Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Topflite Corsair 60 Gold Edition

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Topflite Corsair 60 Gold Edition

Old 02-15-2006, 10:53 PM
rip2000

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Topflite Corsair 60 Gold Edition

I am building the Top Flite Corsair 60 Gold Edition. Any suggestions on setups? I am planning on going with a Saito 100 under the cowel, and Robart 615 Retracts on Mains and a Robart Tail Wheel retract. I have'nt decided on servos for the flaps and ailerons. Any experience on setting this up would be appreciated.
Old 02-16-2006, 01:03 PM
mwunsworth
My Feedback: (13)

Default RE: Topflite Corsair 60 Gold Edition

I built a TF 60 Corsair a few years ago and here are my suggestions:

1) Use two aileron servos, one for each wing. I have one servo in the center of the wing and there is play in the push rods which I don't really like.

2) Saito 100 would be good, but if possible go with a 120. I little extra power is good. I have an OS 91FX 2 stroke and pulls the plane fine but if I did it again, I would go with a 120 4 stroke.

3) I have century jet retracts and they work OK, but I did hear that there are problems with the Roberts for this model, but I don't know first hand. Sierra makes special gear for this plane and I heard they are really nice and strong. I would definately check Sierra out.

4) Take your time and make sure the flaps fit perfect in the wing both when retracted and extended. I rushed on mine and they don't fit perfectely and they are a little off when extended. I had to compesate for this with trim changes.

5) I monocoated mine which turned out OK, but wish that I glassed and painted.

The plane will come out heavier than the TF advertised weight but don't worry, it shouldn't be a problem. Mine weighs 10.5 lbs dry but flies well. It does fish tail in the air but this is kind of normal for Corsairs.

Hope this helps.

-Matt
Old 02-16-2006, 04:22 PM
daw
My Feedback: (6)

The above suggestions will give you a nice flier. I would strengthen the tail (vert stab) it has a tendancy to break on a nose over. If you want to get more in depth look at this; http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_964836/tm.htm
Old 02-17-2006, 09:01 AM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine was built stock with monokote covering. Had a ST90 with a slimline large volumn pitts muffler, perfect match for this plane. The engine has a nice deep growl with that muffler and also fits totally inside the cowl. The only hole I had in the cowl was for exhuast air at the bottom and glow driver. Didnt need a hole for the needle valve. It stayed set and never needed adjusting. I would highly recommend installing the cowl baffle to improve engine cooling. Mine had overheating problems on the first couple of flights. I also used the robart 615 retracts, big huge mistake. My experience was terrible. Robinair or sierra are much better and worth the money. My problem with the 615's were the levers kept bending. Even after installing shock absorbing robostruts. Robart is more than happy to sell you replacement levers. I did all my flying off a grass runway. I'm told that a paved runway would have been much better. Either way, those 615 retracts are only rated at about 12lbs. My plane weighed in at 9.5 lbs. Not much overhead to work with. When it comes to flying it was pure joy, loved it. The flaps work great and are not as hard to build as it might look. Just following the instructions and it'll go easy. The plane settles in nice and easy. All the top flight .60 sized corsairs (come to think of it, all the corsairs) I've flown and seen fly had the tail waggle at high speed. They just do that. Not a big deal. Just dont stall it too low. It'll brake left and require quite a bit of altitude to recover.
I lost mine due to the cowl mounting breaking and the cowl hit the back of the prop, busted a blade off. I deployed the gear but the vibration was so bad before it died that a strut just dropped from the plane. So I retracted the gear. By that time I was too low and it stalled before I could get the nose down. It just rolled over and dove straight into the ground. The cowl takes a lot of abuse when you have gear problems. I just missed some damage during repair and it cost me a plane. Oh well, flying bigger ones now.
Edwin
Old 02-17-2006, 12:34 PM
Hellcat716

I find it hard to believe your needle valve never needs adjusting. I have never ever heard of that. You must fly only on the days the temperature is the same as the previous flight. Amazing.
Old 02-17-2006, 12:43 PM
mwunsworth

I'm the same way. I normally don't adjust the high end needle because I leave it rich all the time and fly it that way regardless of the conditions. If I was going for peak RPM, I would have to frequently adjust it depending on the weather.
Old 02-17-2006, 01:34 PM
eugene

Finishing my TFGE Corsair now.. glass , poly, and paint. .Follow the.good advice on the OS 120 Surpass., using a 14-9 three blade..
My best advice is, do not use the Robart Rotating retracts..You'll be swearing from the first landing. Although they are more , get the Sierra retracts for this plane...solid, dependable, and a work of art... Two problems you will encounter is sheeting the wing upper at the bend, and building and fitting the flaps... Had I to do it over, I would make one large flap from the fuse to the bend, leave the rest solid, and install the aileron..I know it's not scale, but we aint building watches, but planes we hope to fly well with no problems
Old 02-17-2006, 02:42 PM
Edwin

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dont run any of my engines at peak rpm. My ST.75 is only just now starting to need a little tweeking. Probably because it has over 200 run hours on it. Oldest and most reliable engine I have. Might also be due to the warm winters. Summer highs around 100 and winters around 70. When we DO get some cold nobody goes out anyway and just waits for the temp to come back up. Dont know or really care. Got a long flying season.
Edwin
Old 02-17-2006, 03:38 PM
mwunsworth

Edwin:

You're so lucky. It's 20 deg F with snow on the ground here in Michigan. It will be at least a couple months before flying season starts. Haven't flown since last October and getting antsy.
Old 02-17-2006, 11:43 PM
Paul S.

RIP2000 There's a lot of old builds of the TF Corsairs here in old threads. Most are too busy or have rehashed help for us over and over to answer. Try the search feature, I'm going through the same thing gathering ideas and mods that I can do to personalize towards scale. We have a few of these Top Flights going together at about the same time; it great!

Me, I went with the Robinaires, and I'm debating the engine right now. Possibly the RCV sp120 or a YS110. I've never glassed or monocoated so that is to learn yet. Mono doesn't look right to me on a warbird. I guess if I were on a carrier 60 years ago, shining paint would have a different persective. To each his own... I love how these painted planes look on here. These guys really get into it.
The rear retract is easy if you go the Robart route, I can't do the stock wire one. I will probably get the torch out and make something scale.

Please go check out http://bentwings.com/fg1d/fg1d.htm you'll love the pictures of the restoration project. I have a massive folder of pictures from there. Including close-ups of the rear gear to make. Keep the ideas coming guys. How would you build it??

Paul S.
Old 02-18-2006, 08:07 AM
CorsairJock
My Feedback: (90)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Like the guy said: 'do some searching and you'll find a lot of info here'. I for one don't have time to keep re-writing everything.
Some suggested links have already been provided for you.
There are no 'perfect' retracts available. Each set has it's pros and cons. So here is another link, one which provides my summary of available retracts (read post 9):
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_14...tm.htm#3645836

If ANY tread that you read, and then determine that it is truely beneficial to to you, and could be benifial to others, feel free to 'bump it' (post a reply so that it comes back to the top).
Old 02-19-2006, 01:32 PM
Paul S.

Yes, thank you C J, you in particular have given so much great info here, Just read his Corsair threads and replies. What works, what doesn't, +'s/-'s, it's kinda hard choosing which one or group of mods to apply. But all good stuff. It's almost more about time management. Do I read or do I build; hum??? Here is a couple of great threads:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_964836/tm.htm and History buffs, and If I only knew.

Is it cold enough in Mich? (I'm from S.Bend.)
I'm struggling with 80's here in Feb. yeah I know rough.

Paul S.
aka planechucker