new "Pitts" style exhaust I have come up with for the RCV 120 and will be making them for the 60 and 90 size as time permits. With this ring we can exit at any location around the ring so we could exhaust at many differant scale locations. I ran this yesterday and it was a lot quietier than the stock exhaust, I was suprised at this.

Kelvin

Name:	Zx72605.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	28.9 KB
ID:	375826  
Old 12-26-2005, 12:26 PM
prophead

Hey Steve, even if I shorten the stacks you would still need to slice the cowl at the rear but done carefully and skillfully you still end up with a neat looking model. But I am going to shorten them about a quarter inch regardless. What no comments on my RCV exhaust. Lead time for these will be about 3 to 5 weeks and I dont have an audio system to capture sound, sorry.

Kelvin
Old 12-26-2005, 12:49 PM
sseward

Kelvin,
There are Awesome! Even if you hadn't done the P-6e exhaust, this "generic" RCV exhaust would have work out nicely! I'll put my order in as soon as you're ready!

Steve
Old 12-26-2005, 01:01 PM
GaGeeBees

Kelvin - Very nice work on both the P-6E exhaust and the Pitts version for the RCV. Well done! I'll be needing one of these for my OS 1.20 as soon as you can get it built. Send me payment details, etc. Now I've got to get a new cowl on order!
Old 12-26-2005, 05:21 PM
Capt G
My Feedback: (8)

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

YS 1.20AC installed!

Name:	Ki18826.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	131.7 KB
ID:	375951  

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.