Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Taking off with flaps deployed?

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Taking off with flaps deployed?

Old 10-17-2005, 04:26 AM
cruzomatic
My Feedback: (17)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Taking off with flaps deployed?

Thinking of taking off my WM P51D 60 size with a bit of flaps deployed. For you all who have flaps on your planes, do you deploy them down a bit before take off say 15 degrees or so? I've been flying it for about 4-5 months now and have never used flaps for take off, just getting a bit curious I guess. I'm interested in what you all do. Lemme know what you think.

thanks,
Old 10-17-2005, 05:19 AM
Peter_OZ
Banned
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Taking off with flaps deployed?

full size would probably have had on about 5 degrees.

15 no way

nope never use flaps on takeoff, not needed.
Old 10-17-2005, 05:20 AM
miklos
My Feedback: (38)

I have deployable flaps on my Hangar9 Mustant PTS (added optional flap servo), and it makes take offs a lot easier. Plane needs much shorter takeoff run, and on landing glides forever with flaps down.
Old 10-17-2005, 08:35 AM
mcarleno

On the full size, flaps optional on take off but could be deployed up to 20 Degrees (reference pilot check list). The P51 flaps at 20 degrees where rated to 275 MPH. If operating from long good condition field, usually none; however, short fields 15-20 was not uncommon. If you run with move than just a few, your tail will come up quick and it will want to nose over, so don't give to much and watch elevator or you'll grind your prop!
Old 10-17-2005, 09:19 AM
daw
My Feedback: (6)

I have used flaps on take off for both the TF Corsair and Sea Fury. I've used around 1/4 flap about 10-15 %. The Plane lifts earlier but is less aileron responsive and requires rudder control until more flying speed is achieved. neither plane needs this but it is for kicks and giggles. Just be aware it is still a warbird and can be pron to nasty habits.
Old 10-17-2005, 10:01 AM
Ruudje

I have also used about 15deg. flaps on take off my TF P51 (1/6). I couldn't really notice much difference . Only that you need less runway and be a little bit gentle with the power because of nosing over...
Old 10-17-2005, 10:16 AM
driedjello

I tried landing with about 20 degrees of Flaperons with my Hangar 9 P40 and that was a bad idea. She was listless to aileron corrections! I know that true flaps is night-and-day to flaperons though...
Old 10-17-2005, 11:22 AM
TLH101
My Feedback: (90)

ORIGINAL: driedjello

I tried landing with about 20 degrees of Flaperons with my Hangar 9 P40 and that was a bad idea. She was listless to aileron corrections! I know that true flaps is night-and-day to flaperons though...
You cannot, as you found out, use flaperons with "barndoor" style ailerons. It's causes tip stalls.
Old 10-17-2005, 02:21 PM
daw
My Feedback: (6)

Eactly, flaperons on a warbird wing is a NO! NO! You loose the washout and lift at the wing tip and yes tipstall.
Old 10-18-2005, 09:32 PM
paladin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've used flaps on takeoff but find that I forget they are down once in the air. Notice the plane is out of trim and retrim it and wonder why it flies so different. Eventually I figure it out but by then the plan for the flight is shot and the flight is wasted. It did not happen everytime and if I stuck to it the forgetting would stop. But I'm only doing it to be scale like and the only time they would be use by the full size is for short field or taking off fully loaded. So if I ever model a plan with drop tanks or bombs I'll be more dilagent at it.

Joe
Old 10-19-2005, 04:00 AM
cruzomatic
My Feedback: (17)

Nice responses thanks. I guess I'll keep things simple and not use them for take off.
Old 10-23-2005, 12:19 AM
sticktickler

Any degree of flap deployment was only used for shrot field take-offs, brakes on full power hang on. Our models just don't need this type of risky manuver. If it aint broke don't fix it! It may live to fly another day. Jason