Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Top Flite Zero

Old 11-16-2002, 09:41 PM
Foxbat711
My Feedback: (29)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Top Flite Zero

I pick up a Top Flite Zero kit... and was wondering about retracts and flaps for this bird. Anybody have past experience with construction or flying?
Old 11-17-2002, 07:50 AM
JohnMcGowan
My Feedback: (15)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Top Flite Zero

Hi Fox, I have this kit as well as the TF AT6. They are pretty much the same kits except for the cockpit, rear deck, canopy and rudder and wingtips. I used the Robart 605 HD retracts altho I dont care for Robarts plastic type case for the retracts. You do want to build this plane with flaps. I have a saito 91 4 stroke in it. Altho the plans have you use a jig included in the kit to build washout into the wing , if you dont have a incidence meter for the wing , get you one before you start on the wing to insure you build between 2 to 3 degrees of washout in each wing. Otherwise, this plane WILL tip stall on you if you slow it down too much(go ahead and ask me how I know this). I would recommend that you fiberglass the joints between the center section and the wing panels for added strength.
What engine are you going to use?
I feel that because the plane has such a short nose on it , The reccommended CG point on the plans is off(altho some of you who have this plane may disagree) . Every one of these planes I have seen come out pretty tail heavy. When I had one of the test pilots at the field fly it for the 1st time, altho the plane was resting level on the balance stand upside down, it was a handfull for that 1st flight!!! MAKE SURE that when you balance it , the nose hangs down about 20 degrees from level. Also make sure that its balanced laterally(one wing not heavier that the other).
Build it straight and true and it will be a good lookin' bird!!
If you need anything else, just shout. John
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	36022_586.jpg
Views:	806
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	22799  
Old 11-17-2002, 09:23 AM
greyfly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Zero

John

Is the zero a new kit?...only I don't recall seeing this one before?

Grey
Old 11-17-2002, 04:45 PM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Top Flite Zero

Foxbat, do you have the old Top Flite Zero kit or the more recent TF Gold Edition "Hollywood" Zero? The old kit was a model of the Mitsubishi Zero while the newer release is a modified AT-6.
Old 11-17-2002, 06:33 PM
JohnMcGowan
My Feedback: (15)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Top Flite Zero

Hi Grey, the one pictured in the above post is the Hollywood Zero(same as the T6) , not the older true Zero kit .
Old 11-18-2002, 03:10 AM
Foxbat711
My Feedback: (29)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default TF Zero

I have the actual Top Flite A5M2 Zero Kit that was produced a number of years ago..... Not the Hollywood Zero.....
Foxbat
Old 11-21-2002, 11:10 PM
FalconWings10
My Feedback: (4)

Default Top Flite Zero

Wouldn't it be great if TopFlite came back out with the original Zero. I'd have to have one. Anyone else?
Old 12-02-2002, 09:36 PM
Steve Campbell2

Default Top Flite Zero

Absolutely. In fact, I'm going to e-mail The Empire right now.

A BearCat would be nice too.

Steve
Old 12-02-2002, 09:58 PM
FalconWings10

Default Top Flite Zero

Yes, a Bearcat would be excellent!
Old 12-02-2002, 10:46 PM
Grumpy Monkey
My Feedback: (7)

Default Count me in!

I want TF to bring the Zero back! I also would like to see a 109 as well. hehehe I can dream cant I.

WF
Old 12-03-2002, 01:42 AM
FalconWings10

Default Top Flite Zero

How about a Wildcat?
Old 12-03-2002, 03:24 AM
edp
My Feedback: (5)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Top Flite Zero

I have built a Yellow Aircraft A6M5b, and would love to see a .60 Zero either a A6M2 or A6M5 for T/F
Old 12-03-2002, 06:42 PM
Steve Campbell2

Default Top Flite Zero

I e-mailed The Empire, and was told that there was no way to contact R&D for questions/suggestions, and sorry for the inconvenience.

I e-mailed back, asking to confirm that was no method of contacting anyone regarding these questions, and was told "There is more than one operator answering e-mails. Please re-send the entire message."

Duh: the "entire message" was underneath my question.

I've had better luck dealing with the government. I would have e-mailed "Just forget it", but I'm sure I would have got another "Can you repeat the question, please?"

Does Maratuka still make a 60-size Zero?????????????

Steve
Old 12-03-2002, 07:09 PM
G.F. Reid
My Feedback: (1)

Default Top Flite Zero

Yes...and an FW-190A, and a Bf-109 and a Hellcat, a P-38, a P-61, a Bearcat and many others. I personally like the Royal/Marutaka kits better that the TF ones anyway. The Marutaka Zero even has a spun aluminum cowl. It is more expensive though.
www.hobbybarn.com
Old 12-04-2002, 12:16 AM
LSP972
My Feedback: (13)

Default Top Flite Zero

Thanks, Greg. Highly interesting. Let me guess; about the only "pre-fab" parts are the wing ribs, and everything else is sheets, sticks, and blocks?

Anyone here built this one? Some details would be appreciated.

I wonder how big a hole I'll have to cut in that aluminum cowl for a YS 91???<G>

Steve
Old 12-04-2002, 03:33 AM
G.F. Reid

Default Top Flite Zero

Definitely builders kits alright Steve.
What I'd really like to get ahold of is their Ki-43 Oscar kit. They don't even show that one on the site anymore. The Ki-61 Tony is another one. I'd gladly trade my Royal Corsair kit for the Zero or either of those two...hint, hint...
Old 12-03-2020, 05:33 AM
gonzalobures

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default A Original Gold Edition Top Flite A6M2 Zero 60" still operational

I have always liked the looks and flying characteristics of the Zero, especially the A6M2.
In 1988 I built the Top Flite Golden Edition Zero. The 1st Golden Edition was composed of various scale models including: F4U Corsair, P40, P51 Mustang both D and razor back, P47, A6M2 Zero, P38 and some I do not recall. I still have the model and still flies with the original engine and radio. At least one flying day I take it to our club and fly it. Only the batteries have been upgraded to LIFE 2S 2Kmah.
The Zero was my 3rd RC model ever. I decided to build mine using Saburo Sakaiís model as pattern. It is a 60Ē wings span model. The Top Flite Zero, is a fully planked model, both wing and fuselage and with very little area inside the model for equipment. Been my 3rd building experience and the 2nd scale model, the first was a Piper Cub clipped wing, I went slow in the construction learning a lot in the process. I decided to construct the Navy version so gray it was.
The model is powered by an OS 90 glow engine with a Pittís special muffler turning a 15 X 8 prop. I used an all metal, one piece engine mount to mount the engine made by Sullivan, I think. The model was design for a 60, but I needed weight to balance the short nose fighter and obtain the CG. I also built an air dam for cooling and mounted on it a radial engine mockup. All this nose weight was welcomed. Better than dead lead.
The model is guided by my C 9 channel Futaba radio, still in the old MHz frequency. It uses 6 channels for the four basics plus spilt flaps and retracts. It has Romm air retracts and a fix tail gear. I used two servos for the ailerons, not to common in the 80ís.
I also built a full cabin with a pilot look alike of Saburo Sakai that my wife made. At the time pilot figures had to be homemade. Only plastic, not to real figures were available. Most cockpit instruments and items were copied. Remember, its .60 model. Not too much space available.
I made panel lines for the 1st time and also rivets. That was fun and interesting. Especially since at that age patience was not in my vocabulary.
Since 1988 the Zero has flown very well with very few and minor accidents. It has never crashed. It has won some scale competitions in Puerto Rico, Including a 2nd place in the Coqui Nationals.
I still enjoy the A6M2 Top Flite Zero. Itís challenging now since I have gotten used to the bigger models we fly today. I still donít like the messy glow fuel and the OS 90 purrs like a kitten. Hope to be able to fly and enjoy this Zero for some more time.

Old 12-04-2020, 06:05 AM
G.F. Reid

Wow, an 18 year old thread. I was still a young man when this thread was started!....lol
Beautiful renditions gonsolobures. Nice weathering on the finishes.
I haven't built or flown a plane in well over 10 years but still get emails from this forum occasionally, like this one. One of these days I may accept the probable fact that I will probably not fly or build another one.
On the subject of Zeros....I have a full Dave Platt 80" Zero kit with ALL the bells and whistles. Glass cowl, tail cone and gun deck, aluminum spinner, full scale retracts, cockpit kit, full body Japanese pilot, yada, yada... I may have to sell it one day but it won't be cheap! Also, I'd hate to sell it and one day start wanting to build and fly again.
One of many that occupy the darkness of my basement.
Old 12-04-2020, 06:28 AM
gonzalobures

Reid, I still fly this elederly Geriatric A6M2 Zero, but sparenly. The emotional attachment is great and I do not want to rekit it due to my now old age.

But, I do have another A6M2 much bigger and easier to see due to its size. Its an ESM 88" A6M2 Zero with,like yours, all the bells and whistles. It flies great and like I said its friedlier to my eyes in the sky.

Last flying session was last wednesday and a friend took some videos and prepared this yuotube entry:

Enjoy the holidays, be safe and be blessed.

Gonzo
Old 12-04-2020, 06:45 AM
gonzalobures

Reid, I hope you prepare your Dave Platt Zero and go out and fly it . If you can do it by yourself or need help, get help but do it anyway. I have enjoyed model building and flying since 1986. That is for the past 34 years and the passion has not diminish. Maybe the energy has, but not the passion.

I still fly challenging planes: Horten 229, ME 163B, HE 162, ME 109, ME 110, Pitts Special, A1 Skyraider, Piper Cub (for those slow days), FW 190 D-9, Aichi Val, GooseHawk Jet and some more. Thanks God I do not break models often and the inventory is maintained.

Here are some videos of my favorites:

Horten 229 forme the most challenging and the one I love the most:

ME 163B maiden Flite many years ago but still flies very well. The 2nd plane I like the most:

ME 109 flies great and a recent flying session:
Old 12-04-2020, 08:32 AM
G.F. Reid

Very, very interesting subjects you've chosen Gonzo. Don't see that kind of stuff very often. Scale has always been my interest, whether military or civilian...I love biplanes in that category.....
You obviously have the 'gift'. You build well and you fly well.
I have never had anyone maiden a plane for me. I figure if I spent the time building it, I should be the one that gets the thrill (and anxiety) of the maiden flight. I crashed only one on maiden, rebuilt it and still have it. Just a fun scale GP .40 sized Corsair. One of the best flying planes I've ever owned and very low stress.
I have enough built planes, kits, short kits and plans to open my own shop. Also, many engines ranging from .049 to some larger gas engines. Never wanted to go bigger than 80" or so on wingspan.
Losing our flying field back in '03 or so was the biggest issue that got me out of the hobby. Hard to find flying fields around Atlanta any more. They're here but not many, especially if you like 'wet' power. The other thing is that I got into restoring an old car and that led to another car and so on. The airplane bug has never left me though. Loved them and built models of them for as long as I can remember.
By the way, that '109' reminded me that I also have a very nice Brian Taylor '109-E' kit. I think it was cut by Bob Holman? Can't remember for sure.
Thanks for the well wishes and the same to you.