Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Byron Original

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2022, 06:25 PM
Roddraym

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BusyBody
Byron Original started from the companies known as Godberson manufacturing in Ida Grove, Iowa. Byron Godberson, the founder, got his startin the early 50's ( I believe) frrom developing the first hydraulic ram fillted to corn wagons. Other business concerns at the time also included Godberson Construction, and later, Godberson Manufacturing, Inc. You can probrably see their equipment still in use today, as they pioneered what is known in the industry as Slip Form Pavers. The name on their equipment is GOMACO. I don't recall when Byron Originals started, but Byron Godberson was an accomplished pilot, and his personal residence overlooked the Ida Grove, Iowa municipal airport. His home was modeled after a medeivl castle, and this is where he hosted an annual get together, until it became too large. The annual get together later moved to Des Moines, Iowa (just north on I80 in I35), and I don't know if it is still going. Anyhow, I believe Byrons Originals went out of production in either 1999 or 2000, and none of the tooling was ever sold to anyone else from what I know. I know that in 1989 I did attend the annual event, and had a tour of the facility where the kits were made, processed and packaged. While I was deployed overseas in 2002, I recall reading that Byron Godberson had passed away.

Anyhow,I have 5 of his unassembled kits in the box. 2 V35B Bonanza's, Baron 58, G17 Staggerwing with retract kit, and a Glassair RG with one wing (the other one broke).

Hope this helps peek your interest.
This is a longgggg-shot , but did you sell your V35B? And By chance do you have a PDF copy of the V35B manual?
Thanks,
Rod