Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

What happened to the Byron B-25 molds

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

What happened to the Byron B-25 molds

Old 05-04-2006, 09:42 PM
-JC-
My Feedback: (26)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What happened to the Byron B-25 molds

Anyone know what happened to the large molds for the Byron B-25?

Sitting in a barn somewhere?
Old 05-04-2006, 09:49 PM
nemesis4u
My Feedback: (77)

Default RE: What happened to the Byron B-25 molds

WHere are all those cool props and large aircraft carriers, PT boats, TANKS etc?????????????
That large C-47?? Man so much cool stuff....just out there somewhere...wish someone would bring back the STRIKING BACK SHOW!!!!
Old 05-05-2006, 08:00 AM
F106A
My Feedback: (2)

Paul replied to me about the same question:
"F106A- Byron sold off the rights and property of Striking Back to a DesMoines group. They continued Striking Back on some land in Ankeny and the first year was 1993. That was the year of the floods and rain so it was a soggy mess. Ankeny held the event until 1995 and then closed it down. The planes were donated to the Confederate Air Force and it is my understanding that they are stored in DesMoines somewhere. "
Jon
Old 05-05-2006, 10:48 AM
shanksow
My Feedback: (2)

What about the aircraft carriers? I remember seeing a photograph of the Yorktown sitting on a parking lot (without the water of course). What about the Akagi as well. Any photos of that carrier?
Old 05-05-2006, 11:34 AM
Paul Grubich
My Feedback: (1)

I think the molds were created by an individual for Byron Industries many years ago. Last time I was in his basement I saw only the C-47 mold. I am sure they are long gone. There was one B-25 in private possesion at one time. The B-25 pilots were allowed to take these planes home for storage and repair. The larger multi engine planes were stored at the show grounds.

Today the Confederate Air Force has possesion of the larger planes because it was to much of a liability to sell or give these to someone that would fly them. They are out there somewhere.

I am putting all my Striking Back videos on my site www.rcwarbirds.com and just uploaded the rarest of them all, my video of the two B-25's colliding in midair.

Paul
Old 05-05-2006, 01:59 PM
bla bla

I once inquired about buying the molds for the Byron collection when they stated that they where getting out of the business back in the 90's.
I was told over the phone that the starting price was $50.000! I politely thanked the gentleman and put the phone down before bursting out laughing.
I just couldn't imagine ever being able to sell enough og those old, over built and really heay kits to recoup the purchase price of only the molds never mind the materials and man hours, the wood, accessories packaging, the factury over head costs, staff and about one million other things. Then I suddenly realised why Byron was selling up and asking for so much... they'ed obviously discovered the same thing!
Old 05-05-2006, 02:11 PM
gary9648
My Feedback: (1)

Thanks Paul for the memories. I flew out there a few times and worked the flight line. Couldn't get my model in my plane. Besides my buddies wanted to come along. LOL Greatest air show I have ever seen bar none! Byron was a great man and loved sharing his pasion for aviation with us all.
Gary Webb
Old 05-07-2006, 10:18 AM
jonkoppisch
My Feedback: (162)

Not sure what size the byron b25 was but I sure wish that someone would put out a decent priced, easy to build 120" b25!!!!!
Old 05-08-2006, 11:16 AM
geardaddy
My Feedback: (27)

The B-25 was 1/5 at about 170" and a nice size. any interest in a 1/5 A-26 out there?
Old 05-08-2006, 09:58 PM
foodstick

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I THINK some of the airplanes, and even a tank are at the Ankeny airport in a museum area? I can't promise you that as I haven't been there. However the aircraft carriers were cut up and hauled off in the last few weeks...

I had a chance to crawl over the carriers a few years ago, they are HUGE or were...
Old 05-08-2006, 10:00 PM
jonkoppisch
My Feedback: (162)

170" B25, Man that would be SWEET!!!