Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Hanger9 mustang 1st flight!!

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Hanger9 mustang 1st flight!!

Old 12-04-2005, 04:43 PM
konatiki

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hanger9 mustang 1st flight!!

Well to day was the big day. My first flight with my H9 P51 Mustang. Here’s the whole story.

Got to the field nice and early and was the first one there. As I started to prep for flight the boyz started to show up.
Everyone was happy to see me there with my P-51 as I had been talking about it for some time.
I filled her up with fuel and put air in the retract tank. I started the O.S-91 four stroke and she came to life.
I sat her down to taxi out and see if it would taxi straight. I made a few runs on the runway and she was pulling to the left.
I brought her back to the pits and had to bend the tail wheel a tad to make her roll straight. I fired her back up and taxied to
the end of the runway. I called my take off with everyone watching in suspense. (all the old guy’s fly electrics)
I took a nice deep breath and started to add a small amount of throttle. As the plane started to roll I only had to add a small
bit of right rudder and at about ¼ throttle the tail wheel came up and with just a bit more throttle and a touch of up elevator
she came right off the ground. The climb out was nice and gentle. I started to make my first turn at around 50 feet or so and then
pulled up the gear. By this time I was so happy because all the stress and nervousness about the way this bird was going to fly was gone.
It fly’s so nice that I just couldn’t believe it. All it took was about 5 clicks of up elevator trim to make her fly nice and level. All I could hear from the boy’s
Was “Man that’s a great flying plane” and “it sound so cool” and “I want one” After flying for about 6 minuets I knew it was time to bring her in to land.
Here is where thing’s get interesting, I made a nice slow pass and brought my gear down. All looked good. as I started my decent on final I was at 1/3
throttle and I was still too hot to land as I passed over the end of the runway so I added a tad of throttle and climbed out again. At this point I knew it
was going to be a task to land because the runway at my club is only 200 feet and the bird has no flaps or wheel breaks. I came around again this time I was at ¼
throttle and it was still way to fast so I had to go around again. Starting to sweat now!![X(] This time I came around and really gave myself a lot of straight descending
room to try and slow her down. I toughed down about 25 feet after the start of the runway and at this point the throttle was at idle. As I rolled
down the runway it became clear to me that she was not going to slow down enough to stay on the runway so I made the call to not try and climb out again
because I really had no room to get her back up the airspeed so I let her roll off the end of the runway and thought it would at worse nose over in the dirt.
Well one of the wheel hit a rock of a small ditch or something and my nice new plane rolled over and snapped the left wing into two pieces.[:@]
The funny thing is I was not upset in any way because of how well the plane had flown. It was so worth it to have flown my first warbird so very well and
Have so much fun with it. The only thing wrong with it now is the wing.

Now, I have two choices, I can buy 3 rolls of ultracoat covering at $20.00 each and about $10.00 worth of balsa and about 10 hours of work, or
I can order a new wing from Horizon for $99.00 and it will take me like 2 hours to of work. The choice is clear.

I will have her back in the air next weekend but this time I’m going to program flaperon’s (maybe). Anyone have an idea on how much flaperons or spoilerons
I should use if any? I will be posting pictures of today’s events as one of the guy’s at the club was taking picture’s of all the excitement.

Even though my day ended with a broken wing, I still feel so happy about the way this plane flow that I’m calling it a success, and
I’m looking at it this way- I now have a project this week.
I’M HOOKED ON WARBIRDS NOW.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq46498.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	91.3 KB
ID:	364852  
Old 12-04-2005, 07:34 PM
Ron101
My Feedback: (22)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Hanger9 mustang 1st flight!!

Hey Konatiki,
So sorry to hear about your wing.. but it doesn't sound too bad..
I can't believe you guys only have 200 ft of run way.....
It's no problem too land on are 600 ft ... 200 would be tough
but it's sounds like you really enjoyed the time in the air and that's what this is all about!!
I was flying mine again today.. they really are a great looking P-51
congratulations on your first war bird flight!!
you'll get it all sorted out

take care
Ronnie
Old 12-04-2005, 07:50 PM
konatiki

Hey Ron. Thanks bro. I do wish the runway was longer too. I'm for sure going to need flaps or airbreaks or something. I have no idea about flaperons or spoileron so any help would be great. My radio is a 6ch Futaba 6EXAP. It talks about flaperons but not spoilerons and from what I have seen on RCU I don't want to use flaperons because of tip stalling but I do need to do something. Anyone?
I only have a 200 foot runway and it is paved. I guess a good head wind would have helped but for my first flight on my first warbird I wanted the wind to be still. Next time-bring on the wind!!! That might slow it down some.[&:] Eric.
Old 12-04-2005, 08:19 PM
Hellcat716
My Feedback: (2)

You need to find out the stall speed to find out how slow this plane will fly. You may think you are real slow, but you need to get some altitude and stall the plane to know how slow you can be on your approach to landing. Not knowing how slow the plane will fly will make you land faster than you need to be.
Old 12-04-2005, 08:40 PM
Ron101

very true hell cat!
this plane will fly very slow...
don't think I'm being a know it all konatiki.. I hate guys like that...lol
but I've been flying warbirds for years
I don't think you need flaps with this plane...
On your next flight take it up high and do a mock landing approach.. but landing a 100 ft up..
cut your throttle just above idle well before you make your turn to base...
about 20 to 30 feet before the run way pull back to idle
I think if you keep your approach flat and low.. don't dive it in.. you'll be very surprised at how slow this bird can land
you could also try to be on the large side of the prop range for your engine...
humm..91 os four stroke right? maybe a 14x7 or 15x6
large props act like a break at idle... they can slow you down in a hurry
just a few things to try..
also is there a field you can drive to to practice for yours? that would really help
best of luck to you!
get her back up soon,, and let us know how it went
Ron R
Old 12-04-2005, 08:40 PM
konatiki

I was thinking that too. It did slow down alot on the landing but I was afraid it was going to stall if I went any slower, but nyou are right.
I think it might fly slower as on my first two landing trys it just was floating across the runway and never stalled like I was thinking it would. I think I may have forced it down and thats way I had too much speed and ran off the runway. Im still so stoked on how well it fly's. It's easyer to fly then my 40 size Hanger 9 Pizazz. who would have thought. If I can just get her to slow down. Next weekend!!!
Do you know if raidentech sell's parts for there P51. I need a wing. And do you know if it is the same wing as the Hanger 9 P51 wing and if it will fit?
Old 12-04-2005, 08:52 PM
konatiki

Ron, I like those ideas. Now that I'm thinking of it I was coming in fairly steap. I did make a few slow level fly by's so one of the guy's could get a picture and it was going slow and I was waiting for it to tip stall 20 off the ground but it didn't. Next time I coming in slow, low and flat and I think I can pull it off. It takes me hearing things like I just did from the above posts to really think about it/ It's like your dad smacking you a few time saying "don't be a bumb *****" think about what you are doing and or what you did wrong and don't do it again. I'm thankful for all input harsh or not. I can take it.
Old 12-04-2005, 09:15 PM
JAkridge

Hey Eric, I'm glad and sorry for you [X(]. The H-9 P-51 60 size is a sweet flying plane for sure, the bad part is you had to fine out what a floater it is on your first Warbird flight and with such a short runway. It's hard enough to hit the numbers with any plane on it's madien.
I have had this very plane since it came out over 4 years ago And I would go down and buy another if this one was to be lost. For a little back ground on mine..... It's been re-covered now 2 times and is powered by a Saito 91, I'm on my second wing and third set of retracts. after the stock set was driveing me nuts with the nose overs and wobbling, I tryed a set Century Jets ( for the record they were a older set for a Top Flite 60 scale P-51 kit) I did some heavy grinding to get them to fit the blocks but got them in and lined up. They were heavy and the plane just never flew like it did with the lighter stock set. I flew it with these for a summer or so, but after a brain fade while setting up a new radio I didn't put in enough elevator and droped in on final to hot and blew the gear rite out of the wing and did a long slideing belly landing... hence haveing to buy the new wing.
The new wing is the way to go in my opinion for your's too. I finally ended up with a set of Spring Airs and have not had a problem landing or with flite problems sence.
So IMO go for the new wing, keep it lite, streight and true. The plane deserves it. And by the way.... I also tryed spoilers & flaperons, I never had any luck with the set up.
I will say that if you can get some flight time at a field with a longer runway to give you some experiance landing the plane you'll be able to hit and stick to yours, I truely believe you just need stick time to learn the landing trick of this plane.

Don't ask me how I know.............

Good Luck, with time you'll Love the plane even more.

Joe

P.S. I see your from Vista.. not to far from me. I fly at El Toro field in Irvine if you need a longer field to practice on. PM me if you need a longer field.
Old 12-04-2005, 09:15 PM
Build-n-flyer-RCU
My Feedback: (4)

Landing a Mustang on a 200' runway is definitely a bit of a challenge. The problem is that they don't want to slow down and you can eat up a lot of runway before the plane settles. If you have a good clear approach then bringing it in long and low helps a whole bunch.

Next time see if you can find a "guest" field with a longer runway to fly it at until you get the hang of it.

Good luck!

Walt
Old 12-04-2005, 09:41 PM
martezz

i am sorry to hear about the fast landing i have one of the hanger nines miss americas and that will fly at 10 to 15 mph i swear don't be afraid of it . I read the post and the best bet is to give yourself plenty of room long and low don't dive it in you can do it

Name:	Sp45471.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	365000  
Old 12-04-2005, 09:41 PM
konatiki

Hey guy's. All great input. When I got this arf I was so stresed about how hard it would be to fly. After putting it all together and then the stock retract wouldn't hold the waight of the plane just sitting there, I put a set of Robarts 606HD's in it. They are great and it was not hard to install them. They were my first retracts too. I just can't get over the way this Mustang fly's. I was not ready for it to be so easy and I think that's what got me. I was thinking it was going to fall from the sky but it never did. I just ordered my new wing
I will be like a dog waiting for it's master to come home[sm=tired.gif]Come on UPS!!!!!!!!YOU CAN DO IT!!
Old 12-04-2005, 09:53 PM
konatiki

Ok boy's!! Now that I'm hooked on warbirds and don't really want to fly anything eles, what's next for me? Something with flaps please as you all know what I have going on? I'm thinking of getting a O.S. 120 four stroke. I'm the kind of guy who like to have a few planes going so in case something happens I have backup. I need a back up for my one warbird. Btw, today was the first time I have crashed in like 6 years. Maybe that's why I'm not upset at all. I was getting borded. I did say to one of the guys at the field "I need to crash because I want a new plane" but I didn't and then I got a new plane and crashed it first flight. Well guess I need another. Narn
Old 12-04-2005, 10:25 PM
JAkridge

OS 120 mite be a bit to much.................... But can you say Hanger 9 P-47 60 scale
Old 12-04-2005, 10:26 PM
daw
My Feedback: (6)

I've got a TF AT-6 with an OS 91. It flys great but lands hot with 15-6. Just by changing to a Graupner wide blade 14-7 made a world of difference. The wide blade acts as a break on final. Lands like a ***** cat now.
Old 12-04-2005, 10:39 PM
konatiki

So this one has flaps? Is a nice flyer like the p51? I dont think it would be hard for me to fly it's just the landing space I have but I think with flap I can pull it off.
Old 12-04-2005, 11:53 PM
Ron101

right on bud!!
that was fast on the wing order...lol
you know I think your next step should be to bulid a kit.
I have a top p-47 60 size with an ys 110 super charged..flaps, air retracts, gear doors, retracting tail wheel, slideing canopy, bomb drops, center tank drop, on board glow ignitor, fiber glassed... with all this stuff it only wheighs 12.5 pounds
it's on of the best flying planes I've owned.
ARF's are great everyday fliers ...but the monokote gets dinged up.. and some other guy pulls out the same plane
if you bulid it and glass it and paint it the way you want.. no one will have one like yours
just a thought... and that OS 120 is prefect for it
there's a million ways to go..and everybody has there own opinion.

Ron R
Old 12-05-2005, 12:23 PM
mwunsworth
My Feedback: (13)

As the earlier posts mentioned, go with a lower pitch prop and try to get one with a wider blade and this really helps in landing as it acts like an air brake. I also have a TF AT6 with an OS 91FX and flew all summer with a master airscrew 14X6. I tried a 14X8 to get more speed but had a very difficult time landing since it was coming in so hot. I ended up going back to the 14X6
Old 12-05-2005, 12:34 PM
konatiki

I'm using a 15x6 on the OS 91 four stroke. What would you use? A bigger one?
Old 12-05-2005, 07:08 PM
Build-n-flyer-RCU

Another thing that you can do is pull back on the throttle trim a bit when she's ready to set down. Not a good idea early during the final approach because if you take it too far the engine may quit. But it definitely helps to have the engine running as slow as possible during the actual landing.

I first learned this trick running a big 8 pitch prop on an Extra that wanted to float forever (it was very over-powered). You might want to try it first with an easy-to-land sport plane and see what you think.

Walt
Old 12-06-2005, 08:59 PM
prop wash

All good advice Koatiki,just remember its all elevater and throttle.You'll learn to judge.You think your stuck on war birds now? Waite till you go to a "War Bird" day or week-end and fly with 5 or 10 other planes all making straifing runs low and fast.Its great.Goodluck Tom

Name:	Lj21602.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	366091  
Old 12-06-2005, 09:02 PM
prop wash

Sorry,Konatiki.
Old 12-06-2005, 11:45 PM
konatiki

Great ideas. I got my wing today. Horizon has a wearhouse in Ca and I have found out items get here in a day or two using standard shipping. I used overnight shipping once with them and it was like $26.00 but then I used standard shipping once and it came in the same amount of time. Anyway, I have joined my new wing together and Im letting the epoxy cure. Tomorow night I will be hinging the ailerons, installing my Robarts 606HD air retracts into the new wing, my aileron servos are still on my other aileron hatch's so I will just put those into the new wing and then it's just the control horns and linkage and I will be ready to rock for the weekend if it dosen't rain.

Name:	Ax72936.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	366165  
Old 12-07-2005, 04:57 PM
konatiki

Can anyone tell me about what RPM's at idle I should be at? It's the O.S. 91-2 suppass four stroke. I have a c-tronics OBGI and a Cline fuel regulator. I did nothing to the low end set screw but I think I might have to richen it up a tad. After idleing for about 30 seconds it starts to run uneven and will then die. What do you think?
Old 12-08-2005, 06:55 PM
konatiki

Here are the pictures of the big day thanks to the guy at my club who's in charge of the club web page. My new wing is just about done. Just have to do the wheel bays and that's it. I'll be back in the air this weekend. This time I'm going to land her and make her stop.

ORIGINAL: konatiki

Well to day was the big day. My first flight with my H9 P51 Mustang. Here’s the whole story.

Got to the field nice and early and was the first one there. As I started to prep for flight the boyz started to show up.
Everyone was happy to see me there with my P-51 as I had been talking about it for some time.
I filled her up with fuel and put air in the retract tank. I started the O.S-91 four stroke and she came to life.
I sat her down to taxi out and see if it would taxi straight. I made a few runs on the runway and she was pulling to the left.
I brought her back to the pits and had to bend the tail wheel a tad to make her roll straight. I fired her back up and taxied to
the end of the runway. I called my take off with everyone watching in suspense. (all the old guy’s fly electrics)
I took a nice deep breath and started to add a small amount of throttle. As the plane started to roll I only had to add a small
bit of right rudder and at about ¼ throttle the tail wheel came up and with just a bit more throttle and a touch of up elevator
she came right off the ground. The climb out was nice and gentle. I started to make my first turn at around 50 feet or so and then
pulled up the gear. By this time I was so happy because all the stress and nervousness about the way this bird was going to fly was gone.
It fly’s so nice that I just couldn’t believe it. All it took was about 5 clicks of up elevator trim to make her fly nice and level. All I could hear from the boy’s
Was “Man that’s a great flying plane” and “it sound so cool” and “I want one” After flying for about 6 minuets I knew it was time to bring her in to land.
Here is where thing’s get interesting, I made a nice slow pass and brought my gear down. All looked good. as I started my decent on final I was at 1/3
throttle and I was still too hot to land as I passed over the end of the runway so I added a tad of throttle and climbed out again. At this point I knew it
was going to be a task to land because the runway at my club is only 200 feet and the bird has no flaps or wheel breaks. I came around again this time I was at ¼
throttle and it was still way to fast so I had to go around again. Starting to sweat now!![X(] This time I came around and really gave myself a lot of straight descending
room to try and slow her down. I toughed down about 25 feet after the start of the runway and at this point the throttle was at idle. As I rolled
down the runway it became clear to me that she was not going to slow down enough to stay on the runway so I made the call to not try and climb out again
because I really had no room to get her back up the airspeed so I let her roll off the end of the runway and thought it would at worse nose over in the dirt.
Well one of the wheel hit a rock of a small ditch or something and my nice new plane rolled over and snapped the left wing into two pieces.[:@]
The funny thing is I was not upset in any way because of how well the plane had flown. It was so worth it to have flown my first warbird so very well and
Have so much fun with it. The only thing wrong with it now is the wing.

Now, I have two choices, I can buy 3 rolls of ultracoat covering at $20.00 each and about $10.00 worth of balsa and about 10 hours of work, or
I can order a new wing from Horizon for $99.00 and it will take me like 2 hours to of work. The choice is clear.

I will have her back in the air next weekend but this time I’m going to program flaperon’s (maybe). Anyone have an idea on how much flaperons or spoilerons
I should use if any? I will be posting pictures of today’s events as one of the guy’s at the club was taking picture’s of all the excitement.

Even though my day ended with a broken wing, I still feel so happy about the way this plane flow that I’m calling it a success, and
I’m looking at it this way- I now have a project this week.
I’M HOOKED ON WARBIRDS NOW.

Name:	Ki18384.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	367059   Click image for larger version

Name:	To44230.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	120.6 KB
ID:	367060   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kp33779.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	104.8 KB
ID:	367061   Click image for larger version

Name:	Un34266.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	367062  
Old 12-08-2005, 07:51 PM
Build-n-flyer-RCU

Great pics, beautiful airplane, and what a great backdrop for flying with the blue sky and mountains!

I don't know about the OS 4-banger, if it was a Saito I'd say to try richening up the bottom a bit. I've recently been switching over to YS's- they will idle so low it can be hard to get them to stop.

We're all waiting to hear what happens next!

Walt

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.