Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Looking for instructions or help for Robart 615 install in TF Corsair .60

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Looking for instructions or help for Robart 615 install in TF Corsair .60

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2005, 10:22 PM
rwithey
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for instructions or help for Robart 615 install in TF Corsair .60

HELP!
I am building a TF Corsair and am at the point where I am starting the wing.
I glued the main spar and found the TF instructions say "now is a good time to cut the holes for your retracts......see retract mfg instructions"

OH CRAP!!!! I bought them used on eBay and have only the air kit instructions.
Can anyone provide me with the instruction for installing the retract units in the 60 sized corsair?

ANY help or quidance would be appreciated. This is my first warbird and first retract installation.

Thanks,
Rob
Old 11-13-2005, 11:06 PM
nocrashesyet

Default RE: Looking for instructions or help for Robart 615 install in TF Corsair .60

I built this plane about a year ago. Did the same as you asked for help I think the only thing someone can do is send you pictures of thier instal and let you go from there. The 615's fit nice in this plane but you need to take your time installing them. PM me with your email address and Ill send some pictures.
Old 11-13-2005, 11:36 PM
voyager_663rd

Default RE: Looking for instructions or help for Robart 615 install in TF Corsair .60

Although we are installing much better retracts than the 615's, this might help you

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_3389837/tm.htm
Old 11-13-2005, 11:44 PM
rwithey

Thanks for the link. I was just looking thru the original post on the development of the Robinaires to see if they were ever put into production - I guess they have! What are they selling for and where can they be ordered. I only have $96 invested with the 615 including the air control kit and hand pump - so I am not against spending a few $$ on better retract units.

BTW - thanks for the pics nocrashesyet - they helped alot in determining what hole they were speaking off. I think I can dremal it later once the gear is partially installed - if I don't switch to the Robinaires.

Rob
Old 11-14-2005, 08:51 AM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Then by all means sell those robart 615s and buy the robinairs. I went thru the robart nightmare. Robarts other retracts are decent but those 615s are terrible.
Edwin
Old 11-14-2005, 09:12 AM
Rocketman612
My Feedback: (85)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: rwithey

Thanks for the link. I was just looking thru the original post on the development of the Robinaires to see if they were ever put into production - I guess they have! What are they selling for and where can they be ordered. I only have $96 invested with the 615 including the air control kit and hand pump - so I am not against spending a few $$ on better retract units.

BTW - thanks for the pics nocrashesyet - they helped alot in determining what hole they were speaking off. I think I can dremal it later once the gear is partially installed - if I don't switch to the Robinaires.

Rob
Rob,

Put those retracts back for sale here or on ebay. I'm pleased with the Century Jet retracts in my TF Corsair. As you have seen there are a couple of other good choices over the 615's

Good luck with your build. Check out CorsairJock's thread for TF Corsair mods.

Pete
Old 11-22-2005, 07:44 PM
yellowlineracing

What is wrong with the Robart #615 Retract? What are you problems or issues? Doesnt fit the plane or is it the actual product? Let me know!
Old 11-22-2005, 07:59 PM
rwithey

From what I have read, is seems the rotating mechanics are weak and they tend to slip causing the wheels to toe in or out. I have seen a fix for that in a post elsewhere from CorsairJock. I am not willing to spend the $$$ for the Robinair. They might be good, but I am not able to spring that kind of cash right now. Seems to me a permanent fix would be to remove the set screw that slips and drill the wire leg to pin to the hub with the gear after setting the correct alignment of course.
Rob
Old 11-23-2005, 08:03 AM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dont know about others but I can tell you what happened on mine. I DID have one landing that was too hard. I'll admit that right up front. Didnt do any wood structure damage to the plane, just the cowl mounting broken. The retracts bent the lever arms. I straightened them in my shop and flew again. On a good landing (grass field) the arms bent slightly again. No nose over. So I bought some robart oleos and restraightened the levers again. Keep in mind the repaired retracts still worked as was designed. The next flight, same thing. Basically the tensil strength of the metal was weakened. Restraightening isnt a good idea. Robart is happy to sell you replacement levers for about $12 a pair. Takes four for both retracts. Replaced the levers and flew again. Out of about 6 flights only 2 didnt bend the levers. (I bought a bunch of levers) I cant land that plane any softer. Other problems included set screws loosening. There are just too many set screws in that design. I replaced all of them with good quality set screws and still had problems with them loosening up. Wheels turning on landing mostly. I was about to store the plane until I could get a better set when it finally went in. I missed some cowl damage on one of the mounting blocks and the cowl broke loose and hit the back of the prop in flight. This was right after the first turn after climbout. Didnt have a lot of altitude. The engine died, I deployed the gear (and to add insult to injury) and a strut dropped straight to the ground. So I retracted the gear. By that time the speed was too slow, altitude too low and heading for a barb-wire fenced tree line. No choice but to try and turn. And naturally it stalled. Those that have flown corsairs know that they have a nasty stall and take too much altitude to recover. Mine just rolled over and dove inverted into the ground. The planes specs were; 9 1/2 lbs, monocoat covered, super tiger 90. It wasnt heavy. Now you could say my flying skills were no good (you dont know me) and I would respect that. I'm not an expert but I have flown several corsairs since and many other warbirds. At any rate, I sure miss that plane. When it flew it was a LOT of fun. I also want to say that robarts other gears are ok. I've seen them used in lots of other planes with no problems under normal use. I will gladly use robinairs on the next 60 sized corsair if I ever do another. Those robart 615s just took the fun out of flying.
Edwin
Old 11-23-2005, 09:21 AM
yellowlineracing

Thanks for your feedback, There is no better way to find out the responce on a gear then to hear it direct from the customer. Im sorry about your plane. In the future, if you do build another one, I hope Robart had something more dependable for you. Thanks again.
Old 11-23-2005, 09:47 AM
Rocketman612
My Feedback: (85)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Edwin

Dont know about others but I can tell you what happened on mine. I DID have one landing that was too hard. I'll admit that right up front. Didnt do any wood structure damage to the plane, just the cowl mounting broken. The retracts bent the lever arms. I straightened them in my shop and flew again. On a good landing (grass field) the arms bent slightly again. No nose over. So I bought some robart oleos and restraightened the levers again. Keep in mind the repaired retracts still worked as was designed. The next flight, same thing. Basically the tensil strength of the metal was weakened. Restraightening isnt a good idea. Robart is happy to sell you replacement levers for about $12 a pair. Takes four for both retracts. Replaced the levers and flew again. Out of about 6 flights only 2 didnt bend the levers. (I bought a bunch of levers) I cant land that plane any softer. Other problems included set screws loosening. There are just too many set screws in that design. I replaced all of them with good quality set screws and still had problems with them loosening up. Wheels turning on landing mostly. I was about to store the plane until I could get a better set when it finally went in. I missed some cowl damage on one of the mounting blocks and the cowl broke loose and hit the back of the prop in flight. This was right after the first turn after climbout. Didnt have a lot of altitude. The engine died, I deployed the gear (and to add insult to injury) and a strut dropped straight to the ground. So I retracted the gear. By that time the speed was too slow, altitude too low and heading for a barb-wire fenced tree line. No choice but to try and turn. And naturally it stalled. Those that have flown corsairs know that they have a nasty stall and take too much altitude to recover. Mine just rolled over and dove inverted into the ground. The planes specs were; 9 1/2 lbs, monocoat covered, super tiger 90. It wasnt heavy. Now you could say my flying skills were no good (you dont know me) and I would respect that. I'm not an expert but I have flown several corsairs since and many other warbirds. At any rate, I sure miss that plane. When it flew it was a LOT of fun. I also want to say that robarts other gears are ok. I've seen them used in lots of other planes with no problems under normal use. I will gladly use robinairs on the next 60 sized corsair if I ever do another. Those robart 615s just took the fun out of flying.
Edwin
Edwin,
Sorry for your loss but thank you for your comments. If you do a search about landing gear for the TF 60 Corsair you will find a few big threads that are a couple of years old. The product of those threads were the Sierra gear and when the production of those bogged down Robinairs gear came to production. Both are now available.

I went ahead and used the Century Jet gear I had on hand after waiting forever for the Sierra product and am satisfied with them to this point. Only a handful of flights so far but they have been flawless.

Bottom line is that there are other good choices for gear in this plane and if you would rather fly than cry by all means use them over the 615's.

It's interesting that Robart has done NOTHING to make the 615 better and I have to believe that they know that there is more competition for the 615's.

Pete
Old 11-23-2005, 09:54 AM
CorsairJock
My Feedback: (90)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Suggested reading:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_1438302/tm.htm