Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Byron Mustang w/Original Byron 50--Will it Fly?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Byron Mustang w/Original Byron 50--Will it Fly?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2006, 09:52 PM
spitmad

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Byron Mustang w/Original Byron 50--Will it Fly?

ORIGINAL: mtnflyer14

Alan,
I intend to finish my Byron Mustang this winter. It too is the older single wing design. I have built it as the plans dictated, with the single servo aileron system. You said it is 'sloppy'--enough so that I should consider going to the trouble of redesigning the ailerons for two wing-mounted servos?
Second issue is that I have never dealt with pneumatics before. The lines that I have are the originals and are probably 12-14 years old. Should I go to the expense of buying and installing new lines just to be safe?
My Mustang does not have the gear reduction/4 blade prop modification, but is there any other areas I should be paying attention to as I finish the model? Thanks in advance, Gus

Gus

The aileron mods are relatively easy...go to the RC Warbirds site http://www.rcwarbirds.com/advisorjack4.htm#q86 and you will find the instructions of how to do it.......just a matter of cutting access panels in the wings and installing a ply box .
I have noticed that my Byron is very lazy on the ailerons and does not centre after a roll and takes some pushing to get it out of a steep sweepning turn...........after reading the thread on the aileron mods this explains everything!

regards

Alan

Old 11-08-2006, 07:43 PM
gary9648
My Feedback: (1)

I believe its all over but the shouting concerning Iron-Bay models. Archie is no longer working there and has aquired new employment. Arch was a great help when he was there. I have tried to call also and only got the fax machine. I do not think anyone is there on a day to day basis. just my thoughts
Old 04-30-2007, 06:14 PM
JorgeB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If is not very late, in Buenos Aires there is one [link=http://rc-flying-models.blogspot.com]P-51 from Byron[/link] that still flight. Is it my friend Santiago, He change original retract system. I extend article in my blog http://rc-flying-models.blogspot.com, regards Jorge
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq48317.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	142.8 KB
ID:	675466   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw72363.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	675467  
Old 04-30-2007, 07:00 PM
Brad330l

Never too late to show off a beautiful model.

Brad
Old 06-26-2007, 02:58 PM
bobhooker

Iron Bay

I just acquired a Byron P-51 kit that is about 15 years old. I contacted Iron Bay about the availability of parts and received an e-mail response within on day. They are still alive. [8D]
Old 06-26-2007, 09:59 PM
masteromodels
My Feedback: (11)

WHAT PARTS DO THEY STILL HAVE/ do you have the one piece wing or the later version? i wonder if they ever fixed their boiler that they said they needed for the the foam cores and if they will ever produce the p-51 kits again? anyone hear anything?

thanks bob
Old 06-27-2007, 11:51 AM
bobhooker

I have the one piece wing. They say they have most parts but are out of wing cores at this time. They hope to have more soon. They also show the P-51 kit in their list of kits.

Good Luck.
Old 06-30-2007, 11:06 PM
BuffyTheSaint

Hey all. I just got a set of new blades from Iron Bay for my Mustang today. They are much stiffer then the originals. They won't flex as much too. I'm hoping for some improvement. I received them within 2 weeks. My Mustang was given to me from a club member who passed away. It sat for 20 years before the first flight. On the maiden flight it stalled about 2 feet off the ground during landing. Broke the upper strut leg on the gear. I ordered a couple (one extra,in case[]) from Iron Bay (5years ago) and they came thru. That big prop really does slow it down. You have to keep the power up until touchdown. The roll rate is slow but very realistic. If you can get some good video you can play with playback and see those props working in slow motion. It's a sweet site to see. I like spitmads idea of putting in two servos fo the aerlerons. I'm going to look into it. Here is my Mustang. The paint job is not mine. I haven't had the heart to change it.
Question. I think my P51 has a quadra 35. Did they make it with a 35 or am I wrong?

Brian

Name:	Fd93239.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	202.0 KB
ID:	714402   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez82780.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	203.8 KB
ID:	714403   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xd80821.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	200.2 KB
ID:	714404  
Old 07-01-2007, 08:37 PM
masteromodels

THE VERY EARLY KITS CAME WITH THE QUADRA 35 THEN THE LATER ONES WITH THE QUADRA 40 THE THE QUADRA 42 AND THE LAST KITS CAME WITH THE MUSTANG 50 ENGINE. I HAVE HAD THE ONES WITH THE QUAD 35-40AND 42. IT IS HARD TO TELL THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE 40S AND 42S. IF YOU LOOK BACK AT THE 1ST PAGE OF THIS THREAD THE MUSTANG DONE UP IN BIG BEAUTIFULL DOLL HAS THE QUAD 40. I STILL HAVE A NEW KIT WITH THE QUAD 42.

THANKS BOB

Old 07-01-2007, 08:48 PM
spitmad

Brian

Thanks for the info on the new blades...........please let us all know about flight performance.........my '51 is on the bench for a refurb including the aileron mods, minor repairs to some fuse cracks and a fresh paint job.
From memory the new blades were $88 USD is that still the case ?

cheers

Alan
Old 07-01-2007, 09:12 PM
warbird-RCU
My Feedback: (261)

Yes you are correct, they are $88 US and I have a set if you need them and I am not sure of shipping but it should be no more than $10-$15 at most. These are Iron Bay blades. Thanks
Old 07-01-2007, 11:04 PM
ram3500-RCU
My Feedback: (221)

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: masteromodels

HEY ARCHIE I 'AM NOT TO SURE THESE FELLOW REALLY KNOW HOW THE P-51 FLYS WITH THE REDUCTION UNIT. I HAVE HAD A NUMBER OF THEM OVER THE YEARS AND IF YOU SET THAT ENG UP CORRECTLY AND HAVE THE UNIT LINED UP PROPERLY IT FLYS GREAT. I STILL HAVE 2 OF THEM WITH THE REDUCTION UNIT AND QUADRA 40 AND 42 AND THEY HAUL PRETTY DARN GOOD. IN FACT THEY FLY VERY SCALE LIKE THE WAY A MUSTANG SHOULD FLY. NOT VERTICAL OUT OF SITE LIKE YOUR OVER POWERED STUNT PLANES. AND THOSE BLADES ARE AS TOUGH AS NAILS I STILL HAVE THE ORIGINAL SET ON MY FIRST ONE WITH THE ONE PIECE WING. NOTHING LIKE THAT BIG 4 BLADED TURNING AROUND 2800 OR 3K.
Question. Have you had to replace any belts and if so, where are they found. thanks.
Old 07-01-2007, 11:07 PM
warbird-RCU
My Feedback: (261)

You can find the belts from Gates they are sold at Napa or should be able to be ordered at any auto parts that carry gates belts I think the number is M-450. Hope this helps.
Old 07-02-2007, 12:52 PM
BuffyTheSaint

Here are some before and after pics of the new blades from Iron Bay. They will flex some but alot stiffer then before. Sure hope it helps. The blades that I removed were the originals and they had the factory sticker on one blade. My Mustange is P5181 Serial# 1489. I think the 81 means made in 81. Just curious....Who has the oldest Byron P51? If you know your # post it and we'll see where it goes.

Brian.

Name:	Rp42586.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	156.5 KB
ID:	715128   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn40125.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	715129  
Old 07-02-2007, 01:25 PM
butlern
My Feedback: (15)

where did you find the serial number, Brian?
Old 07-02-2007, 01:52 PM
TLH101
My Feedback: (90)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just curious how well the engine will turn up with the stiffer blades, since they now will not loose as much pitch, (flatten out) under a load?
Old 07-02-2007, 03:05 PM
BuffyTheSaint

The serial # was on the sticker which was on one of the blades.
Old 07-09-2007, 04:03 PM
Cub_Boy
My Feedback: (6)

Hey Guys,

I am picking up an Orginal Kit (best to my knowledge) Engine, Prop Blades, Spinner and I think all of the accessories tomorrow evening. Does anyone have any tips or trick that will help me to build this P-51 and scale it out nicely for my next years competition plane?

Rick,
Old 07-11-2007, 10:19 PM
masteromodels

IS IT THE ONE PIECE WING OR THE PLUG IN WING? WHAT ENG COMES WITH IT? IS IT WITH THE OLD STYLE RETRACTS OR THE NEWER ONES? A LOT OF QUESTIONS TO BE ASKED WHEN PURCHASING THIS KIT.

THANKS BOB
Old 07-11-2007, 11:45 PM
Cub_Boy

Bob,

It is all original equipment from 1984; when I opened the 2 boxes it was like opening a time capsule. The engine is mounted in the plane with the gear reduction system (Quadra 42). Best I can determine it is the one piece wing; I am assuming it is the old style retracts since it is original to 1984.

I just picked this up last night; after going through all of the parts against the original parts list looks like I hit a gold mine. All of the original parts are present including three sets of flying blades, two canopies, retracting canopy kit and full retract, wheels and gear door set.

The mailing label on the boxes say it was shipped to the original owner on August 8th, 1984. This stuff has been sitting in the boxes and original packing for almost 23 years waiting to be built and flown.

If I said I paid $400.00 dollars for this would you believe me?
Old 07-12-2007, 08:02 PM
masteromodels

THAT IS A GREAT BUY NO MATTER HOW OLD THE KIT IS. EVERYTHING SOUNDS GOOD. THE ONLY THING I WOULD TRY TO CHECK ON IS THE ENG. I THINK IN 1984 THEY WERE USING THE QUAD 35, WHICH DOES NOT HAVE TO MUCH POWER, THEN THEY CAME OUT WITH THE QUAD. 40 THEN THE QUAD 42. I CALLD THE QUAD REP. YEARS AGO AND THERE WAS A WAY THE TELL THEM APART YOU MIGHT WANT TO TRY AND CONTACT SOMEONE. ALSO THE ORIG. LANDING GEAR STRUTS DID NOT HAVE CHROMED SLEVES OVER THE PLASTIC STRUCT. YOU COULD TRY IRON BAY FOR THOSE IF YOURS DO NOT HAVE THEM.ALSO THE ORIG. PISTONS WERE ONLY AIR UP AND GRAVITY AND SPRING DOWN. THESE ARE THINGS IF YOU DO NOT HAVE I WOULD GREATLY TRY TO CHANGE THEM. LET ME KNOW AND MAYBE I CAN HELP. LOKE I SAID IT WAS A GREAT BUY.

THANKS BOB
Old 09-10-2007, 09:09 PM
otto17

I bought a complete Byron P 51 Mustang about a year ago and had a lot of questions about it
and thanks to this RC Universe thread all of my questions have been answered. I have decided
not to use the Byron reduction unit on the prop. I was going to adapt a a Fuji 50 to it replacing
the Quadra engine but have decided to go with a two bladed prop directly on the Fuji 50. Mine
is a one piece wing which I've decided to put a servo on each aileron. Have already purchased
a set of Robart Retracts for it. I plan on doing it in the Flying Undertaker theme. Thanks again
for the all of the discussions and input from the various modelers on line and to RC Universe for
presenting this avenue of discussion.
Old 09-10-2007, 09:17 PM
Cub_Boy

Hi otto17,

I have talked several times to John at Iron Bay, based on those conversations I am going the opposite way. I plan on getting the Fuji 50 electronic ignition and shaft adapter from Iron Bay. I really want to fly mine with the 4 bladed prop; that was my biggest incentive to buy the kit.

I know they will both turn out GORGEOUS! and you and I will both be very happy campers :-)

Rick,
Old 09-10-2007, 09:49 PM
masteromodels

I JUST FLEW MINE AGAIN LAST WEEK HAD A GREAT TIME WATCHING THAT BIG 4 BLADED PROP SPINNING. IT IS STILL ONE OF MY ALL TIME FAVORITE P-51S. HOPE YOU GET AS MUCH FUN WITH YOURS AS I HAVE HAD WITH MINE OVER THE YEARS.

THANKS BOB
Old 09-12-2007, 10:44 AM
rschaffer

Does anyone know where to get another one piece wing for the byron mustang? I have an opportunity to get an original 1 piece wing mustang kit, but it is missing the left wing panel of the one piece wing.

Thanks,

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.