Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

JDM FW190 "Black 3"

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

JDM FW190 "Black 3"

Old 01-12-2010, 01:48 PM
NE0
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: JDM FW190

OK guys, I need your help. I need to replace the spinner on my FW190, I want the same one again, but for the life of me I can't remember where I got it. [:@]

It's carbon fiber with an aluminum backplate but it's just a gloss black finish on the outside (not the CF weave look). I liked the fact that I got the black finish without having to paint it.

Anybody recognize this spinner or have any ideas where I might find one like it?

Thx,

Tom
Old 01-12-2010, 02:35 PM
NE0

Correction... it's not carbon fiber, it's fiberglass (gel-coated black).

Tom
Old 01-12-2010, 02:47 PM
Ham639
My Feedback: (13)

Tom,

I think that's a CB Associate's

Chuck
Old 01-12-2010, 02:50 PM
cold_reboot
My Feedback: (20)

How many inches is the backplate? If you had to add any lead to the nose for balance (can't remember if you did or not) you could always go with spun aluminum and lose some lead maybe. Plus it'd be less prone to damage.
Old 01-12-2010, 03:06 PM
cold_reboot

If Ham is referring to CB-Tatone, the spinner is a 4 1/4", but they are currently out of stock and have been showing as "In Process" for as long as I've been checking in on them (Mecoa.com). I also think they are only plastic and not Carbon Fiber but may be wrong. As such, they have some flex at higher engine speeds. Gene Barton (GeneBarton.com) has 190 spinners that are spun aluminum in 4" and 4 1/2". The 4" is 1/6th of an inch on the small side for a 1/6th scale TA152. One of those may be a good option for you if you have trouble finding the CF your looking for.
Old 01-12-2010, 03:22 PM
NE0

Thanks guys, I have to check the size when I get home from work tonight. It's actually fiberglass, not CF. I can go heavier (Aluminum) if necessary and take some nose lead back out, but I have a couple issues with that...

One is that all my lead is poured into the front lip of the cowl ring with epoxy and will be a real bear to get any out... I'll probably have to grind it out. Also, when I nosed my 190 into the ground on my maiden landing, it crushed the prop & spinner but did no damage to anything else. I'm kind of thinking that the spinner acted like an engineered "crumple zone" in a car. I think that a metal spinner would not have crushed and it would have probably sent a lot of shock into the prop shaft, crank and engine mounts.

I'm thinking maybe it's a better option to have the spinner crush instead. To me it's not much different than the prop... Whenever we nose our planes over it breaks our props (every time) but doesn't usually hurt the engine. If our props were metal and did not break, simple nose-overs would be disastrous to the engines. Therefore, props breaking is a good thing... Perhaps spinners crushing is the same... in my case it was.

I think the spinner that DJ Aerotech sells for the SisT 190 will work, but I have to call them to get a few questions answered. Unfortunately it is white, so I'll have to paint and balance it. []

Tom
Old 01-12-2010, 03:30 PM
NE0

I looked at the one HAM mentioned and it looks like the same one to me too. I don't remember getting it there, but it's been a couple years or so ago now.

I see their site still says that stock for this spinner is "in process" but it also says that the black replacement cones ARE in stock. I'll have to measure mine tonight and see if it's the same size.... maybe I will get lucky and just be able to buy the replacement cone.

Cheers,

Tom
Old 01-12-2010, 06:46 PM
NE0

Unfortunately it turns out mine is 4" after all... back to the drawing board. []
Old 01-12-2010, 07:14 PM
cold_reboot

Or just buy the Gene Barton 4" Spun Aluminum and keep her off her nose
Old 01-12-2010, 09:09 PM
NE0

ORIGINAL: cold_reboot

Or just buy the Gene Barton 4'' Spun Aluminum and keep her off her nose
Now there's a thought!

That's probably my best and only option at this point. I hoped to avoid cutting, painting and balancing the aluminum spinner but I don't see that I'll have a choice. I am really kicking myself for not writing down where I got my original spinner. At this point I doubt they sell it anymore anyway or else I think I would have found it by now... I've looked everywhere!

Tom
Old 01-13-2010, 05:53 PM
wulf190
My Feedback: (19)

Tom, you can get a spinner from Phil at FighterAces as well, and also from Graham at Tiger Models as well. All of mine are from Barton. My buddy had one of the glass gel-coated cones, and I was always a little critical of it...right up until the point at which the spinner and prop departed the plane in an initial turn...read: destroyed plane. Never was able to discern the true reason for losing it, and it probably wasn't the spinner at fault, but I know that I like the peace of mind the aluminum ones provide me. The additional weight would probably be pretty much un-noticeable as I know my pal flew his Holman substantially nose heavy the first flight, and even with all the extra weight up front, it still flew pretty well...albeit noticeably nose heavy. Just my 2 cents.

M.
Old 01-14-2010, 07:16 AM
NE0

Thanks for the info. It looks like Tiger Aces only offer the 1/4 scale spinner (mine is 1/5 scale) and I believe the one Phil has is the SisT spinner. I can get the same one from DJAerotech here in the US without having to go through the UK. I have a call in with DJ but no response yet. I'll probably either use theirs or go with the Barton spinner.

Thx,

Tom
Old 01-14-2010, 11:14 AM
NE0

Turns out it looks like my spinner was the one for the SisT FW190A after all. I just talked to DJ Aerotech and ordered a replacement cone from him. Should fit right into my backplate... yay! Unfortunately it's not black anymore, so I will have to paint it after all.
Old 01-14-2010, 04:25 PM
Ram-bro
My Feedback: (101)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the spiner on my D9 from IMPscale should fit.
Old 01-18-2010, 10:11 AM
NE0

ORIGINAL: NE0

Turns out it looks like my spinner was the one for the SisT FW190A after all. I just talked to DJ Aerotech and ordered a replacement cone from him. Should fit right into my backplate... yay! Unfortunately it's not black anymore, so I will have to paint it after all.
Great service from DJ Aerotech... the new SisT fiberglass cone arrived in one day, perfect condition. I drilled, sanded, did the prop cuts, primed and painted this weekend. It's a little bit thicker and stronger than my original cone and fits my old backplate perfect. Looks great... You really can't tell it from my original one to look at it.

Yay!

Tom
Old 08-30-2010, 12:15 PM
NE0

Flight Update!

After spending a good bit of time doing a little repair, a little tweaking/modding, and quite a bit of Gremlin chasing, I finally got enough stick time in to brave taking up Black 3 again this weekend and it was 100% successful!

Take off was much better this time, and it once again flew like a champ the entire flight (man I love flying this plane)... then I went on to flying circuits with flaps down to test them out and after about 3 low dirty passes down the runway I felt pretty ready to try the landing again.

So, I lined her up, started decreasing speed and watched the gradual descent to the runway where I dropped smoothly onto her mains, rolled out about 15 feet then let the tail come down. I used up most of the runway but it was smooth as can be with no problems whatsoever... wooohooo!

I noticed that dropping the gear really pulled the nose down a bit since they have so much forward rake to them, but deploying flaps offset it somewhat. I still had to keep feathering a little up elevator into it to keep the nose up when slowing down with full flaps but it was not a problem at all. I was AMAZED at how stable it flew with full flaps and gear down. Dirty circuits were almost no different than flying clean except they were just slower.

It had no mushy/squirrely behavior at very low speeds with flaps and maintained a great deal of control surface authority even at those low speeds... very pleasantly surprised. Trying to land without flaps last year was definitely the main problem and I am no longer afraid of trying it again now. The heavier springs I put in the Oleo struts this Winter made a big difference too... they are perfect now. Also, I think the decreased latency with the new 2.4ghz radio was an added plus.

The bad news is we didn't have any cameras at the field so I have no video or pics (this time).

Tom
Old 08-30-2010, 06:36 PM
wulf190
My Feedback: (19)

[sm=thumbup.gif][sm=thumbup.gif]

Yup...the above sounds exactly like my experiences with the 190A too Tom. There's some things the plane is really awesome at....Split S'ing with a roll on the end rocks on this bird.....any hard tight high speed gripping corner at low altitude...also an andrenalin rush...will pull straight through it with some rudder feed. Glad your digging on it now. Takes a flight to learn what it likes indeed.

Amazing those flaps isn't it? Doesn't seem like they would really make such a big difference looking at them...but they sure do. The thing sure does start falling out of the sky pretty fast once the throttle is at idle. Flaps sure do add peace of mind seeing how much lift the wing will give you with about a quarter throttle coming in...cut throttle a few feet above, and same thing every time....smooth on the mains. Also, if you've not had the joy yet....try to stay out of a crosswind situation. They don't like that at all either.

Way to go man.

M.
Old 08-31-2010, 08:02 AM
ticketec
My Feedback: (2)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Great to hear that she's back in the air Tom!

Yeah Fw-190 are one really nice flying machine... I was just down in my workshop working a little more on the repairs to mine, and miss it heaps.

Thanks

dave
Old 09-28-2010, 10:36 PM
NE0

ORIGINAL: wulf190

[sm=thumbup.gif][sm=thumbup.gif]

Yup...the above sounds exactly like my experiences with the 190A too Tom. There's some things the plane is really awesome at....Split S'ing with a roll on the end rocks on this bird.....any hard tight high speed gripping corner at low altitude...also an andrenalin rush...will pull straight through it with some rudder feed. Glad your digging on it now. Takes a flight to learn what it likes indeed.

Amazing those flaps isn't it? Doesn't seem like they would really make such a big difference looking at them...but they sure do. The thing sure does start falling out of the sky pretty fast once the throttle is at idle. Flaps sure do add peace of mind seeing how much lift the wing will give you with about a quarter throttle coming in...cut throttle a few feet above, and same thing every time....smooth on the mains. Also, if you've not had the joy yet....try to stay out of a crosswind situation. They don't like that at all either.

Way to go man.

M.
Thanks bro, I wish I could get her out again. Seems like every time I have day off, the weather sucks. Thanks for the heads up on the cross-winds... I was wondering about that!

Tom
Old 09-29-2010, 12:44 AM
fw190
My Feedback: (37)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had 300+ flights on my D9 and about 65 on my 190A before selling it. They are both great flying machines, you just need to catch the rudder early on take off or you can loose direction quickly. Without headwind the only thing that slowed down my 190s was about 85 degree flaps or it eats up the entire runway.
Old 09-29-2010, 06:15 AM
LDM
My Feedback: (15)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tom , did you finish the interior yet , we were all watching the site