Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Royal Bearcat

Old 07-31-2006, 07:46 AM
Kelsey_B

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Royal Bearcat

Sammy,

I have been building parts to vacuum form canopies. I have several old kits, and I want the capability to make replacement parts for them.

when I saw your request, I decided to begin with the Roayl Bearcat canopy.

The vacumm box and aluminum frame is complete, and I made my first plaster cast Saturday.

Here is a pic of my 1976 Royal canopy, and the plug made from the canopy. After 24 hours, the plug is cold to the touch. I'm not sure if it is cured or if it matters. I'll give it a couple of days and coat it with finishing resin.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw68117.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	499597   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ie97918.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	35.9 KB
ID:	499598  
Old 07-31-2006, 10:45 AM
jaka

Hi!
Why not build the Conquest 1/American JET pylon version of the Bearcat , smartest looking Bearcat there is and with a canopy which is much easier to make/find.
http://www.davidpride.com/Aviation/NASM_100.htm
http://www.warbirdaeropress.com/Race...lanes_page.htm

Regards!
Jan K
Sweden
Old 08-07-2006, 11:46 PM
goonybird1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi guys,

By way of introduction, my name is Mike, I joined RCU today and immediately sought out his forum on the Bearcat. I purchased a 1/7th Royal kit in 1980 and just pulled it from the rafters 2 weeks ago. I finally retired from my demanding job and framed up the model last week. I have an affection for this airplane and looking into the future, would like to purchase another for a more scale-like build than I have planned for this one. I know the "Royal Products Co" has been out of business for many years now. I wonder if anyone else purchased the manufacturing rights for this kit and if so, who??? If any of you could answer my question it would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

Mike
Old 08-08-2006, 07:49 AM
Kelsey_B

Mike,

This kit will be very hard to find. The last one I saw on ebay was three months ago, and it went for 400.00. Maybe one shows up every once in awhile on rcu marketplace, but I don't check it very often. I see more P-38's and Corsairs than the Bearcat. I guess it was not as popular as some of the other kits.

If you intend to build another, make tracings of your original parts and cut out your own kit. You said you had framed up part of it. Obviously, you won't be able to do that with any parts already glued together.

Lets see some pics of your work!! Don't see this one very often.
Old 08-08-2006, 09:08 AM
dionysusbacchus
My Feedback: (25)

ORIGINAL: goonybird1

Hi guys,

I know the "Royal Products Co" has been out of business for many years now. I wonder if anyone else purchased the manufacturing rights for this kit and if so, who??? If any of you could answer my question it would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

Mike
Marutaka of Japan, who is the owner of the rights to the plans, also closed it's doors forever about a year and a half ago. I do know that at least one company here in the States was trying to buy the rights and tooling from Marutaka, but they would not sell for some unknown reason. As far as I know everything is going to just remain in limbo. Interestingly Marutaka started going to more formed parts toward the end, the Black Widow I have has MANY formed plastic parts. I also have the Stuka, and it has lot's of plastic, unlike the older kits that required you to carve wood for everything. I have molds for most all of the old Warbird stuff, in cases like the P-51 where a canopy is available that is very similar to the kit one (Top Flite) I did not see a point in making a copy. I have both the TF and Royal Canopy mold for the Bearcat (Top Flite canopy is more realistic in my opinion) and I also have molds for the Royal B-25, P-38, ME109, FW190, Corsair, Stuka, Zero, Hellcat and P-61. I also have the cockpit kits, drop-tanks and some extra parts for those planes where they were available. I don't have that much stuff, but what molds I do have takes up every bit of an extra room!
Old 08-08-2006, 09:41 AM
Tripower455
My Feedback: (2)

Dion,
Any word on the CMP Hellcat stuff... I'd like to get the whole shebang from you...... I also need a couple of Corsair cockpits and birdcage canopies if you get a chance!
Old 08-09-2006, 11:27 PM
goonybird1

Kelsey B,

Just a note to thank you for you response of 8/08. Luckily I saved all of the tree sheets for ribs/ply fuse formers, etc., to use as templates for scratch building a second Bearcat. Based on your blurb and Dionysusbahaccus's , I probably wont find another "In Box " kit anytime soon. I didn't realize how much these kits have increased in value over the years. I found my counter receipt in the box from 1978 for $99.00!!! That was retail price from a little a Hobby shop in Santa Monica CA.

Good idea about posting pics of the project. Don't yet own a digital camera but plan on buying one soon. Think I'll borrow one from a neighbor to capture pics of progress thus far. Will share them with you ASAP.

Thanks again,

Mike

Old 08-10-2006, 12:16 AM
goonybird1

Dionysusbacchus,

Thanks for your response and info on the demise of the marutaka Co. of Japan. As I share with Kelsey B., I'll be cutting a new kit from the original kit templates I saved. Looks like both of you guys have a lot of experience with vacuforming. I have none myself so will be contacting you later in my projects. I noticed a crack in the canopy supplied in my kit. Obviously from years of being tossed around.

Thanks again for your help.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 08-10-2006, 11:41 AM
Kelsey_B

That figures!!

After I talked about this being a hard kit to find, one shows up on ebay. The auction is only one day old, and has 4 bids already.

[link=http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140017243841&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:US:1]Royal Bearcat[/link]
Old 08-11-2006, 08:54 PM
goonybird1

Kelsey B.

Thanks for the heads up on e-bay. Will keep an eye on this. Up to 9 bids now!

Mike[&o]
Old 08-12-2006, 01:44 AM
SMUGator

Thanks for the heads-up! I'm off to bid!

Just kidding, and good luck!

Tom
Old 08-18-2006, 02:15 PM
Kelsey_B

I'd like to know how the flaps and ailerons were hinged. I purchased the detail book by Christopher Chant, but it doesn't show the control surfaces. Were they similar to the hellcat?
Old 08-19-2006, 04:42 PM
Tripower455

ORIGINAL: Kelsey_B

I'd like to know how the flaps and ailerons were hinged. I purchased the detail book by Christopher Chant, but it doesn't show the control surfaces. Were they similar to the hellcat?
Best I can tell, it has 3 faired hinges on the bottom of each flap, very similar to the Hellcat.... I've got several books, including the Super Profile book by Chant, and not one good shot of the flaps or any of the surfaces!

The ailerons look like the hellcat too. Not surprising. They usually stuck with what worked!

HTH!

Old 08-31-2006, 01:03 AM
awolmodel

This is my first time writing on RCU.
I just acquired what was apparently Royal's research kit from Marutaka for Royal to plan their production version of the F8F Bearcat kit. However, it does not have any canopy, and am looking for information on how to purchase a reproduction canopy for the Royal Bearcat? Thanks! Alan
Old 08-31-2006, 09:35 AM
Kelsey_B

awolmodel,

I believe Marutaka has always been the producer of this kit. Royal just imported it and put some plastic goodies with it.

I am working on this canopy, but I have not had a lot of success. The guys in scratch building pointed out a couple of fundamental things I've been doing wrong. I also did not like using the .030 PETG.

I now have a sheet of .040 to play with and a long weekend coming up. I'll give it another shot. I also promised Concordefan one of these when I get it figured out.

Keith
Old 08-31-2006, 05:22 PM
awolmodel

Thanks Keith. Would appreciate any assistance with the replacement canopy. Good luck on your molding work.

I should have been a little clearer; the kit I have appears to be a/the kit Royal obtained from Marutaka in preparation for their (re)packaging (of the Marutaka kit). There is a hobby shop here in the Denver area that appears to have acquired a lot of Royal odds and ends years ago and still has some left. I know that the previous owner of store had been (at the least) friends with the owner(s) of Royal R/C. My kit is in completely unlabeled by has some notations (presumably by Royal staff) about cg locations and some other notes, had some loose Royal logos which were likely being placed on the instructions in relavent positions.
Old 10-09-2006, 07:30 AM
Kelsey_B

Got a chance to get close to a Bearcat, so I tried to take some close pics to get some detail. Maybe these will help someone.

Name:	Vt57246.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	537644   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt61064.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	537645   Click image for larger version

Name:	Db84009.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	33.1 KB
ID:	537646   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id96934.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	537647   Click image for larger version

Name:	Eb86773.jpg
Size:	33.2 KB
ID:	537648   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xt59961.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	537649   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn36591.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	537650   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj26555.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	537651  

Old 10-09-2006, 07:40 AM
Kelsey_B

more....

Name:	Mj24752.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	537661   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up48631.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	537662   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx71392.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	537663   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zv67278.jpg
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	537664   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu61515.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	537665   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm36385.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	537666   Click image for larger version

Name:	Om32706.jpg
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	537667   Click image for larger version

Name:	To45368.jpg
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	537668  

Old 10-09-2006, 09:59 PM
Tripower455

THANKS for the great shots Kelsey B!

Awesome detail!
Old 10-10-2006, 10:45 AM
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sweet, question for the bearcat people.. did these birds have landing lights? I crawled all over the one here in bellingham, and cant seem to find any on any pictures of them... anyone know?

Thanks
Old 06-10-2009, 03:39 PM
I-fly-any-and-all
My Feedback: (1)

Wow Kelsey quite highly detailed work! If I didn't know better I'd say I might know you!
Old 04-11-2010, 10:16 PM
I-fly-any-and-all

ORIGINAL: dionysusbacchus

ORIGINAL: goonybird1

Hi guys,

I know the ''Royal Products Co'' has been out of business for many years now. I wonder if anyone else purchased the manufacturing rights for this kit and if so, who??? If any of you could answer my question it would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

Mike
Marutaka of Japan, who is the owner of the rights to the plans, also closed it's doors forever about a year and a half ago. I do know that at least one company here in the States was trying to buy the rights and tooling from Marutaka, but they would not sell for some unknown reason. As far as I know everything is going to just remain in limbo. Interestingly Marutaka started going to more formed parts toward the end, the Black Widow I have has MANY formed plastic parts. I also have the Stuka, and it has lot's of plastic, unlike the older kits that required you to carve wood for everything. I have molds for most all of the old Warbird stuff, in cases like the P-51 where a canopy is available that is very similar to the kit one (Top Flite) I did not see a point in making a copy. I have both the TF and Royal Canopy mold for the Bearcat (Top Flite canopy is more realistic in my opinion) and I also have molds for the Royal B-25, P-38, ME109, FW190, Corsair, Stuka, Zero, Hellcat and P-61. I also have the cockpit kits, drop-tanks and some extra parts for those planes where they were available. I don't have that much stuff, but what molds I do have takes up every bit of an extra room!
I do know that at least one company here in the States was trying to buy the rights and tooling from Marutaka, but they would not sell for some unknown reason.

Luke, who?
Old 04-11-2010, 10:33 PM
bigtim
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't think Luke even responds to RCU threads any more, you seem to be the resurector of old Marutaka/Royal threads, haven't seen this one for several years.

it would be interesting to see some of the Royal kits reworked and up graded to up to date standards there catalog has some interesting model types.
Old 05-27-2010, 08:06 PM
I-fly-any-and-all

ORIGINAL: bigtim

I don't think Luke even responds to RCU threads any more, you seem to be the resurector of old Marutaka/Royal threads, haven't seen this one for several years.

it would be interesting to see some of the Royal kits reworked and up graded to up to date standards there catalog has some interesting model types.

Yea I guess your right he doen't respond to threads as due to many confrontations.
I would go nuts to see the kits available again as I was just starting out in R/c when I saw the ads for the Marutaka kits in r/c modeler from hobby barn in Arizona.
Wish I would have bought the b-17 when I saw it this was 8 or 9 years ago.
Yes Tim I do seem to be the one resurrecting old Marutaka / Royal threads as I found a video series on youtube detailing how to use tooling e-poxy to mkae molds of planes and make fiberglass clones of them your self for cheaper than the cost of the kit. Video series is by http://www.youtube.com/b1heqh54
I'm building a royal .60 size corsair from scratch, am on hold as I need to resheet top of horizontal and order plans, just ordered a reproduction aluminum cowl off flea bay.
My plan is that when my corsair is complete I will make a mold of the fuse and wings and duplicate it and sell them.
I'm going to be looking into what it would take to acquire the rights to do so. Marutaka might not have renewed the copy rights and this is highly probable as u.s.wing on the bay sells copied plans and canopies as well as cowls. And if I'm correct, when they went under I don't see a reason for them to continue to pay to have the copy rights and patents renewed.

And lastly I just graduated from a trade school as a machinist and making aluminum cowls shouldn't be hard to do, probably aluminum sheet metal on a lathe and use a fulcrum lever to bend it to the contour and use either a carbide cutting bit or high speed steel to do the final cuts. Or it might involve making a plug and two halves of a mold (male and female) and use a high speed press.
Old 06-21-2013, 07:41 PM
RCUer23843
Banned

Help, I am looking for a Royal F8F bearcat Canopy to buy?