Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Modifying a TF P-51 into a dago red

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Modifying a TF P-51 into a dago red

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2002, 09:05 PM
KingAirJockey
Banned
My Feedback: (-2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Modifying a TF P-51 into a dago red

Has anyone ever done this or know how to go about doing it?thanks
Old 02-05-2002, 02:35 AM
magnum

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have considered this. I would also love to make a Voodoo version.

Check with the member hattend I think he has done this kind of mod. Search under this forum for Dago Red and you will find some more info.
Old 02-05-2002, 03:17 AM
KingAirJockey
Banned

Thanks,after looking at the dago's website,it looks like it should be a piece of cake to do.The only problem I forsee is the canopy,maybe for now I'll just have it built up and paint it blue like the world models version.
Old 02-26-2002, 07:12 PM
hattend
My Feedback: (20)

Originally posted by magnum
I have considered this. I would also love to make a Voodoo version.

Check with the member hattend I think he has done this kind of mod. Search under this forum for Dago Red and you will find some more info.
Hi!,

Yep, I did a Dago Red bash out of a Top Flight P-51D. It was a non-gold kit done around the 79-81 timeframe. I gave it away because the military shipped me overseas so I don't know if it ever flew or not. OS .61 FSR/Rhom Retracts

Anyway, here is what I did: Cut one tip bay off each wing, I then drew a TLAR (That Looks About Right) line from the top of the canopy back to about the halfway point for the turtle deck and carved the canopy turtledeck out of a block of wood fairing the whole thing into the fuselage and then bought a replacement Sig canopy and cut it down to "TLAR" too.

It is a pretty simple bash as you only have to modify the top of the fuse and cut the wing down. The color scheme is what really sets it off and the kit is sport scale anyway so from 10 feet away it really looks "right".

Hope this helps
Don
Old 02-26-2002, 07:19 PM
KingAirJockey
Banned

Don,thats pretty much my thinking on this one too,still looking around for a canopy that might work.
Old 02-26-2002, 07:44 PM
hattend
My Feedback: (20)

Sig had a canopy that was almost perfect. Of course, that was 20 years ago so I can't help you out with a part number or anything like that.

The stock TF canopy has too much "hump" or headspace in the middle part so it would be tough to cut down.

Go to your local hobby shop (if you have one) and ask to see all of his canopy stock. I'll bet you could find one that works. Or you could always carve a plug and pull one yourself or like you said, just make one out of wood and paint it black.

Don